Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
My elder garrus are hitting 70-100 and it's AOE. They devastate groups when I bother to take them off passive.

Only reasons ever to pick bull over garru are simple preference for bulls cause you like bulls for whatever reason or because bulls don't have lanterns. Garru lanterns suck rear end in night where enemies see you easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://steamcommunity.com/games/233860/announcements/detail/3539167513685063506

Font scaling should be improved, increasing font size should no longer over-increase the line spacing
The font scaling slider in the options should no longer crash
Fixed animals sometimes replying to human speech
Fixed the bridge in Rebirth (again)
Doors use name of parent building in context menu
AI fix for inacessible walled off towns with an internal gate

:toot: especially for that font fix!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any way I can stop my bouncers and corpse cleaners from just repeatedly trying to pick up the same bandit/corpse forever?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Sadly, no. The corpse cleanup AI has been broken for as long as I remember. Sometimes it works, more often it doesn't.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ah well, at least my bonedogs are useful at cleaning up limbs.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
In my current game I began as a slave and I am only recruiting people that got away from the big Holy Order mine (Rebirth?), because every escape a few of them get added to my group and are left as bait for the guards, so the cycle can continue and my famished, 30-stat punchymans can make a run for it.

My 6th recruit has just lost a leg while learning to dodge against guards, so now I'm going to sneak in, hand her a leg and go "there, now try to leave on your own".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Fewd posted:

My elder garrus are hitting 70-100 and it's AOE. They devastate groups when I bother to take them off passive.

Only reasons ever to pick bull over garru are simple preference for bulls cause you like bulls for whatever reason or because bulls don't have lanterns. Garru lanterns suck rear end in night where enemies see you easier.

Now imagine an Elder bull with that stat growth.

70-100 was on a teenage bull.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I'm new to the game and have never owned an animal. Do they just join your squad like normal? Can I feed a bull dried meat? I wouldn't mind having a pack animal but I dont want it be a huge pain in the rear end.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
They're effectively standard PCs in how the game handles them, they even have the same basic stats. The major difference is that they can't do humanoid jobs and the only equipment they can use is backpacks. Otherwise you control them the same way.

And yes, as far as I'm aware, animals will eat essentially anything, there are no explicit herbivores or anything like that. They used to, anyway, and I haven't noticed any changes since 1.0 release. They can even eat some stuff humanoids can't, like raw skins or rotten meat. You'll have to toss it on the ground for them, though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Also, the usual way of obtaining animals is to buy them from Nomads or Animal Traders. You'll find them roaming around or settled in certain areas.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 11, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There is, however, a mod that will let you take an unconscious animal, stuff it in a cage, and recruit it through dialogue once it becomes conscious again. I made my own little caravan of Beak Things that way once. The game is designed to be very compatible about what it considers a valid player character.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cardiovorax posted:

There is, however, a mod that will let you take an unconscious animal, stuff it in a cage, and recruit it through dialogue once it becomes conscious again. I made my own little caravan of Beak Things that way once. The game is designed to be very compatible about what it considers a valid player character.

Tempted to download this and make a town of Gorillos.

Blackluck
Jun 26, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

And yes, as far as I'm aware, animals will eat essentially anything, there are no explicit herbivores or anything like that. They used to, anyway, and I haven't noticed any changes since 1.0 release. They can even eat some stuff humanoids can't, like raw skins or rotten meat. You'll have to toss it on the ground for them, though.

For pack animals, they will eat any food left in their backpack. Bonedogs should eat from the squad backpack like any other squad member. If you own a base, you can place an animal trough and they will eat from there. There's also a mod that adds backpacks for Bonedogs (as well as mods that let you tame any animal and mods that add backpacks for them as well.)

Blackluck fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 11, 2019

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Also, the usual way of obtaining animals are to buy them from Nomads or Animal Traders. You'll find them roaming around or settled in certain areas.

You can also buy them from Farm Shops in UC towns or Holy Farms I think.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Tempted to download this and make a town of Gorillos.
You can absolutely do that. Gorillos are useful and fun to have around.

Blackluck posted:

For pack animals, they will eat any food left in their backpack. Bonedogs should eat from the squad backpack like any other squad member. If you own a base, you can place an animal trough and they will eat from there. There's also a mod that addd backpacks for Bonedogs (as well as mods that let you tame any animal with backpacks for those as well.)
Ah, thank you. The last animal I owned was a bone dog that came as a freebie with my starting background. I put it in its own squad and had difficulty getting it to eat anything. Now I know why.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cardiovorax posted:

You can absolutely do that. Gorillos are useful and fun to have around.

Would it be possible to mod them to be able to do first aid?

Also, is it possible to have a squad of only animals?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Broken Cog posted:

I can't answer these questions.

What I know is that I know a dude who has a crab army:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fewd posted:

They are good for xbows because i can put them behind my shooters and they negate night time penalty

Aren't bulls still slower or did that eventually get changed?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

To the first: no, sorry, I think that's hardcoded as impossible by them being animal types.

To the second: yes. Just yes. The game doesn't even care.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cardiovorax posted:

To the first: no, sorry, I think that's hardcoded as impossible by them being animal types.

To the second: yes. Just yes. The game doesn't even care.

Cheers. Time to make a Tarzan squad

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Cheers. Time to make a Tarzan squad
Oh, little thing I forgot about : the mod I was talking about has a minor issue where you need to save and reload after stuffing a creature in a cage before you can actually talk to it. Something about the script not kicking in properly otherwise. Once you've done that, it's smooth sailing.

A quicksave will do. Have fun.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Can my characters pick up legendary/unique monsters?

I am thinking about hunting a few down, beating the poo poo out of them, then picking bandaging and picking them up.

I'll let them heal on my back. Then I'll go to blister hill and release them in front of the Phoenix.

Keep my rep good with the holy folks. Still gently caress with them though.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Yes, yes you can. I like to collect all the legendary critters and keep them in a viewing gallery.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It depends a bit on their size, though. You won't be able to pick up one of the really big things from the coast no matter how hard you try.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

You can get a mod that lets you tame any monsters, including the big coast monsters.

They take like a 1000 days to grow up though.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003
If you stop and look around from time to time, Kenshi is a lot more than a drab wasteland full of bandits and marauders.

(short imgur album)
https://imgur.com/a/advyAjI

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Oh yeah, there are some places that are actually really quite beautiful. Visit the Vain sometime. It's a lovely forest made of purple plants.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh yeah, there are some places that are actually really quite beautiful. Visit the Vain sometime. It's a lovely forest made of purple plants.

that's raining blood all the time

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The Shrieking Forest is beautiful.

Lovely neighbours, too. Perfect place to settle down.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Grognan posted:

that's raining blood all the time
Well, if you're going to get all hung up on the little flaws...

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Shrieking forest is hilarious if you have squad size turned up. Place is kind of like a continuous soccer riot

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you like that, then try going south to the Hiver villages, like I suggested. It's like something right out of Starship Troopers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Go to Obedience if you want to never sleep again

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
This game is crazy. Why isn't it possible to just straight up kill anyone?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

papa horny michael posted:

Here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1166303495

This lets you remove a "human meat" object from people and kill unconscious enemies. Really, though, you're not supposed to by design and neither do you usually need to. Nearly everything runs the gently caress away as fast as they wake back up again and you can loot them just fine while they still live.

If it bothers you in general, jack up the "death chance" bar in the advanced options for new games. It controls how likely poo poo is to actually bite it instead of being knocked out. Of course, that also includes you, because are just as hard to outright kill as the NPCs are.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
just take their weapons and armor off while they are downed and they wont be a problem again. Or even just loot their first aid kits and the attrition will kill them quickly, too.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

papa horny michael posted:

Get sharp enough weapons and it won't be an issue anymore.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Does the "Rescue" button not work? I swear I had it working once but I don't know what circumstances changed that is preventing it now.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

You can always just pick up one of your own guys, you know. It's actually more convenient in a lot of ways, because you can just tell them to stand in a corner once you're done without having to worry about them despawning or running away.

So I was gonna argue and say "but they can do useful poo poo at your base!"

Buuuuttt I just finished raiding two labs as well, and my robobackpack vanished into the ether. All my autosaves were robobackpackless. 2 hours down the drain.

So now I am trying to find a skeleton drifter to turn into a backpack, following your good advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Are there any backpacks that are better than the Thieves Backpack for just general adventuring? I know about the ones that let you stack stuff, but I'd rather just load up a Garr or a Wild Bull for that, since those backpacks tend to have a pretty significant impact on combat ability.