Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PS4 games are region free so they'll work on any system, you'll need a JP account for any DLC though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Some Numbers posted:

Logicblade, you needed a Japanese PS4 to play CS3/4, right?

Nope, bought my PS4 from a local EB Games. The PS3 and PS4 aren't region locked, but their DLC is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

To clarify, DLC isn't region locked but it is locked to the region of the base game, for example if you're in the EU like me and buy a US copy of a game the EU DLC won't work but you can make a US account and download the DLC from there and then it'll work fine on any PS4.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
GOG is doing a XSEED sale over the weekend. Trails, Ys, etc.

Sadly no Ys 8 or Tokyo Xanadu ex+ as those are published by NISA/Aksys Games.

It's actually the only thing on sale on GOG right now which should give it some more exposure.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I bought Ys 8 and I was actually kind of pleasantly surprised at how stable it was and now at the start of a Dana sequence in chapter 5 it's crashing every time, this really sucks. Was there ever some fan patch for the game?

SouljaBoyVEVO
May 19, 2018

From the Ghastly Eyrie, I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point, I declare, with UTTER CERTAINTY, that THIS one is IN. THE BAG.
Just beat CS2 and I'm a little grumbly about it. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but What were Crow's motivations for hanging around with Vita after he shot Osborne? Was he helping Vita out of loyalty to her, rather than any personal desire to see the Phantasmal Blaze Plan come to fruition? I know Duke Cayenne contracted the Society and stuff, but I'm still having a bit of trouble understanding Crow's motivation. He seemed very wishy washy at the end and I'm not really buying it. . At least with Loewe it made sense at the end of Sky SC. I dunno. But I am so excited to see Lloyd and Rixia! . I'm thinking about just using the spreadsheet and buying CS3 off the Japanese PSN.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

SouljaBoyVEVO posted:

Just beat CS2 and I'm a little grumbly about it. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but What were Crow's motivations for hanging around with Vita after he shot Osborne? Was he helping Vita out of loyalty to her, rather than any personal desire to see the Phantasmal Blaze Plan come to fruition? I know Duke Cayenne contracted the Society and stuff, but I'm still having a bit of trouble understanding Crow's motivation. He seemed very wishy washy at the end and I'm not really buying it. . At least with Loewe it made sense at the end of Sky SC. I dunno. But I am so excited to see Lloyd and Rixia! . I'm thinking about just using the spreadsheet and buying CS3 off the Japanese PSN.

It's two-fold.
- The first one is that yes, he feels a degree of personal loyalty to Vita. Vita was the one who guided him to Ordine. Vita was the one who helped him fight his way through the trials that led him to be accepted as Ordine's Awakener. It's obvious from their interactions that the two see each other as comrades rather than merely useful assets. Crow's paying back what he feels is a personal debt to Vita by helping her with the Phantasmal Blaze plan.

- The second one was mentioned in the intermission when Cayenne tried to recuit Rean into his fold. Cayenne's argument: "you may not find the outcome of us winning the war ideal, but certainly it's better than having the conflict rage on for an extended amount of time with all the domestic suffering and international instability that comes with it" completely glosses over the many injustices the nobles committed in the execution of their coup, but is otherwise logically sound. When Rean asks him why he's still fighting for Cayenne, whose ideals he clearly does not share, Crow mentions that this is simply his way of cleaning up the mess he helped start. Crow's indifferent to the politics of the war he helped start, he simply wants to end it as soon as possible one way or another.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Crow doesn’t really have any motivation, he just there because Rean needs a rival. They give a half assed to finish the war but Crow doesn’t really try anything to do that and mostly just menaces Rean. crow is not a well thought out character in two.

SouljaBoyVEVO
May 19, 2018

From the Ghastly Eyrie, I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point, I declare, with UTTER CERTAINTY, that THIS one is IN. THE BAG.
Especially because there's the whole scene of Vita summoning the Vermillion Castle and Crow is strapping Cedric to the chair then when our party shows up, all of a sudden they act like they have no idea what Duke Cayenne's plans were and had nothing to do with them. I do appreciate the write ups you guys made and it helps to make a little more sense on the issue, but I just chalk up any discrepancies like that to, "Orobouros are veeeeeEERRRRRRRRYyyyyy mysterious"

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah i love the trails games but i think they're a lot better at executing the slow burn rising political tension halves of the arcs than they are at the 'payoff' halves. best not to examine the story beats too closely or they fall apart, especially CS2.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tales of Woe posted:

yeah i love the trails games but i think they're a lot better at executing the slow burn rising political tension halves of the arcs than they are at the 'payoff' halves. best not to examine the story beats too closely or they fall apart, especially CS2.

With CS2, I'll agree with you, but I thought Sky SC was great and while perhaps not better executed than FC, the bigger scope and character development were really good.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Yeah, I found the idea that the climax of CS 2 - that Ouroboros's big huge plan was essentially "let's you and him fight" between Ordine and Valimar - was just so bizarre that it became anticlimactic. "That's it? That's what all this has been about for you?" It just didn't make much sense for me, because they're still keeping the reason that was important secret.

Anyway, speaking of CS 2, Sharon Kreuger:

I’m convinced that the circumstances of how she came to be employed as a maid in the Reinford household is important - not merely a quirky backstory for extra flavour. All she’s really said is that she came into contact with Irina Reinford in the course of her duties as a member of Ouroboros. If the scenario was merely the audacity of Irina offering a job as maid, I don’t think that alone would be enough to persuade her to accept the job.

Sharon has been very clear on some things: One, she is a loyal and devoted servant of the Reinford family. Two, she has no intention of following the path of Joshua and Renne, and completely turning their back on Ouroboros.

That does not seem because Sharon is still a completely loyal member of Ouroboros – in fact, she expresses regret several times. The path (back to redemption, maybe?) was “closed to her long ago”. It’s too late for her to turn back and change what’s already been done. “Regardless of what happened in the past, my love for the Reinford family will never waver”. She has no right to comfort Rean about the death of Vulkan after what she’s done. She is grateful to Irina Reinford for giving her a path to a new life.

Those things lead to one conclusion: Alisa lost her father because of Sharon. Sharon does not see a path to redemption for herself because that would require telling Alisa. That would seem like a crushing betrayal to Alisa, reopening the wound all over again.

I am only speculating. No CS 3 or 4 spoilers, please.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah CS2 is a mess which is a shame as the overall plot is rather interesting but unfortunately rather half baked.

The end of CS1 worked for shock factor but I think it undermined 2 hard.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah CS2 also has the problem where it spends like 10 hours at the start cleaning up CS1's cliffhanger and then another 10 hours at the end setting up CS3 so it doesn't have enough time to let its own thing with the airship base building breathe at all. it's just too fractured. hopefully 3 is better for it though since they already have the setup.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

In my option Trails strongest conflict writing is political shenanigans and the mysterious organization thing has always been the weak link. The problem is irs sort of becoming the dominate Plot.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, I found the idea that the climax of CS 2 - that Ouroboros's big huge plan was essentially "let's you and him fight" between Ordine and Valimar - was just so bizarre that it became anticlimactic. "That's it? That's what all this has been about for you?" It just didn't make much sense for me, because they're still keeping the reason that was important secret.

I'm pretty sure the exact requirement is likely summoning the Infernal Castle, then Ordine and Valimar fight, and my guess at the purpose is to reenact certain requirements for that time related to the Sept-Terrions in Erebonia. Now, I have no idea why that'd be necessary, but those're my guesses.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Those things lead to one conclusion: Alisa lost her father because of Sharon. Sharon does not see a path to redemption for herself because that would require telling Alisa. That would seem like a crushing betrayal to Alisa, reopening the wound all over again.

That was actually my theory too. (that is, Sharon pulling a more succesful Joshua than Joshua) Which of course begs the question why not Irina but her husband was targetted, with her being the heir to the Zemurian equivalent of Amazon and him "merely" being an extremely talented engineer who liked to work with Zemurian Ore for use in his doohickeys. The fact that there was an entire hidden sidequest dedicated to his memory in CS2 suggests he was actually a lot more important than the many other dead parents Class VII is connected to. (only Gaius still has both of his birth parents...probably) It does make you wonder why Irina offered her a job instead of using her family money to send a corps of S-rank jaegers after her, unless she was married to a rogue anguis or something and didn't know it until the Severing Chains first dropped by.

SouljaBoyVEVO
May 19, 2018

Anyway, speaking of CS 2, Sharon Kreuger:

Yeah, I thought that maybe Vita's reason for summoning the castle/allowing the Divine Knight fight was some sort of effort to fulfill requirements needed to meet Ouroboros' end goal, rather than Duke Cayenne's or Osborne's plots. Instead it went absolutely nowhere with zero indication why or how, and the handling of that whole thing is easily the weakest point in any Trails game I've played thus far. I was really disappointed. I think Zero and Ao handled the Society/Political Chaos mix perfectly. You have Meister Jorg and his aloof, tangential relation to the Society that is still willing to answer the party's questions in a way that acceptably allowed me to suspend disbelief.

As for Sharon, I thought it was all but confirmed in CS1 that she killed Irina's husband. I don't remember where or when specifically, but I remember it definitely being brought up that that was how she got involved with the family in the first place.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Cold Steel 2's ending makes a lot more sense in context with the reveals of later games. And that is all I will say on that front.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SouljaBoyVEVO posted:

As for Sharon, I thought it was all but confirmed in CS1 that she killed Irina's husband. I don't remember where or when specifically, but I remember it definitely being brought up that that was how she got involved with the family in the first place.

I'm quite sure that you're mixing up CS 1 and CS 2, or confusing the overt hints that Sharon was involved with the attacks on the Bracer guild 2 years ago with the other thing. All the things i posted above came from CS 2. Or you might possibly be thinking of CS 3, because not even CS 2 is that overt. I think the closest that CS 1 comes to even hinting that Alisa's father died due to anything other than "Main Character Sudden Parental Death Syndrome" is that one of Sharon's roles in Trista seems to be to serve as a bodyguard for Alisa, and why would she need a bodyguard?

Logicblade posted:

Cold Steel 2's ending makes a lot more sense in context with the reveals of later games. And that is all I will say on that front.

Well, "duh", really. I would hope so. That doesn't change that it is a confusing way to end CS 2.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 10, 2019

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
I don't remember if they say anything direct in 2 but they do reveal the following.

Sharon was employed by Irina right after her husband died.
Sharon was at Reinford to begin with because of an order she received by Ouroboros
It's pretty obvious that she has an assassin-esque skillset

I think a lot of people probably arrived at the same conclusion given all those details

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

The n00b Avenger posted:

I don't remember if they say anything direct in 2 but they do reveal the following.

Sharon was employed by Irina right after her husband died.
Sharon was at Reinford to begin with because of an order she received by Ouroboros
It's pretty obvious that she has an assassin-esque skillset

I think a lot of people probably arrived at the same conclusion given all those details

They pretty much say all that during Sharon's second bonding event in the first half of CS2. She said she met Irina while she was on an assignment from the society, was given a job offer by her and accepted despite never having worked as a maid before. She also says she joined the Reinfords shortly after Alisa's dad passed away.

SouljaBoyVEVO
May 19, 2018

So, next month I am buying a PS4 and getting CS3 and 4 off the Japanese PSN shop. Do any of you have experience playing either game as an EOP with the spreadsheet? Is it enjoyable?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I might need to do this too, but I'm going to wait until I can play Crossbell with a decent translation.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Having to go back and forth to a spreadsheet doesn't seem like a very pleasant experience but it's also probably the only way you'll ever get to play the game for a long time so maybe it's still worth it? :shrug:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I imagine it depends on what you want out of a Trails game and how you play it. Do you stick to the beaten path and aren't interested in NPC's or side-content? In that case spreadsheets might suffice if you're not annoyed at constantly having to watch from one screen to the other. Personally, I can't imagine playing that way. Way too much of a chore. I want to be able to play and explore a game, not decipher it and feel railroaded because only the main scenario is comprehensable.

Personally I'm not really sure why there's such a rush to play unlocalized stuff. There's more stuff coming out every day to play in the meantime than anyone who ever gets out of his basement can afford to play. On the one hand we hope XSeed gets more Trails titles because they do a good job properly localizing them. On the other hand we send signals that any kind of translation will do as long as we can play it quickly.

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
If all you care about is just a very broad understanding of the main story then the spreadsheets will suffice I guess.

They're done by someone with a very tenuous grasp on Japanese so there's a good amount of basic errors and there's virtually no effort to make the characters personality come through in the text either(granted they probably don't comprehend most of that to begin with given their language level) so it fails on both accuracy and personality. Only go for it if you're really really desperate. Personally I expect an official announcement for 3 this year anyway

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

The spreadsheet is very literally translated, so you won't have the character's personality shine through like they do in the XSEED translated versions. The games are still very good though, and the spreadsheet isn't actively detrimental to understanding what's going on (though there are some confusing errors here and there that will take you out of it). But you won't be able to understand what most NPC's are saying, you're going to have to figure out crafts, items, accessories and the like on your own, and quite a few of the bonding events in Cold Steel 3 aren't translated (they all seem to be in 4 at least). I'm playing through it with the spreadsheet because I'm impatient, and I got really scared off when a few XSEED localizers got laid off.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Logicblade posted:

The spreadsheet is very literally translated, so you won't have the character's personality shine through like they do in the XSEED translated versions. The games are still very good though, and the spreadsheet isn't actively detrimental to understanding what's going on (though there are some confusing errors here and there that will take you out of it). But you won't be able to understand what most NPC's are saying, you're going to have to figure out crafts, items, accessories and the like on your own, and quite a few of the bonding events in Cold Steel 3 aren't translated (they all seem to be in 4 at least). I'm playing through it with the spreadsheet because I'm impatient, and I got really scared off when a few XSEED localizers got laid off.

Funnily enough, XSEED just hired the head editor from the Yakuza 0 and Valkyria Chronicles IV localizations, so that's... Interesting.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh wow

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'm uncultured and haven't played the Yakuza series firsthand, but if VC4 is anything to go by, that guy can make characters pop

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I'm uncultured and haven't played the Yakuza series firsthand, but if VC4 is anything to go by, that guy can make characters pop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU_l9QF4XCA

SouljaBoyVEVO
May 19, 2018

It's another, "My Weeaboo hating but Trails loving husband loudly whistles Crossbell Music in the shower" episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4FhQ9CRE48

Also, in that case, I'll wait. But God, the waiting hurts!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Yeah he's VERY good at giving characters personality. This is a great hire for XSEED.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Nice hire! Yakuza 0 was my game of the year back when it came out. Hopefully a sign of good stuff on the horizon.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I am currently playing Trails in the Sky SC on PC and it's pretty good. I have played Cold Steel 1 on PSTV and I have the weird Asia release that never got a regional sequel so it doesn't really matter where I play CS2 as I won't be able to import my data. Is it worth waiting for the PS4 localisation or is it basically the same as the PC release?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It’s literally the same

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s literally the same

Well that makes for an easy choice then as CS2 is usually pretty cheap on Steam. I saw on page 1 of the thread that there were 100% files for TitS for PC. Are there any for CS2 to import CS1 data?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I can make one for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Well that makes for an easy choice then as CS2 is usually pretty cheap on Steam. I saw on page 1 of the thread that there were 100% files for TitS for PC. Are there any for CS2 to import CS1 data?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/comments/7vntbc/a_collection_of_cs1_clear_data_ready_for_ng_or_to/