Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The F-35 can be a grave marker for the military-industrial complex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Randarkman posted:

Well, then you can praise yourself lucky that you haven't been reading or posting much in DnD or certain Games threads. At this point it's perhaps best if we leave this.

I think the level of mainstream western and especially american discourse towards the USSR makes forum discussions about certain topics really toxic. People quickly start talking past each other and reading ideology into other people’s posts where it isn’t.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Halloween Jack posted:

Pretty unlikely since they’ve built 360 already and Japan/Israel increased their orders, not the other way around.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

EvilMerlin posted:

So the south waged WAR against the US Government.

To be fair, they also had bad points

:v:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Randarkman posted:

It's not much of a derail isn't it? And it is talking about military history.

It got the last thread closed, dude. And as such I am staying well out of this one til we get back on topic.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

feedmegin posted:

It got the last thread closed, dude

Pretty much this. I also suggest everyone move on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Not by a mod, by a salty OP

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zoux posted:

What's the most recent piece of materiel deemed worthy of preservation?

Whatever the last ship decommissioned from the USN was. The Navy is very conscious about that stuff and sends a crew through each ship as it’s decommissioned to remove the commissioning plaque, notable artifacts, etc. Obviously you’re limited in exactly how much of a Spruance you can cart off to stick in a warehouse but they do a pretty decent job of preserving some neat stuff. They have a whole warehouse in Virginia (I think. Might be Maryland) just full of that stuff preserved more or less properly (it used to be more of a poo poo show but they’ve really been focusing on getting it right the last few decades).

Plus they’re actively looking for more interesting bits. One I saw recently in a non public display was a prosthetic leg from a seal who went back into service after losing the original. Had the craziest paint job that was a mix of :911: and :black101: like, literal crying eagles and flags and death metal skeletons. It was pretty cool and the dude who wore it into combat was a legit bad rear end.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

feedmegin posted:

It got the last thread closed, dude. And as such I am staying well out of this one til we get back on topic.

Alright. I may have been slightly confused as to what the derail was back when I was making that reply though as I kind of believed we were discussing why the Soviet alliance proposal (such as it was) was turned down by the Allies in 1939. I'm guessing it's the more general issues which made that come up which got the last thread closed rather than that specific discussion.

Because I can't really believe why that by itself would cause such a heated discussion, because as far as I see it the Allies had perfectly understandable reasons to turn down the Soviet proposal/feeler, you may agree or disagree with them, but they aren't hard to understand. Though I'll try to pipe down about that, as reading back it seems that itself only kind of came up as part of a larger derail(?) and it's just the kind of stuff I like to discuss.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 11, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Cyrano4747 posted:

Plus they’re actively looking for more interesting bits. One I saw recently in a non public display was a prosthetic leg from a seal who went back into service after losing the original. Had the craziest paint job that was a mix of :911: and :black101: like, literal crying eagles and flags and death metal skeletons. It was pretty cool and the dude who wore it into combat was a legit bad rear end.

I think I've mentioned before that I got to strip parts off of the old ships up in Suisun Bay, and I also did time on Navy troopships. Some of their interior murals were pretty epic. Most mess decks have something on the walls. (er, bulkheads) Commands are okay with it (morale!) and it lets the sailors see some color besides grey. A quick look with google can dig up some pretty crazy navy ship murals. Apparently this is painted somewhere in the USS Theodore Roosevelt:

The USS Pampanito - the museum submarine - I worked at had a vargas-style pin-up girl painted inside one of the tool lockers in the compartment under the periscopes where the hi-pac was; the paint was faded enough and it was hidden away well enough that I'd bet that the painting has been there since WW2.

I remember the nuclear submarine USS Indianapolis had Indy 500 race-car themed stuff all over when I got a tour in the late 90's. The plates used in the mess hall had checkered flags on them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

zoux posted:

What's the most recent piece of materiel deemed worthy of preservation?

It's impossible to say. There's a lot more museums out there now that are willing to take whatever the military decides to dump, so depending where you go you can easily find, say, bulletproof vests or IED debris from Iraq or Afghanistan. The bar for getting into the Smithsonian is obviously a bit higher, but even then you'll find stuff like a Predator drone on display in Air and Space.

[Actually, fun fact about Air and Space: When it comes to military aircraft, they're not actually allowed to have any aircraft on display that are still in active service—in other words, no Eagles, Hornets, or Warthogs (The Tomcat got in right after it was retired in 2006). The only 'exception' is the XF-35A, which got classified as a prototype so they could throw it into Udvar-Hazy]

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's impossible to say. There's a lot more museums out there now that are willing to take whatever the military decides to dump, so depending where you go you can easily find, say, bulletproof vests or IED debris from Iraq or Afghanistan.

One of the sad things about working at the museum was driven by the fact that we just did not have enough storage space for artifacts, let alone display space. We would regularly have people dropping off things like "grandfather's old WWII sailor uniform" with the hopes that we'd put it on display. We just couldn't - again, we didn't have space for what we had. Generally the museum director would accept it, but make it clear that we couldn't promise that we'd be able to put it out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's impossible to say. There's a lot more museums out there now that are willing to take whatever the military decides to dump, so depending where you go you can easily find, say, bulletproof vests or IED debris from Iraq or Afghanistan. The bar for getting into the Smithsonian is obviously a bit higher, but even then you'll find stuff like a Predator drone on display in Air and Space.

[Actually, fun fact about Air and Space: When it comes to military aircraft, they're not actually allowed to have any aircraft on display that are still in active service—in other words, no Eagles, Hornets, or Warthogs (The Tomcat got in right after it was retired in 2006). The only 'exception' is the XF-35A, which got classified as a prototype so they could throw it into Udvar-Hazy]

I think I was overly broad, I meant, is there a lot of post-WWII stuff that we'd put in the same category as Enola Gay or Memphis Belle, or even USS Texas or USS Intrepid, that we've chose to preserve.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

zoux posted:

I think I was overly broad, I meant, is there a lot of post-WWII stuff that we'd put in the same category as Enola Gay or Memphis Belle, or even USS Texas or USS Intrepid, that we've chose to preserve.
Speaking in terms of military hardware, I don't think there are too many post-WW2 items preserved for their specific historical importance, as opposed to being type-specimens.

Very different matter for aerospace material in a broader sense, of course.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Speaking in terms of military hardware, I don't think there are too many post-WW2 items preserved for their specific historical importance, as opposed to being type-specimens.

Yeah I remember it being a BFD about who was going to get the remaining orbiters after they shut down the shuttle program.

Incidentally the most recently decommissioned USN ship was the USS Vandegrift, a Perry class FFG, in 2015

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Again you see it with a lot of smaller stuff. I’m not talking tanks and planes but the collections of the services curate that kind of thing for even very recent stuff - GWOT etc. Maybe not entire vehicles that did a thing, but smaller artifacts abound.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It is worth noting that while very few people were really thinking about preservation in the postwar era, there were exceptions. The nascent US Air Force in particular did make a big effort to try and preserve notable aircraft where they could, which is why Memphis Belle, Flak Bait, and Enola Gay are all still around. The biggest problem was really that even when people were interested in preserving things, the money and space just didn't really exist—the military/aviation museum is a pretty modern concept, and even now there's more tanks and planes looking for a good home than there are facilities capable of handling them.

I still can't get over that they didn't preserve the Big E.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Halloween Jack posted:

How so?

355 of them currently in service around the globe.

2,663 to be purchased by the US
Possibly 100 for AU (72 in the initial order)
138 for the UK
120 for Turkey
Possibly 100 for Japan
Possibly 75 for Israel

And on and on.

The F-35 is a success for Lockheed-Martin.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

EvilMerlin posted:

Genocide: the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.

IE: what the Soviets did to the Ukrainians (Holodomor), dekulakization (this one is iffy though), Great Purge of Mongolia... I think these cover it rather well.

This is a broken definition of genocide.

Genocide is defined as atrocities or social policies conducted with the intention of "destroying" a national, ethnical, racial or religious group. It is a crime that is targeted towards a group, and not individuals.

That is, the deliberacy of act(s) in question is irrelevant, what is important is the intent behind the act(s). Really, to imply that any act leading to mass death could possibly be "undeliberate" is ridiculous anyways. The rationale for a genocidal act is to destroy the victimized group.

Political purges are not genocides, and never could be. Unless you mean to argue that the Soviets were trying to destroy Mongolians as a group.

The Soviet-caused famines are much more controversial, and afaik the question what the Soviets intended is still up in the air. The difference between brutal, ruthless and indefensible agricultural policy, and a policy of genocide is whether or not the Soviets formed policies intended to kill millions of Ukrainians, Kazakhs, or Russian peasants, or anybody else who died as a result of collectivization.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Taerkar posted:

I think it was more a question about the 8 reactors on board. Not so easy to keep a nuclear ship around once you are done with it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
On reflection, we probably have a few more incredibly terrible and expensive weapons systems to cycle through before the whole thing collapses.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

This is a broken definition of genocide.

Genocide is defined as atrocities or social policies conducted with the intention of "destroying" a national, ethnical, racial or religious group. It is a crime that is targeted towards a group, and not individuals.

That is, the deliberacy of act(s) in question is irrelevant, what is important is the intent behind the act(s). Really, to imply that any act leading to mass death could possibly be "undeliberate" is ridiculous anyways. The rationale for a genocidal act is to destroy the victimized group.

Political purges are not genocides, and never could be. Unless you mean to argue that the Soviets were trying to destroy Mongolians as a group.

The Soviet-caused famines are much more controversial, and afaik the question what the Soviets intended is still up in the air. The difference between brutal, ruthless and indefensible agricultural policy, and a policy of genocide is whether or not the Soviets formed policies intended to kill millions of Ukrainians, Kazakhs, or Russian peasants, or anybody else who died as a result of collectivization.

That is the MW definition of Genocide.

The Soviets WERE trying to destroy the Ukrainians, Mongolians, or just about any other group that had its own distinct culture and language in the name of the Soviet Union.

The famines were just one of the tools used by the Soviet Union to control.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Halloween Jack posted:

On reflection, we probably have a few more incredibly terrible and expensive weapons systems to cycle through before the whole thing collapses.

Yeah you KNOW there are crazy SOBs that are trying to figure out how to make antimatter weapons... They will end up making nukes look like firecrackers.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

EvilMerlin posted:

I think it was more a question about the 8 reactors on board. Not so easy to keep a nuclear ship around once you are done with it.

CV-6, not CVN-65.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EvilMerlin posted:

Yeah you KNOW there are crazy SOBs that are trying to figure out how to make antimatter weapons... They will end up making nukes look like firecrackers.

No radiation either : /

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Taerkar posted:

goddamn New York schoolchildren couldn't cough up enough quarters :argh:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

EvilMerlin posted:

The F-35 is a success for Lockheed-Martin.

Like the debacle of the TFX, the united states has bruteforced its way through terrible procurement choices by just dumping mythical amounts of money on the program.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The biggest problem was really that even when people were interested in preserving things, the money and space just didn't really exist

Yeap. Even though I love seeing old hardware, this seems very much a first world post-war generations' problem to me. What the war generations had plenty of: tanks, artillery, planes, warships. They had seen so much of them in the 1940s that they were already sick of them. What the war generations didn't have abundantly: housing, food, reliable income (especially for war invalids, widows and orphans).

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

EvilMerlin posted:

That is the MW definition of Genocide.

The Soviets WERE trying to destroy the Ukrainians, Mongolians, or just about any other group that had its own distinct culture and language in the name of the Soviet Union.

The famines were just one of the tools used by the Soviet Union to control.

MW definition? What?

Your definition of genocide is garbage that would include the bombing of Hamburg, or the Vietnam War as a genocide. I don't know why you even use the word if you don't give the slightest thought about what it even means.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's one for the thread

https://twitter.com/NavalInstitute/status/1083804348658970625

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

EvilMerlin posted:

CERN posted:

Can we make antimatter bombs?
No. It would take billions of years to produce enough antimatter for a bomb having the same destructiveness as ‘typical’ hydrogen bombs, of which there exist more than ten thousand already.

Sociological note: scientists realized that the atom bomb was a real possibility many years before one was actually built and exploded, and then the public was totally surprised and amazed. On the other hand, the public somehow anticipates the antimatter bomb, but we have known for a long time that it cannot be realized in practice.
https://web.archive.org/web/20120105085146/http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/spotlight/SpotlightAandD-en.html

zoux posted:

No radiation either : /

I think you mean "No long-lived radiation." Matter-antimatter explosions produce quite a lot of radiation, that being the point.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
To make an antimatter bomb you'd have to spend half of the energy the bomb would release, to create the antimatter (assuming you could somehow produce it at 100% efficiency). For a nuclear weapon the energy's already there, helpfully packed in to the heavy nuclei.

Not to mention that once you've created antimatter you then have the problem of keeping it from exploding until you want it to.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Are there any USN garbage trows?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Taerkar posted:

I was going to say some kind of SIGNIT Spy boat but I don't know what those look like. Maybe a spy boat disguised as a garbage trow? Kind of like how the Russians used nondescript merchant ships so spy on the entrances of US ports during the cold war?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Taerkar posted:

Renaming one of the Operation CHASE ships after him would be fitting, I think.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

They should name an electronic surveillance ship after him :haw:

e: beaten

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

MW definition? What?

Your definition of genocide is garbage that would include the bombing of Hamburg, or the Vietnam War as a genocide. I don't know why you even use the word if you don't give the slightest thought about what it even means.

Mirriam Webster. EvilMerlin is using the colloquial definition of genocide, which is given when you type it into google

Needless to say, treating genocide as synonymous with 'massacre' and 'indiscriminate killing' is deeply problematic, when the term has a very definite meaning in historical research and international law. So is the declaration that having erased the intent aspect of genocide, all cases of mass death are equivalent. The equivocation of the Soviets and the Nazis thus follows from this kind of wilful blindness.

http://www.un.org/en/genocideprevention/genocide.html

For what it's worth, MW does not participate in this misuse of the term genocide.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/genocide

Fangz fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 11, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

aphid_licker posted:

They should name an electronic surveillance ship after him :haw:

e: beaten

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

GotLag posted:

To make an antimatter bomb you'd have to spend half of the energy the bomb would release, to create the antimatter (assuming you could somehow produce it at 100% efficiency). For a nuclear weapon the energy's already there, helpfully packed in to the heavy nuclei.

Not to mention that once you've created antimatter you then have the problem of keeping it from exploding until you want it to.

What if I made a hydrogen bomb out of anti-plutonium and anti-deuterium? Checkmate, doubters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Not an argument!

Even worse efficiency, as some of the antimatter will be converted to energy in the nuclear explosion, without combining with an equal amount of normal matter.