Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Spatial posted:

wowcube. the way to hack human evolution by twisting and shaking

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1083497756415512576

that whole thread is gold

i like that wowcube is humble enough to admit that other planets may have invented the twisty game console before they did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i just hope we dont evolve into some kind of cube-twisting monstrosity

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

nature's harmonic simultaneous 4-day wow cube

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

yeah i just wish there was an equivalent of the gt3 racer porsches where you pay extra to strip out the radio and replace the plastic door handles with fabric pulls. give me a high end tier with all the smart poo poo removed and i’ll pay a couple hundred extra to not be spied on.

at that point you're better off just buying the smart tv with discount and ripping the antenna out of it or dumping it in a quarantine ssid, and hope like hell it doesn't try to attach to some insecure network when it realizes it can't phone home

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lampey posted:

Its illegal for them to take people where they want, muni would shut them down because of their monopoly

first off, the relevant regulator did chastise chariot for replicating muni routes, and forbade them to make any new routes that tracked muni

but, since we live in the stupidest possible world, they "grandfathered" the existing chariot routes, which were naturally the highest-ridership and highest-profit routes for muni

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it is good for buses to be a publicly owned business run unprofitably

if we allow private transit operators, they're just going to run the most profitable routes, not a universal system the way municipal bus systems are run

(this was how buses used to work before cities started operating their own systems -- awful patchwork systems that only covered the most profitable areas)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

first off, the relevant regulator did chastise chariot for replicating muni routes, and forbade them to make any new routes that tracked muni

but, since we live in the stupidest possible world, they "grandfathered" the existing chariot routes, which were naturally the highest-ridership and highest-profit routes for muni

yeah pretty much dropped people off from the rich marina-russian hill/haight/dogpatch to the financial district/civic center and back. aka most white collar routes

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

My Linux Rig posted:

I’m hoping there’s gonna be reckoning for TVs just like there was for smartphones when the iPhone came out

a what when the iphone came out

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Xaris posted:

yeah pretty much dropped people off from the rich marina-russian hill/haight/dogpatch to the financial district/civic center and back. aka most white collar routes

it's cute that sf thinks it's big enough to have all these distinctly named districts

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
neighborhood names are the newest hottest flimflam courtesy of advertisers and realtors

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

jit bull transpile posted:

it's cute that sf thinks it's big enough to have all these distinctly named districts
unlike nyc or chicago or something, they have no actual government connection (other than only occasionally it sometimes kinda lines up city council/rep areas) and are just a social constructs of naming areas often sometimes having some slightly distinct architectural/cultural/geographic nuances because saying "i live in/visitting the castro / haight / sunset / outer richmond / presidio" has immediate recognition vs saying "oh yeah i live 20th / 3rd or intersection of crack st and gun ave" is much more obtuse and naturally develops out of society.

even often smaller cities have socially named "districts"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

"“The East Cut sounds like a 17 dollar sandwich,” Menotti Minutillo, an Uber engineer who works on the neighborhood’s border, said on Twitter in May."

lol die mad about it hitlercar guy

but also in general... yeah thats what neighborhood names have been 90% of the time for like forever. some realtor wanted to move some lots so they came up with a name and if they were lucky it stuck

Xaris posted:

unlike nyc or chicago or something, they have no actual government connection (other than only occasionally it sometimes kinda lines up city council/rep areas) and are just a social constructs of naming areas often sometimes having some slightly distinct architectural/cultural/geographic nuances because saying "i live in/visitting the castro / haight / sunset / outer richmond / presidio" has immediate recognition vs saying "oh yeah i live 20th / 3rd or intersection of crack st and gun ave" is much more obtuse and naturally develops out of society.

why are you under the impression that the neighborhood names usually correspond to government districts in nyc or chicago lol

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
when i went in for jury duty they had us say our name & neighborhood, was nice

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

the greater area is yuge

if you mean sf proper, okay but the whole mess of the place extends beyond quite a ways

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

syscall girl posted:

the greater area is yuge

if you mean sf proper, okay but the whole mess of the place extends beyond quite a ways

its a thin smear of poo poo across a toilet bowl rim, op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fishmech posted:

its a thin smear of poo poo across a toilet bowl rim, op

all of yall live in lovely hosed up places hth

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

here's the new orleans neighborhood map - and those are all area names that've been used by the residents for generations. there are 72 (the linked map has an extra for the navy hq)

the city also has a ward system that's from like 1850 AND an urban planning district map (that mostly just groups the neighborhoods from that map together)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

syscall girl posted:

the greater area is yuge

San Francisco is like the same square mileage as Madison Wisconsin, which somehow seems to get by just fine with just an east side, West side, and isthmus as area names.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

is this article from the 1700s?

streets and neighborhoods get renamed all the time

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here's the new orleans neighborhood map - and those are all area names that've been used by the residents for generations. there are 72 (the linked map has an extra for the navy hq)

the city also has a ward system that's from like 1850 AND an urban planning district map (that mostly just groups the neighborhoods from that map together)

alright ill give you a major/minor distinction, ie you cant rename manhattan

but still, everything gets renamed all the time.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i have an ancestor who lived in lovely Street [sic! "Skidenstræde"] in Copnhagen in the 1700s. it was renamed Krystalgade in 1818 — and it houses the synagogue (coincidence not intended, I don't think!)

like at least 30% of my copenhagen ancestors have lived on streats that were either renamed or dont exist anymore for other reasons

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i mean really once you just have people living in an urban environment for awhile you start getting granularity, it's nothing new

which i'm sure isn't hurt by the map spergs at city hall codifying planning districts and police precincts and fire response maps etc

heck you can see explicitly modern versions of this process play out with developer sprawl naming and expanding subdivisions and founding HOAs out in the sub/exurbs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pulling out city plat maps to claim that a particular urban megametro is 'small' is the tiredest rear end thing

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

San Francisco is like the same square mileage as Madison Wisconsin, which somehow seems to get by just fine with just an east side, West side, and isthmus as area names.

But I really need to differentiate between Tenny-Lapham and Williamson-Marquette

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

San Francisco is like the same square mileage as Madison Wisconsin, which somehow seems to get by just fine with 10% of the GDP of the bay area

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jonny 290 posted:

pulling out city plat maps to claim that a particular urban megametro is 'small' is the tiredest rear end thing

the entire bay area doesn't even have the population of nyc lol its no megametro

the only thing mega about it is the average commute time and housing price

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah but nobody wants to actually live in nyc, they just don't know how to leave

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

keyboard vomit posted:

But I really need to differentiate between Tenny-Lapham and Williamson-Marquette

This is something I don't get but then again "I just work here, lady."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i wonder how many times fishmech has been on the "sf is small beans" tear in this thread. definitely 5-6 times within the last year.

i also wonder who he thinks think that sf is big beans, because who would think that?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Krankenstyle posted:

i wonder how many times fishmech has been on the "sf is small beans" tear in this thread. definitely 5-6 times within the last year.

i also wonder who he thinks think that sf is big beans, because who would think that?

culturally it's like 37 times the size of the whole of new england
financially it is one of the cornerstones of western civilized society
sexually it's a city that lives in 3019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jonny 290 posted:

culturally it's like 37 times the size of the whole of new england
financially it is one of the cornerstones of western civilized society
sexually it's a city that lives in 3019

maybe if there's a 1000 year trumpenreich, tho i don't see what new england has to do with anything

san francisco can't even keep a token stock exchange open tho, its no financial cornerstone

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

just like a cornerstone

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
nyc:sf::sf:portland

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

america, all of it:garbage::1:1

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
why would anyone want to live in a big city where you are increasing the number of americans in your proximity

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

why would anyone want to live in a big city where you are increasing the number of americans in your proximity

b/c that's where you get the best means (drugs, art, etc) of escaping the fact that you're living near other americans

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

yeah, the city proper

the greater area though is big

people commute and stuff

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

syscall girl posted:

yeah, the city proper

the greater area though is big

people commute and stuff

sure but there's like 30 named neighborhoods in sf proper that are hardly a few blocks each

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hey fishmech

sure, sf is real bad, but so are new york and all other american cities, towns, hamlets, villages, unincorporated townships, etc. theyre all equally bullshit

how you like them apples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sure but there's like 30 named neighborhoods in sf proper that are hardly a few blocks each

oh right, yeah

i just know a lot of people from the greater area

my mom was born in the city proper

my dad still thinks that haight-ashbury is the devil and that golden gate park is filled with deviants

which