Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Dick Trauma posted:

On my first mission to rescue resistance members I lost someone. My ranger chose the wrong person to stop next to because he turned out to be Faceless. His swipe wasn't enough to kill her, but he also hit the RV they were standing next to and it blew up. :rip:

On the lighter side the game assigned Cheryl and Pam as bondmates. :haw:

hup hup

bwak bwak

bee boh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

whoever designed the third mission of the lazarus project campaign, gets an award for being a massive rear end in a top hat.

double nine fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 8, 2019

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
As I'm nearing a mission objective my team ran into a purifier and a snake. Pam killed the purifier and I ran Worf out to shoot the snake in the face which did not quite finish it off. So I sent in my ranger (who uses the Payday "Jimmy" voice) and he cut it down and shouted "I TOOK CARE OF THAT gently caress!"

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I like giving Jimmy's voice to snipers, because them yelling gently caress YOU oval office when getting a kill somehow amuses me even more, when they're standing aaallll the way back by their lonesome.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's a good thing I managed to clear some debris and start building an infirmary because almost all of my soldiers are wounded, fatigued, or both.

And Worf is now afraid of fire. :smith:

EDIT: I'm using the infantry class mod and already my two infantry soldiers seem very shooty, and then one of them found a weapon upgrade that makes the first three reloads not consume an action. She already slaughters her way through Lost, going to get even more fun now.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 8, 2019

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I just experienced the strangest bug I've seen in a game in quite a while. I had an early game Savage sit-rep mission, before I even had magnetic weapons. When I dropped in and ended the first turn, the game showed a berserker smashing their stun lancer companion (they weren't even Enraged yet). There were three pods of this combination in total. After the berserkers gibbed the lancers, they turned on each other. When one berserker was left standing, I left concealment and killed it with one shot. It was the easiest mission I've ever had.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Had a great rescue mission where I missed a few early shots that I thought were going to spell doom, but then in true Xcom fashion made a few desperate, low percentage ones and wound up with a Flawless result.

My sniper getting a point blank crit revolver shot on a Berserker was the high point.

I'm impressed with how much there is to do now compared to the original release, and a gutload of mods makes things that much better.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I got War of the Chosen, and I'm about to play this for the first time in a couple years. Did they ever make the Alien Hunters DLC good? Also what's the deal with the Tactical Legacy pack?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alien Hunters has an option that integrates it into the War of the Chosen. When you choose to do that, it puts the Alien Kings as superbosses on randomly assigned facilities. If you want to trigger them, pop that facility, if not, ignore it and that King/Queen will not bother you that game. You don't do the story missions from the DLCs in either event. Note that integrating the DLCs integrates both, so if you want to do Julian's mission, you can't integrate the DLCs. Leaving them unchecked in this case will mean the Alien Kings will just show up when they like sometime, as they would if you turned off the Viper Nest mission when it launched.

Tactical Legacy Pack is an update that adds new attitudes, weapons, costumes and photobooth options, as well as a kind of score attack game mode where you try to complete four minicampaigns with no strategy layer--it's just you, your mans, and the ayys, and you're going for gold. You either need to complete the minicampaigns or use a mod to get the aforementioned items, costumes and attitudes for your regular games.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The weapons you get from the Legacy Ops are definitely worth it, too.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They are super cool, yeah.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's all worth it for the attitude unlocks.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
and soundtrack

and weapons

and missions

and bradford's beer stories

TLP is a fun thing to have. I'm glad I found a good deal on xcom 2 complete to get it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hey hey, I imagine I'll be here chatting in the future, but for now, I'm currently running a Blind LP of XCOM 2.

It's an ironman run and neither me nor my co-host have ever played any of the XCOM games before. If you want scream at your screen, feel a little smug or just laugh at our ineptitude, then I'd love to see you there.

Oh, we're also accepting soldier submissions from the audience so we might even get your soldiers killed. (We definitely will get your soldiers killed)

This is Fine: Let's Play XCOM 2 Blind.

There are a few episodes up already if you fancy a bit of a binge watch.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I forgot a must-have mod!

[WOTC] Cost-Based Ability Colors
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1289686596

If you sometimes simply forget to use single-AP abilities like aid protocol, quickdraw or reload before shooting, this mod is for you.
It changes the default ability icon colors to reflect their action point cost, so you can see in a glance which actions will end your turn and which won't.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Krazyface posted:

I got War of the Chosen, and I'm about to play this for the first time in a couple years. Did they ever make the Alien Hunters DLC good? Also what's the deal with the Tactical Legacy pack?

In addition to what others have said, they tweaked rulers so that they only take a turn if they can see whoever performs an action. So squadsight snipers, reapers, and explosive ambushes are quite good. Also, reloading does not provoke a response.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I don't know if she's always like this but in my game the Assassin has Shadowstep and it makes her a royal pain in the rear end. She can dash in from outside engagement range, do bad things, and then run back out. Until the AI chooses to end her turn with her standing within range she seems untouchable.

Soon as I have someone promoted to Major I'm going to go after her and put an end to this nonsense.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

Dick Trauma posted:

I don't know if she's always like this but in my game the Assassin has Shadowstep and it makes her a royal pain in the rear end. She can dash in from outside engagement range, do bad things, and then run back out. Until the AI chooses to end her turn with her standing within range she seems untouchable.

Soon as I have someone promoted to Major I'm going to go after her and put an end to this nonsense.

She is, and it's a big part of why she's so frustrating to deal with in the early game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Note: If you have the Lost and Abandoned Mission turned on, she is guaranteed to have Shadowstep. If you disable that mission, she randomizes her strengths just like the other two. She'll still dash in and run away, but she won't necessarily be immune to overwatch and reaction fire.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Get a Reaper with the ability that makes spotted enemies permanently visible and she'll be a bit less of a pain in the rear end. That skill occasionally seems weirdly inconsistent against the Assassin specifically, but it's still very useful.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

otoh in my last game the old guy chosen got "teleports when hit" and it made him a complete pain in the rear end. IIRC he also had either kinetic plating or low frame.

Chatty piece of poo poo.

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 12, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Dick Trauma posted:

Her escape is only one move action. If you can find her you can take her down. Bring a battle scanner or scanning protocol if you are having trouble.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
With bending reed you can usually see where she went. From there it's about getting a grenade onto her to blow away her cover and ideally grant the rest of your squad clear shots. Being immune to overwatch basically means you have to be very selective about where you engage her and turn the aggression up to max by using as much movement as you can per turn since much of the time cover is worthless against her.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

With the corollary that in the rare case she actually decides to use her shotgun against a flanked soldier instead of smacking someone, she's probably just gonna loving kill them in one shot and that's all there is to it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You know it seems obvious in hindsight that a mind controlled Chryssalid would create a hostile coccoon out of something it kills, but I still didn't even consider it until it happened :cripes:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I think if you swapped the Assassin’s Shadowstep for Lightning Reflexes (dodge one shot and gain a bonus for dodging the rest) it would make her a lot more palatable.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I think if she calmly walked up to my team and surrendered that would be even better.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Bring scanners. Makes the Assassin a chump. Key to kicking her rear end is to knock her out of stealth first, then just unload on her while she's standing there like a jackass.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/HetzerGonnaHetz/status/1084300557995651072

"Commander is this poo poo for real"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I finally have a chance to kill one of the Chosen and I accidentally brought my grenadier who is afraid of... Chosen. :shepicide:

The grenadier's fear manifested as "obsessed" so that worked out perfectly. :hellyeah:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 13, 2019

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Assassin is almost entirely anti-overwatch. Mobility/vision will spoil her day.
Warlock mostly just spams minions.
Sniper doesn't really seem to do anything, his main sniping skill is so easily countered

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Carecat posted:

Sniper doesn't really seem to do anything, his main sniping skill is so easily countered

he spawned first in my current campaign. Turn 1->3, does nothing but camps the objective. We advance. Turn 4, he summons 2 heavy guys. Turn 5 he insta-bleeds one of my guys (full health to bleedout). Turn 6 he does it again to another guy. gently caress HIM. We were outnumbered and outgunned. I picked up the fallen and ran away before we all got killed.

this was on commander though. And I'd had poo poo luck with alien supplies so I was still on base equipment while that gently caress had 2 armor, 30 hp; and his minions each ~8 hp.

It was kind of painful is what I'm saying

double nine fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 13, 2019

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Carecat posted:

Hunter does nothing right up until he decides he's just going to shoot your guys in the face with his rifle and then he's a colossal rear end in a top hat

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Carecat posted:

Hunter is mobility. His dumb long range skill forces you to move, which is something you probably want to do anyway, and he's got a free grapple and high movement to place himself wherever he drat well pleases. If he decides to take a regular rifle shot at your dudes, it will be a flank, guaranteed.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah the Hunter mostly just dicks around until you reach him, and then he's an absolute motherfucker if he decides to use his rifle rather then throwing stun grenades around and attempting trick shots with his pistol. That gun of his does not gently caress around when he's scoring flanking crits all day long.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hunter tips

-Hope he's not your first chosen and rolls explosion immunity
-Hope his AI doesn't decide your campaign's over

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

One actual tip I can think of is to try to engage him somewhere that only has one vertical level, so he can't use his grappling hook. This is sometimes achievable even in cities if you bring enough explosives!

e: another tip is that a Templar with the skill that allows switching places with an enemy can make a complete mockery of him. Run into the open, swap places, let the entire remainder of your squad flank-crit the fucker directly into Hell.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
As if the Hunter weren't squirrely enough, in my current game he also teleports whenever he takes damage :cripes:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Danaru posted:

As if the Hunter weren't squirrely enough, in my current game he also teleports whenever he takes damage :cripes:

I swear to god that's got to be the worst modifier a chosen can have, argh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Danaru posted:

As a plus, he'll often teleport into a place where he is flanked, so use your low-damage, high-accuracy attacks like Combat Protocol or grenades to get him to move from dangerous/hard-to-hit places into places where a shotgun/cannon/sniper can really hurt him.