Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite true - People broke the game clean over their knee within five minutes of playing the B.E.T.A. and modded it because it's mostly Fallout 4 with lovely netcode slapped on the side.

You can also do packet-inspection fuckery to do things like disconnect other players from the server you're on. It just works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Exit Strategy posted:

You can also do packet-inspection fuckery to do things like disconnect other players from the server you're on. It just works.

I knew there was a real PVP system hidden in there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Exit Strategy posted:

Don't forget that a lot of stuff is handled client-side that shouldn't be. Like registering damage and player health.

(What that means is you can just make your client not send the "My character was hit and lost XXX HP" packets, so they're effectively indestructible)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Fallout 76 is not moddable.

It is just not in the same way. you could mod bethesda's earlier games to add new assets and graphical enhancements and things like that, whereas you can mod fallout 76 so that it lets you download the whole player base's personal info

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Leal posted:

So in Morrowind I'm now refining my bling merchant by putting in a mod that lets me bring any NPCs who like me as a follower. I use my vast wealth to bribe people into liking me, thus "hiring" them, and give them souped up equipment while I sit back and use my bling to sling spells at my enemies. Whats crazy is that transportation services actually account for followers and increases the prices of transportation accordingly.

There was a trick in Skyrim to get your followers to use actually good gear, but half the time they would forget and use the poo poo tier stuff they were wearing when you hired them.

But, those occasions when they did use the quality stuff you gave them could be hilarious - especially if you'd used feedback loops to turn the weapons into god killers.

Watching horrible, boring Lydia power through a room of high level Draugr with a Dawnbreaker capable of sending them flying to the moon with a single swing never got old.

But, certainly, the best part of any Bethesda game is modding it to hell and back to the point where it's actually worth playing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The resistance radio DJ in XCOM 2 has a clip where he talks about how he doesnt know if the XCOM Commander is a man or a woman or even what they look like, but he's attracted to them regardless because of how pissed they make Advent and how many dead aliens are piling up as a result. As a bisexual dude that's an exceptionally relatable mood.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Danaru posted:

The resistance radio DJ in XCOM 2 has a clip where he talks about how he doesnt know if the XCOM Commander is a man or a woman or even what they look like, but he's attracted to them regardless because of how pissed they make Advent and how many dead aliens are piling up as a result. As a bisexual dude that's an exceptionally relatable mood.

I posted this in the wrong thread first but at the end of XCOM 2's Bradford's Big Bullshit Legacy Operations campaign, it turns out that the artifact in the last campaign XCOM's been chasing is Bradford's sweater as a cute little nod to the first game. This is fine and all except the first campaign states that Bradford woke up after XCOM fell and, depressed that humanity just got owned, pretty much staggered to a bar first thing and got all grizzled immediately. The sweater is undamaged in the cutscene.

This means that the sequence of events, canonically, is that Bradford gets knocked out when XCOM loses the base defense (and the game) in XCOM 1, wakes up some time later, instantly pops his shirt off, and immediately goes get ripshit like right down the street from XCOM HQ. :allears:

Also the radio dj's callsign is Ace in reference to the other thing the va is most notable for, Ace from Starship Troopers. The campaign is about stopping alien bugs.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That post is what made me think of it :v: I almost posted in the same thread too

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There was a trick in Skyrim to get your followers to use actually good gear, but half the time they would forget and use the poo poo tier stuff they were wearing when you hired them.

But, those occasions when they did use the quality stuff you gave them could be hilarious - especially if you'd used feedback loops to turn the weapons into god killers.

Watching horrible, boring Lydia power through a room of high level Draugr with a Dawnbreaker capable of sending them flying to the moon with a single swing never got old.

But, certainly, the best part of any Bethesda game is modding it to hell and back to the point where it's actually worth playing.

Is this another case of me inexplicably not having issues with Skyrim? My follower always defaulted to the best gear she had, only switching off if a weapon ran low on charges or if she was dismissed (and even then the script would kick back in once we entered combat, instantly switching her back to the good stuff). Only exception was bows, for some reason. Maybe because she was designed as melee-focused.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I bisected a zombie with a shotgun in the RE2make demo. :allears:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How big is RE2? It's interesting that, after so many games offering sandboxes with "you see that mountain over there?', there is hype and an appetite for a remake of a game takes place in a police-station, a sewer, and a lab. When was the sandbox trend most saturated?

AC Origins was an improvement to the series but it could have done with 200 less icons on the map.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 01:51 on Jan 12, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How big is RE2? It's interesting that, after so many games offering sandboxes with "you see that mountain over there?', there is hype and an appetite for a remake of a game takes place in a police-station, a sewer, and a lab.

I’m actually mostly hyped because it seems like a mechanically interesting remake of a really good, old, small-scope game, and they proved they still understand the formula.

Resident Evil 7 can be beaten in under 4 hours, and encourages you to do so, but also gives you incentives to play through it a bunch of times. It’s nice to see that kind of design still works in the era of essentially limitless resources.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RE7 was great but I rented it and finished it over the course of a weekend and haven't felt the need to rebuy it. There isn't enough to really make if varied and different it's just the same linear mop through a thing infested house

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

How big is RE2? It's interesting that, after so many games offering sandboxes with "you see that mountain over there?', there is hype and an appetite for a remake of a game takes place in a police-station, a sewer, and a lab. When was the sandbox trend most saturated?

AC Origins was an improvement to the series but it could have done with 200 less icons on the map.
It seemed like the police station is about as big it was in the original. They may have added some rooms but a bunch of the rooms are pretty much the exact same from the original. It's definitely really promising and I already can tell it's going to be harder than the original because zombies can follow you through doors on the reg now.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

The re2 demo owns. Game is brutal and gory as hell

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Yesterday I discovered and immediately bought the Rare Replay Xbox set which is 30 of their games on one disk and it's just been an incredible amount of fun going through them at random and playing a little and seeing what hooks me, also I haven't played a 16-bit platformer properly, like with a controller on a couch etc, since that era so I forgot how much of it is that casual experience that makes the whole thing super relaxing.

Anyway, the point of this post is my favourite little thing so far which is the silly way you used to be able to break the 4th wall in side scrollers. In Battletoads Arcade there's a finishing move with some enemies where you kick them off their axis and they splat against the "back" of your monitor and it's just ever so satisfying and fun :3:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I haven't played enough dark souls style games but I really enjoy the secret stuff they put into them. What are some of your favorite hidden/secret/hard to find or discover things in soulslike-games?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

flatluigi posted:

I haven't played enough dark souls style games but I really enjoy the secret stuff they put into them. What are some of your favorite hidden/secret/hard to find or discover things in soulslike-games?

Ash Lake in ds1 is probably the best. Guy who got me into the game directed me to the hidden walls but didn't tell me more so when I got to the bottom I was blown away

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
DS1 is the only one I've played to completion and I still really like Ash Lake and the painting area, it's just that i'm unfamiliar with any of the others :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
One of my favorites is that you can see the implied stories of other adventurers in Dark Souls 1. The equipment of the starting classes are found around the early areas, in places where it does make sense they'd probably have died. The Deprived actually got the furthest, with their equipment off in a side-area of Lower Blighttown. Some of the phantoms you can summon for boss fights can also be found as dead bodies, indicating where their own journey actually ended; Witch Beatrice, who you can summon for the Four Kings fight, actually died taking a shortcut on the way there. Meanwhile Black Iron Tarkus, who you can summon for the Iron Golem, did make it but died soon after in Anor Londo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The abandoned workshop in Bloodborne, which is just a giant WTF.

vvvvvv The best part is that you’ve known that was possible in the back of your mind for the whole game since you can see a pickup there from Amelia.

haveblue has a new favorite as of 03:50 on Jan 13, 2019

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
The hidden area and boss after the Celestial Emissary in Bloodborne. Being able to look down and realise exactly where you are. Theres a good half dozen hidden and semi-hidden areas like that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
The whole Mephistopheles and Yurt sidequest in Demon's Souls is still one of my favourites. I was glad to see it "continue" in Dark Souls 1 with the whole Lautrec thing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I bought a bunch more PS2 games, and so far I'm really digging the puzzle game Detonator, although I got stuck on the second to last building. It's a neat kind of combo of that game where you click coloured groups of blocks to delete them, and a jigsaw puzzle with visual hints of tetris, as you try to use explosives to damage every block in a given buliding so you get to demolish it. It's a fun idea and has some neat boards.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In the original Resident Evil 2 Mr. X was a big, bald dude who would chase you at certain points in the story. Now, 20 years later, they've given him a hat. He's also more dynamic since you are alerted to him first by the sound of his footsteps, and he will be alerted to you if you make a loud noise. He's made intimidating by his theme-tune and the almost casual body-language he exhibits here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMo8LNXN_ss&t=89s

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I love how he just kramers into the room like "heard you talking like I wouldn't find out." And I hope he brushes aside anyone you are dealing with, and guys like lickers don't know what the gently caress.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

marshmallow creep posted:

I love how he storms in and casually brushes the zombie she's dealing with aside. Just kramers into the room like "heard you talking like I wouldn't find out."

I think the first time I ran into this kind of boss-ish character was in Hero Core, which has The Eliminator that can just warp into most rooms you're at, destroying all the other enemies inside and fighting you for a while until you kill it or it retreats. I really loved it, though something more formidable/scary like that zombie guy would be cooler in retrospect. But hey, it looked cool and you could get your character to look like it so it's all good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

In the original Resident Evil 2 Mr. X was a big, bald dude who would chase you at certain points in the story. Now, 20 years later, they've given him a hat. He's also more dynamic since you are alerted to him first by the sound of his footsteps, and he will be alerted to you if you make a loud noise. He's made intimidating by his theme-tune and the almost casual body-language he exhibits here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMo8LNXN_ss&t=89s

I may have misheard this, but isn't Mr. X also now able to just free-roam the map like the Alien in Alien Isolation?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I may have misheard this, but isn't Mr. X also now able to just free-roam the map like the Alien in Alien Isolation?
Yeah, I think so.

One thing that definitely is going to make the game harder than the original is that moving into different rooms won't protect you because any zombie can just bust open doors and chase after you through rooms if they were close enough behind you when you ran into another room.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, I think so.

One thing that definitely is going to make the game harder than the original is that moving into different rooms won't protect you because any zombie can just bust open doors and chase after you through rooms if they were close enough behind you when you ran into another room.

Oh my God they've figured out how to kill the loading screen. We're doomed!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Started playing Graffiti Beat-em-up Marc Echo's Getting Up and it's really fun so far. The combat is fairly satisfying and hits feel pretty strong, and the graffiti collectibles are neat. I also like the MP3 songs you can collect as they give reasons to explore the levels, although the only level with real exploring so far has been the Pool Yard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Supposedly so. You can lose him but he'll track you down eventually. It's probably very similar to Jack in RE7 since RE2 reuses a lot of content from that, but damned if it isn't effective.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It feels really weird that RE2 is getting such an enormous reimagining, when the RE1 and RE0 remakes were essentially mechanically faithful graphical/engine updates.

There's nothing wrong with either approach, it just feels weird. It's like a less extreme version of how the modern-available versions of the early Final Fantasy games jump from 'decent ports only available on smartphones' to 'full 3D remakes' to 'really ugly smartphone ports that were at least ported to other platforms'.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

It feels really weird that RE2 is getting such an enormous reimagining, when the RE1 and RE0 remakes were essentially mechanically faithful graphical/engine updates.

There's nothing wrong with either approach, it just feels weird. It's like a less extreme version of how the modern-available versions of the early Final Fantasy games jump from 'decent ports only available on smartphones' to 'full 3D remakes' to 'really ugly smartphone ports that were at least ported to other platforms'.

The RE1/0 remakes were essentially HD rebuilds of the original game to show off the vast difference in graphics the Gamecube could manage vs the PSX, with a few tweaks here and there. All the RE games were built the same way at the time, so keeping it relatively faithful was what the fanbase would've wanted rather than re-inventing the wheel. It's been 21 years since RE2 was released, and people have different expectations on how a Resident Evil game plays best now due to RE4 and probably a little of REVII.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

Started playing Graffiti Beat-em-up Marc Echo's Getting Up and it's really fun so far. The combat is fairly satisfying and hits feel pretty strong, and the graffiti collectibles are neat. I also like the MP3 songs you can collect as they give reasons to explore the levels, although the only level with real exploring so far has been the Pool Yard.

I really liked that game but I was disappointed it moves away from the being a cool graffiti artist plot to a ~government conspiracy~

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cleretic posted:

Resident Evil 0 was never a remake though. It and the GameCube remake of RE1 got HD ports recently, but the RE2 remake is more along the level of what they did for RE1 going from PSX to GameCube.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Remake RE6 in the RE7 style and try to make it suspenseful horror (like the first... third or so of RE7) but without changing the plot or dialogue. This will prove that games are art. Do it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cleretic posted:

REmake was a huge reimagining of the first game, maybe not to the extent that RE2 will be, but when you consider that the first Resident Evil and its remake were only six years apart, the differences in both visuals and tone are staggering. RE0 was a brand new game in the REmake engine (and pretty bad).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dewgy posted:

Resident Evil 0 was never a remake though. It and the GameCube remake of RE1 got HD ports recently, but the RE2 remake is more along the level of what they did for RE1 going from PSX to GameCube.

Honestly, I didn't even know that those were HD ports of Gamecube remakes. Partly because I didn't even know those GameCube remakes existed until now, I thought the HD versions were it.

And I didn't ask questions because that's the kind of remake I love; polish up the presentation, possibly fix bugs, leave the gameplay as intact as reasonably possible. The 'total reimagining' approach to remakes is all well and good, but I prefer getting basically the original game, warts and all, that was famous in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
If you want a prettier version of an old game emulation exists, especially for a game that old.
If youre gonna put in effort might as well really put in effort.