Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh phew it wasnt racism, just a well founded fear of demolition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
That's actually a pretty sensible thing to worry about.

"We don't want you people here. But we're not racist, have you seen the damage villains do while trying to kill heroes?"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ugh, superheroes are the most oppressed minority group! RISE UP! [waves flag with Clown 9's face on it]

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

also

https://twitter.com/ericisajoke/status/1082988501111631872

Flaccid French Fry
Nov 27, 2018

Hey sir I really like your idea sir and I really think we should implement it sir why don't you talk to my CSM sir and see what he says sir and hopefully we can get sir this ball rolling sir thanks sir. HOOAH am I right sir.
I kind of wonder, has there ever been a Marvel equivalent of Gotham Central about normal people having to put up with destructive superhero stuff they don't understand?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The closest thing is probably Damage Control, which was about a construction company specially focused on repairing damage from supervillainy and superheroics.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mr. Maltose posted:

The closest thing is probably Damage Control, which was about a construction company specially focused on repairing damage from supervillainy and superheroics.

But didn't Damage Control have a bunch of minor league capes on payroll?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They didn't hyphenate...

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Kwyndig posted:

But didn't Damage Control have a bunch of minor league capes on payroll?

And didn't Halliburton get a bunch of reconstruction contracts in Iraq? The beauty of the military-industrial complex is, it perpetuates itself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Flaccid French Fry posted:

I kind of wonder, has there ever been a Marvel equivalent of Gotham Central about normal people having to put up with destructive superhero stuff they don't understand?

There was a one-off comic in the 90s where various cops talked about Spider-man.

Flaccid French Fry
Nov 27, 2018

Hey sir I really like your idea sir and I really think we should implement it sir why don't you talk to my CSM sir and see what he says sir and hopefully we can get sir this ball rolling sir thanks sir. HOOAH am I right sir.
Awesome, thanks guys. I'll have to check those out.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Marvels? Doesn't have cops but its more or less that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Marvels? Doesn't have cops but its more or less that.

Marvels is the opposite og GC. In GC a lot of the cops have a ambivalent relationship to Batman and consider it a failure to turn on the batsignal. In Marvels the main character loves superheroes uncritically.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lurdiak posted:

There was a one-off comic in the 90s where various cops talked about Spider-man.

About how they had to make-out if they wanted him to show up? :shobon:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

I remember Daily Bugle being along those lines: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=80981

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

LUKE LUKE FOCUS

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Im on my phone but just delete luke's dialog in the second panel

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The first panel has the look of a sticker book. Their placement and size and how they stand out against the grey background.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MJH has a bit of a Bobble-Head going on in the last frame.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Spider eyes, spider eyes, radioactive spider guys

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wow, Cage is seriously depressed

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I would be too if someone said I sucked more than Peter

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A little late but I finally saw Into The SpiderVerse and it's loving amazing and there is a ton in there that invokes the spirit of Newspaper Spider-Man wonderfully.

quote:

Lord and Miller envisioned him to be like The Karate Kid's Mr. Miyagi, if "Mr. Miyagi doesn't know anything"

:allears:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

A little late but I finally saw Into The SpiderVerse and it's loving amazing and there is a ton in there that invokes the spirit of Newspaper Spider-Man wonderfully.

It is almost certainly the best spider-man movie ever made.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/Raythrill/status/1083641079193321473

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

I'm just throwing this out there, but Spider-verse implies Aunt May and Olivia Octavius / Doc Ock were an item some time in the past. What with the "Let me guess, your friends call you Doc Ock?" "My enemies call me Doc Ock, my friends call me Liv" exchange, followed later by May going "Oh, it's Liv" when the villains show up at her house. And that's super awesome for a movie that's basically aimed at kids.

Also this was likely 100% not the intention of the film makers, but the whole movie can be seen as a trans narrative. But sometimes my trans goggles are on a bit too tight, so maybe it's just me.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Spider-verse rocks and also I have no idea how these two are going to stop Purple Man. I'm sure it will be either ridiculous or underwhelming, no in-between.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Mikl posted:

I'm just throwing this out there, but Spider-verse implies Aunt May and Olivia Octavius / Doc Ock were an item some time in the past. What with the "Let me guess, your friends call you Doc Ock?" "My enemies call me Doc Ock, my friends call me Liv" exchange, followed later by May going "Oh, it's Liv" when the villains show up at her house. And that's super awesome for a movie that's basically aimed at kids.

Also this was likely 100% not the intention of the film makers, but the whole movie can be seen as a trans narrative. But sometimes my trans goggles are on a bit too tight, so maybe it's just me.

You know, I didn't get that but I can see it now. Facing down villains, sometimes even your own family...asserting your own identity, even when people say you can't possibly be that...John Mulaney is there...

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

"You're the same as me." "But I don't want to be the same as you!" "Nothing either of us can do about that, kid."

Then the scene where Miles leaves the school infirmary and starts walking through the corridor and goes "It's fine, no one knows, it's fine... OH poo poo EVERYONE KNOWS AND THEY'RE ALL LAUGHING AT ME"

Then the bus scene. "I'm glad I can be here for you, I know how hard figuring this thing out on your own can be."

And many more small things. Again, I'm sure this wasn't the intention the movie was written with, but it's super easy to draw parallels.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Mikl posted:

Then the bus scene. "I'm glad I can be here for you, I know how hard figuring this thing out on your own can be."

:3:

Clearly my troggles weren't on tight enough.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
This thread has broken my brain. I began reading Miller's Daredevil, and the trade opens with a couple of issues of Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-man that would be completely at home in this strip

Peter was blinded by the Masked Marauder and is being helped by Murdock

and the first thing he does is a straight up Fappo! moment

Matt takes him to his apartment to call for help and in the background is what I'm assuming is how Peter is anytime he's not swinging around

They go to an optometrist with a disguise that would make NSM look like a genius

He even pulls the secret identity thing

And the Spider-Sense does its job

I couldn't even read the second issue because I'm sure this is all supposed to be very dramatic but I can't stop thinking this thread

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I miss Daredevil's cane.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I would imagine that if Newspaper Spider-Man lost his sight for a while, he would actually become more competent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Samuringa posted:

This thread has broken my brain. I began reading Miller's Daredevil, and the trade opens with a couple of issues of Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-man that would be completely at home in this strip

Peter was blinded by the Masked Marauder and is being helped by Murdock

and the first thing he does is a straight up Fappo! moment

Matt takes him to his apartment to call for help and in the background is what I'm assuming is how Peter is anytime he's not swinging around

They go to an optometrist with a disguise that would make NSM look like a genius

He even pulls the secret identity thing

And the Spider-Sense does its job

I couldn't even read the second issue because I'm sure this is all supposed to be very dramatic but I can't stop thinking this thread

For whatever reason Spectacular has Peter acting a hell of a lot dumber than Amazing, at least up through the 80s.

Although in general, before JM Dematteis came on and made things kinda dark, the post Stan Lee era was a very goofy time for Spidey. I'm not saying there were no good stories, but a lot of them were a lot sillier than what you'd expect and I'm not sure if it was deliberate.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

freshlybaked posted:

Spider-verse rocks and also I have no idea how these two are going to stop Purple Man. I'm sure it will be either ridiculous or underwhelming, no in-between.

MJ dresses up as Marvella and Purps ditches Spider-Man for a true hero.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This is like the fourth or fifth time he's faced Mysterio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And after he started suffering from osteoporosis.