Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

i bought jurrasic park on vhs for 20 bucks and now they ask for 20 bucks for it on 4k? Dont they know I already saw it?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I feel like mentioning it because I thought it was funny, but the guy that started the Bowsette Meme was given a trophy from Niconico and Pixiv. They made sure he got it when Deluxe released too, go figure.

https://twitter.com/ayyk92/status/1083825086375723008

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Maybe boomers do have a point about participation trophies

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

Berseria is so refreshing a story to come from a Tales game of all things. A woman is turned into a monster and instead of lamenting her fate she leans into it hard and makes no bones about being out for revenge and is so single minded about it the whole time. It's great.
man, Berseria was so good.

I'm also one of the people who played Symphonia as a kid (and liked it) as my first and only Tales game until Berseria, so I'm looking forward to playing Vesperia though. I bought it and I'm only like an hour into it, but it's.... a Tales game!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I picked up Vesp and it was my favorite game of the series. Least that's what I remember. Almost scared I'm gonna gently caress up that memory

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I picked up Vesp and it was my favorite game of the series. Least that's what I remember. Almost scared I'm gonna gently caress up that memory

Nah it's good. I like Berseria and Abyss more but it's still very good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like how upfront it is about how ridiculously anime it's going to get.

Yes, this dog has a sword, a rad scar over it's eye and is smoking a pipe like an old samurai. No, it's just a dog.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

vesperia and zestiria were the only ones i bothered to beat so they must be the best

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Vesperia has good characters and a few moments that are so starkly different from the rest of the games in the series that make it memorable. I won't say what those moments are but Yuri is a good JRPG protagonist.

The little pirate girl could ruin it idk what her deal is because she came about later

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Over There posted:

I never played Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 or Super Mario 3D World so I'm really hoping we get some more ports soon.

The Galaxy games are pretty perfect. They could rerelease them almost as-is if they were upscaled to 1080p, and they did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMQWcl_99fs

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Spellman posted:

The Galaxy games are pretty perfect. They could rerelease them almost as-is if they were upscaled to 1080p, and they did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMQWcl_99fs

I'm sure they will. Gotta milk their ports.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

il serpente cosmico posted:

I played them with an xbone controller. This is better in some ways (mapping a button to shake is a huge quality of life improvement), and worse in others (the pointer is a bit awkward, but not terribly so).

I think I still have the controller profiles for SMG1 saved on my PC if you're interested in them. They needed a slight modification for some of SMG2's gimmick levels but it wasn't hard to figure out.

Could you? I tried a bit but could never get something that felt right. It's put me off from playing because I do want 1440p and no wiimote horseshit. Screens of relevant settings windows would be enough if that's easier.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GreatGreen posted:

How would it rank among the rest of the 2D Mario platformers?

The worst of the past three generations of console/handheld Mario games. It wasn't worth $60 at Wii U's launch and it's not worth $60 now. Skip it unless you're absolutely frothing at the mouth for more 2D sidescrolling Mario.

("Worst" is not to say it's a bad game, but it's not great.)

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

enojy posted:

The worst of the past three generations of console/handheld Mario games. It wasn't worth $60 at Wii U's launch and it's not worth $60 now. Skip it unless you're absolutely frothing at the mouth for more 2D sidescrolling Mario.

("Worst" is not to say it's a bad game, but it's not great.)

nah

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I agree it wasn’t worth the $60 at launch for the Wii U version but this version includes New Super Luigi U as well so it’s a better value. I’d rank both of them as being better than all the other NSMB games but yeah, it’s not as good as other mainline Mario games. Still worth a playthrough though, especially if you play it coop.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

If you wasn't an awesome 2D platformer then skip it and get Tropical Freeze instead.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Its the best in the series but you're talking about an extremely JRPG series. It is absolutely rude as gently caress about its hidden things and god help you if you're shooting for trophies/achievements in it.

Also the reason its fondly remembered is for Yuri and the stuff his character does which does not normally happen in these sorts of games although when the plot shifts to its last 3rd that goes by the wayside for somewhat obvious reasons and most people view the ending portion a little dimly.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I wasted 10 minutes trying to pull this off, finally got it, then found out that it automatically ends at 50 seconds and doing it the intended way is trivial. I hope you're happy.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

If you wasn't an awesome 2D platformer then skip it and get Tropical Freeze instead.

I like both but yeah, I’d choose Tropical Freeze over it, if you have to pick.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm waiting to get my Jumpgate portable dock thing, and in the meantime I'm looking for a good case that'll fit it. I have my Splatoon 2 edition slim case, which does have a mesh pocket, but is so snug that you can't even fit the joycon straps in there without the whole case uncomfortably bulging outward.

What's a case that's not too thick (preferably less than 2 inches) but still has a deep enough storage space for the "core drive" component of the Jumpgate (3.4" x 1.4" x 0.4" according to the Kickstarter campaign)?

Edit: Would also prefer not to have those silly elastic bands that a lot of cases seem to have and are a pain in the rear end to put on/take off, though it's not a dealbreaker

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

There's a webm floating around from the wii u version of some guy killing both of them, somehow lodging himself against the inner wall, flipping all over the place and more. (Actually might be the one with 4 fire bros)

The games boring but its movement is pretty good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Barudak posted:

Its the best in the series but you're talking about an extremely JRPG series. It is absolutely rude as gently caress about its hidden things and god help you if you're shooting for trophies/achievements in it.

Also the reason its fondly remembered is for Yuri and the stuff his character does which does not normally happen in these sorts of games although when the plot shifts to its last 3rd that goes by the wayside for somewhat obvious reasons and most people view the ending portion a little dimly.

Eu from what the tales thread says Yuri and what he does are the worst part.

He’s basically bog standard tales protagonist who kind of dominates the plot leaving the other party members little to do

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jan 12, 2019

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Sure would be cool if Mario had an "always run" option.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
oh boy do i have the game for you

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Sure would be cool if Mario had an "always run" option.

this would be a good decision honestly

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
At the very least a toggle, my thumb gets sore if I play for more than 2 levels in portable.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/barronsonline/status/1083903069715337216

Umm, ok.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

A Bag of Milk posted:

Could you? I tried a bit but could never get something that felt right. It's put me off from playing because I do want 1440p and no wiimote horseshit. Screens of relevant settings windows would be enough if that's easier.

These are the configs I used: https://mega.nz/#!BJwE2YiK!p8illyEmH5Ndi9Ga2C0EOhXgdN6GEYPEkFSVQ_tOUz4

There are three; one for regular playforming, one for the ball rolling levels, and one for the surfing levels. You'll push RB and use the right stick to use the pointer.

You'll need to modify one of them for the gimmick levels in SMG2, but I didn't find it too difficult to find something that worked.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eu from what the tales thread says Yuri and what he does are the worst part.

He’s basically bog standard tales protagonist who kind of dominates the plot leaving the other party members little to do

Gonna be frank, most Tales games have half or more of the characters contribute nothing. There is a character in Symphonia who I believe entire impact on the plot is "throws a fireball to open a door once in a cutscene, does not actually have a fireball move in game" and he's not particularly unique in the Tales franchise. Having Yuri dominate the story might be a bad thing, but his entire character gimmick is antithetical to how most JRPG narratives are constructed and the half-baked morality they espouse its not a bad diversion*, but obviously if it were every game it'd be annoying as heck.

*spoilers Most JRPGs the villains get away, laugh at our heroes, reoccur. Our heros never do the death blow unless forced into a corner and every villain who dies gets a tragic backstory. Here, people are just evil and Yuri just loving murders them when he gets alone with them which he does with regularity for the first 1/2-2/3rds of the game

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

What's the general story? When I think about it I DO NOT have time for a JRPG, but I'm very curious. One my last summers in high school I would spend all day out with my friends and all night from like midnight to 4 playing Symphonia which I 100%, new game + both story lines etc. Then I'd wake up at ten am and do it all over again. It was idyllic.

The cool dog. Is it a character you can play and fight as? Most other characters weren't nearly as good to use as Lloyd but it was fun to do so regardless.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What's the general story? When I think about it I DO NOT have time for a JRPG, but I'm very curious. One my last summers in high school I would spend all day out with my friends and all night from like midnight to 4 playing Symphonia which I 100%, new game + both story lines etc. Then I'd wake up at ten am and do it all over again. It was idyllic.

The cool dog. Is it a character you can play and fight as? Most other characters weren't nearly as good to use as Lloyd but it was fun to do so regardless.

The cool dog is the second party member you get and is literally just a dog who smokes and uses swords.

The story is split into 3 pretty discrete chunks and the first two are quite good, mostly again for the above reasons about Yuri and being for a JRPG relatively low stakes, while the third one sort of sucks a bunch and everybody thinks the game falls apart at that point.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Barudak posted:

Gonna be frank, most Tales games have half or more of the characters contribute nothing. There is a character in Symphonia who I believe entire impact on the plot is "throws a fireball to open a door once in a cutscene, does not actually have a fireball move in game" and he's not particularly unique in the Tales franchise. Having Yuri dominate the story might be a bad thing, but his entire character gimmick is antithetical to how most JRPG narratives are constructed and the half-baked morality they espouse its not a bad diversion*, but obviously if it were every game it'd be annoying as heck.

*spoilers Most JRPGs the villains get away, laugh at our heroes, reoccur. Our heros never do the death blow unless forced into a corner and every villain who dies gets a tragic backstory. Here, people are just evil and Yuri just loving murders them when he gets alone with them which he does with regularity for the first 1/2-2/3rds of the game

He does that like twice in the entire 70 hour game and it's the only thing people remember him for

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

He does that like twice in the entire 70 hour game and it's the only thing people remember him for

Is it 3? It honestly doesn't matter because that alone should tell you how loving dire Tales and most JRPG writing is. Also it has cutscene skip.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

The Ready Player One of financial articles

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

caldrax posted:

At the very least a toggle, my thumb gets sore if I play for more than 2 levels in portable.

Yeah I have the same complaint in mega Man for buster charging. 11's item to do it automatically was a godsend

There's a pretty bad control issue I've seen in zero reviews, even ones complaining about the controls. You can toggle the jump and dash buttons to be on A and B or Y and B respectively, but when you do this it changes it for ALL controllers. So I was playing with my son and gave him the NES controller, and I had to do the toggle so he would have a dash button for be B. But this meant on my SF30Pro I also had to play with A and B. It was a pain!

Also the SF30Pro Dpad isn't as good as I thought, it is always registering down presses I didn't intend

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 12, 2019

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It would be nice if Vesperia didnt crash whenever it felt like it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Since we're chatting about Mario. The only Mario platformer I've played until this year was NSMB on the DS. I enjoyed it so I picked up Super Mario Bros and Super Mario World, but found the first one way to unforgiving for me. Super Mario World is also a lot harder than New Super Mario. Which surprised me.

I had to farm 99 lives and it me 50 of those to get through world six. Maybe I'm just bad at video games.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

I could agree to this.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

OhFunny posted:

Since we're chatting about Mario. The only Mario platformer I've played until this year was NSMB on the DS. I enjoyed it so I picked up Super Mario Bros and Super Mario World, but found the first one way to unforgiving for me. Super Mario World is also a lot harder than New Super Mario. Which surprised me.

I had to farm 99 lives and it me 50 of those to get through world six. Maybe I'm just bad at video games.

Nah, chocolate island is pretty tough as I recall. Granted it's been a while since I've played it. The whole butter bridge world I found a bit more challenging overall though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I sure would love the switch in a slightly thinner chassis at roughly 3 times its current price.