Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

hopterque posted:

That whole combat scene through Dalin's eyes is probably the most insane, authentic look at what mass combat would be like in the 40k universe anyone has ever written. Just absolute nonsensical mayhem and madness and sensory overload.

I've said it before and I will again that Dalin's POV in Armor Of Contempt is pretty incredibly written. Easily one of Abnett's best books. I had chills after reading Dalin's section and you could so clearly emphasize. I lowkey loved the way that they didn't even come close to the enemy for the longest time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

then a book or two later the 3,000 strong ghosts are sent to hold the entire western approach or whatever on the fortress world Jago.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I'm halfway through Blacktalon by Andy Clark right now and it is, by far, the best AoS novel I've read. I really hope he sticks the landing because it's been truly amazing so far and really pushes and challenges the setting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Biplane posted:

then a book or two later the 3,000 strong ghosts are sent to hold the entire western approach or whatever on the fortress world Jago.

It was more of an Hougoumont scenario where they were trying to hold down the flank by controlling the high ground. And they did a good job of it.

Only in Death loving rules. In fact, The Lost arc between Traitor General and Only In Death is probably the best Ghosts material out there. Blood Pact is good as well, but until Abnett figures out how to finish stuff up following Warmaster I'm holding out on my judgement of The Victory arc.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 11, 2019

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

It was more of an Hougoumont scenario where they were trying to hold down the flank by controlling the high ground. And they did a good job of it.

Only in Death loving rules.

Oh for sure, it's one of my favorites, but it does suffer from the scale issue that plagues all the 40k authors to some extent.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Reminder lads The Anarch is out tomorrow on the BL website.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I wish you didn't remind me because I forgot to preorder and I'm broke!

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Preechr posted:

My favorite part of Ravenor was the elite inquisitorial team coming up against their most brutal foe, and failing: the sheer grinding horror of clerical work in the Administratum.

Speaking of the administratum, is there any books or short-stories where the protagonists actively abuse the system in funny/dumb ways? Like they intentionally fill out the wrong form to be able to requisition a larger spaceship as they know the time it takes for the bureaucracy to notice the problem is longer than the expected service life of the spaceship anyway.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

None that I can recall. Usually it's a little blurb of a menial accidentally putting in a wrong number or so and then shrugging their shoulders in an "Eh, what's the worse that can happen?" manner since they can't or have no time to correct it.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Zudgemud posted:

Speaking of the administratum, is there any books or short-stories where the protagonists actively abuse the system in funny/dumb ways? Like they intentionally fill out the wrong form to be able to requisition a larger spaceship as they know the time it takes for the bureaucracy to notice the problem is longer than the expected service life of the spaceship anyway.

I mean Ciaphas Caine's whole schtick is abusing the system to keep him and his people and especially him safe from harm. It doesn't always work, which is when we get a book, but by and large he is pretty great at Beuracracy.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

As much as I like the Helsreach and Astartes shorts, it would be cool if someone animated a Cain short.

Emperor's text to speech gets a little too silly for me.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

mllaneza posted:

Holy poo poo that's good. Best Astartes in video form to date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMGRa4_UjE4

e. Dat plasma pistol. Emperor on Terra that's good.

Hot drat this is some cool poo poo.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Arquinsiel posted:

Miniatures exist of Titan crew. None of them are hardwired in. IIRC the forgeworld stuff at least had the crew plugged in, but there's not actually as much room in there as the novels like to play with.
I think it makes the most sense if each legion chooses themselves whether to do the amniotic tank or not. Like the Legions in Titanicus did it but the PoV princep's legion in Mechanicum mostly didn't and he only got tanked because he was grievously injured.

Also being in the tank isn't too bad because there's a noosphere link so you've basically got a local internet connection.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Theres a princeps in plague war struggling to master hisWarhounds machine spirit, and he’s thinking about how one day he can immerse himself in an amniotic tank and lose himself inside the Titan. It’s something he’s looking forward to.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I don't remember in which book I read it, but the explanation that piloting a Titan is essentially an addiction. The longer you do it, the harder it gets to unplug and be yourself. The tank is where you end up once you can't really function as a normal dude walking around anymore. Like, when you've past the point where being plugged into the manifold is more natural than just being yourself.

Or, as previously mentioned, if you for some reason or another suddenly find yourself short of a couple of limbs.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Zudgemud posted:

I think the closest you get to an administratum gently caress up being a central part of the plot happens in Fifteen Hours where someone does some poor data entry that results in a troop transport crash landing in the wrong war zone which results in everyone except the protagonist getting killed .

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ed balls balls man posted:

Reminder lads The Anarch is out tomorrow on the BL website.

Wait what.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wait what.

It says it's available on the 12th.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

wiegieman posted:

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Just checked it and it's actually out on the 19th but is available to preorder from the 12th. They could have made that clearer.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
Holy hell that snuck up on me. Delightful.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

a lovely king posted:

Just checked it and it's actually out on the 19th but is available to preorder from the 12th. They could have made that clearer.

Just gone to buy it and yeah, they've cleared it up.

Knobs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Can't wait for it to come out three months later to any store that isn't the BL webstore or a GW store. :v:
Granted that does give me time to read The Warmaster, which I haven't gotten around to yet because I'm on hold with the Ulrika the vampire omnibus.

But yeah, still not too pleased with BLs release practices as I want to read the Blacktalon book among others but it's still not out yet elsewhere.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

No sign of the audiobook either I note. They definitely said Mp3 as one of the options for Anarch when it was in the 'Coming Soon' tab.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
For the way tech works the best way to think about it i think is that there is no standard way of doing anything in 40k, there might be common tech like "man machine interface" and some forgeworld in bumble gently caress has to wire you into the ship itself because well thats how they know how to do it. While another forgeworld/sector might have the tech to have a lighter hand in things with just some interface ports on the skull.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
City of Secrets by Nick Horth is a fantastic novella. Highly recommended!

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

It depends on the book, depends on the situation, like everything Abnett does. He can nail scale in one book and botch it the next. His best look at mass scale combat is probably the initial planetfall in Armor of Contempt when the Navy displaces so much atmosphere that they cause a cascade of thunderstorms dues to the pressure change.

Abnett just isn't a 40k bible type of guy. He's a solid writer that happens to do 40k and he writes fun books that are thematically consistent. He won't keep track of how many crew members a ship has in the lore (although he'll be consistent within his story).

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So what are good books to read? I haven't gotten anything new since Watchers on the Throne and I'd like to pick something up since I'm ordering the Anarch right now.

I'm especially interested in anything with Guilliman and anything good by writers I already like (Christ Wraight, Abnett and Bowden).

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Out of curiosity, has there been anything announced as to whether Gaunt's Ghosts is ending any time soon, since The Anarch will presumably finish off the latest "season"?

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Metalshark posted:

Out of curiosity, has there been anything announced as to whether Gaunt's Ghosts is ending any time soon, since The Anarch will presumably finish off the latest "season"?

I think I read an interview with Abnett where he said he had one more arc in mind after this one but no confirmation on whether that'll be the last arc.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hope Milo shows up for the finale, the Saint is around so he should be as well.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

So what are good books to read? I haven't gotten anything new since Watchers on the Throne and I'd like to pick something up since I'm ordering the Anarch right now.

I'm especially interested in anything with Guilliman and anything good by writers I already like (Christ Wraight, Abnett and Bowden).

Dark Imperium and Dark Imperium: Plague War, although not written by any of the holy trinity, are both really loving good and feature Guilliman prominently.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

Lords of Silence by Wraight is a really great death guard book.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I could see Abnett writing another section after finishing Anarch. Have the final battle that ultimately wins the Sabbat Crusade, and then have an arc that deals with the bitter reality of how long mop up operations will take and how he still hasn't found a home for the Tanith.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I recently picked up The Victory omnibus (part 1), and given how low-key impressed the Space Marines were with Gaunt, Mkoll, and the Ghosts in general , I could see any future Ghost-claimed planet becoming a recruitment planet for one of the chapters .

Lol who am I kidding, the Ghosts will never get a planet.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Biplane posted:

Dark Imperium and Dark Imperium: Plague War, although not written by any of the holy trinity, are both really loving good and feature Guilliman prominently.

Plague War was okay but man what were you on because the first Dark Imperium book is just absolutely dreadful. It's almost as bad as that one terrible smurf novel we're all forgetting from the early Horus Heresy days.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Plague War was okay but man what were you on because the first Dark Imperium book is just absolutely dreadful. It's almost as bad as that one terrible smurf novel we're all forgetting from the early Horus Heresy days.

Dark Imperium had the redeeming quality of being the first to give us an in depth insight into Guilliman post resurrection but otherwise yes, it's just a commercial for Primaris Marines models.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The Iron Rose posted:

I loved it

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Senjuro posted:

Dark Imperium had the redeeming quality of being the first to give us an in depth insight into Guilliman post resurrection but otherwise yes, it's just a commercial for Primaris Marines models.

The opening set in the scouring owned, the side bit of the dude on the hospital world was neat and the bit at the end was decent. The biggest issue with dark imperium is that its like 3 "good" short stories but slammed together as one novel it drags alot with tons of establishing and framing. Armor of fate the short story where Gdubs meets with the eldar about if he can take off his armor without dying since it may or may not contain his soul phoneix lord style rather than it being in his body is a perfect example of how they would have worked as bite sized stories.

Same with plague war honestly though that was a little more cohesive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Preechr posted:

My favorite part of Ravenor was the elite inquisitorial team coming up against their most brutal foe, and failing: the sheer grinding horror of clerical work in the Administratum.

My favorite part of Ravenor was his team of geniuses and veteran professionals trying to aprehend a suspect during a public event, at his place of work with full security and a planetary governor in attendance, instead of doing it the day before when he goes to take a dump or something.