Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teagone posted:

Shelling, strafing. Semantics. Just remembered that strafing plane ends up crashing into Smallville when the one big dude squishes the pilot. You asked for examples of the military's resulting collateral damage in the film, well there they are.

I mean...yes, there’s a difference. “Shelling” implies a sustained bombardment over time. That doesn’t happen. And blaming the military for the actions of the invading aliens seems pretty disingenuous. The point was the military causing collateral damage, not being the unfortunate victims of it.

quote:

I like how you deflected the examples with the good ol' "but look at all the collateral damage Superman caused in comparison!" I mean, yeah, Kryptonians are dangerous and clearly destructive. The movie doesn't shy away from telling you that. What were you arguing again?

Yeah, causing “quite a small amount, really, all things considered” versus “Jesus Christ, it’s like you’re trying to gently caress everything up” is a pointless distinction.

And originally I was poking fun at certain people’s reaction to Black Panther and McCloud just blithely dove onto that grenade. To be fair, I’m the one who brought up the Forbidden Movie, so sorry about that, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

And I very pointedly made fun of you right back, I thought that was obvious.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

McCloud posted:

And I very pointedly made fun of you right back, I thought that was obvious.

You tried, bless your heart.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cythereal posted:

I will always remember WW for how hilariously bleak and ironic the ending is. Yay, Ares is dead! Everyone's laughing and hugging! The War to End All Wars is over!

...Oh wait, what's that coming twenty years later?

I just use CD's go to defense whenever someone criticizes "300". "It has an unreliable narrator!" See, WW is framed as flashback from Diana's POV. So that ending is how she's choosing to remember it, not how it actually happened. So it can't be criticized.

This also works for Disney's The Lone Ranger.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It especially works for The Lone Ranger because nobody saw it

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

It especially works for The Lone Ranger because nobody saw it

I saw that in the cinema with my parents and it was my mum's favourite movie of the year because she thinks Johnny Depp is "so quirky" (this is also why my parents and many of their friends, as I was very surprised to learn a couple of years ago, love The Big Bang Theory).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
... is it also why Trump won?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fangz posted:

... is it also why Trump won?

Wrong country, though my parents are admittedly the sort of people who would be very embarrassed by Trump but then vote for him anyway because Clinton was too left-wing for them.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
So brexit?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There are other lovely countries out there that aren't the US or the UK

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

No, my parents were both firmly anti-Brexit. Dad, at least, is of the view that we never should have joined but that however bad he thinks the EU is, leaving would be much worse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Samuringa posted:

There are other lovely countries out there that aren't the US or the UK

Hey now, don't talk poo poo about Estonia.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Here in Ontario we elected the bloated rear end in a top hat rich brother of Toronto's crack smoking mayor because people outside the city wanted to stick it to us because we're full of scary brown people.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just saw Into the Spider-Verse, you were right folks, excellent movie. Really impressively done all around, very very cool. "I am a man"

I also noticed anime legend Lex Lang in the credits, that guy has been in everything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hot Take

I've grown to prefer the Man of Steel theme (Hans Zimmer) over the Superman the Motion Picture theme (John Williams).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Hot Take

I've grown to prefer the Man of Steel theme (Hans Zimmer) over the Superman the Motion Picture theme (John Williams).

I like them both, but I still have to give the Williams theme a slight edge. They’re both very well-suited for their respective films.

I still think the absolute best theme for the character in general is Shirley Walker’s Superman: TAS theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm5TFS8sjvc

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I loved the Williams theme. But there's this chunk of the fandom that won't accept anything else and keep trying to hamfist the original theme into every new iteration of the character and it's gotten very old.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Give it time. The Williams theme has been an integral part of the character’s film history for 41 years now, the Zimmer theme is only 6 years old. It’ll be appreciated in time if it continues to be used.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
With Snyder out and Cavill most likely out I'm not holding my breath. Hell Whedon ham-fisted the WIlliams theme into JL. The next iteration of Superman will likely have trunks and return to that theme.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MoS theme live is real good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLP0Sn8XbG4

And yes, it's easily the best superhero theme since forever (WW's theme comes pretty close for me).

[edit] WW's theme live for good measure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZJBBE4TeYk

teagone fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 12, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rhyno posted:

With Snyder out and Cavill most likely out I'm not holding my breath. Hell Whedon ham-fisted the WIlliams theme into JL. The next iteration of Superman will likely have trunks and return to that theme.

Regular Trunks or Future Trunks?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Future hopefully. That sword was badass.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The John Williams Superman theme is, like, it when it comes to superhero themes. It’s the platonic ideal. Comparing anything to it is unfair to the other song.

Of the current superhero movie themes, Silvestri’s Captain America and Avengers, Giacchino’s Doctor Strange and Spider-Man, and Beck’s Ant-Man themes are all stand-outs for me.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I've always loved Elfman's Spider-Man and Shirley Walker's Batman. In both cases they are dealing with characters that are equal parts tragic and heroic, and that combination of sadness and heroism is beautifully combined in both themes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I don't get how the combined talent of Zimmer and Junkie XL produced the least memorable Batman theme ever for BvS.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

For me Shirley Walker’s Superman beats them all.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

X-O posted:

For me Shirley Walker’s Superman beats them all.

I prefer her Batman theme, especially when it gets properly operatic in Mask of the Phantasm.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Elfman's 1990 Flash theme is still pretty legit and I squealed a little when the beats of it were used in Elseworlds.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best version of the John Williams Superman theme.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

John williams theme is iconic, but I think Zimmers version suits MoS perfectly.

Shirley Walkers superman is kinda generic, but her Batman is fantastic, and my favorite version.

Of course, WW theme from BvS blows them all out of the water jesus christ.

However as Whedon demonstrated, you can’t just slap a theme on a scene and think that’ll work.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Phylodox posted:

I prefer her Batman theme, especially when it gets properly operatic in Mask of the Phantasm.

The "operatic" parts are just the director, writers, etc, name sung backwards.

Rhyno posted:

Hot Take

I couldn't even tell you what the Zimmer theme sounds like.

Willow, on the other hand ...

Plus, everyone knows THIS is the best comic book theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81HUn352hZ4

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 12, 2019

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There have been some great themes over the years, but the new WW one is the only one I keep on my regular playlist

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

my favorite superhero theme is unironically ant-man's

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Arist posted:

my favorite superhero theme is unironically ant-man's

It does a fantastic job of synthesizing the movie’s jazzy heist and comic book superhero identities.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Shirley Walker's Nightwing theme is legitimately the best superhero theme.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't get how the combined talent of Zimmer and Junkie XL produced the least memorable Batman theme ever for BvS.

Yeah, this was super disappointing. Was hoping they'd come up with something just as good as the MoS and WW themes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love the WW theme but I don't like it as Wonder Woman's theme. It always came across to me as Doomsday's theme TBH.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

At least we can all agree on the best villain theme

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I think Doctor Octopus’ from Spider-Man 2 and the Vulture’s from Spider-Man: Homecoming deserve honourable mentions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The best superhero there is Ash's from Army of Darkness