Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
i p much use youtube for classical performance nature docs and doomsday econ talks my autorec list is still utter trash lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Phone posted:

I didn't have the patience for it at the time, but I do remember more than a couple of goons being able to buy Macbooks in the early days of Mechanical Turk. Someone wrote a Greasemonkey script to streamline the process and speed things up; however, if you wanted to make the equivalent of ~$20-25/hr you'd have average a positive identification in less than 8 or 9 seconds.

Yeah, I think it was paid better in the beginning, I did it for a few hours total and bought an iPod Shuffle.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
one of our grad students tried to get some turk work going and i yelled at her until she acceded lmao

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think when I used it the first time years ago, Google was offering $0.25/job to confirm address numbers on houses/businesses when they had Street View in beta - that was easy money

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

got any sevens posted:

youtube always just tries to recommend clickbait poo poo i'd never watch so idgi

I looked up a couple of classic Simpsons clips and now The Algorithm has me tagged as the Simpsons 24/7 Guy and that's pretty much all it'll spit at me. Seems a bit overtuned, though I'm absolutely certain that overtuning it must spit out more mindless clicks & revenue.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it would make sense that if their system is trying to get you to watch as much as possible and has no prior knowledge of what you will watch then itll feed you alt right gateway drugs and conspiracy theory poo poo since on the 1% chance it gets you hooked on it the payoff is astronomical since that particular market will watch hours and hours of video and their eyeballs are worth a lot to google since id guess they generally have a lower penetration of adblock and advertisers get higher conversions off them. so identifying one of these whales is more than worth not ever finding the right niche for a hundred other people

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Sorry bud, McSweeney's loving owns.

Are they the ones that made those Wholphin dvds? Because I liked, maybe, half of those.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Shear Modulus posted:

it would make sense that if their system is trying to get you to watch as much as possible and has no prior knowledge of what you will watch then itll feed you alt right gateway drugs and conspiracy theory poo poo since on the 1% chance it gets you hooked on it the payoff is astronomical since that particular market will watch hours and hours of video and their eyeballs are worth a lot to google since id guess they generally have a lower penetration of adblock and advertisers get higher conversions off them. so identifying one of these whales is more than worth not ever finding the right niche for a hundred other people

also uploaders try to optimize their poo poo to get more clicks, and go on one other creators' shows to chase after a bigger audience. in addition to gaming the system in every way they can find.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

mysterious frankie posted:

Are they the ones that made those Wholphin dvds? Because I liked, maybe, half of those.

I think about the crying contest that Stephen Elliot won handily a LOT.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Vox Nihili posted:

I looked up a couple of classic Simpsons clips and now The Algorithm has me tagged as the Simpsons 24/7 Guy and that's pretty much all it'll spit at me. Seems a bit overtuned, though I'm absolutely certain that overtuning it must spit out more mindless clicks & revenue.

Make it stop recommending chill wave at me. Well unless stoned oc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bilirubin posted:

Make it stop recommending chill wave at me. Well unless stoned oc

try putting a bunch of these in your history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QjVeH2Z57E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSm1yFQv6QM

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm the paranoid sort, so I run various tracking blockers and cookie removers and the like. And so it's like I have a whole new identity every time I click through to a youtube video, so I only see recommendations based on that video. It's actually kind of neat.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Powered Descent posted:

I'm the paranoid sort, so I run various tracking blockers and cookie removers and the like. And so it's like I have a whole new identity every time I click through to a youtube video, so I only see recommendations based on that video. It's actually kind of neat.

that sounds nice because almost all of my recommendations are poo poo I've already seen

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

and yet you let the shitposts fly here :thunk:

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

that sounds nice because almost all of my recommendations are poo poo I've already seen

12 ez steps 2 kill ur landlord

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Powered Descent posted:

You're not paranoid enough.

Even if you're incognito/private/etc, they'll use https sessions, capability fingerprints -- your fonts + screen size + browser + ip + etc all combine to a unique fingerprint, there's no escape

idk i think the only real solution is to have a noisemaker.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

hackbunny posted:

I once got my nose broken on Monday, fixed on Friday and I was out of the hospital by Saturday morning. For free, including ambulance, x-rays, general anesthesia, three meals, a night's stay and a follow-up visit. Before learning about American healthcare, I had never even considered them billable items. Even private care here is one or two orders of magnitude cheaper

Same here but the food is terrible.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

Even if you're incognito/private/etc, they'll use https sessions, capability fingerprints -- your fonts + screen size + browser + ip + etc all combine to a unique fingerprint, there's no escape

One of those clappy hand things you get at sport events?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

no like, some kind of device that sits on your network and makes noise (follows random links with random browsers at random human-like intervals, etc etc) so as to make your browsing data even more worthless

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Water777 posted:

Same here but the food is terrible.

I followed my girlfriend's suggestion to pack a big rear end sandwich

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Food Boner posted:

i p much use youtube for classical performance nature docs and doomsday econ talks my autorec list is still utter trash lol

i was listening to union folk and got dixie land

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

no like, some kind of device that sits on your network and makes noise (follows random links with random browsers at random human-like intervals, etc etc) so as to make your browsing data even more worthless

But only you would know that browser data is worthless?

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
https://twitter.com/sbl1976/status/1084023230577418240?s=19

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/business/status/894922691098148865

:hmmyes:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Necrothatcher posted:

But only you would know that browser data is worthless?

everyone knows that our browsing data doesnt have any monetary valueirl. ad metrics are 100% made up.

that doesnt mean that it doesnt have political or social value though. poisining the well is a moral imperative. if you have a facebook, click like on "weird" things, join "strange" groups. if your have a youtube, play random videos.

i want to automate that poison. i want to remove myself from the equation, but still have access to a circle of friends

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

mike bloomberg long on guillotines

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

everyone knows that our browsing data doesnt have any monetary valueirl. ad metrics are 100% made up.

that doesnt mean that it doesnt have political or social value though. poisining the well is a moral imperative. if you have a facebook, click like on "weird" things, join "strange" groups. if your have a youtube, play random videos.

i want to automate that poison. i want to remove myself from the equation, but still have access to a circle of friends

I think that technique would mostly just trigger a closer analysis rather than subtly hide you. You’ll stand out like a sore thumb unless you’re mimicking real behavior. If you want to hide in plain sight make your entire online presence a Finsta.

As far as ruining their data, it doesn’t matter if it is ruined since the analysis is garbage anyway.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Trabisnikof posted:

I think that technique would mostly just trigger a closer analysis rather than subtly hide you. You’ll stand out like a sore thumb unless you’re mimicking real behavior. If you want to hide in plain sight make your entire online presence a Finsta.

As far as ruining their data, it doesn’t matter if it is ruined since the analysis is garbage anyway.

I'm not sure it can get much worse than "clearly c-cspam poster KarlaMarxette wants to see some feminists get owned."

I mean, except at the ultimate purpose, which I assume is to convince venture capitalists and pension boards that this is in fact the case.

Hodgepodge has issued a correction as of 17:33 on Jan 12, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

That's quite a takeaway. :stare:

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Food Boner posted:

It’s really amazing, I’ll watch some innocuous video like PBS Spacetime and the autoplay suggestions are all BLOOD AND SOIL, The Case for Race Science, Jordan Peterson cucks SJW to Death.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Watch one episode of Half in the Bag and your recs will be all "Here's how SJWs are ruining Star Wars!" for the next couple of weeks.

Anything history related also brings up nazi stuff. Anything video game related also brings up nazi stuff. A goddamn beer review channel brings up nazi stuff. Gosh how strange :thunk:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
literally pull up a single song on a youtube with no cookies or trackers stored and the next in the playlist is "BEN SHEPIRO FUCKIN OWNS A LIBERAL" it's loving incredible

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Krankenstyle posted:

Eh, between NoScript, a user-agent spoofer (changed up now and then), first-party isolation, automatic cookie deletion and occasional manual cache clearing, a canvas-fingerprint spoofer, and a good VPN (endpoint changed now and then when I feel like it), I doubt I could fool the FBI but at least it's hard for lovely Youtube recommendations to follow me around.

Every now and then I'll discover something new leaking out. I learned about canvas fingerprinting when my cell phone company's webpage kept greeting me with a cheerful "Hi, [firstname]!" despite all my usual tricks.

You've got me on the screen size thing, though. It's me, I'm the guy running 1920x1080.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Peanut President posted:

literally pull up a single song on a youtube with no cookies or trackers stored and the next in the playlist is "BEN SHEPIRO FUCKIN OWNS A LIBERAL" it's loving incredible

It's really not. Its a semi automated system designed to let people pay for views and clicks and whatever and the new fascist movement is pumping lots of money into exposure and normalization

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Powered Descent posted:

Eh, between NoScript, a user-agent spoofer (changed up now and then), first-party isolation, automatic cookie deletion and occasional manual cache clearing, a canvas-fingerprint spoofer, and a good VPN (endpoint changed now and then when I feel like it), I doubt I could fool the FBI but at least it's hard for lovely Youtube recommendations to follow me around.

Every now and then I'll discover something new leaking out. I learned about canvas fingerprinting when my cell phone company's webpage kept greeting me with a cheerful "Hi, [firstname]!" despite all my usual tricks.

You've got me on the screen size thing, though. It's me, I'm the guy running 1920x1080.

Yeah sorry, all that stuff is useless. Test yourself here: https://panopticlick.eff.org/

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

It's ironic that the people who are free from "the matrix" of reality are the ones most trapped by the advertising machine

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I think about the crying contest that Stephen Elliot won handily a LOT.

My single highest life goal to this day is to find David Byrne in a storage unit because of that series.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 213 days!

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's ironic that the people who are free from "the matrix" of reality are the ones most trapped by the advertising machine

The "Matrix" was always just ideology, dressed up with style (which is a way of saying articulate ideology).

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
and yet we still think theres such a thing as free speech lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

Krankenstyle posted:

At one point I read about an extension that randomly clicks on banner ads in the background to mess with the stats. It would only really work if a large amount of people used the extension though.