Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I'd say by looking at the hotzones a 0-75 leveling guide for phinny is

Tutorial
Paludal caverns - Start on the east side with the weird bugs and poo poo and move to the bandit camps early teens. Maybe a bit later depending on class i.e. casters
Crypt of Dalnir at 22-24. PC exp is amazing till 24 then goes to total garbage
Dulaks Harbor low 30's
Velks at 40-42. Start with spiders, move to dogs then go into the castle. Easy stay to 55 and I suspect to 60. If castle is camped at 55, just go to the hole and level there till 60 and swap to AA
Hole - Get loads of AA on the undead ghosts deep in. The deep may even be an option too for some classes.
Plane of Fire at 60 to 67-68. Fight in either castle. The furthest castle is the best as you hit around 63-65.
Paw till 75 then swap to AA's and get everything.

gently caress knows after that.

If you go to any of these zones and your merc is shredding stuff, check your exp. If you are getting 2% a kill, that's great. I'm pretty sure exp is capped on how much you get anyway at higher levels.

Dulak, Velks and Paw will net you a lot of gems to vendor to keep defiant armor upgraded. PoF and Hole aren't that bad either.

Make sure to bank as much AA as possible at 60 and 75 after you have bought all the good stuff and want to carry on leveling. Very very important. I think it's twice (?) your level you can bank i.e. 60 can bank 120.

Tai fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
I don’t understand. If Omen’s AAs are currently autogranted why would you grind and spend aas on anything earlier than Darkhollow as you level?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tai posted:

I'd say by looking at the hotzones a 0-75 leveling guide for phinny is

Tutorial
Paludal caverns - Start on the east side with the weird bugs and poo poo and move to the bandit camps early teens. Maybe a bit later depending on class i.e. casters
Crypt of Dalnir at 22-24. PC exp is amazing till 24 then goes to total garbage
Dulaks Harbor low 30's
Velks at 40-42. Start with spiders, move to dogs then go into the castle. Easy stay to 55 and I suspect to 60. If castle is camped at 55, just go to the hole and level there till 60 and swap to AA
Hole - Get loads of AA on the undead ghosts deep in. The deep may even be an option too for some classes.
Plane of Fire at 60 to 67-68. Fight in either castle. The furthest castle is the best as you hit around 63-65.
Paw till 75 then swap to AA's and get everything.

gently caress knows after that.

If you go to any of these zones and your merc is shredding stuff, check your exp. If you are getting 2% a kill, that's great. I'm pretty sure exp is capped on how much you get anyway at higher levels.

Dulak, Velks and Paw will net you a lot of gems to vendor to keep defiant armor upgraded. PoF and Hole aren't that bad either.

Make sure to bank as much AA as possible at 60 and 75 after you have bought all the good stuff and want to carry on leveling. Very very important. I think it's twice (?) your level you can bank i.e. 60 can bank 120.

Thanks for the guide!

Also I somehow have 13,000 station cash... probably from playing SOE games for almost 20 years. What should I spend it on (if anything)? I got the milk and cookies thing... even though I right clicked to eat them and watched my stats not change. What else?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Probably the 40 slot bag. Experience pots?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A Mount, 40 Slot Bags, experience potions. Maybe illusions if you like them.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
The best stat mount, some 40 slotters and don't forget the trade skill item bag. Well worth having one of those. I wouldn't bother with exp pots yet. Just a heads up, they don't stack with lessons.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay cool. How should I be spending my Merc's AAs? Should I save them for something or just dump it into health as it becomes available?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I would find out first if merc AA crosses over to another merc. You will drop your tank merc for a healer merc at 75-80.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Tai posted:

I would find out first if merc AA crosses over to another merc. You will drop your tank merc for a healer merc at 75-80.

They're labeled in the AA window as to which merc they buff. "General" affects all mercs.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
And there's your answer. Just get general merc AA's.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Tai posted:

I think it's twice (?) your level you can bank i.e. 60 can bank 120.

Correct

Eccles posted:

I don’t understand. If Omen’s AAs are currently autogranted why would you grind and spend aas on anything earlier than Darkhollow as you level?

AAs span more levels than just the expansion they were introduced in. So sure, you'll get a bunch auto-granted, but there will still be more ranks of various poo poo that's available at lower levels that is not auto-granted.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
So can someone explain what does auto grant provide vs the stuff you need to bank aa for? Thats what i am confused about. Auto grant just gives you a certain percent of the available aas for a given level?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Doctor Party posted:

So can someone explain what does auto grant provide vs the stuff you need to bank aa for? Thats what i am confused about. Auto grant just gives you a certain percent of the available aas for a given level?

Autogrant gives all AAs for your level that are older than 4 expansions and not labeled as "tradeskill." Most of the time, the level to purchase a given rank of AA corresponds to the max level of the expansion that introduced it, but not always. For example, if the current xpac adds a new AA line with initial ranks available to levels below the cap, autogrant will not give them to you until the expansion is older than the 4 most recent expansions. However, you can spend earned AA points to get them as soon as you meet the level requirements. So what people are saying to do is get a level, get your autogrant, see what's left that can be purchased and grind AA to cap out.

There's also a bonus to aaxp if you're below a certain amount (1000 AA, iirc). Autogrant effectively eliminates this bonus because it will give you way more than 1000. So some close to forego autogrant and grind AA while they have the bonus. Then spend the points on things not covered by autogrant just before turning it on.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What’s the deal with Berserker? The throwing axe stuff is confusing because it almost seems like flavor rather than being useful.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

iddqd posted:

What’s the deal with Berserker? The throwing axe stuff is confusing because it almost seems like flavor rather than being useful.

At low levels it's a whatever gimmick, until you get volley line and the stuff that builds on that. Volley is a huge boost to berserker deeps and crits a lot being very satisfying.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Krycek posted:

There's also a bonus to aaxp if you're below a certain amount (1000 AA, iirc).

Yeah, and talk about a feature that hasn't kept up with the times. Starting with SoD, every expansion basically has at least 1000 AAs in it and up (for Bard, it's like 1k-2k until the last 2 expansions, which were 13k and 7k lol, but that also includes tradeskills which I'm totally ignoring for now).

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Yeah, and talk about a feature that hasn't kept up with the times. Starting with SoD, every expansion basically has at least 1000 AAs in it and up (for Bard, it's like 1k-2k until the last 2 expansions, which were 13k and 7k lol, but that also includes tradeskills which I'm totally ignoring for now).

I know that's still a lot but I was watching a video of a guy's setup and he was getting like 1 AA per kill without lesson.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Yea there's a lot of AA but getting AA gets a lot easier when tasks and poo poo start coming in.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah it obviously scales up with the Kunark revamp...everything costs like 20 AA per 1 tier lol. But I'm expecting it to not make super big jumps in exp before those.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda burned out on just straight leveling at the moment. Got to level 48 before it happened! I need some other goals. What are some good rings and earrings I can work towards for SK? Everything in the bazaar is expensive or terrible for jewelry. I have no earrings at all except for looted no-stat earrings.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

iddqd posted:

I'm kinda burned out on just straight leveling at the moment. Got to level 48 before it happened! I need some other goals. What are some good rings and earrings I can work towards for SK? Everything in the bazaar is expensive or terrible for jewelry. I have no earrings at all except for looted no-stat earrings.

I can send you one that doesn't suck awfully bad, what's your IG name on the SK. Ears and neck tend to be hard to find good upgrades.

Keep in mind that once you're in 50s you're exping in areas that drop gems for cash which will help significantly.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gepgepgep posted:

I can send you one that doesn't suck awfully bad, what's your IG name on the SK. Ears and neck tend to be hard to find good upgrades.

Keep in mind that once you're in 50s you're exping in areas that drop gems for cash which will help significantly.

Name is Tumben. I’m working on a quest in Goru’kar Mesa that seems to give a pretty good neck piece according to Alla.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
Another nice things about Mercs is that they tend to ignore levels when you put a DS on em.

My enchanter's feedback DS was doing 40+ when a mob smacks your tank merc.

I recently started a mage and the DS when she got hit was good for 9 non-melee, 44 on the merc.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone on Phinny able to invite to your guild? It's lonely with only General chat.

iddqd posted:

Name is Tumben. I’m working on a quest in Goru’kar Mesa that seems to give a pretty good neck piece according to Alla.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Anyone on Phinny interested in doing OMM poo poo together on a set schedule? There's the daily group runs, then the 2 raids that I've been told is just a 2 day cooldown and can be cheesed with 1 group.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

xZAOx posted:

Anyone on Phinny interested in doing OMM poo poo together on a set schedule? There's the daily group runs, then the 2 raids that I've been told is just a 2 day cooldown and can be cheesed with 1 group.

is OMM still worth running when you are on SoD?
Edit: also gently caress the traffic this thread has been getting I'm starting to feel that drat itch and I don't want it!

Krazuel fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 13, 2019

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Krazuel posted:

I'm starting to feel that drat itch and I don't want it!

Do it. :unsmigghh:

A couple things I've realized:

-You can control when/what your tank merc attacks with the Assist and Passive modes on the merc control panel. I went 51 levels before realizing this and it always made pulling very calculated.

-You can Bind Wound while sitting/medding.

-Some expansions have harder hitting mobs with higher HP at the same level. This is why sometimes its good to stay in Velks or whatever for longer instead of going to a PoP or TSS expansion zone (for example).

-Clickies don't have to be at the root level of your inventory! They can be in a bag!

- "/hidecorpse all" is a godsend when you have 15 giant spiders with No Drop/No Lore items sitting on them and it's getting hard to see, or in a confined dungeon.

-It's good to pay attention to aggro balance with your merc because you still need to raise your defensive skills. As an SK, I wait until a mob is at 40% then I start taunting and letting it beat on me, so at level 53 so far all my defense stats, taunt, disarm, etc are all maxed.

-Try not to buy too many upgrades. Set a price limit of 50-100pp and if any gear is higher than that just don't buy it. Between drops, the daily hotzone quest, quests in general, and cheap <100pp gear at the baz, you'll just do fine leveling.

-DO sell your extra defiant and trade skill whatnots in the baz when you're not playing to wrack up thousands of plat, then put it in the bank only keeping on you what you need for merc upkeep.

Well anyway, as a returning player I just thought some of these tidbits could be useful so I posted them. Welp see ya.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 13, 2019

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Krazuel posted:

is OMM still worth running when you are on SoD?

Well, OMM just came out with SOD. There's T3 (or slightly better than T3 gear), so like Korafax or Korafax+ level (except you can't get the upgrade-able T3 vis pieces). Tower gear is better sure, but this is free gear (no DKP, no Loot Council), much faster to farm. Plus good AA (15/hour) from the group missions once you get 'em down.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
It's funny what we sometimes take for granted, not realizing others might now know it. I still learn some useful modifier+click things even this far into EQ's life.

Like:

-Some combination AUTO SEARCHES FOR THAT ITEM IN THE BAZAAR AND HOLY poo poo IT'S SO GOOD. I think it's ctrl+shift+(left or right) click? I do it from muscle memory, not sure off hand.

-Put bag on cursor, then some combo (ctrl+left click maybe?) on another bag and it'll transfer the contents of that bag to the target one, until it's full.

-You can sell all items in a bag by clicking the bag at a vendor. It won't sell a bag unless it's empty. It'll tell you how much you'll get for everything so you know you're doing it correctly. No trade items won't be sold. Because of this, I find it best to put my biggest bags first, then I put all my "poo poo I carry around" in my last bags. As I get loot, I move stuff out of my first bags if I need to keep it (quest items, trades, things I want to put on Bazaar, etc), so at the end of the night I can just quickly sell all my vendor poo poo without having to think about or root around.

-Super classic but maybe someone doesn't know: when clicking stacks, I think it's ctrl+click gets one of the stack (works for buying too, maybe selling?), and shift+click gets the max for a stack (works for buying / selling too).

Some notes for you down here:

iddqd posted:

-You can control when/what your tank merc attacks with the Assist and Passive modes on the merc control panel. I went 51 levels before realizing this and it always made pulling very calculated.

Also, if your merc is on Passive for the whole 15 minutes, you won't get charged. And if you use a rogue merc, put that bitch on Burn always.

iddqd posted:

-You can Bind Wound while sitting/medding.

..really? Lol. Although I don't know if you need to with fast ooc regen these days. I guess it can speed it up, esp if you can stay sitting. But usually I Fade and use that time to piss or something hehe.

iddqd posted:

-Some expansions have harder hitting mobs with higher HP at the same level. This is why sometimes its good to stay in Velks or whatever for longer instead of going to a PoP or TSS expansion zone (for example).

Yep! That's why the "stop and grind AA" spots are Hole and Paw - both classic zones that got a revamp, but comparatively still have low HP mobs. I'm not sure of the math these days, but for a while on Phinny we used to always find Light Blue mobs to grind up for exp, as it proved the most exp/hour. Find the oldest zone with a ton of uncontested LB mobs and grind.

iddqd posted:

-Clickies don't have to be at the root level of your inventory! They can be in a bag!

This was originally locked to some expansion, but we managed to get them to change it. Soooo nice.

iddqd posted:

- "/hidecorpse all" is a godsend when you have 15 giant spiders with No Drop/No Lore items sitting on them and it's getting hard to see, or in a confined dungeon.

/hidecorpse looted is also super useful when you're looking for that rot in a pile. Make sure to /hidecorpse none before starting the dig :)

iddqd posted:

-It's good to pay attention to aggro balance with your merc because you still need to raise your defensive skills. As an SK, I wait until a mob is at 40% then I start taunting and letting it beat on me, so at level 53 so far all my defense stats, taunt, disarm, etc are all maxed.

You can also pop a healer on balanced, and try to find something that they can keep you alive through while it beats on you (I think the mob has to be light blue, maybe green will work, for you to get skillups). Once you find it, if you have the pp / Bayle marks, go AFK. Do this somewhere in the middle of loving nowhere in a zone noone cares about or even goes to. Ideally do it while you're near the computer, use GINA to launch an audio trigger when someone sends you a tell, so you can respond if a GM pops in on you.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 13, 2019

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

xZAOx posted:

It's funny what we sometimes take for granted, not realizing others might now know it. I still learn some useful modifier+click things even this far into EQ's life.

Like:

Rad!

This is a rant out of the blue, but I don't know why someone would play a human character when you're a human in real life. It's just not interesting! Where else but games like this can you be a drat gnome or troll.

E: Is there a way to turn off camera shake when mounted?

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 13, 2019

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
1) They want characters to kinda look like them
2) Humans look good in plate
3) Gnomes are a trash race.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
My first character and main was a gnome rogue that I put all my points into dex. I was hosed till Velious.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
The only good human class is monk but Iksar are superior in every way, also humans are blind as gently caress.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

My first character back in 2000 was a human paladin. It was night in-game when i logged in. I couldnt see anything, fell in some water and drowned. Unistalled the game for about six months.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
2 more tips:

-You can put temp items on your cursor. They'll be there when you log back in.

-Go super pro and Shroud when you camp. Keeps all your temp items.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Hoohah posted:

The group missions themselves aren't hard, but the goal is to do them fast. If you can do them with super high speed, you can get them done within an hour, pick up 15 AAs and 15% xp, and your brews. You can only select one of each class, but since efficiency is not what you care about, pick casters and just blow poo poo up. You only need 3 people to do a group mission.

Now that SoD is out and I got some first-hand experience with it - how? 15AAs would mean the 3 groups and 2 raids...no way all that can be done in an hour, lol. Unless you mean doing the raids with a full crew. We've been cheesing them with a group.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

Now that SoD is out and I got some first-hand experience with it - how? 15AAs would mean the 3 groups and 2 raids...no way all that can be done in an hour, lol. Unless you mean doing the raids with a full crew. We've been cheesing them with a group.

I meant the group missions only. Mistake on the extra 6%/6 AA

I think my records at the moment are 17 minute Sol B, 19 minute C Guk, and like 10 minute L Guk. Something always goes wrong usually.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

xZAOx posted:

-You can sell all items in a bag by clicking the bag at a vendor. It won't sell a bag unless it's empty. It'll tell you how much you'll get for everything so you know you're doing it correctly. No trade items won't be sold. Because of this, I find it best to put my biggest bags first, then I put all my "poo poo I carry around" in my last bags. As I get loot, I move stuff out of my first bags if I need to keep it (quest items, trades, things I want to put on Bazaar, etc), so at the end of the night I can just quickly sell all my vendor poo poo without having to think about or root around.

If you use stat food, be sure that food is in the top slot. I've been caught several times eating tradeskill items that I wanted for making poo poo.

xZAOx posted:

You can also pop a healer on balanced, and try to find something that they can keep you alive through while it beats on you (I think the mob has to be light blue, maybe green will work, for you to get skillups). Once you find it, if you have the pp / Bayle marks, go AFK. Do this somewhere in the middle of loving nowhere in a zone noone cares about or even goes to. Ideally do it while you're near the computer, use GINA to launch an audio trigger when someone sends you a tell, so you can respond if a GM pops in on you.

Dual any pet class and let it's pet hit you. You can fight back to increase weapon skills. Use a healer merc and afk. I usually do this in nexus. No mobs, no risk, gm will never care, etc.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Krycek posted:

Dual any pet class and let it's pet hit you. You can fight back to increase weapon skills. Use a healer merc and afk. I usually do this in nexus. No mobs, no risk, gm will never care, etc.

Yeah but involves finding other people willing to AFK over night for you. Gross, human interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

xZAOx posted:

Yeah but involves finding other people willing to AFK over night for you. Gross, human interaction.

Yeah, I forget people still play this game with just a single account.