Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

PT6A posted:

George Carlin had a bit about how, when dealing with people individually, he was willing to call them whatever they preferred to be called. And in the same bit, he says:

While it's safe to say that he's used some unapologetically un-PC language, I think he was "woke" enough even before our Extremely Online world that he could at least be reasoned with, even if some people would criticize him for what he said.

That’s good to know. Do you know how I can find it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
The media is your boomer relatives. Even the ones on the left aren’t nearly left enough.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Super-Id posted:

The media is your boomer relatives. Even the ones on the left aren’t nearly left enough.

Even my conservative boomer relatives don't act nearly as smug as your average media dork.

The NYT crossword puzzle editor acting like not printing an ethnic slur was beneath them because "well no one they knew would use it" even after being told that it was a slur was some peak smug journalist.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Radish posted:

This whole affair is pretty indicative that it's not just Fox News that is trash. NBC clearly wanted the chud dollars they thought they could get by hiring a racist rear end in a top hat after Trump got elected and suddenly open racism was profitable again. They spent an absurd and unprecedented amount of money just to throw it away after doing no real vetting. Now CBS is hiring Flake who is known entirely for being a loser that pretended to stand up to Trump until he became a living joke pretty much no one of any ideology respects. CNN has a stable of assholes that lie all day. Then you get into the NYT normalizing every nazi they can find and the WAPO going HAM on a junior representative because she thinks that maybe this whole late stage capitalism thing might have some negative consequences we should look into solving. The media is so comically bad it's really impressive that they have to gall to be constantly acting like they are some noble force.

Not that I disagree, but isn't Megyn (lol, I think one of my friends in middle school spelled her name that way to be edgy) considered an enemy by chuds because she has blood coming out of her whatever?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Radish posted:

Even my conservative boomer relatives don't act nearly as smug as your average media dork.

That’s true, the media is also up its own rear end.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

it was The Daily Star, so even less reputable on the British tabloid scale than the Daily Heil

Ah thanks, I knew it was one of them!

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

USPOL Winter: No one in the White House but me and I

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ripoff posted:

He’s do okay considering that all his meals are apparently cooked to the consistency of shoe leather and he could probably just turn a burner on and set the steak directly on it for 25 minutes. Slather in ketchup and it’s Donnie Delicious.

Melania is hosed though.

God, I hope so but I have a bad feeling this is going to extend on until the beginning of February. That said, it’d be really good for the House and Senate if his popularity takes a nose-dive right when Mueller releases his findings as it might give them the excuse necessary to go after Donnie hard.

The real fun is that after his tantrum the House investigations will start turning up ways he's used the government to enrich himself.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

Not that I disagree, but isn't Megyn (lol, I think one of my friends in middle school spelled her name that way to be edgy) considered an enemy by chuds because she has blood coming out of her whatever?

I think that was part of the problem for NBC. Megyn's tiny defections from Trump was enough to make her persona non grata with the chuds but she was still Fox News trash. So when she left that bubble she couldn't function in a place where she couldn't be openly racist without some push back combined were her absolute lack of any real journalistic skills. It was a recipe for disaster. The obvious plan from the NBC executives was that now that racism was cool again (because Trump won and idiots couldn't understand that the electoral college isn't a representation of the country as a whole even in the slightest) she could just complain about Black Santa and the ratings would skyrocket.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

empty whippet box posted:

Because ascribing selfish, back stabbing motivations to a Republican is almost never wrong, it's just a matter of figuring out who they're hurting and what they're getting out of it.

like i could see him playing up his horribleness to try to get close to trump so he can play the hero when he stabs him in the back.

Doctor Butts posted:

USPOL Winter: No one in the White House but me and I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5hXtGkzZ9k

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If the shutdown goes into March the economy will collapse and the knives will truly come out, maybe literally. But there’s very little chance it gets to that point.

i think we might go into February at this point because i honestly believe even after he declares national emergency, he still wont open the government because he is spiteful.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's pretty clear if the Democrats idiotically agree to some sort of wall he's going to use that to ask for more and keep stuff shut down. Even bad negotiators like Schumer have realized he's basically playing the bad mom in the Solomon fable of the two mothers and willing to kill the baby if it means no one wins.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
If ya give a mouse a cookie.....

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I’m convinced that Trump is scared to use the National Emergency card because a part of him realizes that if he does the congressional Republicans will no longer cover for him and will expect him to sign a bill to reopen government, which he doesn’t want to do because he can’t be seen losing. Winning for him has morphed from just being singularly obsessed about getting money for The Wall by any means to also desperately needing to win the staredown in Congress. So by holding back on declaring a National Emergency while begging the Dems to come negotiate he’s basically buying time looking for an out that doesn’t exist. Why else wouldn’t he just declare an Emergency and explore all the avenues of grifting money from the DoD until the courts stop him if he was still only concerned about The Wall? He obviously has no moral qualms about it and is too dumb and shortsighted to see how bad of a PR move it would be. The only explanation is that he feels that “winning” by declaring a National Emergency and getting his money that way would rightly be seen as a desperate and weak move by everyone outside his most ardent supporters even if it gets him The Wall.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 12, 2019

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m convinced that Trump is scared to use the National Emergency card because a part of him realizes that if he does the congressional Republicans will no longer cover for him and will expect him to sign a bill to reopen government, which he doesn’t want to do because he can’t be seen losing. So by holding back on declaring a National Emergency while begging the Dems to come negotiate he’s basically buying time looking for an out that doesn’t exist.

More than likely he's enjoying the "will he won't he" drama. Making a decision removes that as an option.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

More than likely he's enjoying the "will he won't he" drama. Making a decision removes that as an option.

A basic reading of his behavior shows that’s there’s no chance he’s enjoying any of this. He’s loving miserable.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

citybeatnik posted:

He's constantly teasing whats coming after the commercial break.

STAY TUNED EVERYONE!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A basic reading of his behavior shows that’s there’s no chance he’s enjoying any of this. He’s loving miserable.

I hope he's wearing his golf clothes and gazing forlornly out the window. Also loving up the floor with his cleats whenever he gets up to poop.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dirty shrimp money posted:

What exactly is going to compel anyone to act, other than enough Republicans in the Senate getting sick of the shutdown and overriding a Trump veto of whatever legislation? Are we just going to wait for January 21, 2021 and hope Democrats have veto-proof majority in both houses? Or are we just gonna wait until the basic legitimacy of the Union is questioned like it's the year 1819?

It won't last until 2021. At some point between then and now, no one knows exactly when but probably closer to now than then, we will start sustaining unrepairable damage. Government employees will walk away in too large numbers to just ignore by rescheduling the ones who remain. Industries dependent on government action (there are way more of these than republicans like to admit) will shut down. Welfare programs will stop giving out money and the recipients will stop spending it. There will be some kind of major widespread disaster that cannot be rationalized away as anything except a direct result of the shutdown. Everyone, throughout the entire country, poor and rich alike, will start hurting, a lot. No one knows what will happen then but this is the sort of thing that topples regimes and it's not very far off. It's likely that enough republicans will blink to override Mitch before he's dragged into the street and beaten to death by a mob of unpaid air traffic controllers but not a certainty.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 12, 2019

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

It won't last until 2021. At some point between then and now, no one knows exactly when but probably closer to now than then, we will start sustaining unrepairable damage. Government employees will walk away in too large numbers to just ignore by rescheduling the ones who remain. Industries dependent on government action (there are way more of these than republicans like to admit) will shut down. Welfare programs will stop giving out money and the recipients will stop spending it. There will be some kind of major widespread disaster that cannot be rationalized away as anything except a direct result of the shutdown. Everyone, throughout the entire country, poor and rich alike, will start hurting, a lot. No one knows what will happen then but this is the sort of thing that topples regimes and it's not very far off. It's likely that enough republicans will blink to override Mitch before he's dragged into the street and beaten to death by a mob of unpaid air traffic controllers but not a certainty.

Those ATC folks are loving brutal and they will stab some intransigent pols in the liver.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m convinced that Trump is scared to use the National Emergency card because a part of him realizes that if he does the congressional Republicans will no longer cover for him and will expect him to sign a bill to reopen government, which he doesn’t want to do because he can’t be seen losing. Winning for him has morphed from just being singularly obsessed about getting money for The Wall by any means to also desperately needing to win the staredown in Congress. So by holding back on declaring a National Emergency while begging the Dems to come negotiate he’s basically buying time looking for an out that doesn’t exist. Why else wouldn’t he just declare an Emergency and explore all the avenues of grifting money from the DoD until the courts stop him if he was still only concerned about The Wall? He obviously has no moral qualms about it and is too dumb and shortsighted to see how bad of a PR move it would be. The only explanation is that he feels that “winning” by declaring a National Emergency and getting his money that way would rightly be seen as a desperate and weak move by everyone outside his most ardent supporters even if it gets him The Wall.

To a degree it may simply be the White House Counsel and DoD begging him for a little time to figure out how to do the emergency thing in a way that remotely works. I don't think the Republican leadership is going to (publicly) voice any qualms about an emergency declaration especially once FoxNews starts blasting the narrative that Trump has cut the Gordian knot and bested the Democrats, Graham has already fallen into line. No one expects Trump is just going to back down and sign a clean CR at this point.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

DynamicSloth posted:

To a degree it may simply be the White House Counsel and DoD begging him for a little time to figure out how to do the emergency thing in a way that remotely works. I don't think the Republican leadership is going to (publicly) voice any qualms about an emergency declaration especially once FoxNews starts blasting the narrative that Trump has cut the Gordian knot and bested the Democrats, Graham has already fallen into line. No one expects Trump is just going to back down and sign a clean CR at this point.

Noted patient legal genius. Donald Trump

Caros
May 14, 2008

haveblue posted:

Yeah, a government shutdown isn't an instant game over like failing to raise the debt ceiling, but there is no way it can go on for more than a couple of months at the absolute worst.

You can keep essential employees working for a month because they miss a paycheck and they are desperate but can survive. Missing two means a sizable number of them can't eat, or pay rent.

As soon as that poo poo happens, they start leaving in decent numbers and the whole thing comes to a head. A shutdown is theoretical for most people, outside of closed parks and the like. The second this starts hitting airports or food stamps is the point it is no longer tenable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AND LO PAN AND SUPER MAN AND EVERY SINGLE POWER RANGER

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah a lot of people don’t seem to fully grasp the scale of damage that a long term government shutdown would cause. We’re not talking about an economic downturn where ultimately only the middle class and poor get stung while the rich get by fine just weathering it out. We’re talking the collapse of the institutional pillars that prop up all big business, finance, and industry both public and private. Everything and everyone everywhere gets hosed. Many of the very facets of modern society itself cannot continue to function on autopilot for much longer. It won’t be an overnight “on/off switch” but it’ll be what happens over the course of months not years.

NO ONE wants this except Trump and internet accelerationists. Not the poor, middle class, big business, or the most greedy Wall Street fatcats.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 12, 2019

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

haveblue posted:

Every day between today and this day will be filled with additional headlines about the Democrats in the House passing measure after measure to fund every possible appropriation while Trump and McConnell stall. Bookend those with the increasingly dire NYT A1's like "President Trump, Suspected Russian Agent, Continues to Dismantle the US Government."

This doesn't end well for the GOP unless Trump has a rage stroke and get's Wilsoned.

e:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah a lot of people don’t seem to fully grasp the scale of damage that a long term government shutdown would cause. We’re not talking about an economic downturn where ultimately only the middle class and poor get stung while the rich get by fine just weathering it out. We’re talking the collapse of the institutional pillars that prop up all big business, finance, and industry both public and private. Everything and everyone everywhere gets hosed. Many of the very facets of modern society itself cannot continue to function on autopilot for much longer. It won’t be an overnight “on/off switch” but it’ll be what happens over the course of months not years.
The TSA can break this, but they're trying very hard to be professional and not stage the mass walkout that would cripple air travel. I went through a checkpoint yesterday and they were plainly vocal about how close to breaking they are.

ZobarStyl fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 12, 2019

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Caros posted:

Yeah, a government shutdown isn't an instant game over like failing to raise the debt ceiling, but there is no way it can go on for more than a couple of months at the absolute worst.

You can keep essential employees working for a month because they miss a paycheck and they are desperate but can survive. Missing two means a sizable number of them can't eat, or pay rent.

As soon as that poo poo happens, they start leaving in decent numbers and the whole thing comes to a head. A shutdown is theoretical for most people, outside of closed parks and the like. The second this starts hitting airports or food stamps is the point it is no longer tenable.

Flight cancellations today in the US are roughly double the typical rate.

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/today

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Steve King will probably run for President.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Jealous Cow posted:

Flight cancellations today in the US are roughly double the typical rate.

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/today

To be fair the midwest is getting piled with snow, so not sure it is all ATC issues.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

exploded mummy posted:

i'm hearing they interviewed Rikishi instead

"The quotes were by me, Rikishi. I did...I did it for the Rock."

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

What are the screening requirements for TSA agents anyway? I assume they have a clearance of some sort and those can take months to muddle through. How fast can they spin up new hires if TSA folks start leaving?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If the shutdown goes into March the economy will collapse and the knives will truly come out, maybe literally. But there’s very little chance it gets to that point.
Let's play "contextualizing numbers into the US Economy," the hot new game from Mattel!

If the shutdown continues long enough that the furloughed employees* count as unemployed during the January time period, this would be enough to completely reverse the expected gains in job numbers. This shutdown is putting enough people out of work to reverse course of the entire US job market. This would break the 99-month** long streak of continuous job growth in the US, the longest growth streak in US history. The direct result of the shutdown is enough to cause the US economy to hit a key indicator for a recession, all by itself.

McDonald's hires roughly as many people in the US annually equal to the number of people being currently out of work^. In other words, the Golden Arches could staff themselves entirely for the coming year just on people without work from this shutdown. Guess all those teenagers who expected to get a summer job are just poo poo out of luck, huh?

800,000 people out of work by itself would be massively disruptive to the US economy alone, but that's before you take into account the effect of everything those workers do that won't get done or the knock-on effects of that many people suddenly being effectively unemployed. A shutdown that lasts beyond February is signaling that the US government has broken down completely and that we're living in a failed state.

*I don't feel like googling the exact bit of methodology but I'm pretty sure essential workers aren't counted as unemployed
**I don't feel like googling whether January would be month 99, 100, or 101.
^McDonald's hires an average of 1 million US workers annually as of 2015, and the 800,000 workers doesn't include contractors as far as I can tell.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
E: Never mind, misread

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Steve King will probably run for President.

Steve King came alarmingly close to losing his deep red hellhole of a congressional district these past midterms.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It was posted way earlier in the thread but I can fully see Manchin stepping down to run for governor again. He had way better coverage and people gave a poo poo about him. Also everyone hates Justice, the current governor, so if he ran again he'd likely win. Manchin winning would also mean he would appoint his successor, who would serve out the remaining 4 years.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Unoriginal Name posted:

Noted patient legal genius. Donald Trump
If Trump was remotely tactical he'd never mention "emergency" before having the complete legal framework ready, but whether or not he knows it he can't declare an emergency and steal already appropriated funds without such a framework in place. I'm much less certain than most in this thread that Trump won't actually somewhat get away with it with the right lawyering and the complicity of a conservative judiciary.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

citybeatnik posted:

What are the screening requirements for TSA agents anyway? I assume they have a clearance of some sort and those can take months to muddle through. How fast can they spin up new hires if TSA folks start leaving?

It's a weird middle ground between "Mall Cop" and "Federal Agent". I once tried out for it and failed. IIRC, there's a lot of testing involving spatial recognition (since you'll be looking at X-ray machines, trying to play "where's waldo" for guns and explosives) and customer service, especially dealing with irate customers. My background is squeaky clean so I failed once too often on those tests. It makes me wonder about some of the stories of TSA agents, because that poo poo was fairly rigorous but I'm guessing it's a case of retesting and retraining.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The latest Opening Arguments has a great breakdown of the technical parts of the shutdown and how essential/non-essential personnel and activities actually works.

Hint: most of the poo poo the administration has labeled “essential” to avoid the worst optics do not actually qualify under the law as essential.

https://overcast.fm/+HG-U1y1Ns

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ZobarStyl posted:

Every day between today and this day will be filled with additional headlines about the Democrats in the House passing measure after measure to fund every possible appropriation while Trump and McConnell stall. Bookend those with the increasingly dire NYT A1's like "President Trump, Suspected Russian Agent, Continues to Dismantle the US Government."

This doesn't end well for the GOP unless Trump has a rage stroke and get's Wilsoned.

e:

The TSA can break this, but they're trying very hard to be professional and not stage the mass walkout that would cripple air travel. I went through a checkpoint yesterday and they were plainly vocal about how close to breaking they are.

I just hope that Pelosi doesn't gently caress it up and cave. She can't, or else it will all happen again the next time Trump wants something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
The only silver lining from these manic tweets this morning are that they reveal Trump is as absolutely loving miserable as he deserves to be.