Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

latinotwink1997 posted:

But...why? Who buys these for the “nostalgia”? I don’t get any other reason to use such old technology.

I tossed my Radeon 9800 pro a few years back and it seems like it may or may not be worth $80-500.

people like to have fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cygni posted:

people like to have fun

hosed up if true

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

latinotwink1997 posted:

But...why? Who buys these for the “nostalgia”? I don’t get any other reason to use such old technology.

I tossed my Radeon 9800 pro a few years back and it seems like it may or may not be worth $80-500.

Messing with old computers is fun and a voodoo 2 hits that spot of being a super weird setup as well. If you get two of them in sli they still require a 2D card so you end up with 3 video card setup unlike anything you could do nowadays.
There are plenty of youtube channels dedicated to the hobby LGR and PhilsComputerLab being the most notable.

One fun fact with voodoo 2 SLI is that with a powerful enough CPU you get near perfect performance scaling.
Phil worked his rear end of and produced probably the most expansive benchmark project I have yet seen: 875 benchmark results

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

TheCoach posted:

LGR and PhilsComputerLab being the most notable.

For some reason I have been binge watching these lately and I don't even own any vintage computer stuff.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh, Tom's. What's happened to you

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

EdEddnEddy posted:

There are some things that are actually a lot harder to do on modern PC's than booting up the retro comp it was designed to run on.

Mechwarrior 2 / Mercenaries for example. Can't get past the drat installer on anything newer than my old P3 933 which is my first rig I built in 2000 and I still have today.
Interestingly enough, Mechwarrior 2/Mercenaries can actually be run on a modern PC thanks to the virtual machines from mech2.org. I also figured out how to get starsiege working on a modern system, but you have to use a retail disk as the free copy released on the Tribes site won't work. There's also a progress-breaking Cybrid mission bug to deal with. Some old stuff still doesn't work, or only works in software mode like X Wing vs The Fighter, but most games can be made to work at least with VMs. Pretty much the major cut off I've seen is anything that was relying on DirectX 6, and then good luck unless using contemporary hardware/software. Alternatively if it was popular enough Gog probably picked it up.

Edit: Tom's hardware has always been terrible

future ghost fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 10, 2019

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

They’re ready to just buy it

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Truga posted:

i unironically can't wait ti run factorio at 100hz on 4k

the belts are gonna be rolling soooo smooth :v:

I thought it's capped to 60 FPS because that's the framerate the animations were made at?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

future ghost posted:

Interestingly enough, Mechwarrior 2/Mercenaries can actually be run on a modern PC thanks to the virtual machines from mech2.org. I also figured out how to get starsiege working on a modern system, but you have to use a retail disk as the free copy released on the Tribes site won't work. There's also a progress-breaking Cybrid mission bug to deal with. Some old stuff still doesn't work, or only works in software mode like X Wing vs The Fighter, but most games can be made to work at least with VMs. Pretty much the major cut off I've seen is anything that was relying on DirectX 6, and then good luck unless using contemporary hardware/software. Alternatively if it was popular enough Gog probably picked it up.

Edit: Tom's hardware has always been terrible

I will have to look into that.

I have an old Dos version of Mech 2 that getting it to work fully has been hard even on OG old hardware (It was a picky bastard about Soundcards and whatnot. Needs like an ISA SB16 vs a PCI SB16 Ugh.)

And I have Mech 2 Mercs That came with my HP Pavilion way back that was some special version that actually looked really good, and the Titanium version that was 50/50.

Mercs from the HP version + Voodoo Banshee though looked and played great on the original hardware.

Its the install that is the hard part. Getting it to get past that stupid buggy PC Check part was always a crapshoot even on the original HP hardware lol.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dosbox hasn't been updated in a long time, but http://dosbox-x.com/ took over and is great for running old games.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

latinotwink1997 posted:

There are nerds that build the best glide-based DOS/Win98 machines they can. Partly because it's legit hard to get some of those games running on modern hardware, mostly because they're nerds.

I wouldn't do that personally but I'm also sitting next to a desk that's mainly there to hold up a giant full tower with a custom water cooling loop that I semi-lovingly put together myself, so I'm not going to throw stones. There are people who restore old radios, too. Hobbies are stupid, it's fine.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's also true that wearing a pair of headphones using a 360 pad on an LCD running far better than it ever did on original hardware is not going to give you the exact experience you had when you were younger, sitting in front of a CRT with a pair of speakers next to it - or the experience you dreamed of with the hardware you wanted but couldn't quite get. It's the same reason people want cars or anything else that date back to their youth.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EdEddnEddy posted:

There are some things that are actually a lot harder to do on modern PC's than booting up the retro comp it was designed to run on.

Mechwarrior 2 / Mercenaries for example. Can't get past the drat installer on anything newer than my old P3 933 which is my first rig I built in 2000 and I still have today.

Windows 95/98 era games seem to be the biggest problem in my experience. Almost everything from the DOS era can be emulated reasonably well at this point, as can Windows 1.x-3.x, and most titles designed for 2000/XP or later tend to be workable with compatibility modes, but so many of my 9x era games are unable to detect a graphics accelerator on anything newer than XP. Sometimes they have a software mode, but often times it's significantly lower quality and/or is artificially limited to extremely low resolutions, but far too many just fall over and die immediately.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xaintrailles posted:

I thought it's capped to 60 FPS because that's the framerate the animations were made at?

I think it is, yeah. I'm just saying I mostly play games that get absolutely nothing from a higher refresh rate.

Higher resolution on the other hand, oh yes.

wolrah posted:

Windows 95/98 era games seem to be the biggest problem in my experience.
the correct thing to do here is install linux and get the correct version of wine downloaded by one of the wine management options like playonlinux.

latest wine versions only suport down to windows xp correctly, but older versions go all the way back to windows 1.0 IIRC.

Truga fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 11, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.thestreet.com/video/amd-cto-14830482

quote:

"What we do over the course of the year is what we do every year.

....frankenstein the shambling corpse of GCN for yet another goddamn respin?

quote:

We'll round out the whole roadmap," [AMD CTO Mark] Papermaster said about AMD's 2019 plans for its 7nm GPU lineup. "We're really excited to start on the high-end....you'll see the announcements over the course of the year as we round out our Radeon roadmap."

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Digital Foundry took a look at what it takes to get a solid 60 with DXR and a 1060, and ran into an interesting bottleneck - and potentially a big one going forward for future titles that employ DXR.

Granted this could be an issue with BFV and might be ironed out in the next patch, but they found a big performance boost was to drop texture quality down from Ultra to High. Basically at this point with the games code, the 6GB of VRAM - even at just 1080p - is being maxxed out/overflowed on Ultra textures with DXR. It's one game of course, but this was a concern of mine from the get-go, considering there are a few games even without DXR where 6GB can be cutting it very close if you want to run in high res with max texture details.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Yup because there isn't enough evidence already that running games at max is a questionable (read: dumb) idea

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Just lol if you aren't tryharding BFV with all settings at low just I don't even

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Can't wait to accumulate the hardware needed to play around with DXR.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Can't wait to accumulate the hardware needed to play around with DXR.
Me too. 20 years from now, like some nerds do now with Glide hardware. Maybe use the Threadripper I plan on buying next year for era authenticity.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Laslow posted:

Me too. 20 years from now, like some nerds do now with Glide hardware. Maybe use the Threadripper I plan on buying next year for era authenticity.

I'm guessing it'll take me a month or two. Gotta wait until I'm done with the moving expenses.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well ok the bright side, outside of the memory limitation the 2060 seems to still offer pretty good performance for the current buck. :/

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well ok the bright side, outside of the memory limitation the 2060 seems to still offer pretty good performance for the current buck. :/
And it’s just inexpensive enough to keep pressure on the top of the used market.

The Radeon VII’s margins must suck. It’s 50 bucks away from being a hit and I find it hard to believe that AMD wouldn’t have gone for it if they actually could. Unless the yields are so low that they’ll sell out with lukewarm demand anyway, which is a much worse problem.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Just to add, Vega VII apparently only has 64 ROPs, not 128.

RIP the ROPs:

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/283649-the-amd-radeon-viis-core-configuration-has-been-misreported

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Well that’s actually fine, since it raises so many fewer questions.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://www.thestreet.com/video/amd-cto-14830482

....frankenstein the shambling corpse of GCN for yet another goddamn respin?

Is that really the GPUs they're talking about? There must be some tremendous problems with the next architecture if they're sticking with this one right?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Palladium posted:

Yup because there isn't enough evidence already that running games at max is a questionable (read: dumb) idea

Texture resolution makes a huge difference; it's pretty obvious the 2060 doesn't have enough VRAM.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Yeah texture res is not a superfluous setting in most games

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lambert posted:

Texture resolution makes a huge difference; it's pretty obvious the 2060 doesn't have enough VRAM.

Yeah, 6GB to replace an 8GB card was a real dick move.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Is that really the GPUs they're talking about? There must be some tremendous problems with the next architecture if they're sticking with this one right?
Per that excitable Scottish fellow Navi needs a respin, a relatively consistent aspect of chip design. Everyone in silicon has tremendous problems because we're having to figure out how physics works when tungsten becomes too small to function properly. Hitting 7 nm in a consumer grade card is still a milestone, I just hope they sell another integrated liquid solution.

Laslow posted:

And it’s just inexpensive enough to keep pressure on the top of the used market.

The Radeon VII’s margins must suck. It’s 50 bucks away from being a hit and I find it hard to believe that AMD wouldn’t have gone for it if they actually could. Unless the yields are so low that they’ll sell out with lukewarm demand anyway, which is a much worse problem.
This is the low yield product - they slice 4 compute units off their enterprise accelerator chips that can't cut it as an MI60. AMD can anchor the production cost on a low volume, massive cost enterprise card they sell in sets of 2 and 4, then make MI50's and their sister Radeon VII's with the imperfections. As for the price itself, they aren't going to undercut themselves by admitting via a lowered MSRP that they don't believe it stacks against the 2080. Besides, no one sells cheaper than they have to after the mining price fiasco.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

ZobarStyl posted:

Everyone in silicon has tremendous problems because we're having to figure out how physics works

Do you work in chip fabbing?

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Do you work in chip fabbing?
Sorry, I meant the collective human effort to create increasingly tinier semiconductors that have started acting, super super weird and redefining what we know about physical constraints. I'm a molecular biologist, I have a rather bottom-up perspective on this.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The Direct3D team put their gigantic collection of 30+ years of GPU's up on the walls in their office. Pretty cool stuff.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Huh, very interesting. I never knew about Microsoft Talisman.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Huh, very interesting. I never knew about Microsoft Talisman.

I love the idea, but MS doesn't have enough cash to do a better display than printer paper held up with push pins?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It's some internal office fun they got up to one day, you expectant goon.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I keep wondering how much of the failure of Moore's law has to do with a failure to continue increasing the number of Phds in order to tackle problems that only get more complex as progress is made. Also if research funding has increased proportionately.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I keep wondering how much of the failure of Moore's law has to do with a failure to continue increasing the number of Phds in order to tackle problems that only get more complex as progress is made. Also if research funding has increased proportionately.

'Moore's law' was just an observation, not some ironclad thing.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

ZobarStyl posted:

Sorry, I meant the collective human effort to create increasingly tinier semiconductors that have started acting, super super weird and redefining what we know about physical constraints. I'm a molecular biologist, I have a rather bottom-up perspective on this.

Wonder if any goons do? A thread by them would be fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

taqueso posted:

'Moore's law' was just an observation, not some ironclad thing.

Give the rate of change some other name or none at all if you like, it's sad to watch it falter like this. Doubt that's all down to physics, all things considered.