Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Endorph posted:

the story's really easy to follow honestly and its also really good

Compendium posted:

Actual story is not that hard to follow and probably one of the things that distinguishes it from any other waifu generating gacha.
I'm sorry, I mean I can't tell you what the story is because I just gave up on the games themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Brought To You By posted:

I'm sorry, I mean I can't tell you what the story is because I just gave up on the games themselves.

The big theme of part 1 ended up being that life is worth it even if it has no inherent meaning and everyone dies eventually.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Reiche posted:

Was your source EGScans? They have chapters 1-131 on their site

Ah poo poo yeah I should have been linking these usogui scans that explains a lot

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Stop talking about whatever and start talking about new March Comes in Like a Lion.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Compendium posted:

Gods versus humankind story seems fun in an over dramatic way but now I'm just thinking of Kratos wiping the floor with them

Gods vs humanity is great because it looks like its going to be the most outlandish bits of Baki and Kengan Ashura and co. and is going to be amazing for it.

Just all the excesses of insane fightman tournament manga.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

HMS Beagle posted:

Stop talking about whatever and start talking about new March Comes in Like a Lion.

Finally

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
FGO is the only mobage I bother with because while there is a lot of horseshit wrt its gacha and general grind, it does have a genuinely engrossing story (eventually). It's certainly one I'd recommend to any fan of the original VN.

HMS Beagle posted:

Oh hell yeah.

E: lol

Holy crap, they brought back a bunch of characters from Honey & Clover! Huuuuuuuuuuuh....

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 10, 2019

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Story about treating a female knight got a new chapter. Still funny, still no forward progress.

Also found another series called 'The Bones of an Invisible Person about a young girl who discovers she has the ability to become invisible. Years later she uses this power to Kill her abusive father in the streets So yeah, not sure where this is going but that's a hell of an opening act.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Sometimes a family is a dad, a madam, and a bunch of courtesans.

Powerful Maomao.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I don't think the madam is really much of a family situation

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I don't either, but they're Maomao's words.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The courtesans fussing and teasing her over Jinshi is adorable tho

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that dude definitely isn't a eunuch but i have no idea how that would work.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

He's probably the Emperor's brother or at least that's what the last couple chapters seem to be hinting at. Can't really cut your brother's nuts off.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
it would be cooler if he was a eunuch. We 👏 need 👏 more 👏 castrated 👏 male romantic leads 👏

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What do you all think of the Trigun manga? I've been buying it volume by volume when I have the money because, like most people my age, I grew up with the anime on AS back in the day and I liked it a lot. But I always heard from people online that the anime severely watered down the manga's plot and characterization.

Right now I have the two volumes of Trigun and the first three volumes of Maximum.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I remember, overall, thinking the manga was better for a variety of reasons (a lot of the anime is original, and their take on some of the Gung-Ho Guns were a lot less interesting IMO) but my enduring memory of it is also that it is almost indecipherable during any of the action sequences.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Guyver posted:

He's probably the Emperor's brother or at least that's what the last couple chapters seem to be hinting at. Can't really cut your brother's nuts off.

If you go back to near the beginning, it mentions offhand that the only men who can enter the harem area are eunuchs and family of the Emperor.

Nate RFB posted:

it is almost indecipherable during any of the action sequences.

100% this.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I remember Maximum having an incredibly badass finale in theory that was nearly impossible to follow

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

New Otoyo is more powerful than all that have come before it

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

NikkolasKing posted:

What do you all think of the Trigun manga? I've been buying it volume by volume when I have the money because, like most people my age, I grew up with the anime on AS back in the day and I liked it a lot. But I always heard from people online that the anime severely watered down the manga's plot and characterization.

Right now I have the two volumes of Trigun and the first three volumes of Maximum.

The manga is a lot longer, more involved, and explains a lot more of what's going on. But also, any time action is happening, it is completely incomprehensible, so personally I still prefer the anime.

Like seriously, I have no trouble following action in any other series, even JoJo, but Trigun is such a mess, so consistently, it's honestly impressive. You just end up staring at the page, trying to untangle the mess of lines and sound effects, but it's just impossible.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There's a reason why the action in Blood Blockade Battlefront is partially a joke.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Hokuto no Gun have started a new series which is a post apocalyptic manga by the guy who did Crows/Worst

https://mangadex.org/chapter/518767/1

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Guyver posted:

I thought we were at secretly his brother, but actually secretly his son based on the end of the last arc. But I might have got some wires crossed.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

No it's entirely possible I missed something. Which is a great excuse to reread it from the beginning.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Guyver posted:

Yeah usually you just kill them instead to eliminate other claimants to the throne.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

HMS Beagle posted:

I thought we were at secretly his brother, but actually secretly his son based on the end of the last arc. But I might have got some wires crossed.

No, I think you're right. Consort Aaduo says that she was chosen to be the current emperor's first partner while he was still the imperial heir.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
Just finished Kasane, since the last volume was recently released in English. It's about the ugly daughter of a famous stage actress, who is given a tube of lipstick by her mother before she died that, when applied, lets her trade faces with whoever she kisses for several hours. She uses this power to take the beauty of other women, to follow her mother's path as an actress herself.

This is one of the best manga I've read in recent years. Intense from the first chapter and just goes deeper and darker from there. It has this theme of identities formed around—and spoken through—performance, playing into the whole atmosphere of theatre, but also being isolated and navigating social dynamics of attractiveness. Nearly every character is so compellingly wretched and awful in how they struggle with perceptions of others/themselves, especially the protagonist who I kept rooting for despite how unforgivable she gets. Recommending this with my whole soul if you're up for something horror-ish but in the Frankenstein sense, a sympathetic and harrowing portrait of vengeful monsters.

Also all the volumes are available on sale digitally for $5 each (except the first, which is one buck) til the 14th. Mentioning this out of the distant desperate hope for Kodansha to release physical volumes, since the covers are gorgeousssss

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Man

This latest business is weird even by Dead Dead's standards

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Flac posted:

Just finished Kasane, since the last volume was recently released in English. It's about the ugly daughter of a famous stage actress, who is given a tube of lipstick by her mother before she died that, when applied, lets her trade faces with whoever she kisses for several hours. She uses this power to take the beauty of other women, to follow her mother's path as an actress herself.

This is one of the best manga I've read in recent years. Intense from the first chapter and just goes deeper and darker from there. It has this theme of identities formed around—and spoken through—performance, playing into the whole atmosphere of theatre, but also being isolated and navigating social dynamics of attractiveness. Nearly every character is so compellingly wretched and awful in how they struggle with perceptions of others/themselves, especially the protagonist who I kept rooting for despite how unforgivable she gets. Recommending this with my whole soul if you're up for something horror-ish but in the Frankenstein sense, a sympathetic and harrowing portrait of vengeful monsters.

Also all the volumes are available on sale digitally for $5 each (except the first, which is one buck) til the 14th. Mentioning this out of the distant desperate hope for Kodansha to release physical volumes, since the covers are gorgeousssss

Kasane is absolutely one of my favorite mangas in the past few years, I love the art, the focus on theatre, the psychological aspects... It's just a nice manga.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Flac posted:

I need to stop reading forums when I can't sleep because I end up spending more money on this poo poo than I do gacha games.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

this is really good.

I can't help but be (ending volume spoilers) both impressed and dismayed by how brutal the author was with the finale. Taking away Kasane's body the moment she accepts it and becomes able to live as herself is the perfect recompense for what she and Kingo did to Neena and her mother, but fuuuuck if it doesn't really hurt to read.

Even with the final page stinger offering some hope for a break in Kasane's isolation, and the fact that Nogiku was able to find a happy life for herself, I'm still left with a deep feeling of melancholia. Which is probably what the author intended, so mad props to her.

I'll definitely be on the lookout for any more works from the author.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Scrree posted:

this is really good.

I can't help but be (ending volume spoilers) both impressed and dismayed by how brutal the author was with the finale. Taking away Kasane's body the moment she accepts it and becomes able to live as herself is the perfect recompense for what she and Kingo did to Neena and her mother, but fuuuuck if it doesn't really hurt to read.

Even with the final page stinger offering some hope for a break in Kasane's isolation, and the fact that Nogiku was able to find a happy life for herself, I'm still left with a deep feeling of melancholia. Which is probably what the author intended, so mad props to her.

I'll definitely be on the lookout for any more works from the author.

I agree about the ending. One nitpick I had with it that I can think of is how Iku's presence faded as the story went into the last handful of chapters. I wanted to see more of her so bad, she's like the only innocent in this story but more importantly, even with her naive compliments towards Kasane and how she inherently disgusts her, you feel like she's tried the hardest to understand her. That part where Iku plays a hurt, raging Dusk that Kasane can unashamedly see herself in gets to me, just thinking about it.

I think this is Daruma Matsuura's debut, which is kind of unbelievable! The only other work of hers I know of is a 3 chapter series that's currently being published, Ima/Uzuko Iku Kohakuiro no Hate, and that's it unfortunately. e: there's also the kasane side story novel, izana, if that counts but i'm not gonna bet on it getting translated ever.

Flac fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 14, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Flac posted:

I agree about the ending. One nitpick I had with it that I can think of is how Iku's presence faded as the story went into the last handful of chapters. I wanted to see more of her so bad, she's like the only innocent in this story but more importantly, even with her naive compliments towards Kasane and how she inherently disgusts her, you feel like she's tried the hardest to understand her. That part where Iku plays a hurt, raging Dusk that Kasane can unashamedly see herself in gets to me, just thinking about it.

I think this is Daruma Matsuura's debut, which is kind of unbelievable! The only other work of hers I know of is a 3 chapter series that's currently being published, Ima/Uzuko Iku Kohakuiro no Hate, and that's it unfortunately. e: there's also the kasane side story novel, izana, if that counts but i'm not gonna bet on it getting translated ever.

I've found bits and pieces of a summary of the novel here.

I don't think every story absolutely needs to do a follow-up for the other characters and it's mostly a fanservice sort of thing to do to give everyone happy or fitting endings, but aaaaa I want more than what we got.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

Argas posted:

I've found bits and pieces of a summary of the novel here.

I don't think every story absolutely needs to do a follow-up for the other characters and it's mostly a fanservice sort of thing to do to give everyone happy or fitting endings, but aaaaa I want more than what we got.

well it's something at least, thanks for linking that.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
A new chapter of everyone's favorite reverse isekai is out! Elf Can't On A Diet! Looks like another short story arc is already wrapped up. Not much advancement on the meta plot but we got some really good character building for both the Ogre and the Dark Elf.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Latest Saotome Senshu is out. Not a lot to speak of, but I'm a sucker for the teenage romance boxing melodrama. Although if we're being honest, I'm not sure which one Maho is thanks to a hard time keeping track of the side characters.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dawgstar posted:

Latest Saotome Senshu is out. Not a lot to speak of, but I'm a sucker for the teenage romance boxing melodrama. Although if we're being honest, I'm not sure which one Maho is thanks to a hard time keeping track of the side characters.

This is like anti-Teppu, and honestly kinda tame (~20 ch in). Is it really in a seinen magazine?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fellis posted:

This is like anti-Teppu, and honestly kinda tame (~20 ch in). Is it really in a seinen magazine?

It's printed in Big Comic Spirits, which is a seinen magazine. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dawgstar posted:

It's printed in Big Comic Spirits, which is a seinen magazine. :shrug:

Huh, there’s not even any blood in the fights

Must be all the lewd flashes of ripped lady abs and biceps, just too explicit for 14-y/o boys