Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I personally enjoyed spending an hour forming a group just to have 6 people auto-attack random enemies for 5 minutes per, and level up once every couple hours assuming you don't die and lose a level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I said come in! posted:

multiple MMORPGs (Guild Wars 2, Final Fantasy XIV, Elder Scrolls Online) are all bordering around the same number of players as WoW

according to?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't know about concrete numbers but there has been a shitload of new FFXIV players who played WoW and gave up on it. I hazard a guess that, honestly, the MMO market doesn't grow or contract it just shifts from one leader to another.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
GW2 definitely doesn't have that many players these days.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Truga posted:

GW2 definitely doesn't have that many players these days.
For me it was the implementation of megaservers. It was a necessity, certainly: some servers literally had next to not enough players to even do some instanced dungeons or open world content. Whole maps would remain empty, events bugging out for days until a next server maintenance or map reset; and usually the former'd occur before the latter exactly because of the smaller populations never causing new map instances to open up.

But for me, it killed the roleplaying opportunities you would find in the game world. A server dedicated to roleplayers would (usually) attract alike. You would almost always find people in city hubs or open world maps doing their thing, be it levelling, exploration of zones, tackling events for the sake of it, or suddenly find your text screen awash with emotes and local text messages.

Bingo, roleplayers.

Then it was up to you to decide to bust in to join or ruin their fun, depending on your proclivities, or heck, even just watch these dorks play out their dramatized high adventure or acted out explorations.

Post-megaservers, however, these kind of impromptu meetings with these folks are all but gone. All maps will house all players of all servers up to a map's given capacity. This is certainly a good thing! But it killed finding roleplayers in the wild. Add in that this also applies to city hubs, which now means you are just as hard-pressed to find roleplayers in the same map instances together. It killed a lot of the spontaneity that makes a lot of roleplay entertaining or even enjoyable.

Which doubly hurts, because World of Warcraft can and has separated their prime city hubs from the global game's population so you can find yourself in a veritable hub of almost exclusively roleplayers while still benefiting from the merged servers' population boon that megaservers provide in the first place.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Megaservers was the best thing that happened to GW2's population health, yeah.

e: The reason why we even know population seems to be sliding down is that they keep having to figure out ways to have wvw populated. Right now it's still "these less populated servers get matched together with a relatively bigger one" AFAIK, and now they're trying to make it completely unconnected to servers.

Truga fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 14, 2019

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Let’s just make our own MMO

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'll start the wiki

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Ehud posted:

We'll call it Crimson Haze and it will be the best MMO to ever come out.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Ehud posted:

City of Titans is a potential darling, but for as much as I love the idea of a City of Heroes/Villains revival game, CoX had much of the same issues with empty zones that I described above with regards to Guild Wars 2, and it almost wholly being made or broken by its community.

The mixed instances and ease of making groups, however, alleviated much of its mechanical shortcomings just so you could go ahead and clown on (or get clowned on by) enemies together with players running almost every power set combination imaginable. And almost everything could work, or even be viable.

I've seen the exodus from CoX to Champions Online, and both the gameplay execution of CO and the laissez-faire community (next to zero moderation in a fully customizable hero creator that allowed you to make veritable [and oft times utterly illegible] HTML novellas of self-importance or basically being F-list.net profiles [sometimes even with actual F-list.net profiles]) utterly soured me on the latter game.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Ehud posted:

has to be an Oddworld game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ehud posted:

I've worked on one before and gently caress THAT

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Zaphod42 posted:

DCUO is great and underrated IMO. I played city of heroes and it was just a typical wow MMORPG with a superhero skin. So I ignored DCUO for a long time as basically the same thing, but it really felt way better to play.

DCUO to me fundamentally isn't like a straight MMORPG. Its an MMO-beat-em-up. They're pretty similar, but there's something significant about DCUO's design which is fresh and different from all the standard MMO fare. And getting to fly or super-speed at low level and just booking it around the city looking for people to save from danger was a really well handled way of doing zones and questing, felt very original compared to wow/D&D/LOTRO/etc.

Yeah, it really is well-paced and built with a simple-to-learn/difficult-to-master style of gameplay. I miss it sometimes, but I just got burned out with grinding for skillpoints and seeing them tie lootboxes into it. :negative:

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
I think Pantheon and Camelot Unchained might turn out to be good if niche games.

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

Tentatively excited for both of those.
Never have done Kickstarters, though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ARK Lost is apparently a very good MMORPG that is getting a western release this year. So I am looking forward to that game.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

I said come in! posted:

ARK Lost is apparently a very good MMORPG that is getting a western release this year. So I am looking forward to that game.

Ah, that is good news! Everyone's been drooling over this game for years already!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I said come in! posted:

Uh, korean game that signed contract with mail.ru? And why is it a good MMO?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
It's a very pretty game with high production values since they've spent almost US$100 million developing it, in a vacuum it could be okay, but they're going to be recouping that money somehow.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Licarn posted:

It's a very pretty game with high production values since they've spent almost US$100 million developing it, in a vacuum it could be okay, but they're going to be recouping that money somehow.

The devs are kinda forced into bringing it to the U.S. since currently China's government is not approving any new games to be released in their country.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Kak posted:

I think Pantheon and Camelot Unchained might turn out to be good if niche games.

they are both hotbar / hotkey / press 1 to attack MMOs and they will bomb horrifically. No one wants to play this poo poo anymore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Glenn Quebec posted:

they are both hotbar / hotkey / press 1 to attack MMOs and they will bomb horrifically. No one wants to play this poo poo anymore.

Their crowdfunding success says otherwise, but whether or not they can draw in people outside of their niche fanbase remains to be seen. Pantheon is intentionally being balanced based on 1999 Everquest. Grouping after level 5 or so will be required, making this the most inaccessible MMORPG released in 15+ years.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Dwesa posted:

Uh, korean game that signed contract with mail.ru? And why is it a good MMO?

I haven’t found many details but a lot of arpg players haven’t been getting excited for it. It plays well according to them and has some really amazing set pieces as well as (to me) looking really good in basically every visual aspect from level design and ambiance to animation.

The big questions are monetization (it’s supposed to be free to play with microtransactions) and pacing/longevity of an mmo with arpg style combat; haven’t seen anyone with answers to this. But it still looks fairly exciting.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ugato posted:

I haven’t found many details but a lot of arpg players haven’t been getting excited for it. It plays well according to them and has some really amazing set pieces as well as (to me) looking really good in basically every visual aspect from level design and ambiance to animation.

The big questions are monetization (it’s supposed to be free to play with microtransactions) and pacing/longevity of an mmo with arpg style combat; haven’t seen anyone with answers to this. But it still looks fairly exciting.

This is a good review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVbdFKT4iQU I watched this yesterday and it is what sold me on wanting to play once it came out in America.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

gimmie player housing like star wars galaxies, ability swapping like matrix online and grouping mechanics of city of heroes

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Arrrthritis posted:

We'll call it Crimson Haze and it will be the best MMO to ever come out.

Hold on to your butts.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

So, I finally found a MMO without hotkey garbage called Gloria Victis on Steam. It has mixed reviews but the most recent are mostly positive. I think I'll take the plunge since its only 20 bux.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I said come in! posted:

This is a good review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVbdFKT4iQU I watched this yesterday and it is what sold me on wanting to play once it came out in America.

That looks like it could be fun but that art style is just soooo painfully Korean, at least for the PCs.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

So, I finally found a MMO without hotkey garbage called Gloria Victis on Steam. It has mixed reviews but the most recent are mostly positive. I think I'll take the plunge since its only 20 bux.

How did this work out for you, I've looked at GV many times but always moved on because of the poor reviews

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Frog Act posted:

How did this work out for you, I've looked at GV many times but always moved on because of the poor reviews

I've played it on and off since before steam. When i played last year it was extremely janky but they had made some really great improvements. The PVP is actually pretty fun, and the RvR creates a lot of fun dynamics with other players. It reminds me a whole lot of the Mount and Blade persistant servers, so if you played or enjoyed that i would recommend it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Frog Act posted:

I mean, as Jim said, its Jank as poo poo. But the core gameplay loop is fun. The RvR feels like a real-time DaOC without magic. I'm having a lot of fun. I inadvertently picked the underdog faction and getting my poo poo smashed every castle or fight on the field kind of stinks.

I'd recommend it for 20 bux. Goons have played worse.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

Dinictus posted:

City of Titans is a potential darling, but for as much as I love the idea of a City of Heroes/Villains revival game, CoX had much of the same issues with empty zones that I described above with regards to Guild Wars 2, and it almost wholly being made or broken by its community.

The mixed instances and ease of making groups, however, alleviated much of its mechanical shortcomings just so you could go ahead and clown on (or get clowned on by) enemies together with players running almost every power set combination imaginable. And almost everything could work, or even be viable.

I've seen the exodus from CoX to Champions Online, and both the gameplay execution of CO and the laissez-faire community (next to zero moderation in a fully customizable hero creator that allowed you to make veritable [and oft times utterly illegible] HTML novellas of self-importance or basically being F-list.net profiles [sometimes even with actual F-list.net profiles]) utterly soured me on the latter game.

I used to play champions for a while now until eventually leaving. really a lot of the character bios i've seen ranged from okay to cringe worthy bait. Now the idea of a superhero mmo would be cool, but I do agree that it might run into same issues as GW2 (which and tried and grew bored of) and CoH (which also didn't care about).

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

I mean, as Jim said, its Jank as poo poo. But the core gameplay loop is fun. The RvR feels like a real-time DaOC without magic. I'm having a lot of fun. I inadvertently picked the underdog faction and getting my poo poo smashed every castle or fight on the field kind of stinks.

I'd recommend it for 20 bux. Goons have played worse.

Which one is the underdog faction now?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Sangmar/Azeb empire is getting crushed. Every castle defense is like 50 howling Norsemen or Western European knights crashing through the gates.

It's not even a population thing. The most dominant guild just stinks and gets steamrolled on the regs.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

Sangmar/Azeb empire is getting crushed. Every castle defense is like 50 howling Norsemen or Western European knights crashing through the gates.

It's not even a population thing. The most dominant guild just stinks and gets steamrolled on the regs.

That sucks! I was kind of interested in checking them out. Their main city looks way more polished than the others.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Try it out Jim. I'd play the game with you. Not that I'm any good. I'll make a discord when I get home if you're down.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think the problem with MMOs is because the people who play them have brainworms, like me. The brain worms come in different varieties though. I like my MMOs to just give me fun fights to do with lots of people and the ability to play dress up or something. My friend I got into an argument with about PVP as a concept thinks that Tibia was the height of MMO PVP goodness. His case is terminal, you see.

MMO devs have to cater to both him and me and it's a losing proposition.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
mmo devs trying to cater to literally everyone is dumb though.

adding fun things to do that aren't all the same is one thing, but adding an entire eve online gameplay loop into ff14 wouldn't really help because people who want to shoot idiots in the face play eve online and aren't going to grind a bunch of levels to do it in a different game, that's probably not nearly as good in that niche.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Glagha posted:

My friend I got into an argument with about PVP as a concept thinks that Tibia was the height of MMO PVP goodness. His case is terminal, you see.

I played so much Tibia back in the day. But its main selling point, it's global PvP system, was both its greatest asset and what stopped me from enjoying it.

It's exhilarating to know, that there are bad, and even good, players waiting around every tree for you to show up. It's also crippling any sense of progress, when getting punked by someone way out of your league means losing maybe a week's worth of grinding.

And there are way more bigger than smaller fish out there, and God help you, if you're not a liked person in the server's dominant guild.

Thankfully, they've ruined the game by introducing levelling prohibiting mechanics and a real money store, that teleports healing potions to you at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

Try it out Jim. I'd play the game with you. Not that I'm any good. I'll make a discord when I get home if you're down.

Unfortunately my fiancee and I got super locked in to conan exiles recently. I'd love to check it out again, and might have some time this weekend though. PM me the discord info regardless.