Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Rotten Red Rod posted:

All of these minigames are better than the Catfights from Y0. What's with Japan's obsession with rock-paper-scissors? At least MesuKing from YK1 had the collection aspect and the absurdity of the main audience for the game being children.

Also Pocket Circuit from Y0/YK1 could have been SO much better. I wish they let you control the acceleration like real slot cars instead of just having the (mostly pointless) boost meter and the power to psychically will the cars to not fall off the track. And while I can usually forgive Yakuza's content reuse, they seriously just copy-pasted the entire thing into YK1 from Y0.

At least the plotline is peak Yakuza. Pocket Fighter is the greatest character.

The real toys that Pocket Circuit is based on were just like in the game. You build it and put it into the track, and it goes at top speed and either goes off the track or doesn’t. All you really control is the build. Yakuza 0 and Kiwami actually give you more control than the real ones, since you have the boost and recovery control!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, I kinda figured that out... But I kinda wish it was slot cars instead :P

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
They're pretty fun to build

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh wow, it is actually pretty cool. "Mini 4WD" huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JMRYT3TBB4

I also notice a distinct lack of kids in any videos showing it off. It looks way too advanced for kids.

Also apparently there's a European version called Scalextric where you actually CAN control the car's speed? I think they could have put the mechanic in the game, they already put control mechanics in that don't actually exist anyway.

Edit: Scalextric is just high-end slot cars, nevermind.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

screaden posted:

They're pretty fun to build

I still have one of the Record Breakers models that were released here by Hebron under license from Takara back in the day. I got the top model, which had selectable 4wd and two speed settings, and could use either the standard 2 AA batteries and a dummy, or three batteries for higher speeds.

Sadly, I never got to use it on a track.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh wow, it is actually pretty cool. "Mini 4WD" huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JMRYT3TBB4

I also notice a distinct lack of kids in any videos showing it off. It looks way too advanced for kids.

Oh hey that’s near my house. Tamiya is out there every month or two for those events.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
holy poo poo lol don't know why i'm surprised at how accurate pocket circuit turned out to be.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Vikar Jerome posted:

holy poo poo lol don't know why i'm surprised at how accurate pocket circuit turned out to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zCBeUj3TpQ

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

holy poo poo

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

This is life changing

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
What are we looking at here

isk
Oct 3, 2007

screaden posted:

What are we looking at here

It's a commercial for a gym in Japan that's also a progression minigame in Yakuza 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbc48sapg0

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s licensed, I’m not sure why people are so surprised Japanese devs made extremely accurate content based on licensed materials.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Hey, I take my joy any way I can. Celebrate the cool poo poo!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

harperdc posted:

It’s licensed, I’m not sure why people are so surprised Japanese devs made extremely accurate content based on licensed materials.

It's the kind of poo poo where if you didn't know any better, you'd think it was something they made up for the game because it's exactly that absurd. That's why people are reacting, mr. android.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

isk posted:

It's a commercial for a gym in Japan that's also a progression minigame in Yakuza 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTbc48sapg0

It's even funnier when it's regular ripped Kiryu evolving into Super Ripped Kiryu

Also my wife and I finally started Kiwami 2 and holy gently caress the intro for the hostess club minigame is the funniest loving poo poo in the world. Kiryu's delivery or lack there of is just loving perfect.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Remasters when

Whennnnn

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ALFbrot posted:

Remasters when

Whennnnn

This

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

harperdc posted:

You know when you put it that way

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's the kind of poo poo where if you didn't know any better, you'd think it was something they made up for the game because it's exactly that absurd. That's why people are reacting, mr. android.

I guess it's less of a surprise since I've seen the ads for four-five years by now.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I picked up Kiwami 2 last, mostly because it was going off of sale, and then was kinda feeling bad about because I'm about to be really busy again, maybe this purchase was a bit foolish, but I was instantly charmed by holding hands with Haruka in the graveyard and by the time Kiryu threw a guy into a piano and was mean mugging at Ryuji, I remembered that these are some of the coolest games ever made.

The Yakzua 6 engine is just blowing my mind, standing first person in a fake Lawson and listening to the ambient noise is delightful. I watched all of that three hour Tim Rogers Judge Eyes stream and god that game's gonna kick rear end

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What I miss the absolute most was the booze plugs where they do detailed descriptions of all of them.

I wish they did that with the food too. Bring back product placement!!!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm glad the food critic from 5 exceeded his lifetime allotment of shrieking ooiiiishhiiiiiiiii and simply fell over dead

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh my god the Kiwami 2 Hostess Club Grand Prix loving heel turn halfway in... you bastard. You loving bastard!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Taintrunner posted:

Oh my god the Kiwami 2 Hostess Club Grand Prix loving heel turn halfway in... you bastard. You loving bastard!

I literally yelled at my tv when I got to that

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

harperdc posted:

I’m not sure why people are so surprised Japanese devs made extremely accurate content based on licensed materials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBzeba_J2N8

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Steve Yun posted:

I literally yelled at my tv when I got to that

Same. Same! I cannot get over just how well this franchise plays on its history.

Hipster Rooster
Feb 7, 2012

I only eat organic grain

I love how both in 0 and K2 I can open a club with only a single hostess (to let other rest), leave the room to set the kettle on, and come back to see that even though few people who entered the club didnt get serve, and left angry. And yet I still got 160 new fans?!

So far I have two problems with Kiwami 2. First is the fact that the color of the long health bar at the bottom is completely arbitrary? Some enemies with only a yellow bar have more hp, then others who have purple health bar, at least according to my observation. The other is the fact that while characters clearly say Kazuma Kiryu, subtitles say Kiryu Kazuma, and so on. Every character have their name & surname flipped versus what the voice actors say. I know it was the same in all yakuzas, but still it just really bugs me.

Also, can anyone tell me, what is written on Black Thunder outfits? Is it some poetry, advertisment or what?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I mean, that's a translation staple. In Japanese speech people will always say Lastname Firstname, but when translated it would of course read Firstname Lastname in English. Not sure what there is to be upset about. :shrug:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's so commonly understood, particularly among the kind of people playing Yakuza games, that there's no reason to do it anymore and I'm not going to stand for it in 2019

Hipster Rooster
Feb 7, 2012

I only eat organic grain

See, I get that in Japan there is a different name order, no problem there. Just my eyes see A B, ears hear B A, and brain goes "wha?". I'd much more prefer if they stuck to Lastname Firstname in subtitles.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Listen guys, our niche is no longer "that small", especially since the port to PC and the release of 0 and how much it blew up that "the kind of people who buy these games" just got massively expanded. And complaining about something that trivial be something to get upset about is definitely more exhausting than it would be having a bunch of people thinking Kiryu's name is Kazuma.

Remember when this thread was upset that we may not even see Yakuza 5 in the west? :allears:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

kiryu's name is Judgement Kazzy

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Caitlin posted:

Listen guys, our niche is no longer "that small", especially since the port to PC and the release of 0 and how much it blew up that "the kind of people who buy these games" just got massively expanded. And complaining about something that trivial be something to get upset about is definitely more exhausting than it would be having a bunch of people thinking Kiryu's name is Kazuma.

Remember when this thread was upset that we may not even see Yakuza 5 in the west? :allears:

I remember being upset like that about 3 and 4. It’s been a wild ride.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh my god why is there so loving many of these goddamn bouncer missions.

Also now I have like 3 gear items that together give me 270 attack stat, which straight up breaks the graph.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Taintrunner posted:

Oh my god why is there so loving many of these goddamn bouncer missions.

Also now I have like 3 gear items that together give me 270 attack stat, which straight up breaks the graph.

you're gonna need em for those later bouncer missions.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I was doing pretty good until the first Amon mission. Whelp lol

And I'm only on Chapter 5!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
unlocking the club cabaret Again gave me a nervous tic....is it as critical to see this through to the end if I already did in 0? I'm trying to get 2 done before Judge Eyes this summer and I'm actually into the absurd crime narrative in 2

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I have yet to play YK2 but everyone keeps telling me the cabaret club questline in that game has some amazing moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Expect My Mom posted:

unlocking the club cabaret Again gave me a nervous tic....is it as critical to see this through to the end if I already did in 0? I'm trying to get 2 done before Judge Eyes this summer and I'm actually into the absurd crime narrative in 2

I don't think it's as required, but from what I saw of spoilers, the entire final sequence is worth. Like, from setup to battle to outro.