Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

mmm11105 posted:

once the touristing wears thin I'll be right back where I started, only down one great job offer.

I'm assuming you're relatively young? At the end of the day, it boils down to this. In 5 years, it'll be much harder for you to uproot your life in NYC and move to Tokyo to give things a shot. However, trying to leave Tokyo and come back to the states won't be as challenging. My vote is Tokyo, since you'll be making plenty good money as it is, getting good experience, and gaining once in a life time experience that will be much harder to transition towards once you've stabilized in life. The worst case scenario for Tokyo is still really good, whereas the worst case scenario in NYC is that you'll constantly be wondering what life would had been if you had gone to Tokyo and given that a shot. If you can live with that, well, that's your decision.

Personally I'm a big believer in listening to your gut, as long as your heart and mind feel good about the decision as well. I know that it's pretty arbitrary all things considered, but it's led me well so far in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

The Dark Wind posted:

I'm assuming you're relatively young?

Yeah, fresh out of a 5-yr university program, so 22.

The Dark Wind posted:

Personally I'm a big believer in listening to your gut, as long as your heart and mind feel good about the decision as well. I know that it's pretty arbitrary all things considered, but it's led me well so far in life.

My heart and gut definitely are in on Tokyo, but my anxiety-riddled mind may still need some convincing.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mmm11105 posted:

Yeah, fresh out of a 5-yr university program, so 22.

My heart and gut definitely are in on Tokyo, but my anxiety-riddled mind may still need some convincing.

Also your workplace will have ither expats familiar with your challenges and the processes for navigating housing daily life stuff etc so you wont be completely alone in that regard.

Also get yourself a free haunted vacation home.
https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/japan-free-abandoned-house

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

mmm11105 posted:

The firm with the guaranteed bonus is in fact Jane Street (it becomes more tied to firm perf the longer you work there, first year they guarantee a baseline and only consider your performance above that).

The smaller Tokyo firm bases it's bonuses off a cut of the firm profits after all expenses and salaries, and then divides it as the boss deems fit based on performance. So that one is much more variable of course, based on this years P/L I suspect I may have made slightly more than at Jane Street but it's hard to tell for sure, and impossible to predict.

you're crazy if you pass on jane street as your first job out of school. you can go literally anywhere you want from jane street. no one is gonna give a poo poo about some tokyo boutique they've never heard of

last i checked jane street let you change home offices with very little friction so if you hate new york there's always london or hong kong to try out

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 5, 2019

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

the talent deficit posted:

you're crazy if you pass on jane street as your first job out of school. you can go literally anywhere you want from jane street. no one is gonna give a poo poo about some tokyo boutique they've never heard of

Put me in this camp. I've known a decent amount of people that swear by the plan to get a few years in fintech and then leverage that experience to go do anything else, anywhere else. A known company always looks great on a resume, and it doesn't have to be FAANG necessarily. Just don't lose your soul in that environment.

edit: A few of those people gently caress off to places like Tokyo for fun for a week or two when they're bored now.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 5, 2019

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
Goon! Choose Jane Street!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Is this going to be another goon in a well situation?

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
This is the most active I've seen this thread in a while.

:) "I really want to throw away this cherry opportunity for a chance to live overseas."
:bandwagon: "NOO!!!!"
:) "Buuuutttt..... "

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Keetron posted:

Is this going to be another goon in a well situation?

Goon in a well?

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Ither posted:

Goon in a well?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2189

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

last i checked jane street let you change home offices with very little friction so if you hate new york there's always london or hong kong to try out

strange posted:

Goon! Choose Jane Street!

My struggle is that while I know Jane Street is the objectively better choice on just about every metric, every time I decide on it, something reminds me of just how drat happy I was living and working in Japan compared to the US, and worry that if I don't try it I'll always be looking back and going "what if".

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

japan will still be there in the future. with jane street on your resume you should have no problem getting interviews with any software company you like, including japanese ones. the jane street opportunity probably won’t still be there in the future if you pass on it now

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

japan will still be there in the future. with jane street on your resume you should have no problem getting interviews with any software company you like, including japanese ones. the jane street opportunity probably won’t still be there in the future if you pass on it now

But once I settle down somewhere, and move all my stuff stored in Canada in, I doubt I'm going to be willing to take the leap to move out to Japan in the future. I also feel (maybe incorrectly), that a high paying, technically interesting, English speaking job in Japan is a significantly rarer opportunity than a similar job in the U.S. Jane Street seems to be always hiring - if they want me now, I don't see why they wouldn't want me in a few years if something happens to the Japanese company or I want to leave Japan for somewhere more familiar.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
unironically, w/ the peeps i know at jane street, you will prolly be materially unhappy. suck it up and save for 3 or 4 years and you'll be able to do whatever the gently caress you want for the next 20... including going to language school and learning the gently caress out of japanese so you can get a normal-er japanese job or whatever

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

mmm11105 posted:

My struggle is that while I know Jane Street is the objectively better choice on just about every metric, every time I decide on it, something reminds me of just how drat happy I was living and working in Japan compared to the US, and worry that if I don't try it I'll always be looking back and going "what if".

I'll interject as someone who spent some time in a foreign country and became enamored with it then about 8 months later moved there to live and work.

In my case the country was Mexico and the location was Mexico City. I went there for a few months for vacation and to get a feel for the place. I absolutely loved it and had this really rosy glowing vision of it in my head in which I remembered all the great things about it with nostalgia goggles.

So what did I do? I moved there and lived/worked there for almost 5 years. It was great at first but then the reality of "oh poo poo, I actually have to work so it's not like that touristy time I had before when I had absolutely no responsibilities because I had all that money coming in from my job back in Canada".

Visiting and loving a place are one thing, actually moving there and working there are completely different. When you have the responsibility of having to fit into cultural expectation and aren't just a "tourist" it's a very different thing, and while you may be in love with the idea at first, that will wear off as the reality that the only time you have to go and do all those wonderful things that you had so much time doing when you were there previously are on your days off, which generally you don't want to run around like a tourist on, because you have to go back to work on Monday (or whatever day the workweek starts on) AND you have to do your shopping, laundry, housework, etc. you'll quickly realize this isn't the little utopia you thought it was.

tldr; visiting a place for a few months and living somewhere to work are completely different

edit: Stop being mamby-pamby and make a decision, you're an adult and shouldn't be relying on other people to make a sales pitch to you.

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 6, 2019

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

mmm11105 posted:

if they want me now, I don't see why they wouldn't want me in a few years

oh for sure

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

mmm11105 posted:

Jane Street seems to be always hiring - if they want me now, I don't see why they wouldn't want me in a few years

They want you now on the virtue of your degree and an internship, don't they? You're not guaranteed that cache once you're a few years into your career. If you do have an interview at Jane Street in the future how do you think they'd view a tiny boutique in Tokyo on your resume?

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

ModeSix posted:

I'll interject as someone who spent some time in a foreign country and became enamored with it then about 8 months later moved there to live and work.

In my case the country was Mexico and the location was Mexico City. I went there for a few months for vacation and to get a feel for the place. I absolutely loved it and had this really rosy glowing vision of it in my head in which I remembered all the great things about it with nostalgia goggles.

So what did I do? I moved there and lived/worked there for almost 5 years. It was great at first but then the reality of "oh poo poo, I actually have to work so it's not like that touristy time I had before when I had absolutely no responsibilities because I had all that money coming in from my job back in Canada".

Visiting and loving a place are one thing, actually moving there and working there are completely different. When you have the responsibility of having to fit into cultural expectation and aren't just a "tourist" it's a very different thing, and while you may be in love with the idea at first, that will wear off as the reality that the only time you have to go and do all those wonderful things that you had so much time doing when you were there previously are on your days off, which generally you don't want to run around like a tourist on, because you have to go back to work on Monday (or whatever day the workweek starts on) AND you have to do your shopping, laundry, housework, etc. you'll quickly realize this isn't the little utopia you thought it was.

tldr; visiting a place for a few months and living somewhere to work are completely different

edit: Stop being mamby-pamby and make a decision, you're an adult and shouldn't be relying on other people to make a sales pitch to you.

When I was in Tokyo for the past 4 months, I was working, full time, in the job I'm thinking of taking. So it was definitely not a full time vacation, though yeah I do still worry about the experience souring on me over time.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Sounds like you're having a hard time reconciling what is best for your career vs. your happiness, even with promises that working hard the first few years allow you to relax later. Welcome to career development.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

As someone who didn’t join a big name company until much later in my career, I have big regrets about not having done it sooner.

Take the Jane Street job, live with a roommate and don’t get too many $18 salads at Sweetgreen, and you can go feel self actualized a few years later because you’ll be sitting on the top of a Maslow’s Pyramid except it’s made of cash.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

mmm11105 posted:

Jane Street seems to be always hiring - if they want me now, I don't see why they wouldn't want me in a few years

they offered you a job based on your internship. if you go somewhere else for a few years they're going to evaluate you based on your resume and your experience and you'll be competing against people with significantly more experience and better resumes. in addition they're gonna have a fresh new bunch of interns to offer "your" spot to

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

they offered you a job based on your internship. if you go somewhere else for a few years they're going to evaluate you based on your resume and your experience and you'll be competing against people with significantly more experience and better resumes. in addition they're gonna have a fresh new bunch of interns to offer "your" spot to

Don't underestimate this. Getting hired at a big-name company is much easier as a recent graduate than it ever will be again.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Do you like Tokyo (or hate NYC) enough to pay an extra $120,000 a year to live there?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

mmm11105 posted:

Eat your broccoli, go to Jane Street.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
.... Can I have it if you don't want it?

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I put very little stock into :allears: ~tech brands~ :allears: but holy moly go to jane street already

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Posted earlier about the transition from QE Automation to SE. I've been passing all the 'check-ins' showing the SE work I've been doing and they fully expect me to pass the transition. However, things with the company have gotten so bad that I can't work here. I'm looking for new opportunities. Other SE are talking about leaving soon and mngmt is loving clueless. I've had so much stress with them I've gotten my first panic attacks in my life and thought I was dying it was a super fun experience. Wish me luck on Fri with my interview with Carvana.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

sterster posted:

Posted earlier about the transition from QE Automation to SE. I've been passing all the 'check-ins' showing the SE work I've been doing and they fully expect me to pass the transition. However, things with the company have gotten so bad that I can't work here. I'm looking for new opportunities. Other SE are talking about leaving soon and mngmt is loving clueless. I've had so much stress with them I've gotten my first panic attacks in my life and thought I was dying it was a super fun experience. Wish me luck on Fri with my interview with Carvana.

Good luck at your inteview with Carvana!

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

Good luck.
Though you should never go to Carvania without garlic oil.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
If fintech is something you know you want to do, take the opportunity now because it's as easy at it'll ever get. Getting into a tech trading role at a huge firm like Jane Street can be more difficult later on because they will expect you to know more about trading in addition to the expected engineering experience.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

elite_garbage_man posted:

If fintech is something you know you want to do, take the opportunity now because it's as easy at it'll ever get. Getting into a tech trading role at a huge firm like Jane Street can be more difficult later on because they will expect you to know more about trading in addition to the expected engineering experience.

I passed CFA Level 1 and couldn't even get an interview doing that stuff, idk what you're talking about man

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I had to quit this morning with a company I've been with for 11 years. It feels super weird leaving but I've never been so pumped. Left there into an interview, probably not ideal but it felt like it went well at carvana besides them asking me to do a practical in C# that I floundered in. no experience in it but at the end they asked about my thought process in solving the problem. I engaged a further discussion of the problem of how they resolved it. My thoughts on the process as well as what else could have been done. Feels good man. At least I hope things went well, it was one of my 1st choices here in the Az valley. I'm super high on life after bailing on oldCo.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

Congrats Sterster.

Well. I've been shoving myself through an learning web dev basics; HTML, CSS and Javascript.
So, I build a small website with a portfolio, contact form and my resume.

Any advice on this 'sell myself' package is appreciated.

I've hit a brick wall on the resume, the little "summary/one paragraph essay" bit. I'm just banging my head against it and getting nothing.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Moto42 posted:

Congrats Sterster.

Well. I've been shoving myself through an learning web dev basics; HTML, CSS and Javascript.

I've hit a brick wall on the resume, the little "summary/one paragraph essay" bit. I'm just banging my head against it and getting nothing.

Well, the design needs a lot a lot a lot of work. That's only natural though seeing as you're still very new. Also for some reason on the main page scrolling is really slow and laggy? Not sure if that's something weird on my end or not. The content on the resume and project pages should be centered, and also that 'navigation' you have that only shows up on resume/project pages is ugly and also doesn't have a link to the projects page. The images in the 3 cards above resume/portfolio/contact are stretched. The contact form being left aligned in the corner like that is weird and the form itself could use a lot of work.

It's a great first attempt, but there's a ways to go from here. I hope I didn't come off as too harsh.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Moto42 posted:

Congrats Sterster.

your site is butt ugly. i know you're not a web designer, but unfortunately, if you're doing front-end, one of the things you're going to be judged on is "does this look good?" first step, use a white background.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

Mr. Sophistication posted:

Also for some reason on the main page scrolling is really slow and laggy? Not sure if that's something weird on my end or not.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

your site is butt ugly. ... first step, use a white background.
Thankyou both for the feedback. I hate the stand-in navbar too.
I'll pick it apart and make changes.

So far what I've got from you both is...
I'll get on these after I've exorcised the dog, but I just wanted to post this to show I appreciate the feedback and am putting it into action.

Specific steps first:
☑ The content on the resume and project pages should be centered.
☑ Navbar should appear on all pages, not be missing from Home page.
☑ Navbar is missing link to Projects page.
☐ Images in the resume/projects/contacts tiles appear stretched.
☐ #topBanner in index.html is squashed, should be about 45vh.
☑ Contact form should be centered.
☑ Set background to white;
☑ Change text color pallet to be readable against white background.
☐ Resume summary paragraph is only placeholder. Write more gooder!
☐ image of portfolio in /portfolio/images is out of date, replace with current image.

Things I need to look into or further flesh out:
Contact form 'needs work'.
☐ Look at other contact forms, build/steal a good layout.
Navbar is butt ugly.
☐Look at other navbars, build/steal good layout
Design overall is butt ugly.
cry in shame, give upImplement first steps above and re-evaluate, then commit sepuku to atone for this thing you have made.

No idea, need more info:
> User reports that frontpage 'index.html' is laggy when scrolling.
. Mr. Sophistication: What device/OS/browser are you using?
. Is anyone else getting this problem?

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 13, 2019

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

elite_garbage_man posted:

Both jobs are fintech - in fact both are very similar forms of algorithmic market making. I'd actually get more trading experience at the Japanese firm as there's not defined tech/trader roles there so everyone does a bit of both and I'd be spending some time analyzing strategies or managing the trader. Jane Street has defined tech/trader roles so there's less exposure to that there - but in returns you do get to specialize a little more on technical stuff. I actually quite enjoyed learning about the actual trading side of things in Japan and it's one of the things that attracts me to that role.

But it strange - I can't find many logical reasons to pick the Japan job (and I can find quite a few downsides), but after working at both there's something in my heart that keeps pulling me towards it.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Moto42 posted:

I'll get on these after I've exorcised the dog, but I just wanted to post this to show I appreciate the feedback and am putting it into action.

Specific steps first:
☐ The content on the resume and project pages should be centered.
☐ Contact form should be centered.
☐ Set background to white;
☐ Change text color pallet to be readable against white background.

Navbar is butt ugly.
cry in shame, give upImplement first steps above and re-evaluate, then commit sepuku to atone for this thing you have made.

No idea, need more info:

macOS, chrome. Also the best advice I can give you with regards to design is look at someone else's portfolio page that you really like, there's lots of lists out there of people with great sites, and just straight up copy it. I did that for my first portfolio page and it worked great. Hell even now most of the designs I do for my sites are copied piece by piece from various other sites.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

mmm11105 posted:

Both jobs are fintech - in fact both are very similar forms of algorithmic market making. I'd actually get more trading experience at the Japanese firm as there's not defined tech/trader roles there so everyone does a bit of both and I'd be spending some time analyzing strategies or managing the trader. Jane Street has defined tech/trader roles so there's less exposure to that there - but in returns you do get to specialize a little more on technical stuff. I actually quite enjoyed learning about the actual trading side of things in Japan and it's one of the things that attracts me to that role.

But it strange - I can't find many logical reasons to pick the Japan job (and I can find quite a few downsides), but after working at both there's something in my heart that keeps pulling me towards it.

I gave you a glib response earlier, so I'll give you a better one, I hope:

Your predicament is not strange at all. The hardest decisions are the ones where you have to decide between what is best for you according to some rational and what you want. The bad news is that you are likely, at some point, going to regret either decision. The only way you come out ahead here is to figure out how to live with or extinguish that hopefully occasional or temporary regret. You can't really do that ahead of time, but you can try exercises like reflecting on where you want to be in 10 years and whether you'd like being in Japan more than the money/future opportunities in New York or asking people who know you (not random goons) where they see you being happier*. In a year, if you're miserable because of the decision, which choice will allow you to try other things you're interested in right now (NOT the other choice)? Which choice has the best outcome if it is a total disaster? If you're like me, you'll fail at most of these exercises, but what you cannot do is delude yourself in to thinking you can undo the decision, life usually doesn't work that way, although you might be able to recover from the consequences. I've said enough useless crap that sounds like its all bad, so let me finish with that you are really lucky to be in a position to make a choice, this is the kind of stuff that interesting lives are made of, go do the thing.

* This tends to say more about the people giving answers than you, so big grain of salt, but it can also provide fodder for thought. Don't do what you mom says just because she says it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Moto42 posted:

Specific steps first:
☑ The content on the resume and project pages should be centered.
☐ #topBanner in index.html is squashed, should be about 45vh.
☑ Contact form should be centered.
☑ Set background to white;
☑ Change text color pallet to be readable against white background.
☐ image of portfolio in /portfolio/images is out of date, replace with current image.

Navbar is butt ugly.

No idea, need more info:

I just checked out your site on my phone (chrome on Android) and I think I agree with most of the comments so far, so I won't offer too much more design critique. One thing I did notice, though, is that your contact form is too wide on my screen and I can scroll left and right because of it. This happens on your resume page as well, so you might want to check all your stuff on a phone as well.