Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Would she be worse than Trump? No?

On the same line, who are the front runners that aren't disappointing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

As Nero Danced posted:

Sanders, sherrod brown, imo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

my kinda ape posted:

I don't see the point of asking this. It's like asking if they breathe air.

I guess my point is suck it up and vote :shrug:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
bernie is too old

i don't know anything about sherrod brown other than 'he's a senator from ohio' and if my largely informed rear end doesn't know that much about him beyond that, he's got some work to do

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

He is way too old for the big seat, he'd die.

e: It's only the last few months people have started to put themselves forwards, they've got most of 2019 to put their names up, the front runner may be someone that's not tried to go for it yet.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I mean yeah if both choices are going to gently caress over the poor, working class and minorities why not pick the one that at least makes the middle class comfy. That's just how it do be now

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Whoa whoa whoa real Americans only bud. If you don't drive a truck and bleed red white and blue you're just noise!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

warren is about the most progressive front runner we have

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crakkerjakk posted:

Sanders is not a front runner, he is a fossil, and if bernouts vote for harambe or some stupid bullshit in protest and give us 4 more years of Hair Furor, they should be lined up against a wall and shot.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

Sanders is not a front runner, he is a fossil, and if bernouts vote for harambe or some stupid bullshit in protest and give us 4 more years of Hair Furor, they should be lined up against a wall and shot.

that didn't really happen but yeah dude is god drat old.

If there are literally no politicians anywhere close to being as progressive as bernie while being at least 20 years younger then good lord we're hosed

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

If any of these potential candidates can't survive the in-fighting and stake out a credible case for why they should lead the Party then they're definitely not going to be able to stand up what Trump and the GOP dish out. There should be no free passes, especially since (with a half-exception for prior-rans like Bernie) none of the 2020 candidates have stood up a campaign organization and published their policies and positions for review and debate. There are still fundamental issues like healthcare, climate change, immigration, etc that the Dems need to come to grips with and should be just as important as simply voting Trump out.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

orange juche posted:

Except if you live in a poo poo hole like Illinois. No way was I voting for Hilldawg or Hair Furor. Besides IL went Hillary immediately, so I comedy optioned Harambe

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Terrifying Effigies posted:

If any of these potential candidates can't survive the in-fighting and stake out a credible case for why they should lead the Party then they're definitely not going to be able to stand up what Trump and the GOP dish out. There should be no free passes, especially since (with a half-exception for prior-rans like Bernie) none of the 2020 candidates have stood up a campaign organization and published their policies and positions for review and debate. There are still fundamental issues like healthcare, climate change, immigration, etc that the Dems need to come to grips with and should be just as important as simply voting Trump out.

Dealing with 4 years more years of hair furor is not the best time for an ideological purity argument. Trump's admin is actively hostile to any progressive ideas, and he's a bigly moron who will absolutely destroy this country if he is given 4 more years. However the Democratic primaries shake out, Democrats cannot afford to stay home because they got their feefees hurt that their pet candidate did not make it. They need to get out, register to vote, and then actually do so.

Trump and the GOP do not determine the election, voters do. If the party unifies behind the Democratic candidate instead of doing some wiffle waffle bullshit and not voting, then Trump and co can shriek their loving brains out on Fox News they will still lose.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 12, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Warren is the best candidate ideologically but she kinda shot herself in the foot in electability so who knows. The reality is that there's no candidate with the will and political clout to institute the Marshall Plan level of commitment to staving off the worsening of climate change so that our grandchildren don't grow up in a world where the oceans are empty, the coral reefs are a historical footnote and they don't understand what bug splats on a windshield are.

I mean yeah you can't afford to not just vote straight ticket D. But there needs to be a whole bumper crop of good candidates growing and soon. AOC is bae and all but you can't pin all your hopes onto one person fixing everything. At least then maybe we'll take better care of each other by the time Earth's oceans become an empty limbo of life.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Syrian Lannister posted:

Except if you live in a poo poo hole like Illinois. No way was I voting for Hilldawg or Hair Furor. Besides IL went Hillary immediately, so I comedy optioned Harambe

You should be lined up against a wall as a mercy killing because Illinois sucks.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

orange juche posted:

Dealing with 4 years more years of hair furor is not the best time for an ideological purity argument. Trump's admin is actively hostile to any progressive ideas, and he's a bigly moron who will absolutely destroy this country if he is given 4 more years. However the Democratic primaries shake out, Democrats cannot afford to stay home because they got their feefees hurt that their pet candidate did not make it. They need to get out, register to vote, and then actually do so.

If they're going to have a real chance at beating Trump then they're going to have to unite and motivate the party to go vote in Nov, and that's going to have to be a combination of both policy and charisma. Can't forget that record numbers of Republicans came out in the mid-terms, and Trump will likely be able to stir up his base to get to the polls in 2020 as well. Whoever ends up getting it is going to have to compromise and horse trade, but that's politics. Right now we've barely got a couple exploratory committees announced, all the current wailing and gnashing of teeth is white noise in the circle of hell that is political twitter/blogs/editorial pages. I'm not going to sweat any of it until the general primary-voting public starts to pay attention which is still months off in the future.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

orange juche posted:

Trump and the GOP do not determine the election, voters do. If the party unifies behind the Democratic candidate instead of doing some wiffle waffle bullshit and not voting, then Trump and co can shriek their loving brains out on Fox News they will still lose.

Boy this whole "wait" thing totally worked when white moderates were telling it to Dr. King

...or maybe it's being yelled at progressives because people innately understand that "blue no matter who" actually means "blue only if it's the corporate candidate and gently caress any actual progressives" (of which Bernie is still hella better than anyone else so far)

I'm in IL so gently caress me if it actually matters but I'm not voting for anyone that doesn't at the least support rent control, universal healthcare, and student loan amnesty/free college.

That is my compromise position, because my non-compromise position is murdering the rich and giving landlords the bullet while we implement full communism.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Professor Bling posted:

Boy this whole "wait" thing totally worked when white moderates were telling it to Dr. King

...or maybe it's being yelled at progressives because people innately understand that "blue no matter who" actually means "blue only if it's the corporate candidate and gently caress any actual progressives" (of which Bernie is still hella better than anyone else so far)

I'm in IL so gently caress me if it actually matters but I'm not voting for anyone that doesn't at the least support rent control, universal healthcare, and student loan amnesty/free college.

That is my compromise position, because my non-compromise position is murdering the rich and giving landlords the bullet while we implement full communism.

Keep waiting for that revolution, bud.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

I mean, he's not wrong. I don't disagree that she did things as a state's attorney that are disqualifying and that she should be raked over the coals for (Mnuchin's mortgage thing, declining to prosecute some crimes because the accused were wealthy, etc), but merely going "She's a cop, so..." and calling it a day is stupid as gently caress Chapo bullshit. The majority of people you need to come out and vote are gonna tune that poo poo out, you need to tell them specifics otherwise people will roll their eyes at you.

I liked Harris a lot before I was aware of her issues as a DA, but before that, people just spamming "she's a cop" was the last thing to change my mind.

Yeah, this.

Me personally, IDK who I'm gonna vote for in the primaries but I'll be voting as far to the left as I can, and whoever the Dem nominee is in the general will get my vote. Even if it's loving Gabbard.

Hey man, that's good and all but I was just being smarmy to Iron Rose for existing ITT. I'll leave the talking points to literally anyone else better informed than me.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

orange juche posted:

im still mad i missed out on the bernie sanders electon orgy 2016.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Professor Bling posted:

I'd never be angry at you for feeling like that, and I'm not going to be a dick and try and change your mind. Largely because that's how I feel in the UK - gently caress it, go with what you feel. I don't think it'll make a whole hell of a lot of difference to the total outcome, but who cares, you can sleep at night.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Stultus Maximus posted:

Keep waiting for that revolution, bud.

Universal Healthcare, a revolutionary concept

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/sbl1976/status/1084017808026095617

https://twitter.com/ivnob/status/1084194252429643776

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
BLUE NO MATTER WHO

the winning strategy that gave the Republican party a thousand seats in almost a decade

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Eej posted:

Universal Healthcare, a revolutionary concept

quote:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

orange juche posted:

Hillary 2020

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
For every few of you who feel that way there is probably 20,000 who feel the same.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Crakkerjakk posted:

Yeah but Sherrod Brown is crippled by being from the state that has elected the most presidents......wait.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

I also stare at the sun, am I healthy?!?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Duckworth pls run

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Goddamn I wish I could just invent some bullshit likeTHE HUMANCHARGER to fleece these people

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wish I could open a pharmacy next to these people and make bank selling pH strips so they can test their acid urine

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

BLUE NO MATTER WHO

the winning strategy that gave the Republican party a thousand seats in almost a decade

Are people just not getting the concept of primaries as the battleground for this poo poo, not presidential elections?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

My god it's almost like I literally admitted to being rational and open to political compromise over my actual desires

I guess I just didn't capitulate enough

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Professor Bling posted:

My god it's almost like I literally admitted to being rational and open to political compromise over my actual desires

Your actual desires are dumb fantasies so you aren't actually compromising anything, just dipping your toes in reality for a bit.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Professor Bling posted:

I don’t think anyone took “rational and open” from your posts

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/aviahvee/status/1084237177569959938?s=21

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Word has it among my Gold Star group that the latest bill to repeal the SBP-DIC offset in the House for the 116th Congress is going to drop in the next few days.

Time to start getting ready for the next fight, I guess.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

I'm saying it's the godamn Manchurian candidate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Wasabi the J posted:

Duckworth pls run

Well, roll