Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

kill bill sirens every time i see that fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Apparently the kickstarter for the VN will be launching January 12th, and backers will receive early access.

Edit: For those unaware, this is the same developer as Long Live the Queen and the previous Magical Diary. This will be a VN follow up to Magical Diary where you play a boy that year instead, and the boy in question is secretly part of an ancient bloodline in ancient Europe, and his hiding his identity because of "reasons." Butterfly effect is going to change a lot of things in the year from this.

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 10, 2019

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This is a weird question but watching Neverland (this season's anime) made me want to finish Higurashi, bad. Sadly I've played ep1-4 years ago and the version I have can't be patched to the ps3/sprites voices. So I'm thinking of buying EP5 and watching the anime to freshen my memory. Is this a horrible idea? Is there a clear point when the anime has handled ep1-4 or does it take liberties/spoil major plot points earlier somehow? The anime doesn't seem that lowly rated.

edit: the structure of the Higurashi anime seems to be the same, 26 episodes/season 1 are the questions arc. So the question is does the anime spoil the latter part of the VN badly somehow?

Dessel fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 10, 2019

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the anime is fugly and kind of a mess such that they had to add a brief additional arc to provide some important information that they'd skipped over. it'd probably work as a refresher if that's what you want.

they do throw in a very spoilery scene from the answer arcs at the start of the second arc just to, I guess, reassure everyone that yes the show was still going to be edgy

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 10, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The first season of the Higurashi anime will spoil up to the end of Chapter 6 Tsumihoroboshi, since that's what it covered. The second season covers Chapters 7 & 8.

It's an anime that at the time I appreciated because it was all we had (before the VN started to get TLed), but now I really can't go back to or recommend because there is just enough left out or glossed over that I'd recommend the VN over it pretty easily. It's not an egregious adaption in the way many are but it's worth waiting for the VN at this point IMO. That said if you are using the anime simply to recap the first four chapters (so you'd end after episode 15) that's not...the worst idea, I suppose?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I loved the Higurashi anime myself but I also found the VN to be basically unreadable.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The OP for season 1 is extremely good.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Speaking of Higurashi season 1. I discovered this song as the B side to the ED if I remember right. It was only recently I found it on the internet again. Do any of you die hards recognize it and know if it has something to do with the anime or game or if it was just a thematic B side by the artist to fill out the single? It's got the sound effects and name drops higurashi no koe at some point. Just curious, it's been haunting my head (along with the "next episode" portion of the ED) for 10 years now. I always wanted to look up a translation of the lyrics.

edit: replaced the embed with a link above just in case the image is a spoiler.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 10, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hanako/magical-diary-wolf-hall-a-wizard-school-rpg-dating

It's here!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Side romance tiers, but where is the tier for a kill damien route...

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Side romance tiers, but where is the tier for a kill damien route...

So simple. Just mention your OC character whose entire life goal is to kill Damien, and in order to win their love, you need to kill Damien yourself. Easy.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Hating Damien is fun, but I'm also happy to see a Minnie route. :unsmith:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MegaZeroX posted:

So simple. Just mention your OC character whose entire life goal is to kill Damien, and in order to win their love, you need to kill Damien yourself. Easy.

Finally, a route where you can date Pastel and kill Damien

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

So like is the Umineko Gold thing going to come back or was it silently canned

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Hating Damien is fun, but I'm also happy to see a Minnie route. :unsmith:

:yeah:

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Looks like Magical Diary: Wolf Hall is already funded! And in less than 24 hours! :toot:

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 13, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finished 428! That was a fun time!

Watching the Canaan anime obviously well beforehand threw me for quite a loop on a few parts. Most obviously when "Canaan" is shown throughout the story when any anime viewer would've known her hair color was off.

Overall I loved the experience, it brought back a ton of memories of the J-Dramas I would've seen back in the day and has a very good balance of cast, plot, twists & turns, presentation, humor, and action.

I wound up getting the Normal, True, Canaan, and (eventually) Shizune ends; I see that there are various random other "special"/misc ends but it's hard to imagine from what I can see that I've missed all that much of the plot. That said if I'm wrong, I would not be terribly upset to press on to get the rest. Though I will say getting some of those Bad Ends was a pain due to not having any way to fast forward text.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chaos;Child is coming to Steam next week: https://store.steampowered.com/app/970570/CHAOSCHILD/

This is one of the good ones. The middle routes are sorta ho-hum but the first route and the true route are fantastic, easily in the same league as Steins;Gate. One of the biggest complaints about Chaos;Head was the protagonist. He was a whiny shut-in, afraid of girls, etc. He grew a lot throughout the story, but the first impression he leaves on the player was rough and hard to get past. Chaos;Child's protagonist shares a lot in common with the C;H protag and he goes through a similar character arc, but he's much less severe in most respects. He's easier to bear for the early parts of the game, and the story payoff is way better this time around too. It's just a better experience all around, so even if you didn't like C;H, it may be worth giving C;C a shot.

C;C has an all-new cast, but it takes place in the same world as C;H after the events of that game. It references C;H a fair amount, but it does so in a manner that's easy to follow even if you never played C;H. They definitely made it accessible to newcomers.

One of the things I'll say in its favor is that I don't think a visual novel has ever creeped me out as effectively as C;C has (in a good way). It really knows how to build and deliver on a creepy atmosphere. The suspenseful moments are really tense.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 16, 2019

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

Finished 428! That was a fun time!

Watching the Canaan anime obviously well beforehand threw me for quite a loop on a few parts. Most obviously when "Canaan" is shown throughout the story when any anime viewer would've known her hair color was off.

Overall I loved the experience, it brought back a ton of memories of the J-Dramas I would've seen back in the day and has a very good balance of cast, plot, twists & turns, presentation, humor, and action.

I wound up getting the Normal, True, Canaan, and (eventually) Shizune ends; I see that there are various random other "special"/misc ends but it's hard to imagine from what I can see that I've missed all that much of the plot. That said if I'm wrong, I would not be terribly upset to press on to get the rest. Though I will say getting some of those Bad Ends was a pain due to not having any way to fast forward text.

The rest aren't really endings just amusing/weird Easter egg type things, I'd say at least do the stuff related to the quiz you unlock become they have funny epilogues for practically everyone that appeared in the game

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Chaos;Child is coming to Steam next week: https://store.steampowered.com/app/970570/CHAOSCHILD/

This is one of the good ones. The middle routes are sorta ho-hum but the first route and the true route are fantastic, easily in the same league as Steins;Gate. One of the biggest complaints about Chaos;Head was the protagonist. He was a whiny shut-in, afraid of girls, etc. He grew a lot throughout the story, but the first impression he leaves on the player was rough and hard to get past. Chaos;Child's protagonist shares a lot in common with the C;H protag and he goes through a similar character arc, but he's much less severe in most respects. He's easier to bear for the early parts of the game, and the story payoff is way better this time around too. It's just a better experience all around, so even if you didn't like C;H, it may be worth giving C;C a shot.

C;C has an all-new cast, but it takes place in the same world as C;H after the events of that game. It references C;H a fair amount, but it does so in a manner that's easy to follow even if you never played C;H. They definitely made it accessible to newcomers.

One of the things I'll say in its favor is that I don't think a visual novel has ever creeped me out as effectively as C;C has (in a good way). It really knows how to build and deliver on a creepy atmosphere. The suspenseful moments are really tense.

I despaired at ever getting the VN for this, and the anime had just finished, so I watched that before actually getting to play the game myself. Real, real big mistake.

Major spoilers Still confused as to why they didn't have the alternative routes take place during the sensory deprivation sequence. It seemed like such an obvious place for it to me! As is they just feel bizarre and nonsensical. Arimura's in particular is bad because everything that happens in it is sparked by Hana's delusion, and I went for Arimura's first so I was completely lost.

With how the story is structured, I don't understand why the other endings need to be seen before the True Ending unlocks. Usually there's a justification behind it, but honestly from what I recall everything past the common route ending is just ??? tier. Even the common route ending doesn't make sense, given that the true route is in complete contradiction to it. The common route ends with Takuru getting busted out by Serika, and a newscaster explicitly mentions that guards were killed in the escape attempt.

That really throws the entire structure of the game off for me. It's like, Common Ending -> Heroine Routes Unlocked (for no reason), -> Complete Heroine Routes to Unlock True Ending (with no justification or in-world reasoning behind it) -> True Ending (actively contradicts Common Ending). I'd really enjoy the opportunity to discuss this, because I haven't had the opportunity to.

Nono's route was my favorite of the heroine routes, though I disliked how little they leaned on their financial situation as a source of drama. They do make a big deal out of it, but Hinae and Hana also show up and just like eat their food and drink their drinks, and it's little things like that that really take me out of the situation.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

The rest aren't really endings just amusing/weird Easter egg type things, I'd say at least do the stuff related to the quiz you unlock become they have funny epilogues for practically everyone that appeared in the game
I completely spaced out on finding the pop quiz, forgetting it had been in the Bonus Content the whole time.

Not a whole lot of content in the Special Episodes but still interesting enough to go through as a follow-up. I had a heck of a time getting the necessary bad ends up to 50 so I doubt I will put in the full effort to get all 95(?!) for the other two bookmarks, since AFAIK they don't really unlock that much plot relevant stuff.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
What's the scoop on STEINS;GATE: Linear Bounded Phenogram, which unlocks on Steam Feb.20th? Good? Bad?

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."

woodenchicken posted:

What's the scoop on STEINS;GATE: Linear Bounded Phenogram, which unlocks on Steam Feb.20th? Good? Bad?

I'd put it in the worth reading/playing category, assuming you liked the original and its characters. It's 11 or 12 short stories in the S;G universe written by various authors. In particular, I enjoyed Kurisu and Suzuha's stories. Another story written by 999's Uchikoshi involves a very creative, if a bit confusing, use of d-mails. A few others are quite forgettable, however.

Overall: 6 out of 10.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

hepcat posted:

I'd put it in the worth reading/playing category, assuming you liked the original and its characters. It's 11 or 12 short stories in the S;G universe written by various authors. In particular, I enjoyed Kurisu and Suzuha's stories. Another story written by 999's Uchikoshi involves a very creative, if a bit confusing, use of d-mails. A few others are quite forgettable, however.

Overall: 6 out of 10.
looking at screenshots from the Steam page...
https://i.postimg.cc/8PLKmkyN/ss-81eab5be4f53a05e724977f39dcb4845b5aeee5c-600x338.jpg

...ok, good enough for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

I completely spaced out on finding the pop quiz, forgetting it had been in the Bonus Content the whole time.

Not a whole lot of content in the Special Episodes but still interesting enough to go through as a follow-up. I had a heck of a time getting the necessary bad ends up to 50 so I doubt I will put in the full effort to get all 95(?!) for the other two bookmarks, since AFAIK they don't really unlock that much plot relevant stuff.

They're not actually that hard to find, I had 50 way before I even finished the game, but I also had trophies for finding them all in each chapter pushing me on lol.
Minorikawa getting trapped in an 8-bit adventure game needs to be seen though if you didn't get that one. Tell the taxi driver near the end of the story to take you to 'the labyrinth'.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

bagrada posted:

Speaking of Higurashi season 1. I discovered this song as the B side to the ED if I remember right. It was only recently I found it on the internet again. Do any of you die hards recognize it and know if it has something to do with the anime or game or if it was just a thematic B side by the artist to fill out the single? It's got the sound effects and name drops higurashi no koe at some point. Just curious, it's been haunting my head (along with the "next episode" portion of the ED) for 10 years now. I always wanted to look up a translation of the lyrics.

edit: replaced the embed with a link above just in case the image is a spoiler.

like the ED, the lyrics are based on higurashi yeah. https://whentheycry.fandom.com/wiki/Tasokare

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

They're not actually that hard to find, I had 50 way before I even finished the game, but I also had trophies for finding them all in each chapter pushing me on lol.
Minorikawa getting trapped in an 8-bit adventure game needs to be seen though if you didn't get that one. Tell the taxi driver near the end of the story to take you to 'the labyrinth'.
I got maybe 35 or so by the time I got to the end and at least this walkthrough had a lot of Bad Ends I simply could not get, if only because I assume they are reliant on doing exactly what they need to have done at the top of the hour for every character so I'd have to start at the beginning of a lot of hour blocks. Even getting that missing ~15 or so to get the white bookmark was a hassle, let alone 45 more.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I got maybe 35 or so by the time I got to the end and at least this walkthrough had a lot of Bad Ends I simply could not get, if only because I assume they are reliant on doing exactly what they need to have done at the top of the hour for every character so I'd have to start at the beginning of a lot of hour blocks. Even getting that missing ~15 or so to get the white bookmark was a hassle, let alone 45 more.

I used this wiki with the power of Google Translate for bad ends and it was pretty quick and easy, definitely didn't have to start any hours over. I was already up to 50-ish by the time I finished the main plot, though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It probably doesn't help that there appear to be two completely different sets of instructions in that walkthrough depending on where you look:

Again though, what does getting them actually unlock? It seemed pretty superfluous, and even if getting each one was easy there's no way to fastforward through text in this game.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Again though, what does getting them actually unlock? It seemed pretty superfluous, and even if getting each one was easy there's no way to fastforward through text in this game.

Nothing exciting, I think getting all the bad ends just gives you the Golden Bookmark which unlocks a couple of tiny goofy things. If you're not enjoying unlocking the endings just to see some of the ridiculous poo poo that happens, it's not worth it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't really bother with a guide for the bad ends, it was easy enough to change something then see which strands just faded out and meant you hadn't seen the end of it. The worst was negotiating the maze of choices in the last hour.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Space Flower posted:

like the ED, the lyrics are based on higurashi yeah. https://whentheycry.fandom.com/wiki/Tasokare

That explains my failure to find it, had the wrong name. Thanks. Creepy.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Neither is wrong, they're two parts of the whole.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I've got a question about the Umineko endgame that's always kinda bugged me, big spoilers, obviously

is Willard Wright supposed to be the metaworld representation of Hachijo Tohya? I'm just thinking about how he effortlessly solved all of Beato's riddles in EP7 and finally "laid her to rest at last", even though it's lamented that Battler should be the one to have done this.

I need to know if there is this final bittersweet element to this tale, because it would be really depressing for this to be correct and it's old man Battler finally understanding it all and berating his stupid younger self :smith:

Annnnnd end spoilers.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I assume you mean actual Tohya rather than Ikuko, since the latter obviously does have a metaverse representation in Featherine. I can sort of see the connection there thematically, but given the demeanor of Tohya-Battler and how he views himself in the mythos of the Rokkenjima murders I'm not sure he would assign himself a "detective" roll in that way. He is an "author", which the metaverse seems to go out of its way to separate as different thematic entities. He also more personally seems less preoccupied with understanding/solving the mystery of Rokkenjima (which conversely is all a detective concerns themselves with, seemingly) than is trying to come to terms with how he relates to the thing in the first place due to his sense of self clashing with his memories.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Finished the Zero Escape trilogy, despite me liking the idea of ZTD's gimmick I didn't really like it in practice.

The biggest problem for me was (VLR and ZTD spoilers) the nature of how fragments and the flowchart are unlocked mean that for a "decision game" your choices come across as almost entirely meaningless because no matter what the result is, you're going to rewind immediately and play the other choice again because you need to get a lot of the bad endings to unlock the rest of the story. you could argue that the AB game in VLR was like this, where in virtually every instance past the first round one decision leads to a game-over, but a) the real "choices" in VLR were the chromatic doors which you aren't going to rewind until hours later, and b)the AB game drama felt stronger because you just spent a couple hours investigating with the character you were playing against.

also i think the only required bad ending in VLR is Phi's. this was a really cool moment in the game but it seems like ZTD went "hey what if every decision in the game was that way" which makes it much less cool. (there are a few bad endings in VLR which aren't required but a player playing the first time will almost certainly get too, mainly Alice's)

liked the presentation of it being more film-like though. definitely recommend it on the Vita/3DS because the fact that those are portable systems make the bad graphics more tolerable than the PS4/PC being blatantly "a portable game ported to a home console

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 26, 2019

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Has anybody here played the xbox remake of Ever17? If so, how was it? I know the changes they made were pretty polarizing but finding info a bit more specific than that is kinda hard

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

voltcatfish posted:

Has anybody here played the xbox remake of Ever17? If so, how was it? I know the changes they made were pretty polarizing but finding info a bit more specific than that is kinda hard

Not mine, but there's a full writeup of it here (warning for some creepy poo poo in the replies because 2011 gfaqs). Seems like the changes are a mixed bag, might be worth a playthrough as a curiosity if you're familiar with the original but the increased "hinting" at some of the twists sounds so blatant as to potentially spoil the experience for a new reader

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Any fans of the Jake Hunter series here? Of all the DS games to replay, I keep returning to Memories of the Past. It has really interesting writing, characterization, and music. The overall experience is a bit like a serious Ace Attorney game.

You can smoke cigarettes to get hints. It’s pretty cool. There is a 3DS sequel but I haven’t played it.

Anyway, has someone released a similar kind of serious detective visual novel that’s actually good? The plots in Jake Hunter are a bit hackneyed but I find most visual novels require me to tolerate a lot of stuff I hate before they deliver the goods. The Higurashi games are a good example - I find all the day-to-day nonsense absolutely insufferable but the story gets very good after you tolerate something like 8 hours of pablum. In fact you have to watch all the boring stupid stuff to understand why the interesting stuff is important.

Anyway, are there good examples of concise, well-written, serious visual novels? I quite liked 999 but the sequels got a bit wonky. Any suggestions would be helpful - I’m just interested in what to look for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I liked the first Jake Hunter release on DS. Especially all the omake stuff. The Christmas one that opens with Jake saying something like "This is Yulia Marks, my secretary. She's smart, fluent in several languages and filled with DELICIOUS NOUGAT" made me laugh really loving hard because I'm very simple.