Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Kim Justice posted:

Here's a question, based on Tony Schiavone a little - he did barely anything in wrestling short of a couple of TNA appearances after the end of WCW in 2001, until all of a sudden he comes back in 2017 with a podcast and now he's a regular commentator for MLW. I'm wondering if there's anyone else, wrestlers or non-wrestlers, who've had similarly long (or even longer) breaks away from the business before coming back? (That is in a regular/semi-regular role as opposed to one-offs)

not quite as long but don callis was out of the business for 13 years before returning in 2017 as a color commentator for new japan and eventually becoming head booker for impact as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

What is The Worlds Strongest Slam? Like I can't remember the move name, is it a powerslam?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Suplex Liberace posted:

What is The Worlds Strongest Slam? Like I can't remember the move name, is it a powerslam?

Avalanche powerslam, I think?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Basically a powerslam but with no rotation. Like Mark holds the other dude perpendicular to himself, facing him, and falls forward, squishing him.

Like Heavy Machinery's finish, but with just one guy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Falling slam looks to be the common generic name for it.

Fallaway slam, but forward.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

You can definitely fit close to that without a stage.
even more if you got rid of the ring

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

That slam is one of my least favorite moves in wrestling. It's worse than the Wastleland. The Worlds Strongest Slam looks like the Worlds Strongest Man couldn't get a guy up all the way for a body slam.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

remusclaw posted:

That slam is one of my least favorite moves in wrestling. It's worse than the Wastleland. The Worlds Strongest Slam looks like the Worlds Strongest Man couldn't get a guy up all the way for a body slam.

Yeah, I too always thought it looked like poo poo. There are a couple of times Mark Henry delivered it with enough intensity that it looked pretty good, though, iirc at least once on Christian

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm also in the "WSS looks like poo poo" club. Apparently every single other easy power move was taken at the time.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The WSS owned. :colbert:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Randaconda posted:

The WSS owned. :colbert:
:yeah:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
How about if he started doing it from the second turnbuckle? I would approve.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Falling slam looks to be the common generic name for it.

Fallaway slam, but forward.

Falltowards slam, duh

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dick Bastardly posted:

How about if he started doing it from the second turnbuckle? I would approve.
Considering his injury-proneness, not a chance. Which is ironic for a guy with literally superhuman bones.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I think it would have looked better even if he did it all in one motion, rather than holding the guy up for a while because while holding him is obviously a feat of strength, all the momentum of the move stops at that point and it never looks all that rough when he brings the guy down. On the other hand Mark also was doing a Schmitt style back breaker from the same position that looked great, even if it made no sense to do as he could just as easily do his finish from that hold.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those move clashes are my favorite dumb wrestling thing.

Bayley does a sequence where her opponent gets thrown into the turnbuckle and stumbles towards her (I forget the setup move but it doesn't matter.) She then grabs them, turns them, and does a back suplex. At least if she sometimes did the Bayley to Belly from there, but nope every time the turn.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I always liked the WSS in the context of Mark Henry being the one doing it. It would be silly applied to Steve Austin or Randy Orton or some more-normally-sized wrestler, but most of Henry's appeal was around his being this giant brick of muscle who dealt in brute, direct force, so having his finisher just be "I'm just going to loving slam you as hard as I can" felt character-appropriate and it coming from someone his size and shape felt believable.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://streamable.com/tk461

What's the story here? Also, is that young lion Tanahashi and Nakamura trying to jump Kojima at the end?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

VJeff posted:

What's the story here? Also, is that young lion Tanahashi and Nakamura trying to jump Kojima at the end?

It was the middle of the All Japan/New Japan cross-promotion & they had an IWGP title match between champion Tenzan & Kojima, who was the Triple Crown champion at the time. The match was supposed to go to a time limit draw, but Tenzan ended up getting legitimately knocked out mid-match, forcing an unscheduled title change. Kojima cut an in-character promo about how All Japan was a superior company & how the IWGP belt wasn't worth his time & threw the belt down. Some quick thinking by Nakamura led to the pull-apart brawl at the end to save face, which ended up getting Nakamura a title shot a month or so later.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...is that how Nakamura got the title seemingly way before he was ready?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

VJeff posted:

Tenzan was unable to continue, so the AJPW ref counted him out. This was a shoot, originally it was supposed to be a time limit draw. NJPW guys got upset that it was a screwjob and Kojima heeling it up did not help the idea.

Yes, there is a young Tana and Nak getting mad. You can also spot Honma, Taichi and Yujiro there.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Adaptabullshit posted:

Tenzan was unable to continue, so the AJPW ref counted him out. This was a shoot, originally it was supposed to be a time limit draw. NJPW guys got upset that it was a screwjob and Kojima heeling it up did not help the idea.

Yes, there is a young Tana and Nak getting mad. You can also spot Honma, Taichi and Yujiro there.

Thought I saw Taichi but I was confused because he was in Kojima's corner. Had forgotten he was from All Japan originally. Also saw Makabe.

Finally, wasn't it more of a worked shoot? That was certainly how Meltzer reported it at the time, that it was New Japan who proposed it as they wanted their guys chasing the belt but didn't want to just be a standard pin or submission victory.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, that's what I wasn't sure about, I've heard it was a shoot and I've also heard it was a worked shoot based on the audience knowing Tenzan had back issues.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
How did Flair do in Japan? Was he as big a draw as he was here? Did people like him?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Low Desert Punk posted:

How did Flair do in Japan? Was he as big a draw as he was here? Did people like him?

I seem to remember him being pretty drat popular from that old Raw they did in Japan like 12 or 15 years ago.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

Flair didn't wrestle much in Japan, which is surprising to me. But Japanese wrestling fans generally had access to, and were aware of American Wrestling. So, yeah, Flair was pretty popular in Japan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

He wasn't as big of a star as he was here but he was considered a top guy and in demand. When WCW pulled out of a Dome show he was supposed to headline NJPW felt the need to work with AJPW to make up for the loss of Flair in the main event.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Was Hasbro pissed off at WWF for Slaughter turning heel and an Iraqi sympathizer during the Gulf War because they had figures and commercials and episodes featuring him?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Imagine if egomaniacs weren't in charge of wrestling, it's possible we could've had WWF vs WCW shows on occasion.

I don't know if any of it would have been good but 14 year old me would've been ecstatic.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I just watched this match https://youtu.be/-kZAk0aOhG0 and i wanna know the good Damián 666 matches. Also that match is fun watch it, its joined in progress but its got lots of flips and rough chops. All you want in a match.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Suplex Liberace posted:

I just watched this match https://youtu.be/-kZAk0aOhG0 and i wanna know the good Damián 666 matches.

He was involved in one of the better XPW matches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8fbr-mKLM8

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 12, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I remember being super into Damien and Halloween for a little while.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think Japan meant much more to Race's career than it did to Flair's, in the long run, but Flair wrestled Japan enough that I think they'd have a sense of him being a big deal.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

I think Japan meant much more to Race's career than it did to Flair's, in the long run, but Flair wrestled Japan enough that I think they'd have a sense of him being a big deal.

Yeah, and he was NWA champion for a long time when that meant something.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Flair did more All Japan in the early 80's since it was an NWA member. You can find some of his All Japan matches on Youtube IIRC

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What was the logic that made time-limit draws so popular back in the day? I imagine TV contributed most to their decline, but what was the reasoning for them in the first place? Was it just a common tactic to protect two stars as they build up a feud?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What was the logic that made time-limit draws so popular back in the day? I imagine TV contributed most to their decline, but what was the reasoning for them in the first place? Was it just a common tactic to protect two stars as they build up a feud?

It let the champion look strong, it allowed the local guy to look good because he could take the Champ to the limit, but it also allowed you to get out of the territory with the belt still on the guy making the rounds.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

remusclaw posted:

It let the champion look strong, it allowed the local guy to look good because he could take the Champ to the limit, but it also allowed you to get out of the territory with the belt still on the guy making the rounds.

So this was more specifically an NWA thing with a federation champion going through local promotions? Or by local guy do you mean like a touring company is putting on a show and local enhancement talent are treated as serious contenders?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I was talking in context to the NWA, with the more local organizations it would likely be of similar reasoning, though I would guess that Broadways were less common in that context. But they are good choice for when you want to change nothing, but you also want both guys to look good. A screwy finish is another option, but it has it's own benefits and downsides.

On the thing about TV contributing to their decline, I would actually say that the Broadways were more of a house show thing anyway, but those were the big shows back then. Typically the champion was feuding with every top guy in every territory at the same time, so whenever they would come through, the local hero would get their shot and fall short, but in a way that protected them. If they were limited, there would probably be screw-job finish, if they were good they would probably go Broadway. Either way, the Champ moves on to the next town and the hero has a grievance or excuse they can use to keep them hot until the Champ comes around again.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I know the cage and shark cage matches and such came about from booking imperatives -- you string people along with the heel constantly cheating or fleeing and the cage gives the big event crowd a reason to watch and finally see that bastard get his comeuppance.

What other sorts of gimmicks and plot devices like the cage and the broadway came about from savvy storytelling and the imperatives of booking? I assume the lumberjack match came about the same way as the cage.