Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Over There posted:

Video Games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega64 posted:

The original SMB hasn't really aged that well, with the physics being a bit off. Still can be fun once you get used to it, and interesting from a historical perspective, but really the 2D formula shines brightest with SMB3 and World. Both of those really dive into all sorts of weird and wonderful gameplay gimmicks and give you a lot to play around with.

Playing an NSMB game for the first time since the one on the DS, and yeah I agree; all I keep thinking is, 'where did Nintendo's imagination go?'

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Getting good at something takes time and effort, and if you're not enjoying being bad at it then there's no reason to put that time and effort in on the chance that you'll start enjoying it when you're good.

That's why a game that isn't fun for people who are bad at it is poorly designed.

you don't really need all that poo poo unless you feel like you're entitled to win all the time. you can literally just jump into online with 4-man all-items rules and see how well you can do. win with item bs? legit. win by stalling and playing keepaway? legit. lose but take more stocks than you usually do? nice.

ranked systems have screwed with people's imaginations or something i swear

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
We really need a new Splatoon game soon. Not a mainline title, but a spinoff. Like Splatoon Warriors or Squid Savvy or something

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gripweed posted:

We really need a new Splatoon game soon. Not a mainline title, but a spinoff. Like Splatoon Warriors or Squid Savvy or something

We got a Mario and rabbids in an xcom style game that inexplicably ended up being good.

Therefore I predict that the Splatoon spinoff will be a Splatoon and Crusader Kings crossover

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

A splatoon RPG would be dope

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gripweed posted:

This boxart for an upcoming game looks cool

Ugh I thought it was just a complete game, didn't realize there all sorts of add ons.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Smoke and Sacrifice, which I know a goon worked on, is on sale for $12.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mister Facetious posted:

Playing an NSMB game for the first time since the one on the DS, and yeah I agree; all I keep thinking is, 'where did Nintendo's imagination go?'

Thankfully it’s still there with the mainline Mario games.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mister Facetious posted:

You're probably just old and boring now. Aside from the stale art style, NSMBU stands up with SMB3 and SMW. It's a good game.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I'm enjoying NSMBU a lot and I also dig the art style. It's like Super Mario World but with nice lighting effects.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Kw2iD_fds

Here's how to fix all your controller issues on switch

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

alf_pogs posted:

Nintendo's brand of "being poo poo" seems way more self-sabotaging and hilariously antiquated. if their first party games stopped being polished masterpieces I'd worry but apple just seem to wanna gently caress everyone for a dollar

Apple to buy EA!?!

American McGay posted:

You're probably just old and boring now. Aside from the stale art style, NSMBU stands up with SMB3 and SMW. It's a good game.

I'm not talking about the art, I'm talking about the variety of poo poo to do. NSMBU+L has less variation of levels, creatures, power ups, and blocks than 3 and World.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 12, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

I think it’s a good game but it really is uninspired in other ways other than the art style. The music and level themes are pretty boring too. We needed more levels like that weird Van Gogh level and less generic plains/desert/snow/dungeon levels.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Gripweed posted:

There will never again be a good Tony Hawk game, so they should do squid skateboarding.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RZA Encryption posted:

There will never again be a good Tony Hawk game, so they should do squid skateboarding.

That’s a really good idea. The movement in Splatoon is a huge reason why I like it so that would be interesting plus it would fit with the 90s aesthetic Splatoon has.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A stunt racing game where you gotta lay out your own track, with a G.U.N.s now that's a good idea

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Squidolm@ster

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

You animal

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Squidolm@ster

That does seem like a natural spinoff, yeah.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hammer Bro. posted:

Uh oh. Does it at least auto save?

Sadly no. I wish they added save anywhere. I lost 30 minutes of progress earlier today.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
A side scrolling platformer/shooter where you navigate levels by painting walls and climbing them. A Splatformer if you will.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I love the fact that they took terrible Moray Towers and made it even worse in Smash

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Splatoon Great Turf War RTS

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mahoning posted:

A side scrolling platformer/shooter where you navigate levels by painting walls and climbing them. A Splatformer if you will.

That's literally just the Splatoon single player

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
More people need to play the Splatoon single player campaign. Everybody says "oh just gently caress around with a couple levels to get used to the controls" but it's actually a really good platformer!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Gripweed posted:

This boxart for an upcoming game looks cool

I went to the eshop and it seems like there are two versions of this game and the difference is that each one has only two of the four characters. That seems really lovely.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Gripweed posted:

That's literally just the Splatoon single player

I’m talking like 2D side scrolling. You know, a fun platformer.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gripweed posted:

More people need to play the Splatoon single player campaign. Everybody says "oh just gently caress around with a couple levels to get used to the controls" but it's actually a really good platformer!

I liked Splatoon's single player a lot but that was in the middle of a long drought in 3d platformers. I didn't get around to Splatoon 2 until Odyssey came out so I don't feel the same draw

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Splatoon 1 and 2 had alright single player campaigns, but they weren't anything super great. Good tutorial environment but as a platformer, they were kind of lacking. Octo Expansion was really good, though. Even if it's a bit unpolished in places.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Jet Set Radio but with woomy

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Jet Set Radio but with woomy

Crazy Taxi through inkopolis and you're driving to fictional chain restaurants and stores instead of KFC and tower records.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Ugh I thought it was just a complete game, didn't realize there all sorts of add ons.

as far as I can tell it's a $40 game they're trying to pull more people into by splitting it into two $20 digital packs with half the playable roster each (Fighter+Tank and Mage+Rogue). The physical release is just the "full" game I think.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Just started Splat 2 single player. It's pretty cool

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Whenever I see the words "Crazy Taxi" my brain immediately goes YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Take me to the KFC!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

JBP posted:

Whenever I see the words "Crazy Taxi" my brain immediately goes YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJXqnYCWW7Y

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Motto posted:

as far as I can tell it's a $40 game they're trying to pull more people into by splitting it into two $20 digital packs with half the playable roster each (Fighter+Tank and Mage+Rogue). The physical release is just the "full" game I think.

thank goodness the good classes are in one pack

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Just cleared Into the Breach for the first time. Blitzkrieg RULES. I'm embarrassed that I hated them initially. They have so many fun tricks to use.

Now I have 11 coins with which to unlock more robot teams!

This is easily my favorite tactics game. Goodness, it's good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

PSA for people buying Tales of Vesperia. There are 2 free dlc packs. For some reason, at least as of right now, you can't see them on the eshop page for the game. You have to go through the switch's eshop, search for Tales, and they will be listed as search results separate from the main game. Super weird. One is a costume pack. The other, the Adventurer's Pack, is basically the New Game+ bonuses. They are completely unnecessary but if you want to get an instant 900,000 gold, like +40 levels, and a bunch of items hey go for it.

And my preference for a splatoon spinoff would be a borderlands style game. Explore ancient human ruins, fight off terrifying salmon, get a gazillion guns/buckets/paintbrushes while constantly yelling booyah in 4 player coop.