Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

I have veeeeeery sloooooowly been adapting the Epic Armageddon rules to do a massively over complicated Cold War game with logistics trains because I clearly hate all hypothetical players, and this is in part the end goal. Having weird ad-hoc formations composed of a company of this, two of that, one platoon of lost yanks etc seems like the kind of thing that'd reasonably happen in a gone hot situation.

A French-Spanish CENTAG battlegroups is not quite that ad hoc, since the plan was for the Spanish 1st Armoured to meet up with the French and deploy into CENTAG. But some war games get into the gritty of individual corps and specific theatres, and I think some cross-national ones might be fun. In addition to the ad hoc French-Spanish there was the US VII Corps in CENTAG which had the 4CMBG/1CID attached to it, HQ LANDJUT had the Danish Jutland forces backed up by German anti-aircraft assets and the British 2nd Infantry Division in support of LANDJUT's 6th PzGrenDiv (and the US 9th Infantry Division might have supported them), there's the UKNL Landing Force with its Royal Marine/Korps Mariniers structure and the Dutch Whiskey company directly integrated in 3 Commando's command structure, there's the AMF(L) commitments... Lots to pick from!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Arquinsiel posted:

I have veeeeeery sloooooowly been adapting the Epic Armageddon rules to do a massively over complicated Cold War game with logistics trains because I clearly hate all hypothetical players, and this is in part the end goal. Having weird ad-hoc formations composed of a company of this, two of that, one platoon of lost yanks etc seems like the kind of thing that'd reasonably happen in a gone hot situation.

Will never get to play it, but I will read your PDF.

Also, I recently (yesterday) came into posession of nearly assembled 15mm PzIIIs (one short barrel, one normal) and an M10, a NIB Churchil recovery vehicle and almost a box of Warlord Prussian Landwehr (some bayos/muskets broken), so if any Euro goon wants to kick some money my way...

For the 15mm stuff, I could be convinced to part with my TANKS! starter if you promise to never tell anyone what I did with the Sherman turrets.

E: is there a theater selector for BA that lets Soviets take Matildas and other land lease stuff?

JcDent fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 7, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JcDent posted:

E: is there a theater selector for BA that lets Soviets take Matildas and other land lease stuff?

I'm going by memory here, but I think there's a little text box buried in Armies of the Soviet Union that covers lend-lease equivalents.
(I.e., "you can swap a Sherman 75mm for a T-34/76" and the like.) I can look it up when I get home if you like.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
In What A Tanker how does moving between tanks within a level work?

Like for the US's entry tier, Stuarts and Grants are entry level and Shermans aren't entry tanks, it's not in bold. How do you switch to a Sherman at level 3? The only thing I see is hitting ace and then upgrading to a level 4 tank, but nothing about going to a different level 3 tank. For 1942 and 43 there is nothing past level 3 though. But say 1944, RAW you would never field a wolverine because it's not entry level and when you hit ace you would go up to a Jackson or a 76 Sherman instead.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
This is the wargames board thread..

Sorry I just had to.

Worst On Team
Aug 8, 2018

12 pints of liquid courage

chutche2 posted:

In What A Tanker how does moving between tanks within a level work?

Like for the US's entry tier, Stuarts and Grants are entry level and Shermans aren't entry tanks, it's not in bold. How do you switch to a Sherman at level 3? The only thing I see is hitting ace and then upgrading to a level 4 tank, but nothing about going to a different level 3 tank. For 1942 and 43 there is nothing past level 3 though. But say 1944, RAW you would never field a wolverine because it's not entry level and when you hit ace you would go up to a Jackson or a 76 Sherman instead.

From what I have read, the starting tanks are where you start your campaign, but really its more of a guide. If you dont have the starter tank, just take something that is the same level as your opponent. Other then getting an Ace, the way you change tanks is when your crew gets bailed, they can come back in a new tank of the same level, still with their kill rings or if the tank blows up you select a new tank and the crew is also new. The system seems to discourage you from starting you game past Level 4, which kind of makes sense.

TL;DR
First tank Lvl 1-3 starter tank
Tank bail, same crew, any new tank
Tank blow up, new crew, any new tank
Crew Ace, any new tank at next level.

edit,
Also, it is worth noting that once you hit five kills, you can hold on to your rings and just have poo poo tons of Tanker Cards and just eat up the deck denying that poo poo from your opponent. When you hit 10 kills, you can skip a level (Go from lvl 3 to 5). I strongly recommend that you use the optional rule on page 19, so that each tanker gets one card not matter what, and then the dude with seven kill rings gets everything else.

Worst On Team fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 9, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I made a microarmour woods today!

The idea is to lay down a shape of felt, then accent it with a few bases scatter trees.

The deciduous trees are flocked, individual branches of Woodland Scenic trees.

The coniferous are bright green "bump" pipe cleaners that I painted with a mix of mod podge and brown paint. This mix neutralizes the fake green color and causes the "fur" to mat together into branches.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Looks good man, ghq models?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They are! We're using a mix of those and CinC.

I just wish someone did plastic 1/300 or some other alternative to spaghetti barrels.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

moths posted:

They are! We're using a mix of those and CinC.

I just wish someone did plastic 1/300 or some other alternative to spaghetti barrels.

Brass rod?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You could, but muzzle breaks and odd barrel shapes would mean tooling a billion different barrels.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seems that Wargames Illustrated plan to include a Warlord sprue with every issue going forward in 2019. "Worth the cover price alone" they say. This month's issue has either a PT boat sprue, or a torpedo sprue. I didn't spot the PT boat sprue in my local, and grabbed a torpedo sprue instead. I feel like I may have made the wrong choice.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Mentioned a while back that my brother had grabbed the Tanks starter box, and that spurred me into getting back into painting minis. So here's a crosspost from the painting thread, of the two Shermans that came in the starter box.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Mentioned a while back that my brother had grabbed the Tanks starter box, and that spurred me into getting back into painting minis. So here's a crosspost from the painting thread, of the two Shermans that came in the starter box.

Those look super rad, friend

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They look great!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Endman posted:

Those look super rad, friend

Fish and Chimps posted:

They look great!

Thanks! :cheers: I mentioned in the painting thread that this was also my first time ever weathering a tank, I'd painted 40k tanks in the past but they always looked fairly pristine. With these two I figured I'd try putting some battle damage etc. on 'em, and happily they turned out pretty good. :)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’ve finally (probably) got enough time and money again to get a small force of tiny history men. I’ve always wanted to do WW2 free french, but is there still no 28mm dedicated kit for them from anyone? It’d be really nice to get an appropriate spread of US, french, and british gear in one box so that a basic force doesn’t require kitbashing 2 or 3 different sets minimum.

If not, is there a kit out that has a good amount of american bolt-action rifles? Using americans as free french unchanged works (even if you miss out on some wonderful headgear) but at 28mm a garand looks different enough from a springfield or enfield that I notice. And afaik the american-equipped french should overwhelmingly have those, not garands.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 13, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’ve finally (probably) got enough time and money again to get a small force of tiny history men. I’ve always wanted to do WW2 free french, but is there still no 28mm dedicated kit for them from anyone? It’d be really nice to get an appropriate spread of US, french, and british gear in one box so that a basic force doesn’t require kitbashing 2 or 3 different sets minimum.

If not, is there a kit out that has a good amount of american bolt-action rifles? Using americans as free french unchanged works (even if you miss out on some wonderful headgear) but at 28mm a garand looks different enough from a springfield or enfield that I notice. And afaik the american-equipped french should overwhelmingly have those, not garands.

The old Warlord Bolt Action American Infantry set would be ideal, since they had Springfields on the weapon sprue (which can still be bought separately on their web store, I believe). Unfortunately the new US Infantry set has guns molded on the arms, and only the one Springfield in that that I can recall. I guess you could use the Desert Rats to maybe represent forces in North Africa? Unfortunately it's still a rather niche force.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Leclerc eat your goddamn heart out.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Here is something highlighted by lilljonas using miniatures from Perry. But if you want to make your own Frankenstein's monsters then you might want to use some of these wwi French head sprues. Just remember to pin them!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Perry are going to release Mediterranean US troops this Spring probably, so they might be a good source for conversions as well.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lilljonas posted:

Perry are going to release Mediterranean US troops this Spring probably, so they might be a good source for conversions as well.

Oh poo poo, really? That's rad.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Oh poo poo, really? That's rad.

There are previews on their Facebook page:

longass link

It's really crammed full with goodies.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lilljonas posted:

longass link

I'm definitely getting a box since it's a whole platoon with extra guns.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Those are pretty sweet and it’s always cool to see the med get love beyond Rommel vs Monty round 1000000. All the commonwealth, colonial, and minor allied troops plus italians and some wackier germans like gerbigsjäger and fallscirmpanzers makes for a lot of fun options that fit in.

Makes you almost wish Churchill got his “soft underbelly” wet dream invasion of the Balkans. You could add in yugoslav partisans, hungarians, romanians, and hell even invite soviets to the party.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

longass link

That does look rad. Although I'm hoping it avoids the problems of some of their other plastic boxes. Because they sculpt in 3x the size and then shrink it when tooling the moulds, the details on some of the Perry plastic kits can be quite shallow.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's the standard plastics casting method that GW was using for decades though. It's due to the sculpt.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

That's the standard plastics casting method that GW was using for decades though. It's due to the sculpt.

Which is why metal will always be superior :colbert:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Endman posted:

That does look rad. Although I'm hoping it avoids the problems of some of their other plastic boxes. Because they sculpt in 3x the size and then shrink it when tooling the moulds, the details on some of the Perry plastic kits can be quite shallow.

I gave up on my Afrika Korp perry minis because after I primed them they became so smooth and feature-less, coupled with how small they are compared to heroic sized 28mm anyway, that I couldn't paint them anywhere to the standard that I like.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
The only part of my Afrika Korps which I felt didn't have deep enough detail was the faces. They look a little derpy as a result, but at tabletop height it's fine. The rest of it was actually pretty decent and has some fairly subtle detail, even down to the ridges in the gas mask canister.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Agreed, the faces are a bit shallow (realistic) but on the table they look fine. You can fix it a bit by highlights.

I don’t know why the ww2 boxes are like that, when the napoleonic boxes aren’t. They’re quite different in style overall.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I think I already asked, but did the British - not Commonwealth, but actual honest-to-bong Brits - use any Kangaroods? Ram, Sherman, Priest, anything! Asking for Bolt Action.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JcDent posted:

I think I already asked, but did the British - not Commonwealth, but actual honest-to-bong Brits - use any Kangaroods? Ram, Sherman, Priest, anything! Asking for Bolt Action.

Internet says yes, all of the above, and predating them all Kangaroo Stuarts in North Africa

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/canada/kangaroo-series/

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 15, 2019

JcDent
May 13, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Internet says yes, all of the above, and predating them all Kangaroo Stuarts in North Africa

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/canada/kangaroo-series/

Well, that's a project for one day.

Cos I doubt many manufacturers make Kangaroos.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They are very easily converted TBH. Pick a chassis and it's basically just removing the turret.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is TFL planning on doing more books like Blitzkrieg?

I’m leaning to jumping into Blitz chain of command just for the ease of having that nice sourcebook with lists and TO&E info, especially for friends who will prolly play if I start a force and have terrain but are not into having to source their own platoon lists. Plus it still has :france:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Yes, TFL is planning a series of theater books like Blitzkrieg 1940. I've heard rumor that the next one they're doing is Far East (Malaya/Burma/China), but I know that Norway and Barbarossa have been mentioned as well. And I agree, the OrBat stuff they have in those books is a gold-mine of useful and interesting information. One of the beauties of CoC is that subtle changes in platoon composition can give forces a different "feel" on the table, which is a really nice way to get more mileage from roughly the same set of figures. If you want to mix things up, play your German figs as 3rd or 4th Wave infantry or Motorcycle troops.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Not a TFL one, but we're doing a Gazala 42 CoC Campaign and I plan to put our homemade platoons (and maybe some extra goodies) into a fanmade sourcebook for North Africa. Similar to the 1812 book we made for Sharp Practice.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
lilljonas, we should compare notes. I've been working on what I'm calling a "PSO" (Pint-Sized Operation, which is essentially a series of linked PSCs) for Operation Crusader (Nov-Dec '41).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ilor posted:

lilljonas, we should compare notes. I've been working on what I'm calling a "PSO" (Pint-Sized Operation, which is essentially a series of linked PSCs) for Operation Crusader (Nov-Dec '41).

Sure, I'd love some good info for the German platoons especially. They are really hard for me to pin down. We've done FFL already, and Italians, but I'd love to have several different German platoon structures. Afaik, they used different setups depending on what transports they had available, but I've yet to find a source that is both useful and reliable.