Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
please, they met when she was 14-15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

imo the us government shutdown is looking like increasingly canny politics

it means discrediting the public sector as an attractive employer and severely eroding the effectiveness of government services in a way which doesn't cost much politically

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

V. Illych L. posted:

imo the us government shutdown is looking like increasingly canny politics

it means discrediting the public sector as an attractive employer and severely eroding the effectiveness of government services in a way which doesn't cost much politically

this is where you out yourself as a non-american, because otherwise it'd go without saying that the public sector is already held in the lowest of esteem here

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
like government work and workers have been the punchline to hackneyed jokes for decades

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
america should consider doing these, to avoid government services being shut down
https://www.parliament.nz/en/pb/bills-and-laws/bills-proposed-laws/document/BILL_79040/imprest-supply-second-for-201819-bill

– exmarx

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what people who aren't considering going for those jobs believe and what the applicants believe are different matters

one of the traditionally big perks of government work is that it's stable, reasonably predictable employment. the more your orange babboon messes with this, the less attractive it becomes

also lol they're probably going to privatise or shut down stuff like the the national weather service &c in the name of reliability or whatever

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol nearly half of our federal and roughly the same amount of state workforces are already private contractors dude

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yep and this is going to make a nice big shove further in that direction

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it's been going that way for decades, the shutdown isn't going to have much of an effect on the inevitable

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The shutdown probably hasn't lasted long enough (and will not last long enough) to cause enough damage for people to reconsider their positions to working for the US government.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

V. Illych L. posted:

yep and this is going to make a nice big shove further in that direction

Hmmm yes the private contractors who got laid off during the shutdown are definitely doing well right now

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Randler posted:

The shutdown probably hasn't lasted long enough (and will not last long enough) to cause enough damage for people to reconsider their positions to working for the US government.

the mass exodus of career employees in early 2017 and the attendant loss of institutional knowledge is gonna have pretty significant long term effects

during bush a lot of agencies like energy, epa, interior, etc. a bunch of people and projects were put on ice for 8 years, but they were still there when he left and things mostly picked up where they left off. a huge chunk of those people are gone now, so when whoever is in charge after trump, we're basically rebuilding the federal bureaucracy from scratch

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

The Muppets On PCP posted:

when whoever is in charge after trump, we're basically rebuilding the federal bureaucracy from scratch

I'm sure Germany would be willing to help you with rebuilding your federal bureaucracy in 2021. And as an added bonus by then we will probably have a fresh supply of out-of-work Nazis after the AfD and its offshots have imploded.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i mean fursonally speaking i'm still getting paid and kinda wish us troops weren't getting paid so the political cost would be much higher. im still planning to go to federal civilian employment as soon as i get out of the army

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Homura and Sickle posted:

i mean fursonally speaking i'm still getting paid and kinda wish us troops weren't getting paid so the political cost would be much higher. im still planning to go to federal civilian employment as soon as i get out of the army

i hope you don't take it personally but i do think that entering the army to escape your ruinous debts was really funny in a "the more things change" kind of way

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!

V. Illych L. posted:

i hope you don't take it personally but i do think that entering the army to escape your ruinous debts was really funny in a "the more things change" kind of way

It certainly feels very old school.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i should have joined the french foreign legion and just got a new identity and passport

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

i should have joined the french foreign legion and just got a new identity and passport

They don't take sissies.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/serenjty/status/1083900464784134144

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Volkerball posted:

They don't take sissies.

you were reduced to e-1 before being kicked out of the army. i have seen people rape children and get a better discharge than you.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

extremely normal all of this

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

also i saw the favourite and it was really good

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i don't follow football, but half the office is cowboys fans so i get to make fun of them and that's good

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i don't follow football, but half the office is cowboys fans so i get to make fun of them and that's good

The Cowboys are the Donald Trump of the NFC.

Patriots are the same for the AFC.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

https://twitter.com/ALaboutSports/status/1082711065618718720

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Am I a bad person if my first reaction to this was “drat that’s a cool boat?”

Like can we take his boat and make it a public boat cause that’s a cool boat. :(

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lightning Knight posted:

Am I a bad person if my first reaction to this was “drat that’s a cool boat?”

Like can we take his boat and make it a public boat cause that’s a cool boat. :(

Yeah I say after Revolution let's do that. People can rent it with all the proceeds going towards ocean reef restoration projects.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
We are all bad people

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
no, i'm pretty great

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

no, i'm pretty great

No, I'm the good one.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/lordsoftheseth/status/1083017000421601280

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

you were reduced to e-1 before being kicked out of the army. i have seen people rape children and get a better discharge than you.

The only discharge better than mine is honorable so that says more about the military than it does me.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

yep george lucas definitely writes lovely anime dialogue

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
You can tell it's not legitimate Japanese by them not mentioning each other's name dramatically every few sentences.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Your question, of course, alludes to a conventional wisdom among left-leaning academics that genes imply genocide. But the 20th century suffered “two” ideologies that led to genocides. The other one, Marxism, had no use for race, didn't believe in genes and denied that human nature was a meaningful concept. Clearly, it's not an emphasis on genes or evolution that is dangerous. It's the desire to remake humanity by coercive means (eugenics or social engineering) and the belief that humanity advances through a struggle in which superior groups (race or classes) triumph over inferior ones.

steven pinker... epic

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it's a good thing capitalism could never be coercive or viewed through the lens of social darwinism. imagine, it might end up harming the majority of humanity

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1084496805344280576

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Vasukhani posted:

We are all bad people

Nah, GhostofJohnMuir is great.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Nah, GhostofJohnMuir is great.

he’s a manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Just lol at a troop trying to take the moral high ground on someone