Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I have no idea how to colour things, but I tried anyway.

Witches are cool and their designs are fun. Draw a witch today!

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

I lost my fiancé and my job less than three weeks apart. god drat this bitch cannot get a break, lol. my mental health was deteriorating rapidly and then I lost all my poo poo, and now it's much better. I didn't need that job.

It's fine. I'll be okay and stronger after this. It's definitely inspiring some cool art. I'm enjoying the fast and loose style.

btw I post my art replays here: http://www.instagram.com/meathooker and also at http://www.instagram.com/therealbeecat

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

tried to make more permanent marker drawings but they kept coming out lovely and then my marker dried out, so I just drew a charcoal sketch.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Shinmera posted:

Will do, but maybe tomorrow, ok?

For now one of the final pikachu's, there must be other pokemon.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

sometimes i think art is easier when i'm not trying

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 10, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

I had to stop this because I had a terrible urge to draw an axolotl.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I had a terrible urge to draw an axolotl.
Increase production!

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Hello, I like the look of this place. I'm a fledgling artist, learning by doing I guess. I don't have time (or patience) for structured learning, and my biggest problem is inspiration.

What you people call "doodles" is a bit confronting. I hope stupid questions are OK here, coz I have heaps.

Anyway, I doodled a 'witch' (she has cats eyes) in honour of my thread invasion.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

Hello, I like the look of this place. I'm a fledgling artist, learning by doing I guess. I don't have time (or patience) for structured learning, and my biggest problem is inspiration.

What you people call "doodles" is a bit confronting. I hope stupid questions are OK here, coz I have heaps.

Anyway, I doodled a 'witch' (she has cats eyes) in honour of my thread invasion.

Welcome! Bring on the stupid questions, we'll try to answer. Don't worry about structured learning. If you're just putting some pencil to paper daily, you're bound to get better. That's honestly a bigger challenge that it seems.

Shinmera posted:

Okay then! Here's my witch:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

heavy liquid posted:

Playing around with the sorceress sketch from this morning...

I really like this one! This year is a slow start drawing wise. I just have too many 3d stuff taking up my time and the hard truth is 3d takes MUCH longer to create than 2d. That is why typically a 2d concept phase happens faster than the 3d production phase. *ugh*

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Keetron posted:

Will do, but maybe tomorrow, ok?

Looking forward to it!!

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

On one hand I'm also constantly flabberghasted by all the amazing people that can put out fantastic looking stuff in no time -- twitter makes me quite frustrated for that reason sometimes, hah. On the other hand, I'm sure if the me from ten years ago saw what I could do now he'd have a similar reaction.

Point being: there'll probably always be amazingly better people, but you'll also be able to improve an amazing degree if you keep at it long enough.

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

Nice, I like it.

heavy liquid posted:

Okay then! Here's my witch:

Very cool, love the more tribal angle. Might do a reinterpretation of yours later.

For now, here's a witch kid:

I think I've finally raked together enough patience to try my hand at the Ctrl-Paint tuturials again to get into painting and shading and all that stuff. Hopefully that'll help since I clearly have no drat idea what I'm doing at the moment.

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 11, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

Welcome art friend!
This thread basically works as a catch-all art thread, really, and daily progress on high art is just as welcome as stick figures giving the finger. I finally went and changed the first post to reflect that, so don't be worried thinking that all of this is us just effortlessly cranking out a quick masterpiece in 5 mins flat while we compose a sonata to our talent and then calling it a doodle.
Questions are most welcome! Ask away! There's always a good chance that someone else might be struggling with the exact same problem you have, so it's a chance to learn for everyone when someone brings stuff up.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Since I skimped out on drawing yesterday I decided, what the hell, might as well do this now while the inspiration is fresh.

I actually prefer Heavy Liquid's original sketch though so I don't know what I achieved with this.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Reptilian witch of the trachemydine variety

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

sigma 6 posted:

I really like this one! This year is a slow start drawing wise. I just have too many 3d stuff taking up my time and the hard truth is 3d takes MUCH longer to create than 2d. That is why typically a 2d concept phase happens faster than the 3d production phase. *ugh*

Thanks! I've only done a bit of 3D work, but yeah... it really does take a LOT longer. I plan on trying to do more painting, which takes me 10 times as long as linework. I'm not sure if that's how it is in general, or because I'm not comfortable with it, yet. Maybe a bit of both?

Shinmera posted:

Since I skimped out on drawing yesterday I decided, what the hell, might as well do this now while the inspiration is fresh.

I actually prefer Heavy Liquid's original sketch though so I don't know what I achieved with this.

Hey, cool! It's always fun to see different interpretations of your work! Funnily enough, I've been working on cleaning up the witch a bit. Might as well keep the witch thing going for a bit longer. :P I guess I'll count this as an early day 12. I'll probably color it later, like the sorceress.

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 12, 2019

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

heavy liquid posted:

Thanks! I've only done a bit of 3D work, but yeah... it really does take a LOT longer. I plan on trying to do more painting, which takes me 10 times as long as linework. I'm not sure if that's how it is in general, or because I'm not comfortable with it, yet. Maybe a bit of both?
depends on what kind of painting you do. to me it looks like you have a very systematic style, so really the sky's the limit with how long a painting can take. If you just paint everything all in one sitting it won't really take that long though

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Welcome art friend!
This thread basically works as a catch-all art thread, really, and daily progress on high art is just as welcome as stick figures giving the finger. I finally went and changed the first post to reflect that, so don't be worried thinking that all of this is us just effortlessly cranking out a quick masterpiece in 5 mins flat while we compose a sonata to our talent and then calling it a doodle.
Questions are most welcome! Ask away! There's always a good chance that someone else might be struggling with the exact same problem you have, so it's a chance to learn for everyone when someone brings stuff up.

Thank you. I really like your art, I've seen a few bits around the threads. I think this thread is one of the coolest things on the whole internet. (possible bias)

See below for some stupid questions.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Shinmera posted:

For now, here's a witch kid:

Stupid question: How do you do these [......]? Are they digital, or drawings? I don't know how to tell, and I'd like to try the medium. It reminds me of Archie comics.

TwoogBuk LLC fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 12, 2019

content
Feb 13, 2014

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Another stupid question. What are those pens called, and what spells do you need to invoke to use them like that?

content
Feb 13, 2014

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

Another stupid question. What are those pens called, and what spells do you need to invoke to use them like that?

Alcohol based markers. Copic is the big (see: expensive) brand, but I use the Prismacolors and really dig ‘em. They’ve got a pretty rough learning curve. I’m still learning to use them, clearly. There’s a bunch of YouTube tutorials on how to use ‘em.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

content posted:

Alcohol based markers. Copic is the big (see: expensive) brand, but I use the Prismacolors and really dig ‘em. They’ve got a pretty rough learning curve. I’m still learning to use them, clearly. There’s a bunch of YouTube tutorials on how to use ‘em.

"still learning" uh-huh .... I think it's drat good, and thanks for the tips. I'll have to get me some of these magical markers.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

I did a digital art thing with MS Paint 3D.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I've never made a real art with Procreate before let alone ~dark arts~; am I too late to the witch party

(time lapse here)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

"still learning" uh-huh .... I think it's drat good, and thanks for the tips. I'll have to get me some of these magical markers.

Alcohol based markers are really amazing, I use copics myself because the brush tip is unrivalled but there are a few other brands that come very close for a fraction of the price.
Here are two alternatives to copics compared by Jazza who is a bit weird but good:
Comparing to Spectrum Noir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU143oqVqHA
Comparing to super cheap alcohol based based: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXhQY1nrxoM

The gold standard are of course the copics, but check this out: https://www.amazon.com/Copic-Marker-SB12-12-Piece-Sketch/dp/B000MRR3GU
A set of 12 will set you back $60. Let that sink in. You could go for the budget option, copic Ciao which are about 2/3rd of the price or browse a bit on amazon and get one of the off-brand sets. Also remember you can refill the copic markers and some colors will go faster than others.

Most importantly, keep in mind that buying art supplies and using art supplies are two very different hobbies.

Edit: there are so many youtube tutorials on how to use them, watching that is almost like using them and much cheaper! Under no circumstances be like me. I bought a ton off the local craigslist, sold them all and two years later, when I had a huge influx of money, bought this: https://www.copic-shop.co.uk/copic-sketch-suitcase-with-358-colours-rrp-3087-50-last-one/ which I am planning to take to my grave.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 12, 2019

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I'm doing a GOON TAROT thread in GBS (stickied) if anyone wants to join in. Happy with a few, they were fun to draw...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Another

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

just a couple of simple pen doodles today.

nothin' like simple pen drawings to remind me of how poor my motor skills are

content
Feb 13, 2014

Keetron posted:

Here are two alternatives to copics compared by Jazza who is a bit weird but good:
Comparing to Spectrum Noir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU143oqVqHA

Jazza's videos are great. I mostly wanted to try alcohol markers to get a feel for 'em before I made the jump into Copics. While they're not on the same level as Copic's, the Prismas are a lot better than the bargain brands.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Keetron posted:

A set of 12 will set you back $60. Let that sink in.

+ Australia Tax %. Over the counter, they're around $100.

Amazon opened an Oz site recently and appear to have shut us out of the US site. Nobody mails here any more

On Amazon.au the same set is $120- 130 https://www.amazon.com.au/Copic-Sketch-Markers-Set-Pkg/dp/B000MRR3GU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1547353672&sr=8-9&keywords=copic

I'll just keep an eye on the art suppliers here and get them on sale

quote:

Also remember you can refill the copic markers and some colors will go faster than others.

That's a major selling point.

quote:

Most importantly, keep in mind that buying art supplies and using art supplies are two very different hobbies.

So it's not just me then? I'm a tradesman and truck driver. Tools have that effect on those that use them.

quote:

bought this: https://www.copic-shop.co.uk/copic-sketch-suitcase-with-358-colours-rrp-3087-50-last-one/ which I am planning to take to my grave.

Whoa! I imagine a day when I can buy a similar set of French soft pastels.

Thanks for the info, and the the interest. You guys are good value. Now I'll go watch those videos.

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Self owned in compressed charcoal.

I'm a messy bastard

TwoogBuk LLC fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 13, 2019

TwoogBuk LLC
Jan 4, 2019

Keetron posted:

Jazza is good value. Thanks again.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I did some doodling yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

Stupid question: How do you do these [......]? Are they digital, or drawings? I don't know how to tell, and I'd like to try the medium. It reminds me of Archie comics.

They are digital. You tend to develop an eye for telling apart digital and traditional drawings through experience of seeing both traditional and digital drawings. There are some tells you can look for, like here:

It's easy to tell these are traditional, because the first one bears the blurring of areas that aren't in focus of the camera lens. The fact it's still attached to the binder also tells us that this is unlikely to be a scan - if it was, there would be scanner-glare at the edges of the drawing that show outside the paper. The second one is either a photo with a better camera, taken from further back of a wider area and then recropped or more likely a scan, since it's all in focus. I chose these as examples, because they show how off-white both photos and scans are. Compare to Shin's digital work:

It's full-bright, perfect white all over. Traditional scans require colour-correction through digital means, which is a lot of bother and difficult and often still leaves a bit of the paper grain showing in the case of full-white backgrounds.
Now compare between these again - the grain of the paper or canvas affects the tools that are used on it, making marker and pastel lines uneven where they "skip" over the paper's grain, or blown out where they soak into the paper. The lines in the digital work are perfect, with no variation in line width or visibility. The ends of the lines are round and blunt, showing the round form of the digital tool, whereas the markers tend to taper off when you lift them off the paper, or blot out a bit if you're drawing slow and careful, or leave a finer, less visible line when you draw fast or light. Even the sketch layer's lines are perfect on Shin's work. The uniformity of tools and lack of texture are big "tells" of digital. Now, many digital brushes will mimic traditional tools to throw you off, but even then a sharp eye and an examination of the colours and textures of a pic will show when a work is digital. The dark smudging in A hole-y ghost's work would be really difficult to replicate in digital, because digital tools, even ones with a bit of randomizing, will leave more uniform textures behind - they repeat the same patterns.
Argue's work here is a great example of digital grain:

There's a nice grit variation in the linework, especially pay attention to the hair and the line of the arm. There's also wonderful blending and smudging between many colours with a chunky brush that mimics the signs of a traditional work, but there's no canvas or paper grain visible - the coverage of the colours is too good to be traditional, and the saturation and richness of all the colours is a sign of a digital palette. The easiest way to tell this is digital is to look at the background grain. It's a drat good brush, creating a very convincing randomized texture, but even then there's repetition of brushstrokes that's too uniform to be traditional. Now look at the right upper corner, where the colour changes from bright to dark - can you see the smooth dark line, how it changes the underlaying colours and textures uniformly to a darker colour? Now look around the pic, behind the witch's head and on her face. The same uniform muting and darkening of colours, a digital effect done either by a darkening/burning brush or overlaying a darker colour on top of the background in a semi-transparent layer.

These are just a few examples, there's tons more nitty-gritty stuff that's hard to point out - stuff you come to know through seeing and working with both traditional and digital media.

Now, if you want to try digital media, the entry fee is just above 100bux - about how much you'd pay for a decent drawing tablet. A tablet is an essential if you want to draw digital, though not necessary if you just want to do digital art through photomanipulation and effects. I use a free art program called Artweaver, though many swear in the name of Gimp or Krita when it comes to free programs.