Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is a real dumb zinger question, but are there reasons that in english we have “The Czech Republic” and “Slovakia” when both countries are officially “The (Czech or Slovak) Republic?”

Why do we not just say Czechia?

I assume they have one hell of a PR campaign, in Spanish they're La República Checa while Slovakia is Eslovaquia, and in Chinese it's the same because they specifically add the word republic to the transliteration of Czech while they don't do it to Slovakia.

Also I think we're supposed to say Czechia now, it's listed in the CIA world Factbook under Czechia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
they realy want us to say czechia but i don't want to

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Technically the Czech Republic did change its English name to "Czechia" in 2016, but it hasn't really caught on. Before the formation of Czechoslovakia, the english name for the area was "Bohemia" after some long-gone German tribe, and the only reason they got that name that wikipedia gives is:

wikipedia posted:

Shortly before the disintegration of the Austro-Hungarian empire, there were proposals to use the traditional name Bohemia for the newly-formed state.[21] However, out of consideration for Slovak national aspirations, the name "Czecho-Slovakia" (later "Czechoslovakia") was adopted instead.

So I guess dropping the Bohemia name was a concession for the Slovaks, but afterwards the Czechs saw no need to drop the Cz name to make speakers of germanic languages more comfortable.

I guess largely the Czech Republic name is what sticks in people's heads because that's what they knew the state as before, and it's not really trying to carry the mantle of a traditional state that's been around for longer than its current government, like say China or France. It's not that unusual when you consider places like the United Arab Emirates, United States of America, or the United Kingdom.

These days most countries have some kind of weird complicated official name underneath whatever the name everyone actually calls them actually is. A weird exception is one of the first countries to be established with a weird name like that, the Netherlands, which was first established as the "Republic of the Seven United Provinces" but later became "The Kingdom of the Netherlands" and some people just call the whole thing "Holland".

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

(no i don't know why some German words for countries have "The" in front of them and some don't)

English has a similar thing: the Netherlands, the Congo, the Gambia, the Philippines, sometimes you hear the Ukraine though that's gone out of fashion...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is a real dumb zinger question, but are there reasons that in english we have “The Czech Republic” and “Slovakia” when both countries are officially “The (Czech or Slovak) Republic?”

Why do we not just say Czechia?

Because The Czech Republic is composed of multiple historial political and geographic units that would get pissy if you used a reductionist name. So the long name is the compromise solution, together with the entirely made up and committee designed "Czechia".

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It's probably mostly just a language thing. In Norwegian it's always been "Tsjekkia" (which is pretty much the same as "Czechia") and "Slovakia".

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Full story: http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2016/09/czech-from-russia.html

Short story: smooth turret casting, infantry telephone port on the left rear side, wavy exhaust pipe covers, direct joint between the upper and lower front plates. Then there are all the post-war modernizations all T-34s got like night driving lights.

Nice, thanks!

Now I’m not so sure the one I rode in was actually Czech, though, because its turret was anything but smooth.

I managed to find a couple of pictures of the actual tank, which belonged to a private collector who supposedly imported it sometime in the 90s.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

LatwPIAT posted:

English has a similar thing: the Netherlands, the Congo, the Gambia, the Philippines, sometimes you hear the Ukraine though that's gone out of fashion...

I mean

The United Kingdom
The United States of America

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

steinrokkan posted:

Because The Czech Republic is composed of multiple historial political and geographic units that would get pissy if you used a reductionist name. So the long name is the compromise solution, together with the entirely made up and committee designed "Czechia".

would they get mad if someone tried to bring "bohemia" back

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Randarkman posted:

It's probably mostly just a language thing. In Norwegian it's always been "Tsjekkia" (which is pretty much the same as "Czechia") and "Slovakia".

Ah! More Norwegians! This means I can ask you the critical question of the ages:

Is the NM72 the M72A4 or the M72A5?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

LatwPIAT posted:

Not out of fashion, the modern state of Ukraine insists there is no "the" and individual Ukranians will get mad at you if you say "the Ukraine"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MikeCrotch posted:

I mean

The United Kingdom
The United States of America

The comparisons don’t really work. You say “The United States of America” or “The United Kingdom of blah blah yes fuckers we all know the difference between britain england scotland and most of ulster” the same way you say “The French Republic” or “The Federal Republic of Germany”

Saying “the Congo” or “the Ukraine” in modern parlance is kinda sketchier.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

LatwPIAT posted:

Ah! More Norwegians! This means I can ask you the critical question of the ages:

Is the NM72 the M72A4 or the M72A5?

Hmm... can't tell honestly. I skimped on conscription myself and I don't know anyone who's currently in the military, I'm willing to bet most of the people I know who were either 1)likely wouldn't remember even if they knew or 2)they never handled one (a couple of them were in the Royal Guard's drill troop and stuff like that). Norwegian military's own site on it says it was adopted in 1966 under the designation NM72-F1 and supplies these two pictures of the Norwegian model.

Other than that, by searching I can only find an article about an accident that occured in Afghanistan with the backblast and a safety brochure which mentions the weapons, also just as the NM72-F1.

e: Though having just now noticed you called it the critical question of the ages. I begin to think this was more of a joke and no one knows.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 13, 2019

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
In Finnish we say Tsekki or Tsekin tasavalta (republic). The latter sounds more respectful. Czechia is problematic, I would translate it to Tsekkilä or Tsekinmaa (Czechland). "Tsekia" sounds like a washing detergent, not a country.

HEY GUNS posted:

"The Kingdom of Bohemia and Moravia" certainly would be better

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The comparisons don’t really work. You say “The United States of America” or “The United Kingdom of blah blah yes fuckers we all know the difference between britain england scotland and most of ulster” the same way you say “The French Republic” or “The Federal Republic of Germany”
i don't think that's right, i'll say "I'm going to the US" in casual speech long before i'd say The French Republic

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

sullat posted:

Speaking of, there's a rich dentist in Texas that has a restored Sherman Tank in front of his house, much to the anger of the local HOA. His position, of course, is 'I'm rich and I've got a tank, make me move it.'

I tutored a kid in that neighborhood 10+ years ago and ever since I have been upset I didn't overlap with the tank.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I thought saying "the Ukraine" these days would get interpreted as "that place called 'Ukraine' where everybody should starve to death." Or at least that's how people would react.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

HEY GUNS posted:

Are you going to pay to change all the stationery? I mean if you were they might jump at it!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought saying "the Ukraine" these days would get interpreted as "that place called 'Ukraine' where everybody should starve to death." Or at least that's how people would react.
according to Ukrainians, the the implies they are a province rather than a country in their own right. given the current international state of affairs, this is a touchy subject

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Chillyrabbit posted:

Are you going to pay to change all the stationery? I mean if you were they might jump at it!
i will start crowdfunding for bohemian letterhead

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The insane former dictator of Gambia insisted that people call it The Gambia, but gently caress him.

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines

Phanatic posted:

drat that’s a good post.

Philly has Dewey’s flagship from the Battle of Manila Bay. The museum was trying to find someone to take it off their hands a few years ago because they couldn’t raise enough money to take care of it. Some assistance came through so they’re holding onto it but they’re still trying to raise $20 million to put her in drydock for maintenance; she’s been in the water for over 70 years.

We also have the SS United States, one of the last transatlantic passenger liners before air travel killed that market. At one time she held the speed record and could supposedly do 20 knots in reverse. The owners keep trying to find something to do with her; there have been a number of plans that fell through so she’s just tied up and deteriorating. I’d love to get on board and take photos but that’d involve shimmying up a mooring line so gently caress that.

I enjoy talking about carriers, but their disposals were long ago finalized. SS United States is an ongoing embarrassment. Incidentally, she is listed on the National Register for national significance but is not designated as a National Historic Landmark. My assumption would be owner objection or integrity issues.

”Historic American Engineering Record Survey for SS United States” posted:

Significance: The steamship United States is one of America’s finest engineering achievements. Its design and construction between 1943 and 1952 harnessed the technological skill and industrial capacity of the United States after World War II to create the fastest and safest passenger ship ever built. It was a colorful, comfortable luxury hotel able to carry 2,000 passengers and 1,000 crew members across the inhospitable Atlantic Ocean at high speed in any weather at any time of year as well as to double, if necessary, as a naval auxiliary in times of national emergency. Its designers, led by the eminent naval architect William Francis Gibbs, paid unprecedented attention in its design and fit-out to reducing weight and preventing fire, with the result, in part, that more aluminum was used in the ship’s construction than had been used in any construction project on land or sea up to that time. The ship’s maiden voyage set records that still stand for the fastest east- and westbound crossings of the Atlantic Ocean by a vessel in commercial service. The United States enjoyed a healthy following among the traveling public and was widely acclaimed in professional circles for its performance, superlative engineering, and high quality construction. Unable to compete with commercial airliners without government subsidies, the ship was withdrawn from service in 1969. It has been idle since, and the SS United States Conservancy, the vessel’s owner since 2011, is currently working to redevelop it as a shoreside attraction. The SS United States was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.

Displacement at design draft: 45,400 long tons
Normal shaft horsepower: 158,000
Maximum continuous shaft horsepower: 240,000
Maximum trial shaft horsepower: 247,785
Service speed: 33 knots
Maximum trial speed: 38.32 knots
Range at 35 knots: 10,000 nautical miles
Highly recommend A Man and His Ship by Steven Ujifusa.

If I had money she would be my project. I would restore her, maker her operational, and then give cruises of naval battle sites around the world. Historians and veterans would give background and context on the way to the site, on the day/night of blow-by-blow account with auxiliary ships/aircraft if possible, and the way back home would involve dissection and analysis.

Olympia is at the top of my need to see list. She is an absolute treasure. If my furlough continues past MLK and congress votes for backpay, I will make it this month. Next time I can get out to San Francisco on business, Pampanito and FDR’s Potomac are my priorities.

Cessna posted:

Thanks! I am not an attorney and am posting based on recollections of things that happened long ago, thank you for more info.

Out of curiosity, do you work for/are involved with Naval History and Heritage Command? I wonder if any of the people I knew are still there.
Quite welcome! We got training last summer on the Barriers Act & Historic Preservation. Always nice to make use of training.

NHHC was the only DoD job I had been interested in applying for. Perhaps I should be reconsidering my stance on DoD employment. Right now I am very specifically not working for the National Park Service.

I’ve met a few people in the NHHC Archives when I popped in to research last month. Turns out I should have held off and used my December time for NARA research. I really need to do a better job making friends at NHHC if I’m ever going to get to chat with Robert Cressman.

zoux posted:

I had no idea there was so much sniping over this, surprised the Ranger foundation didn't publish that Saratoga has a child out of wedlock with the maid
Rangers have almost always enjoyed the benefit of waiting until after the disposal of the Saratogas before starting their own campaign.

Individual attempts were made to save Forrestal (CV-59), Saratoga (CV-60), and Ranger (CV-61). All failed.

There’s something to be said for the battleship naming convention. Being named after a state is useful both for the original authorization and for the disposal. Of the pre-war capital ships and carriers only Texas remains. Since WWII the US has preserved 8 battleships spanning 4 classes in comparison to 5 carriers spanning just 2 classes. All four Iowas are museum ships and not one of the Forrestals were saved from the scrap yard. There’s a good case study waiting to be written comparing the Iowa preservation successes against the Forrestal preservation failures. Maybe a nuclear carrier could become a museum if we funded the presidential library system more.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Though having just now noticed you called it the critical question of the ages. I begin to think this was more of a joke and no one knows.

Through extensive research, I've managed to verify it is, in fact, an A4 or A5, and not just a plain A2/A3 (or worse, an A1). However, there are significant difference between the A4 and A5, and the only way to tell them apart is by markings or the warhead. The A4 and A5 launchers are the same.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

LatwPIAT posted:

Through extensive research, I've managed to verify it is, in fact, an A4 or A5, and not just a plain A2/A3 (or worse, an A1). However, there are significant difference between the A4 and A5, and the only way to tell them apart is by markings or the warhead. The A4 and A5 launchers are the same.
This isn't entirely true, you can also find out by shooting one at a 33cm thick piece of steel and seeing if it goes through it!

With regards to the The in country names here's some etymology dude talking about it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18233844

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Urcinius posted:

Maybe a nuclear carrier could become a museum if we funded the presidential library system more.

After the boondoggle the Navy went through preserving Nautilus, I don’t think you’re ever going to see another nuclear-propelled USN ship preserved. By the time you safe the thing, you don’t have much of a ship left to preserve.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Czechia is in use in Russian, and it's not a new thing either. Nobody says "Czech Republic".

Comrade Koba posted:

Nice, thanks!

Now I’m not so sure the one I rode in was actually Czech, though, because its turret was anything but smooth.

I managed to find a couple of pictures of the actual tank, which belonged to a private collector who supposedly imported it sometime in the 90s.

This is a factory #183 production tank, definitely not Czech.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

fartknocker posted:

Just a heads up, the link to the “Valentine I, II, and IV” article leads to the “Valentine II and IV in the USSR” page.

Weird, no idea how that happened. Thanks for the tip, it's fixed now.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Taerkar posted:

Again, I'm referring to the WWII Enterprise, CV-6, not Rickover's big beautiful baby CVN-65

I realize this quote is from a couple pages back, but I will not miss an opportunity to post my favorite patch;

(high ranking officers were not amused)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Czechia is in use in Russian, and it's not a new thing either. Nobody says "Czech Republic".

In Russian, you mean?

This is a factory #183 production tank, definitely not Czech.

This is the weirdest superpower.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It’s sucks that all of the preserved WWII carriers were modified to have angled flight decks.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is it true that if you serve below decks on an aircraft carrier that you can go literally weeks without seeing the sun?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it true that if you serve below decks on an aircraft carrier that you can go literally weeks without seeing the sun?

Somewhere a submariner is crying.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

dublish posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about those guys. They don’t count they get what they signed up for.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

dublish posted:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about those guys. They don’t count they get what they signed up for.

People seriously underestimate just how miserable it can get being isolated on a ship for weeks or months at a time. I've done exactly one five-week expedition on a civilian research vessel as part of my PhD studies and it was one of the worst experiences of my life.

Sea voyage veteran: bring a carton or two of cigarettes, it's like prison, they'll be valuable currency a couple weeks in.
Newbie: haha that's funny!
Sea voyage veteran: I'm dead serious.

Also the Shellback hazing ceremonies for crossing the Equator and stuff are the absolute dumbest poo poo imaginable.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Think the longest I went without bothering to go outside was two weeks. Didn’t really phase me but I can’t imagine being a submariner.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
This guy managed to spend four months inside while he was working as a contractor on DEW radar sites:

http://www.dewlineadventures.com/stories/

quote:

For some inexplicable reason, probably boredom, I started seeing how long I could sleep each day. I got into a pattern of getting up every morning at 7:30 a.m. and grabbing some breakfast before starting my day shift at 8 a.m. At the end of the shift at 4 p.m., I’d crawl into bed for an hour or two before waking up and having supper. Right after supper, instead of watching a movie or reading a book, I’d go back to bed and sleep until 7:30 the next morning. It was a pattern I was to repeat day after day for a few months.

I nailed a blanket over my window to keep out the 24-hour light. It got to the point where not only was I sleeping up to 15 hours a day, but I needed to sleep that long or I’d be dead on my feet. I’d allowed myself to fall into a bad living (sleeping) pattern.

I finally wised up and realized that this was stupid, so I replaced one stupid thing with another. I started doing anything I could to avoid going outdoors.

As each Main site had Department of Transport weathers observers on staff, the radicians didn’t have to go outside to get the temperatures every hour. Also, because the work area was connected to the accommodation modules by an overhead passageway, you didn’t have to ever go outside unless you wanted to…and I didn’t want to for some obtuse reason.

I think I ended up staying indoors for four months before I put the end to that stupid scientific experiment, as well.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s possible to spend a pretty long time indoors someplace like Tokyo, with good metro service that can connects directly to residential, office, and retail spaces.

People have even done it with the Minneapolis’ Skyway.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Unless you're a Navy linguist, those guys can get assigned basically anywhere. One of my friends was unlucky enough to end up on a sub and he was about as happy with it as you can imagine. Navy manning can be hosed in general from what I've seen, even in comparison to the other branches.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

What country was that in? I thought pretty much everyone had a rule that you had to volunteer for subs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Don Gato posted:

Unless you're a Navy linguist, those guys can get assigned basically anywhere. One of my friends was unlucky enough to end up on a sub and he was about as happy with it as you can imagine. Navy manning can be hosed in general from what I've seen, even in comparison to the other branches.

What does a linguist do on a submarine?

Did they call him the “Conning Linguist”?