Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, once you get to rank 10 with someone you should be able to hang out with them for free and get a cool scene out of it too. And it shouldn't take any time either.

Yeah, that'd make a lot more sense, wouldn't it? Have it be a reward for reaching rank 10. You spend more time with the people you're closest to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

RareAcumen posted:

The MC was fine throughout the game so far right?

the protagonist wasn't exactly against ann getting naked for yusuke's blackmail attempt, but aside from that and a few instances of him staring at her chest in the anime bits, he's mostly been good

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Clarste posted:

Yeah, that'd make a lot more sense, wouldn't it? Have it be a reward for reaching rank 10. You spend more time with the people you're closest to.

I still can't remember any double link interactions aside from Ryuji and Kawakami when you're both going fishing. They don't have to show up every time you try to hang out with someone but it'd be nice if they did occasionally.

GeneX posted:

the protagonist wasn't exactly against ann getting naked for yusuke's blackmail attempt, but aside from that and a few instances of him staring at her chest in the anime bits, he's mostly been good

:hmmyes: Yeah, that's about what I expected. Well considering the normal lows the game can sink to, that's pretty good.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

A couple of times during the game, Mishima will ask you to hang out in the weekends. Those are usually double link interactions. Arist hasn't been showing them off since they're mostly useless as far as ranking up goes

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

UnderFreddy posted:

A couple of times during the game, Mishima will ask you to hang out in the weekends. Those are usually double link interactions. Arist hasn't been showing them off since they're mostly useless as far as ranking up goes

this is probably the biggest weakness for me, not just of this game but the last two, with the social link system

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Haifisch posted:

Especially in P5, where I feel like the 'unlock a bunch of spots to hang out with s-links' system is kind of wasted. There's a lot of cool scenes you can get, but they can only happen when you hang out when you're not ready to rank up, so you might never see them for a given character, or only get one or two.
I look at it as a NG+ bonus, since without the need to grind up all your social stats you've got plenty of time to go dick around having fun with your social links.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

gmq posted:

Wow, I think that was the most negative post in the entire LP. Who hurt you on Valentine's Day, Arist?

Part of me wanted to let most of this one go uncommented, but also we're so close to the finish line and I want to end strong, not just dump out the last few updates with almost no commentary.

Also I just found way more opportunities for stupid wisecracks than I expected.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

RareAcumen posted:

I still can't remember any double link interactions aside from Ryuji and Kawakami when you're both going fishing. They don't have to show up every time you try to hang out with someone but it'd be nice if they did occasionally.

If you go to the big temple with Ann then Dr Takemi shows up at the same time and gives you and Ann a lesson in how to pray respectfully.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Besides Ryuji and Kawakami, I think the only double Confidant events we saw were Mishima and Shinya at Dome Town and Makoto and Hifumi at Jinbocho.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Arist posted:

Part of me wanted to let most of this one go uncommented, but also we're so close to the finish line and I want to end strong, not just dump out the last few updates with almost no commentary.

Also I just found way more opportunities for stupid wisecracks than I expected.
It was kinda try hard bro

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

lol ok

e: I mean, on the one hand, I've collectively spent hundreds of hours over two years painstakingly recording footage, taking pictures, transcribing tens of thousands of words, and writing dumb goofs, so yeah, I put in a small bit of effort here. Truth be told though, I don't really devote that much time to trying to come up with jokes, because the more time I spend in one the more forced it feels, and a lot of the time if I don't like a joke I tend to cut it outright. You're really overestimating the amount of time I spent writing that one.

Calling something "tryhard" in the loving Let's Play subforum is a new level of :wtc: though, that's certainly new

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 12, 2019

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Not to cheerlead or anything - this wasn't my favourite addition to the plot in your thread I've seen - but you can safely and completely ignore anything Deceitful Penguin ever says about anything ever, based on the horrible source material that is his post history

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I liked this update. :shrug:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Here's a LONG video featuring all the Valentine's dates. They're mostly similar - "I hope you like the chocolates since I got them special for you, here's what I was doing when you were in jail, it'll suck having a long-distance relationship but we'll make it work, let's have a romantic evening together."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrNAztBTANk

And here's what happens if you romance ALL the romanceable characters and ditch them on Valentine's. I highly recommend you watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UWVxw53Gaw

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Honestly surprised Deceitful Penguin picked now to accuse you of being a tryhard and not one of the gimmick updates from the dungeons. Maybe he realized he was running out of chances to get a low-effort potshot in.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Pththya-lyi posted:

And here's what happens if you romance ALL the romanceable characters and ditch them on Valentine's. I highly recommend you watch this:

You know, this could have been really nice, and even somewhat empowering, if the game had had the courage to have the girls dump his rear end right there to show that actions have consequences and women are people too (the game would say, for the first time ever). But then Sojiro does that ridiculous smoothing-over nonsense and it's back to business as usual. :sigh:

Still... a fairly glorious two minutes, all around.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Pththya-lyi posted:

I saw this a while back and I was wondering how we were going to get to this point seeing as the final boss was on Christmas Eve.

Take my chocolate, please. Before I crush it. And by "it", I mean your face.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
I'm a bit annoyed that Futaba's Valentine's day conversation mentions Kana, and Makoto's conversation elliptically references her social link ... but that Ann's doesn't mention Shiho at all.

Ah well.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

resurgam40 posted:

You know, this could have been really nice, and even somewhat empowering, if the game had had the courage to have the girls dump his rear end right there to show that actions have consequences and women are people too (the game would say, for the first time ever). But then Sojiro does that ridiculous smoothing-over nonsense and it's back to business as usual. :sigh:

None of this even makes sense though. His cover for Maaku is that he really was with him working and not seeing someone else, but every one of his girlfriends was in the room together, simultaneously accusing him of cheating. Were they all just ignoring each other politely, was the metaverse's last miracle to make them not see each other, just... what.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

resurgam40 posted:

Still... a fairly glorious two minutes, all around.

Well if everyone doesn't go back to being friends they'd have to rewrite the whole game to accommodate all the named women in the game minus Sae hating you.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Honestly surprised Deceitful Penguin picked now to accuse you of being a tryhard and not one of the gimmick updates from the dungeons. Maybe he realized he was running out of chances to get a low-effort potshot in.
Weirdly long rant about anime step dad just came outta nowhere and read like one of those bad Tumblr Screencaps. If writing several weird paragraphs outta nowhere ain't tryhard I don't know what to call it

And I poo poo on some of the more boring gimmick ones but if they had fun doing it, why not really? If you aren't enjoying doing this dumb poo poo why do it?

Illuyankas posted:

Not to cheerlead or anything - this wasn't my favourite addition to the plot in your thread I've seen - but you can safely and completely ignore anything Deceitful Penguin ever says about anything ever, based on the horrible source material that is his post history
hahahahahaha jfc

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

GunnerJ posted:

None of this even makes sense though. His cover for Maaku is that he really was with him working and not seeing someone else, but every one of his girlfriends was in the room together, simultaneously accusing him of cheating. Were they all just ignoring each other politely, was the metaverse's last miracle to make them not see each other, just... what.

Lazy programming due to the development time crunch, probably. It looks like they wrote a one-size-fits-all scene for two-timing each romance option, then just added them all together for multiple rejection cases. The easiest fix would be having each person enter the shop, say their piece, and exit, one after another; it would feel repetitive (like reading all the "hey, let's meet up" messages at once does), but would at least make more sense than a complete lack of reaction to the presence of the other people Joker is triple-plus-timing.

Also, the fact that the "blow everyone off to hang out with Ryuji" option doesn't seem to be any different from the regular "decline one invitation in favor of another" option is kinda disappointing. I feel like you could wring some comedy out of that one.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bloody Emissary posted:

Lazy programming due to the development time crunch, probably. It looks like they wrote a one-size-fits-all scene for two-timing each romance option, then just added them all together for multiple rejection cases. The easiest fix would be having each person enter the shop, say their piece, and exit, one after another; it would feel repetitive (like reading all the "hey, let's meet up" messages at once does), but would at least make more sense than a complete lack of reaction to the presence of the other people Joker is triple-plus-timing.

They could probably have done something good with him getting his rear end beat worse and worse with each scorned lady that shows up until whoever shows up last finds him bruised and unconscious on the ground and is like "uhhh i'll just leave my chocolate here and go..."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sorry guys, I tried but I couldn't get the update done today. Kind of a bummer because I wanted to be finished tomorrow, but there's nothing I can really do about it. I did some work on it but I got very distracted and put it off for too long and then I looked at how much I had left and got intimidated and avoided it some more. So, uh, sorry I, after like two straight weeks of daily updates that took up time I definitely could have used to do things more important and/or more fun than creating free entertainment for the internet, could not keep it up until the end. :v:

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Weirdly long rant about anime step dad just came outta nowhere and read like one of those bad Tumblr Screencaps. If writing several weird paragraphs outta nowhere ain't tryhard I don't know what to call it

Okay man, if you're gonna swoop in and throw out pithy, harsh-but-not-actually-incisive-at-all comments like this, they should at the very least be comprehensible and track with what I actually wrote. I've written considerably longer bits in this LP about stupid pointless voice actor trivia, my dude.

Arist posted:

The first time I brought a girl over here in even a platonic capacity you asked if she had a boyfriend and stared at her rear end, you old lech. The less you know about my love life, the better. And don’t ask how I found out about that poo poo with Ann when I wasn’t in the room, okay? I have the power of clairvoyance, but it usually only shows me occasional minor plot-relevant scenes featuring people getting up to or becoming the victims of nefarious bullshit. Sometimes I know the people, sometimes I don’t. Sometimes they’re talking about me and my friends, sometimes they’re not. A lot of the time, it just showed me the same one dude, but I can’t figure out why because he was just kind of a one-note rear end in a top hat barfing out waves of mostly pointless expository blather that there was probably a much less artificial and labored way to communicate, but he’s dead now so whatever.

Anyway, stay away from my girlfriend. I’m not threatening you, I’m warning you. If you upset her you’ll wake up bound hand and foot just as the last specks of dirt being shoveled onto your face block your vision of the sky. And then she’ll use the soil from where you were buried alive in a shallow, unmarked grave to grow some delicious vegetables.

This is the entire segment you seem to find so objectionable for some reason, and there's maybe one sentence of it that "attacks" Sojiro even facetiously. The rest are just jokes about the weird, usually-pointless scenes with the SIU Director that leave our perspective or me making another gag about Haru being a murderer.

You're allowed to criticize me. That isn't the issue, and I try to keep my posts in this thread pretty chill besides. But I legitimately don't understand your grievance here. Hell, I'm not totally sure I see what the issue even would have been if your description was accurate.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dp was one of the worst posters on this site even before he decided to appoint himself as cultural ambassador to the heathen oriental

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
As a former Awful Poster myself until I redeemed myself, I can say with certainty Penguin is a complete dumpster fire in human form.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
you know, I had forgotten why I had dp on ignore

I remember now

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Yo Arist, this entire thread has been a wild ride, and it's been my first actual exposure into Persona (though I've dabbled in some SMT)
It's been good, and I respect the crunch to try and get this finished, especially at this time of year.

It's hard to believe it's actually been this long, holy hell. I'm pretty sure I started following this LP from a different site but registered to follow it here, as well as DarkIDs Nier Automata thread. Before this I was just binging stuff on Baldurk's archive, for the last decade or more. This has definitely been one of my favorite LPs

So thanks a lot, my dude.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yea, just ignore the guy - he just nitpicks and tries to defend gross leering of teenage girls because 'it's socially acceptable in glorious nippon'

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

GunnerJ posted:

Sojiro is just that good. Dude knows how to play the game.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The scene also requires Sojiro to ignore you cheating on Futaba, even though he's very protective of her throughout the rest of the game. :raise:

But I still like it because of that gag with Ryuji. Sure, Ryuji, your mom's chocolate counts :3:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So since we're dishing on bad posters I gotta ask; is Guy Man hostile towards everyone all the time or did he get hit with like, a four year mod challenge under threat of permabanning?

Pththya-lyi posted:

The scene also requires Sojiro to ignore you cheating on Futaba, even though he's very protective of her throughout the rest of the game. :raise:

Everything about the game inventing a way for you to get away with doing a reprehensible thing so nothing about the status quo changes is loving weird, I'm with you there.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Gonna voice some support for arist. Doin lps ain't easy, especially not for this game and for a period of two fuckin years. Kudos dude :cheers:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
why would he come to your thread just to boo you

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

really queer Christmas posted:

Gonna voice some support for arist. Doin lps ain't easy, especially not for this game and for a period of two fuckin years. Kudos dude :cheers:

I very much second this as Artist has done an excellent job with this lp.

Solitair posted:

Because he is an rear end in a top hat.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Solitair posted:

He might've just been lurking.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
This is a good thread, ignore that guy.

Even beyond the effort you put into the presentation, threads like this are the reason I'm glad LP is a thing. P5 is a game I had little interest in playing myself, but via this thread, I get shown what all the hype was about.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Arist posted:

You're allowed to criticize me. That isn't the issue, and I try to keep my posts in this thread pretty chill besides. But I legitimately don't understand your grievance here. Hell, I'm not totally sure I see what the issue even would have been if your description was accurate.
Hell yeah I can and the first thing I'd criticize is putting internet strangers before your real life. This thread isn't going anywhere lol

It was the last part of the quoted section that was tryhard btw because you're threating an anime

The other gimmicks were less like the rest of the clown show here

Robindaybird posted:

Yea, just ignore the guy - he just nitpicks and tries to defend gross leering of teenage girls because 'it's socially acceptable in glorious nippon'
Some heavy weirdo projection going on as per usual, but this is especially weird considering what I've talked about here ya idiot

Especially seeing as I talked about the issues feminists I. Japan deal with: the stigma, paedophile culture and other wonderful poo poo like that while you retards go on about anime representation lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Please stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hell yeah I can and the first thing I'd criticize is putting internet strangers before your real life. This thread isn't going anywhere lol

It was the last part of the quoted section that was tryhard btw because you're threating an anime

The other gimmicks were less like the rest of the clown show here
Some heavy weirdo projection going on as per usual, but this is especially weird considering what I've talked about here ya idiot

Especially seeing as I talked about the issues feminists I. Japan deal with: the stigma, paedophile culture and other wonderful poo poo like that while you retards go on about anime representation lol

didn't read.