Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

the best superhero theme is objectively all star from mystery men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arist posted:

the best superhero theme is objectively all star from mystery men

Jesus.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

i don't actually think that i just needed to remind you all that ben stiller and william h. macy are technically in the music video for that song

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Best superhero theme song is Elektra's Bring Me to Life

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

remember when all star was the end credits for 3 movies in like 2001?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

poly and open-minded posted:

remember when all star was the end credits for 3 movies in like 2001?

Rat Race, Shrek, Mystery Men? I honestly feel like it was nearing a dozen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Best superhero theme song is Elektra's Bring Me to Life

Show us on the soundtrack CD where the man hurt you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aside from Rat Race and Mystery Men what was the other one.

Oh was it Shrek?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently it's also in Digimon: The Movie. I actually saw that movie as a child, and while I don't remember that song, I do vividly remember "One Week" blaring out of nowhere!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Digimon the show also had a "One Week" sound alike it used sometimes

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Aside from Rat Race and Mystery Men what was the other one.

Oh was it Shrek?

Shrek had it as the opening. Maybe he's thinking of that? Shrek does end with like 4 musical numbers because if you need to stretch out a kids movie, put in a song and dance number. Also doing a cover of I am a Believer means your career is over.

Digimon movie had a Len cover of Kids In America. The Video is hilariously cheap and bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn7zPdizrqk
Maybe your career is over when you do a cover of an older song for a kids movie?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 12, 2019

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"All Star" was definitely the at the end of Rat Race and I'm pretty sure it was at the end of Mystery Men but it was the opening song in Shrek, which ended with Smash Mouth's cover of "I'm a Believer".

I distinctly remember it being in Digimon: The Movie but the weird thing I remember most clearly about that movie was how it had an introductory animated short in which the characters from Angela Anaconda, one of the strangest kids' cartoons of my childhood, all go to the movie and become Digimon to stop their nemesis from that show from cutting in line.

Re: superhero movie music, I think it's funny that Elfman was hired for Dick Tracy and Darkman on the strength of his Batman '89 score and the music in both of those are almost the same as the Batman stuff.

Now I want to watch Dick Tracy again but my dvd is on the other side of the Irish Sea. :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

I distinctly remember it being in Digimon: The Movie but the weird thing I remember most clearly about that movie was how it had an introductory animated short in which the characters from Angela Anaconda, one of the strangest kids' cartoons of my childhood, all go to the movie and become Digimon to stop their nemesis from that show from cutting in line.

What's with Digimon being tied into marketing of crappy Canadian stuff of the turn of the century? Digimon must have been the Canadian Pokemon.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

What's with Digimon being tied into marketing of crappy Canadian stuff of the turn of the century? Digimon must have been the Canadian Pokemon.

No, Pokemon was the Canadian Pokemon. And the Barenaked Ladies were nigh inescapable at the turn of the century.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phylodox posted:

No, Pokemon was the Canadian Pokemon. And the Barenaked Ladies were nigh inescapable at the turn of the century.

They were always inescapable here. They still are.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You could escape but unfortunately it required two weeks.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I didn't see Digimon when it came out but just happened to catch the Barenaked Ladies montage scene recently and it's awkwardly out of place, but uh what the gently caress is a Rat Race and why does everyone in this thread have a photographic memory of its end credits?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Rat Race ends with the cast arriving at a Smash Mouth concert and stage diving while they perform "All Star", which means it is possibly the only diegetic use of "All Star" in any movie.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

i don't actually think that i just needed to remind you all that ben stiller and william h. macy are technically in the music video for that song

Mystery Men is criminally underrated.

Also this is the best superhero theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4j9o6324bo

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Re: superhero movie music, I think it's funny that Elfman was hired for Dick Tracy and Darkman on the strength of his Batman '89 score and the music in both of those are almost the same as the Batman stuff.

Darkman is so drat good, let’s have a Darkman derail (rerail?) to cleanse us all of this Smash Mouth talk

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Darkman is so drat good, let’s have a Darkman derail (rerail?) to cleanse us all of this Smash Mouth talk

So it happened because Raimi wanted to do a Batman movie, but Burton had beaten him to the punch and he couldn't get the Shadow or the Phantom, so he decided he'd do his own. It's a great homage to pulp heroes, which obviously had a bit of a vogue trying to catch some of the Batman '89 action, but if you look at how much money was put into them versus how much each of them earned, Darkman was probably the most successful. Didn't make as much as Dick Tracy but it cost a whole lot less to make and sell.

It wasn't until fairly recently that I realised Peyton Westlake's name must be an homage to Donald E. Westlake (and "Peyton Westlake" itself is a very 1930s pulp adventurer secret identity name, along the lines of Richard Wentworth or Lamont Cranston).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbdeAhpIPhE

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I didn't see Digimon when it came out but just happened to catch the Barenaked Ladies montage scene recently and it's awkwardly out of place, but uh what the gently caress is a Rat Race and why does everyone in this thread have a photographic memory of its end credits?

Rat Race is a remake of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, mad World.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Inspector Gadget, the 1999 movie that by all accounts paved way to Iron Man if you think about it, also had All Star in it, apparently.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Inspector Gadget, the 1999 movie that by all accounts paved way to Iron Man if you think about it, also had All Star in it, apparently.

Please explain what the gently caress you mean by that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lurdiak posted:

Please explain what the gently caress you mean by that.

he white man that has cgi robot powers. fight tycoon

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
One thing you can do about people having opinions is be angry or confused.

Another thing you can do is rejoice at getting to hear something so completely insane that you can appreciate in that moment its amazing uniqueness. Like a snowflake or a fingerprint.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Also a Yahoo billboard falls on the villain’s car and they play the Yahoo jingle. This is a real thing that happens.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I can't believe you guys are arguing over theme music when some guy got it in one like 3 pages back.

It's John L. Williams Superman.

End of discussion.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just watched Dick Tracy for the first time since it came out in theatres. It’s really very...lurid. It seems more akin to Who Framed Roger Rabbit than any comic book movie (and that comparison doesn’t do Dick Tracy any favours). You can tell Beatty and Pacino are having the times of their lives, and it’s just stupid how many insanely big names they got to be in this silly cartoon movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Reports that all X-men and related movies from Fox are canceled after Dark Phoenix/New Mutants. Not surprising really.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Phylodox posted:

Just watched Dick Tracy for the first time since it came out in theatres. It’s really very...lurid. It seems more akin to Who Framed Roger Rabbit than any comic book movie (and that comparison doesn’t do Dick Tracy any favours). You can tell Beatty and Pacino are having the times of their lives, and it’s just stupid how many insanely big names they got to be in this silly cartoon movie.

That movie is so weird because it was a huge deal at the time, starred a ton of big stars, got 7 academy award nominations, and then it seems like it was almost completely memory-holed.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

twistedmentat posted:

Reports that all X-men and related movies from Fox are canceled after Dark Phoenix/New Mutants. Not surprising really.

When was the last time we heard about those two also?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Samuringa posted:

When was the last time we heard about those two also?

I heard that Dark Pheonix is bad and New Mutants is being retooled. That is kind of information.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That movie is so weird because it was a huge deal at the time, starred a ton of big stars, got 7 academy award nominations, and then it seems like it was almost completely memory-holed.

Seriously though!!! I saw that poo poo in the theaters, had a bunch of the merchandise, and then a couple years ago someone mentions it in this thread and I'm like "holy poo poo, what happened to the last 25 years?!"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think the public just wasn’t ready for Dick Tracy. The studio wanted another Batman, but Tracy was maybe a little too camp. I’m really surprised Netflix hasn’t picked up a Dick Tracy series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

Had anything else been announced or rumored besides those two? Gambit has basically been dead for a while, and I think there was some extremely vague talk after Logan came out about maybe doing an X-23/Laura movie?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Open Marriage Night posted:

I think the public just wasn’t ready for Dick Tracy. The studio wanted another Batman, but Tracy was maybe a little too camp. I’m really surprised Netflix hasn’t picked up a Dick Tracy series.

I think that any future adaptation of Dick Tracy should lean hard in the same direction as the movie, but I feel like, the way things are adapted today, they'd approach it in a way that uses words like "grounded" and "gritty".

Part of the fun is that it's in this garish cartoon world but Al Pacino still gives Paul Sorvino THE BATH.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Isn't Warren Beatty still squatting on the rights?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Rhyno posted:

Isn't Warren Beatty still squatting on the rights?

Yeah was going to say. Pretty sure he will only do it if he can be Dick again and have full control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah was going to say. Pretty sure he will only do it if he can be Dick again and have full control.

Reminder that Warren Beatty is 81 years old.