Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

Im still plugging along in eningmatica2.

I just built my tier 5 solar (using still t4 panels, but im getting to it.)

Now this thing pumps out 650K rf. What am i meant to be using to store/buffer this?

If i put 2 ender/io cap's together will that be a 100k in/out like they used to do? Meaning i really want to have a bank of 8 of these right under the controller (for now).

And

What am i going to need to automate my wither farm?

Ive got the builder. I can set it to a timer. I know a mob grinder isnt going to work. Will a killer joe? or do i need to get the draconic mob grinder?

You can use Industrial Foregoing's Wither Builder and Mob Crusher to spawn and kill withers. Probably is a youtube video or three out there somewhere that even shows how to set it up so withers don't break your machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Maguoob posted:

You can use Industrial Foregoing's Wither Builder and Mob Crusher to spawn and kill withers. Probably is a youtube video or three out there somewhere that even shows how to set it up so withers don't break your machines.

I know the wither builder doesnt break (im using that to build) but the crusher works?. Let me google that.

Then its just keeping the skulls topped up

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
what are the current big modpacks people are playing?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Themage posted:

what are the current big modpacks people are playing?

Sevtech went into its final version a few months ago and is a big long sprawling pack. Probably the most unique experience I've had in minecraft with how it gates what's available and how you reach new 'Ages'. Requires tons of exploration and going deep into various mods.
Enigmatica 2 Expert Skyblock is remixed skyblock that's still occasionally updated. Biggest change is how early game works without having sieves and using multiblocks for things.

Those two I'm personally familiar with though there's also the big kitchen sink pack All The Mods which is supposedly pretty decent too.

E: And Project Ozone 3 is currently being beta'd and close to finished which if it's anything like PO2 will be a massive, fun pack.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Enigmatica 2 Expert Skyblock

Is probably the pack that ive stuck with the longest bar blightfall.

There are gates, there is grind, but for the most part nothing that falls into "this is just bullshit" that most packs somehow manage to have.

I just finished 2 teir 3 solar arrays to make my tier 5 envirotech solar.

I did the numbers at first and though id just creative them in, but once i set up my automation it didnt really take much effort.

But, i think i need something like journey to the core mechanic, where you have to pack up your base, because poo poo is all too cramped and ive got 3 different mod packs cables running mazes

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Is there some trick to the Gaia Guardian in Ultimate Alchemy? I attempted it and died basically instantly.

edit: oh I see the purple poo poo does absolutely loving massive damage now, AND wither III on top of it. This was NOT the case last time I fought it. God drat it vanskii.
Is there a way to get the gaia spirit without fighting the guardian?

edit2: apparently not, but you can make infinite exp via thinking statues to enchant your armor with prot 4, and also set up a regen 2 environment module. The flux bow is a good bow, it does splash damage??? I didn't know about that.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 15, 2019

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Is there some trick to the Gaia Guardian in Ultimate Alchemy? I attempted it and died basically instantly.

edit: oh I see the purple poo poo does absolutely loving massive damage now, AND wither III on top of it. This was NOT the case last time I fought it. God drat it vanskii.
Is there a way to get the gaia spirit without fighting the guardian?

edit2: apparently not, but you can make infinite exp via thinking statues to enchant your armor with prot 4, and also set up a regen 2 environment module. The flux bow is a good bow, it does splash damage??? I didn't know about that.

Assuming that the gaia guardian hasn't been tweaked, the recommended gear is the anime laser sword with sharpness 5 and whatever other cheesy +damage enchants the pack has, and a minimum of full elementium armor with protection 4 on every piece. Terrasteel armor is even better, but that's like 12 mana pools worth of mana. You also want to use a bunch of flasks like speed, resistance, a couple of absorption flasks.

Another thing that helps a lot is preparing the battlefield. Botania's got a lot of mob-affecting and status-granting flowers; use them. The infighting flower (for the add phase) and the regeneration flower are both very helpful.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

McFrugal posted:

you can make infinite exp via thinking statues
What now?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

What now?

It's a pack specific thing. You craft a statue of the thinker with a chisel and a single smooth stone, then melt it in a magma crucible for essence of knowledge. You can turn around and use that in the thermal expansion enchanter block to make books, as well as load up a tome of experience. It's designed that way because no mobs can spawn anywhere on the map.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So I guess Thaumcraft is being abandoned for real/for good this time. That's a real shame -- it's the one mod I think I've consistently played longer than any other, unless you count Inventory Tweaks and stuff like JEI. I hope it lives on in some form because no other magic mod really scratches the itch quite the same way.

Though relatedly, I do sort of hope that Wizardry mod shapes up soon. Short the (significant) bugs and balance issues it could be a good spiritual successor to Ars Magica. Still not Thaumcraft, but AM(2) was a good mod nonetheless.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

So I guess Thaumcraft is being abandoned for real/for good this time. That's a real shame -- it's the one mod I think I've consistently played longer than any other, unless you count Inventory Tweaks and stuff like JEI. I hope it lives on in some form because no other magic mod really scratches the itch quite the same way.

Though relatedly, I do sort of hope that Wizardry mod shapes up soon. Short the (significant) bugs and balance issues it could be a good spiritual successor to Ars Magica. Still not Thaumcraft, but AM(2) was a good mod nonetheless.

Wait, what happened?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

xanthan posted:

Wait, what happened?
Dev shut down his patreon, said "yeah i can't commit time to modmaking anymore, peace." It's not really dramatic or anything.

Wungus fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 16, 2019

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Dang, maybe someone else will take it up?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

xanthan posted:

Dang, maybe someone else will take it up?

It'd have to be open sourced, probably.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, the device has been reluctant to let others at the code in the past

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Unless someone recreates it from scratch with their own code this ain't happening. Most big magic mods are closed source, because of developer ego I guess? Lotta people don't want to share their mod code. Astral Sorcery's the only open source one I can think of. That said, someone could do just that and rebuild from nothing. There's been a person remaking Dartcraft for modern minecraft, coding everything from the ground up.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

mehall posted:

Yeah, the device has been reluctant to let others at the code in the past

have you ever worked with decompiled java before

it's not pretty

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I have been trying to figure out https://mcreator.net . I have a decent idea for a mod but for something that says "MCreator is a software used to make Minecraft mods without programming knowledge." it takes a bit of programming knowledge to use.
Seems to be decent enough to use for making simple stuff like tools or a new ore/block or something, but anything involving a new machine gets a bit more complicated.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I've been trying to get split screen PC working so my girlfriend and I can play at the same time. Haven't really played in years
Got the joypad mod going and two windows sized well, the only dilemma is that while playing one instance of minecraft will always have its window in focus while another will be out of focus and the out of focus window always runs laggy
Any ideas?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I've been trying to get split screen PC working so my girlfriend and I can play at the same time. Haven't really played in years
Got the joypad mod going and two windows sized well, the only dilemma is that while playing one instance of minecraft will always have its window in focus while another will be out of focus and the out of focus window always runs laggy
Any ideas?

I'm surprised you can get two instances running and even have one of them not be laggy. But the issue is probably that your operating system is deprioritizing the out of focus window as part of normal resource management. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do about that?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Any ideas?

Introduce yourself to the wonders of virtualization.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Meskhenet posted:

Im still plugging along in eningmatica2.

I just built my tier 5 solar (using still t4 panels, but im getting to it.)

Now this thing pumps out 650K rf. What am i meant to be using to store/buffer this?

If i put 2 ender/io cap's together will that be a 100k in/out like they used to do? Meaning i really want to have a bank of 8 of these right under the controller (for now).

And

What am i going to need to automate my wither farm?

Ive got the builder. I can set it to a timer. I know a mob grinder isnt going to work. Will a killer joe? or do i need to get the draconic mob grinder?

For energy storage, use the Mekanism multi block energy thing.

For a wither farm, use an rftools shield generator. You can put the mob killer behind it and it'll still work.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

For energy storage, use the Mekanism multi block energy thing.

For a wither farm, use an rftools shield generator. You can put the mob killer behind it and it'll still work.

I cant seem to craft the basic mek stuff.

There is no rec in jei for the basic gas tank, or the basic power thing as well a few other bits and pieces. Meaning i cant complete a number of quests because the top tier needs the lowest to start with....

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Meskhenet posted:

I cant seem to craft the basic mek stuff.

There is no rec in jei for the basic gas tank, or the basic power thing as well a few other bits and pieces. Meaning i cant complete a number of quests because the top tier needs the lowest to start with....

Close Minecraft and open it again.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

have you ever worked with decompiled java before

it's not pretty
Why even add 'decompiled' to that sentence? :getin:

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 17, 2019

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Any ideas?

Pop open task manager, go to the details tab, find and right click on the specific instance of Minecraft, click set priority and change it to above average.

Maybe do it for both instances of Minecraft. I have no idea if this will work, but it's the only thought I have.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Black Pants posted:

Close Minecraft and open it again.

This is persistant. As in i can never craft these low teir items from mek.

Not a problem if i can creative them in quickly.

But then i found that i couldnt craft the controller for the evaporation unit as it refused to accept the ultimate tank, after i had craft it from a cheated in basic. (As well a few other oddities)

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Any ideas?

Why aren't you just playing on 2 different computers & using lan connect?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
We've got one really good computer and a bunch of lovely to okay ones
Gotta say though the former is running split screen joypad minecraft (with ic2, plenty o biomes, fauna, and some other mods, havent really played in ages so I dunno what mods are good or essential these days) in two instances without much lag anymore. Some finicky stuff/occasional lag time but very playable.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
I was running ATM3 for a while and had fun with it, but it absolutely murders my PC. Probably my own fault for using RS instead of AE2, but I loving hate the stupid meteor hunt minigame.

Plus, I looked into endgame and noped the gently caress out the bee requirement. The mod I did really enjoy was Astral Sorcery; any packs use that and keep up with the latest dev stuff? He's really making a lot of new stuff lately and I don't really feel like rolling my own.

Nthing the fond memories of blightfall, BTW. It's still the most fun modpack I've ever played. Too bad the skyship broke all my pipes every time I parked it to clear the land...

E: curses dependancy filter doesn't really tell me the bit I need to know: what version of AS is included in a pack. Pack date is a proxy for it but no guarantee that a jan-2019 release means it's got the jan-7 update.

E2: Lag was the comedy option: a missing water source near my base trapped a chicken and I have the horny animals astral sorcery perk. One server-side chicken genocide later and suddenly the TPS went from .5 to 15.

Harik fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 20, 2019

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Harik posted:

I was running ATM3 for a while and had fun with it, but it absolutely murders my PC. Probably my own fault for using RS instead of AE2, but I loving hate the stupid meteor hunt minigame.

Plus, I looked into endgame and noped the gently caress out the bee requirement. The mod I did really enjoy was Astral Sorcery; any packs use that and keep up with the latest dev stuff? He's really making a lot of new stuff lately and I don't really feel like rolling my own.

Enigmatica 2 Expert Skyblock has the very latest Astral Sorcery, that's all I know of from the packs I have installed. But, like, Expert heh.

I assume Enigmatica 2, the non-expert sandbox pack will have it up-to-date though.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 20, 2019

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

I'm playing with some friends still pretty new to MC, so for now I want to keep it mostly vanilla, but they're open to some QoL improvements. I was thinking some stuff like a minimap, some inventory auto-stack/sort stuff (like in Terraria, not like an ME system), maybe backpacks and/or iron chests (if that still exists) or something. Not strictly QoL but something that messes with world gen would be cool because it feels like we have all of about three biomes in our world.

So I was wondering if there were any other nice QoL features you'd recommend I look for mods for, or if there's a good "vanilla+" type modpack that already exists?

Thanks!

e: whoops, thought I said which version, my bad. 1.13.2

Telum fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 20, 2019

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Zack Ater posted:

e: whoops, thought I said which version, my bad. 1.13.2

1.13 is right now about the worst possible version for mods in general: The major framework (and thus the majority of mods) is currently stuck on 1.12 due to various reasons. There's a smaller alternative thing that showed up recently, but that is targeting 1.14 and has a couple smaller mods for it, so 1.13 is in the weird middle spot between those two.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods?filter-game-version=2020709689%3A7132&filter-sort=4

Slightly over a page of mods for 1.13.2.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Kobata posted:

1.13 is right now about the worst possible version for mods in general: The major framework (and thus the majority of mods) is currently stuck on 1.12 due to various reasons. There's a smaller alternative thing that showed up recently, but that is targeting 1.14 and has a couple smaller mods for it, so 1.13 is in the weird middle spot between those two.
It's happened repeatedly, there's some big forge-breaking change in minecraft and it takes so long to fix that everyone just skips the version and develops for the next. Mods not rushing to target the interim version means they get more updates on their own code so you end up with a good period for mods in general.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Basically, 1.12.2 is the new 1.7.10.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is the new 1.2.5

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Now I feel like messing around with old Thaumcraft, specifically whatever one was in the Yogbox.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Found this list of minecraft modpacks, figured I'd repost it here since we get the "which pack should I play?" question sometimes.

--

Here's a list of popular packs with a short description of them and their genres.

Stoneblock 1 and 2: Medium, packs with a bit of gating. Very easy to become OP.
Enigmatica 2: A questing pack for beginners.
Enigmatica 2 Expert: A medium-difficulty expert pack.
Enigmatica 2 Expert Skyblock: A skyblock version of Enigmatica 2 Expert
Rougelike Dungeons and Adventures: An RPG-style pack with some lesser-known mods.
SevTech Ages: A slow progression pack with achievements to guide you. Quite heavy.
Modern Skyblock 3: A skyblock pack with the option to play with or without progression.
GregBlock: An expert pack on a skyblock, built around GregTech.
Break Out!: A beginner-friendly pack centered on getting out of some rooms.
Dungeons, Dragons, and Space Shuttles: An expert pack with very good instruction
Peace of Mind: An instructional pack for beginners meant to be played on Peaceful
Enigmatica 2 Light: A lighter version of Enigmatica 2.

Older packs that are quite good:

GregTech New Horizons: THE expert pack. Years of playtime, very slow progression.
Project Ozone 2 (Kappa Mode): Another very long expert pack
Regrowth: A story-driven pack, where you set out to regrow a dead world.
Age of Engineering: A tech-only expert pack. Not too grindy, from my experience
Divine Journey: An extremely hard expert pack focused on magic.
FTB Infinity Evolved: A 1.7.10 kitchen sink with an expert mode. The original expert pack.
Crazy Craft 3: A less technical fun pack
Agrarian Skies 1 & 2: Hardcore questing packs on a skyblock. Survival can be hard in the beginning.
Crash Landing: A hardcore survival pack set on a flat desert. Survival is extremely challenging and mobs are tough.
Project Ozone Lite: A smaller, lighter version of Project Ozone 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Dungeons, Dragons, and Space Shuttles: An expert pack with very good instruction

Started playing this a few days ago and it was interesting, but I had to stop after I realized the pack maker had made Argon a 'fuel' for the blacksmith worktable. I went on his discord and asked about that and the pack maker said that he didn't know it was an inert gas.. also he wasn't changing it. And the pack had you extracting it from liquified air at a 1:1 ratio... lol.

One of the things that makes Gregtech New Horizons so good is the attention to detail and realism of processes where possible.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 21, 2019