Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/davidnakamura/status/1084440247373582336?s=21

Republicans truly are broke brained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Never in doubt.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
With the advent of trump and the loss of dog whistles, none of them can effectively hold a lie because they'll just act against it the next day/a few hours/tweet.

Doesn't help that republicans and nazis have just moved on to a full All You Can Eat Reality where you just pick and choose what you believe and ignore anything that could prove otherwise.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Boondocks reference.
https://youtu.be/eae_e2Fd17w

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

I wonder if this is less "Republicans are supporting the wall more" and more "People who don't support the wall are identifying as Republican less".

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Watched about half of Trump's interview from last night just now and it's stunning how much the hosts there carry water water for him. The host kept goading him to enact an emergency declaration and brought up the Russian collusion investigation solely just to laugh about it on air.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Rip Testes posted:

Watched about half of Trump's interview from last night just now and it's stunning how much the hosts there carry water water for him. The host kept goading him to enact an emergency declaration and brought up the Russian collusion investigation solely just to laugh about it on air.

It is pretty hosed up that the media wants, above all else, more spectacle to get more viewers.

Gort posted:

I wonder if this is less "Republicans are supporting the wall more" and more "People who don't support the wall are identifying as Republican less".

Apropos:

https://twitter.com/simonwdc/status/1084449351135649793?s=21

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 13, 2019

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Endorph posted:

the first one of these is a woman dressed up as the wendy's logo

50000 years of evolution

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

BigglesSWE posted:

I wish we’d have transcripts of every republican politicians thoughts when they saw Trump, in front of rolling cameras, indisputably and unambiguously claim the shutdown as his own.
We already have video of Rashida Tlaib saying what they thought.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Uh oh

https://twitter.com/conorsen/status/1084457309143793664

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gort posted:

It's hard to tell? gallup data has no chart, making my own graph out of it it kinda looks like it changes randomly in no direction

Also this chart goes in opposite time direction, I guess

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 13, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Holy poo poo, he finally did it. How do you gently caress up this bad.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I haven’t seen it discussed here but has anyone brought up college loans and the shutdown? Personally my school is being pretty chill and just giving those who ask an extension to pay until the loans are processed. BUT, the catch there is that any disbursement of living expenses to students is delayed until then as well. Anyone else heard more details here?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://twitter.com/WorkersSpatula/status/1084131645492465664

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

So he's gone from +15 to -2 with chuds in one month? drat. Where's the impeachment speed run image?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SirPablo posted:

So he's gone from +15 to -2 with chuds in one month? drat. Where's the impeachment speed run image?

With this kinda poo poo, makes me wonder how low will the polls go.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

WHEN SHE, HERSELF IS MADE OF RAMEN POTS

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

With this kinda poo poo, makes me wonder how low will the polls go.

Wait till SNAP runs out. Then you’ll see some serious poo poo.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SirPablo posted:

So he's gone from +15 to -2 with chuds in one month? drat.

I love how this thread went on and on form months about trump being an unbeatable god who could never lose because his powerful base would never abandon him no matter what. Then kinda just, meh, he turned out not to actually be special at all.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

You're a bad person for getting my hopes up that that actually happened. :colbert:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The GOP are in an insanely precarious spot. I’m not sure they can just wait until he’s underwater enough and then distance themselves. I don’t believe his base switching from approve to disapprove is them changing their beliefs, just getting angry that Trump hasn’t delivered enough pain to the people they thought he’d be hurting.

If the GOP tries to use this to repudiate Trump’s message as part of a push back against the non-dog-whistle hard turn into white nationalism recently I don’t think it’ll go over well. Republicans want outright aggression and oppression against those they feel have aggrieved them by simply existing. That isn’t going away.

So they need to find someone who can pretend to be a white supremacy true believer here to save the white working class, but will continue to practice of handing as much as possible to the wealthy.

I’m hoping since we’re forcing the “are republicans racists?” discussion into the mainstream it will prevent anyone like that from making it through a primary. They are going to be asked about Steve King and Trump’s crazy racist poo poo, and if they equivocate it’ll be a line of attack from the far right. If they embrace white nationalism it’ll validate the “republicans are racists” sentiment finally coming to the surface.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I mean that's the only demographic left with space left to increase in disapproval so it's not very surprising

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1084464695904530432

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I'm more concerned that Mueller will drop some legit horrible poo poo and we'll still have the shutdown going on. And Dems in the House haven't even started to peel the layers of stink back. poo poo's gonna get wild.

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
https://twitter.com/natashabertrand/status/1084461317988278273?s=21

This seems kinda big?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jealous Cow posted:

The GOP are in an insanely precarious spot. I’m not sure they can just wait until he’s underwater enough and then distance themselves. I don’t believe his base switching from approve to disapprove is them changing their beliefs, just getting angry that Trump hasn’t delivered enough pain to the people they thought he’d be hurting.

If the GOP tries to use this to repudiate Trump’s message as part of a push back against the non-dog-whistle hard turn into white nationalism recently I don’t think it’ll go over well. Republicans want outright aggression and oppression against those they feel have aggrieved them by simply existing. That isn’t going away.

So they need to find someone who can pretend to be a white supremacy true believer here to save the white working class, but will continue to practice of handing as much as possible to the wealthy.

I’m hoping since we’re forcing the “are republicans racists?” discussion into the mainstream it will prevent anyone like that from making it through a primary. They are going to be asked about Steve King and Trump’s crazy racist poo poo, and if they equivocate it’ll be a line of attack from the far right. If they embrace white nationalism it’ll validate the “republicans are racists” sentiment finally coming to the surface.

I'm really looking forward to hearing them making the calculation in real time of whether they should say "Trump was a horrible mistake, let's restate our party's goals as having nothing to do with what he championed" and losing all his base, or whether they should keep pressing for walls and tariffs and the destruction of the federal government and having to do so without Trump's crazy-person populism to make it palatable to the news media

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I love how this thread went on and on form months about trump being an unbeatable god who could never lose because his powerful base would never abandon him no matter what. Then kinda just, meh, he turned out not to actually be special at all.

We love how every other post you make starts off with a smug-rear end "I love how this thread..."

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wait till SNAP runs out. Then you’ll see some serious poo poo.

https://twitter.com/SecretarySonny/status/1082789948657414144

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What is that article that tweet is responding to? Does that person even know what empathy means?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Oh boy so this is his new attempt to find an exit.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

This, while strictly speaking, better than the alternative of having no plan, is making some very scary assumptions. Also, it looks like the states have control of whether or not it actually works. Considering the insanity of some red governments, which mind you, will be the worst hit by denial, I can't help but see someone doing the idiot thing and turning down the funding.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I hope the Trump administration discredits all the "I want a president who'll run the country like a business" types forever.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Apparently they're trying to issue Feb benefits early, but I wonder whether that will make much difference at all. The amounts provided are already pretty inadequate, so it wouldn't make sense for people not to use them immediately when they become available. That still leaves recipients without money by the usual time they receive them.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

I'm really looking forward to hearing them making the calculation in real time of whether they should say "Trump was a horrible mistake, let's restate our party's goals as having nothing to do with what he championed" and losing all his base, or whether they should keep pressing for walls and tariffs and the destruction of the federal government and having to do so without Trump's crazy-person populism to make it palatable to the news media

I think they had an opportunity to build a new centrist party that peddled platitudes on social issues but went full Reganomics, maybe even with a unity ticket, but i think that time has passed.

Democrats are identifying as more progressive than ever, and there is majority support for things like Medicare for all that a centrist party just wouldn’t support.

I think we’ll see an attempt though. They will see if they can jettison the 20-30% hardcore racists and cobble together center left and center right “mild racists” into a new party where we return to the decorous status quo while doing some half-measures on healthcare like Andy Slavitt’s US of Care garbage.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Zero chance this isn’t some poorly thought out half measure.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh boy so this is his new attempt to find an exit.

i'm sure the fact that he is the one that blew up DACA negotiations and said, over and over again, there was no reason to do it while it's in court, won't matter at all

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1084465310848163840 https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1084466503574016006 New tweets.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

He’s so mad that he’s not golfing. It’s awesome lol

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

At some point they will run out of tricks and people will stop working for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Zero chance this isn’t some poorly thought out half measure.

Having read it, it's less poorly thought out half measure and more complete desperation move that lets republican-controlled states choose whether or not they want people to die

I don't even know if that's worse or not.