Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There’s an x800 v2 coming soon, the main differentiators are it plays niche formats like SACD and DVD-audio. It’ll cost more than the 700.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
“Bug Game” sales are live at bestbuy. TCL 6 series 65” is back to $800, same as Thanksgiving.

They also added a listing for the new 75” 6 series, but the last 10 inches costs a $1000 premium.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

No further discounts on the x900f though. Maybe that will change in another week.

The price on that tcl though is really making me question just going with that instead.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

“Bug Game” sales are live at bestbuy. TCL 6 series 65” is back to $800, same as Thanksgiving.

They also added a listing for the new 75” 6 series, but the last 10 inches costs a $1000 premium.

Perfect timing :c00l:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Luckily Amazon had an inexpensive tabletop VESA mount that will be delivered today. I didn’t want to buy a new piece of furniture for the tv. I’ll be picking up my new TCL this afternoon m. I’ll hold off on the UHD player for a bit as the first UHD disk I plan on purchasing is Shin Godzilla and I won’t be getting that until next month.

So I’ve never used Roku before. Do I use that to sign in to my Netflix/Amazon Prime/HBO accounts and use it like a portal?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Roku has apps. You get apps for your services.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ok groovy, thank you. Ok last thing: for the settings should I use the ones on the Rtings website to make sure the picture doesn't look like oversmoothed garbage?

Man UHD disks are priced high still on the couple movies I'm looking for (Black Panther and Fury Road). I guess I've been spoiled by cheapass disks.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Things that are listed as on/off tend to be fine to follow for the most part. It’s usually turning off motion smoothing and other artificial crap.

Things that are listed on a scale are a starting point. Every room is different and every panel differs slightly too.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ok groovy, thank you. Ok last thing: for the settings should I use the ones on the Rtings website to make sure the picture doesn't look like oversmoothed garbage?

Man UHD disks are priced high still on the couple movies I'm looking for (Black Panther and Fury Road). I guess I've been spoiled by cheapass disks.
BP, new, sealed, complete with slipcover, $19.09
BP without slipcover and possibly no code, $12.50 shipped
BP 4k disc, no Blu-ray or code, but does include packaging and slipcover, $13.88

I could go on but yeah, just hunt around!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ah dang I never thought of things like ebay for disks.

I just realized that one of my cats is going to be disappointed with my tv choice because he loves laying in front of my plasma because that thing projects a lot of heat. Of course it led to me watching movies like this a lot.

Gao~ by Doug Hardy, on Flickr

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
The LG C8 55inch is back to its lowest price ever on amazon. What will i missing on it if i don't wait for the 2019 model?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

fyallm posted:

The LG C8 55inch is back to its lowest price ever on amazon. What will i missing on it if i don't wait for the 2019 model?

Alexa support and Apple Homekit.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Alexa support and Apple Homekit.

That's all? I don't have alexa and no apple anything. There isn't any HDMI upgrades or anything?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

fyallm posted:

That's all? I don't have alexa and no apple anything. There isn't any HDMI upgrades or anything?

It supposedly supports VRR

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

fyallm posted:

Oh poo poo, yeah I forgot. HDMI 2.1 and full 120hz refresh rate. Sorry

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

The more I look at tv prices I realize guys, if we could add two inches for $1000 we'd do it

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

codo27 posted:

The more I look at tv prices I realize guys, if we could add two inches for $1000 we'd do it

lmao

Oops, I read the wrong TV's box dimensions from the BB site* and of course it was too big for my drat car, so delivery on Tuesday instead of having it home tonight. It'll give me more time to get things ready at least.

*I had both the 55" and 65" pages open from earlier as I was going to decide between the two and of course I read the dimensions for the 55" to measure if it would fit in my hatchback :v:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I ended up cancelling my Best Buy order for the 65r615 and ordering the 65r617 from Target.

Target wouldn’t price match Best Buy down to $800 due to the sku difference, but the Target Card discount brings $850 down to $807.

$7 more at Target and getting the better RF remote seemed worth it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Another reason Canada is a consumer wasteland. "Lol target wtf is this poo poo? Good products at good prices? gently caress that. I wanna pay 2 million for my igloo liners" man I miss target

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Something Offal posted:

The LG marketing stock image is pretty funny. Is there any country in the world that uses dollars as currency but commas instead of periods in the notation?

Special day event!

quebec

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The dollar sign would come after the number in Quebec no?

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/tcl-8-series-8k-qled-roku-tv

And here I can still only get 1080i through cable.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Dang, I was crossing my fingers that the soup or bowl deal on the 55” R615 would be better than the sale a couple weeks ago. $500 is still a wee bit much for my just-bought-a-house budget, but I was hoping to really leverage my Xbone X when Anthem comes out.

I’ve seen that yearly price history graph, so I know prices usually drop later in the spring as new model gains traction. But TCL technically didn’t announce a new series at CES - just that larger size of the 6 series. Do you think that’ll buck the trend and keep the 6 series at a higher price for longer?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Oh poo poo, yeah I forgot. HDMI 2.1 and full 120hz refresh rate. Sorry

Going to sound really stupid, but what is HDMI 2.1? Is it a faster speed? Better picture? I really don't know anything

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

fyallm posted:

Going to sound really stupid, but what is HDMI 2.1? Is it a faster speed? Better picture? I really don't know anything
More bandwidth, which at the moment really only applies to higher refresh rates of 4K video.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The more important thing is

MagusDraco posted:

Which is a huge thing for gaming

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MagusDraco posted:

FINALLY

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fyallm posted:

Not just more bandwidth, but a move to a packet-based format like DisplayPort uses. This makes VRR more straightforward and makes it easier to support additional features compared to the way previous versions move data.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

no not that one, THAT ONE

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

fyallm posted:

10k res @ 120hz

Because gently caress yeah why not!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I just got a LG C8. I have a receiver that I currently use to connect my PS3 (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu) and Chromecast video streams to the TV while the receiver handles the audio to my 5.1 setup.

How good is the LG smart TV stuff and will it spy on me more than Sony does already?

Also if I were to use the TV apps how do I run the audio out to the receiver? HDMI?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would actually rate WebOS only behind Roku as far as smart TV systems go. Yeah, you would just use ARC to the receiver.

You really don't want to be using the PS3 to stream Netflix or Amazon since you wouldn't get UHD that way.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I would actually rate WebOS only behind Roku as far as smart TV systems go. Yeah, you would just use ARC to the receiver.

You really don't want to be using the PS3 to stream Netflix or Amazon since you wouldn't get UHD that way.

Sounds great I'll mess with trying to sort that out tomorrow.

I was wondering about that, I knew the PS3 wouldn't play 4K discs but didn't know about streaming. Thanks for the info.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

eddiewalker posted:

It's 10" but it's 33% more screen. Of course, if you buy two 65s that's 100% more screen...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
LG's upcoming rollable OLED looks really sweet, and will probably be insane price-wise, but what I'm really excited for is the future potential of a screen that will dynamically conform to the aspect ratio of whatever content you watch. No more black bars, but in a good way.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah non-fixed AR is definitely a really cool thing. OLED blacks being as good as they are means the bars don't really bug me so much, but eliminating them is definitely a step forward.

Although I'm having mental images of a TV that adjusts itself based on sensing A/R going ballistic when you play a movie that has IMAX scenes inserted that use up the full frame, and possibly catching fire if you try to watch The Grand Budapest Hotel (which had enough AR switching that the projector at the cinema I saw it at just loving gave up and projected everything incorrectly after about 15 minutes, which was painful).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This sort of slipped by the thread, Hisense showed off some out of box thinking

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engadget.com/amp/2019/01/07/hisense-ces-2019/

So, it's a 4k RGB lcd in front with a 1080p grayscale lcd behind, and then local dimming for a full array backlight.

The idea is that the 1080p grayscale display helps block out bloom from the local dimming of the backlight, getting you deeper blacks. Not a bad idea in theory, wonder if it really works out that well.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Grand Budapest Hotel (which had enough AR switching that the projector at the cinema I saw it at just loving gave up and projected everything incorrectly after about 15 minutes, which was painful).
What a stupid motherfucker.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Got my TCL 65R615 from Best Buy delivered and set up and holy poo poo this thing is an insane upgrade from my ~12 year old 45" Plasma.

I found how to turn of motion smoothing (apparently you have to have a video stream actively on to get to this setting) but I found there are also "Natural Cinema" and "LED Motion Clarity" settings... what exactly do these do and should I just turn them off?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Got my TCL 65R615 from Best Buy delivered and set up and holy poo poo this thing is an insane upgrade from my ~12 year old 45" Plasma.

I found how to turn of motion smoothing (apparently you have to have a video stream actively on to get to this setting) but I found there are also "Natural Cinema" and "LED Motion Clarity" settings... what exactly do these do and should I just turn them off?

The answer is: make everything look like poo poo. And yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

from the rtings guide

quote:

Natural Cinema is the option which enables the TCL's judder reduction feature. We leave it off for our calibration, but turning it on will remove judder from 24p content (movies usually) played from non native-24p sources such as a cable box, or even from the built-in apps.

LED Motion Clarity is the R617 and 615's new black frame insertion feature. We recommend leaving this off as it introduces flicker, but you can turn it on if 60 fps stutter bothers you.