Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

He’s right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Phlegmish posted:

In the US almost half the population, or something stupid like that, believes in creationism, but to be fair to them those people don't usually get asked as keynote speakers to scientific conferences

They just get elected to Congress and serve on science related boards and make policy based on "science"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.newsweek.com/florida-edm-k9-jake-overdose-narcan-cruise-ship-holy-ship-festival-norwegian-1287759

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TOP STORY

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jojoinnit posted:

Still cached for me I guess:

thanks! gently caress the drunk lorry driver tho

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

SHOW US THE DUCK

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

SHOW US THE DUCK

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
We regret to inform you the duck is racist.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

aardwolf posted:

We regret to inform you the duck is racist.

“Rapist.” The duck is a rapist.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxBDUU_DDd8

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Krankenstyle posted:

even in denmark where nobody goes to church except for christmas, its more than 30% who answer yes to a belief in creationism.

Yeah but is that the "god created the universe at the beginning of time" creationism or the "god created the earth 5000 years ago and put the dinosaur skeletons in the ground just to gently caress with us" creationism?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

They just get elected to Congress and serve on science related boards and make policy based on "science"

The current government has ties to a right wing Hindu religious group, according to the article, but even they haven't managed to affect the government policies just yet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

SHOW US THE DUCK

It's just a regular mandarin duck and Canadians are easily impressed. By ducks. We are a simple folk.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/birders-burnaby-mandarin-duck-sighting-john-priessl-photos-lower-mainland/122264/

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's just a regular mandarin duck and Canadians are easily impressed. By ducks. We are a simple folk.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/birders-burnaby-mandarin-duck-sighting-john-priessl-photos-lower-mainland/122264/

New York City dwellers are also unreasonably excited about the Central Park Mandarin Duck.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

TBH that's one sweet-rear end duck.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

cyberbug posted:

Yeah but is that the "god created the universe at the beginning of time" creationism or the "god created the earth 5000 years ago and put the dinosaur skeletons in the ground just to gently caress with us" creationism?
Creationism is pretty explicitly the latter. Like at Catholic school in the 90s we were told that creationism wasn't supported by the Bible and to not identify as creationists.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

The MSJ posted:

The current government has ties to a right wing Hindu religious group, according to the article, but even they haven't managed to affect the government policies just yet.

I was talking about America.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Terrible Opinions posted:

Creationism is pretty explicitly the latter. Like at Catholic school in the 90s we were told that creationism wasn't supported by the Bible and to not identify as creationists.

I think that's "creationism" as shorthand for "young earth creationism."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you’re going to take the Bible literally, go all‐out with geocentrism, IMO.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Platystemon posted:

If you’re going to take the Bible literally, go all‐out with geocentrism, IMO.

Galileo Galilei died for your sins

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

I was talking about America.

I know. Just pointing out it's not as bad yet in India.

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Jan 13, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think that's "creationism" as shorthand for "young earth creationism."

Yeah, a lot of people use it that way but unless you specify "creationism" can just refer to the idea that god created the world at some point. Anyone who believes that god created the Earth 4.5 billion years ago and set evolution going so as to lead eventually to the arrival of humans is a creationist, just not a young Earth creationist.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Controversial TV chef Pete Evans says person he admires most is himself

Fiona Byrne posted:

An advocate of the paleo diet and lifestyle, Evans has attracted criticism for his claims about autism, calcium, fluoride, fasting and even staring at the sun...

Pete Evans posted:

My wife and I do tea most mornings. ... We drink probably 500ml to a litre of beautiful black tea from with Taiwan or China and it is a beautiful ceremony. We do that at sunrise which is beautiful.

Who do you admire the most?

Pete Evans posted:

Myself. If we can’t be inspired by our own self, if we cannot admire ourselves, … if you cannot start by loving yourself, then how can you love others? I had a friend say, “you can’t say that in mainstream media, people will think you are a f---wit.” I go, “But it is the truth?”

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

quote:

Garth Marenghi: When I pray, and sometimes I do, I pray to myself. I pray that I can pull myself through. And if I’m lucky, I answer myself.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

quote:

An advocate of the paleo diet and lifestyle, Evans has attracted criticism for his claims about autism, calcium, fluoride, fasting and even staring at the sun...

He also co-authored a kids cookbook with recipes that were potentially deadly for babies.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

a recipe for DIY baby milk formula, made from liver and bone broth, contained 10 times the maximum safe daily intake of vitamin A for babies.

:stare:

I was expecting something like “honey” or “high-risk allergens”.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I kind of forgot that people might not know who Pete Evans is.

Wikipedia posted:

Evans' championing of alternative medicines & activated almonds has attracted criticism from peak medical bodies throughout Australia. In particular his support for the paleo diet has brought about criticism from the public. Evans has stated that he completed an online course with the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, and describes himself as a "health coach" rather than a dietitian.

In 2015, Evans co-authored a cookbook titled Bubba Yum Yum: The Paleo Way for New Mums, Babies and Toddlers which raised controversy after being called "extremely deadly for all babies" by health experts. Despite the controversy, My Kitchen Rules broadcaster the Seven Network claimed that public reactions to the event were not a concern, and supported Evans. Following the controversy, the authors made severe changes to the book.

Evans won the Australian Skeptics 2015 Bent Spoon Award for "his diet promotions, campaigns against fluoridation and support of anti-vaccinationists."

In 2016, Evans gave advice to an osteoporosis sufferer on Facebook to stop eating dairy products. His claims that the "calcium from dairy can remove the calcium from your bones" and that "most doctors do not know about this" were widely condemned by medical professionals.

Evans is opposed to fluoridation of drinking water, and considers ingredients in many sunscreen products to be toxic.

High profile Australian medical experts have warned about the grave dangers of following Evans' advice, including the President of the Australian Medical Association Michael Gannon, Host of Embarrassing Bodies Down Under Dr Brad McKay, and obstetrician Dr Brad Robinson.

In 2018, Evans furthered his opposition to the use of sunscreens in 2016, and opting for brief and direct looks into the sun, without any means of protection, during sunrise and sunsets, which drew criticism as it can still cause vision loss.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

I know this guy, used to be a regular at his old restaurant. If I still lived in Norwich I'd definitely be checking out his hilarious illegal home restaurant

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sounds like he could be a politician.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I go, “But it is the truth?”

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm going to say that if you're idiotic enough to follow this dude's advice, you probably deserve all the bad things that happen to you. Not your baby though, that's always the problem

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I'd heard the "cow's milk leaches calcium from bones" thing before and just didn't know what to say. Who comes up with this poo poo?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
We're all inbetween the milk crazies. On the right are the ones chugging gallons of whole milk a day while to our left are the ones claiming it vampires our own calcium.

Why are people so obsessed with milk?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I think it mutated from "milk is not a great source of calcium, eat your greens" which is perfectly reasonable.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
You should drink fermented buttermilk, builds some character and is great for your guts and bones too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

NEO to Develop the World's First Blockchain-based Girlfriend

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I had to fry 3 graphics cards to get her but my bae is worth it

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Gotta solve the double dating problem first, then implement secure nuptial contracts

God those jokes sucked someone get me rewrite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Tiggum posted:

I kind of forgot that people might not know who Pete Evans is.

Tag yourself, I'm "activated almonds"