Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Improbable Lobster posted:

rip in peas anthonypants

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The University has just set up a new base near a monolith (2-2-2), rendering our forces practically invincible.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

ill meet you at Ligma Falls. lasers at dawn, you son of a bitch

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

the last planetary council election was held in 2137 and the current year is 2157, which means that the 20-year timer on planetary governor elections expires imminently. i propose that we elect a new governor, for the following reasons:
- the bonus commerce income is significant, and could be destabilizing if one faction has exclusive access for a long time.
- awarding one of the lower-ranked factions governorship is a good way to keep the playing field level-ish as the mission progresses.
- someone else should get a chance to take a look at that sweet global infiltrator data.

with this in mind, i will call an election at the next opportunity, and i will endorse the Pirates (forums poster Smoka), the Drones (forums poster Improbable Lobster), or the Hive (forums poster Pile of Garbage).

worth noting that anthonypants, a.k.a Colonel Santiago of the Spartans, has been banned from the forums thanks to a dubious election toxx, so special comms arrangements will be needed for electioneering shenanigans.

i will endorse the Gaians (forums poster Glorgnole) who are most amenable to trade, the Drones (forums poster Improbable Lobster) whom with i happily coinhabit this tiny island with and the Spartans (forums poster anthonypants) who provide us strength in these trying times.

that said i am open to convincing with bribes "gifts" :getin:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
as pirate I only support the free drones, and their commitment to the working people

never support the human hive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U9-kn1DMf0

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I was going to give the free dones a money gift, but I got hosed by sea worms and had to spend it on defence

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
pirates got this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzUVEO6sw0A

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

anthonypants, via phone from D&D cat prison, posted:

Wow. Twenty years, gone in the blink of an instant. Weren't they good years? And, certainly, we've all done well under Colonel Corazón Santiago's mighty leadership. I think it's important to make sure these good times continue. Don't you? And that's why I'm going to vote for my friend, and yours, Colonel Corazón Santiago. After all...who else can you trust?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

WU-TANG FOREVER

also managed to fix up my issues with drone riots by re-homing units between bases to balance out supply costs. also decided to disband a loose scout patrol, goonspeed men!

oh and i just now noticed the Drones' new base on the east of the island there. as a big fan of D&B i heartily approve the name!

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 16, 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
awh man I wanna be sparta

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

well you might be able to play as the Spartans in the next round which should take place IN TWO TO THREE YEARS!!!

alternatively, cc Glorgnole, if there's enough interest maybe we could run a second game? someone else running it instead of yourself of course, you're already busting twelve nuts keeping us in check! idk just spitballing

edit: also glorg did heaps on generating and testing a good world for us. HAIL GLORG

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 16, 2019

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i bring word from the front via imprisoned poster anthonypants:

https://twitter.com/anthonypants/status/1085672701887361024

could we see our first player-on-player conflict???

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

looks like your eligible candidates are me and smoka, since we're tied for largest population

alright buddy, you have two options here. you can vote for svensgaard, or you can vote for deirdre. those are your two choices, choose wisely. so what's it gonna be, huh, huh? a svensgaard? (svennn) or a deirdre? (deirddd)

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i have three laser foils out exploring the ocean, and at the start of this turn they were all poised to open unity pods. the one to the west found a sonar mapping pod, which is very boring compared to what happened to the other two.

it's a very good idea to have at least three moves left when you open an ocean unity pod. moving into the pod's tile takes one of them, and the if something nasty is in the pod your guys get all flustered and use up a second move...

...so you need the third move to try to capture the nasty thing before it eats you.

the third foil found a mapping pod, then randomly encountered and managed to capture a sealurk!

naturally i got caught up in the thrill of the moment and ignored my own advice so now that foil is about to be messily devoured.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

here's the Gaian platform for planetary governor:

- maximum transparency: if i can see it, you can all see it too. i'll take requests from the thread so if there's something in particular you're interested in file a FOIA request.
- scientific cooperation: if i have it, you can have it too unless it's Doctrine: Air Power. i hope you'll find it within your heart to reciprocate :shobon:
- in return i ask that you keep our planet clean and peaceful.
- there will be adequate nutrients.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i am pro-Gaians, everyone should be pro-Gaians!

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
im gaian

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

limaCAT posted:

im gaian

i wanted to post this

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

limaCAT posted:

im gaian

I too am gaian

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

limaCAT posted:

im gaian

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

update from imprisoned poster anthonypants:

https://twitter.com/anthonypants/status/1087815802802196481

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

lady deirdre is planetary governor. today, We're All Gaian :toot:

some interesting initial findings:
- if you give your units custom funy names, they do get carried along with the save file and they do display correctly for other players. use/abuse this as you will.
- i't's unclear on how the believers pulled off a 300% faction rank increase in a single turn. i was hoping that the planetary infiltrator database would hold answers but i'm still confused. they're actually technologically competitive though, which is surprising considering they have a built-in research penalty. related? i need answers!

ocean exploration continues. my foil actually survived being attacked by that isle of the deep, though it's a little dinged up now.

the commerce bonus from governorship is unexpectedly nuts (250% increase to net income :laffo:). i'm not sure how it interacts with treaties, and i'm also unclear on the underlying calculations*, but the result is that with a little tweaking i can get +5 energy per base. this gets split between economy and labs so my scientists are just going ham and my research rate is significantly improved. i think it also helps that i'm a bit behind technologically so my tech cost is pretty low.

Beats by Deirdre needs a rec commons -- i always forget to anticipate when drones will appear and i think i lose a turn's worth of productivity every time a base grows and causes a riot.

Integrity: Knob

* it has something to do with pairing off my bases with other factions' bases if they're above a certain energy income threshold. it's very mystical and obscure, just like real economics!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

regarding customisation, if you go Menu -> Network there's an option in there to customise your faction which i just discovered this turn so i am now officially Wu-Tang Hive.

also i'm now making significantly more energy/turn through commerce, thanks m'lday :P

oh and didn't believers complete weather paradigm?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
thanks for voting for me, but I'm not a pig narc landlubber. I will remember everyone who had the cojones to vote for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzUVEO6sw0A

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Pile Of Garbage posted:

regarding customisation, if you go Menu -> Network there's an option in there to customise your faction which i just discovered this turn so i am now officially Wu-Tang Hive.

also i'm now making significantly more energy/turn through commerce, thanks m'lday :P

I didn’t get a message

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

the weather paradigm doesn't show up in the "who's built secret projects" list so no one (believers or otherwise) has completed it yet

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

the weather paradigm doesn't show up in the "who's built secret projects" list so no one (believers or otherwise) has completed it yet

they would have had to start it from the very beginning turn to get it now anyway

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SmokaDustbowl posted:

they would have had to start it from the very beginning turn to get it now anyway

That's the pro move though. You never start a secret project unless you can finish it that turn.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

heads up for the hive and drones -- you may meet some mind worms very soon. sorry that my boats are so wimpy. (on the plus side, that ocean is all yours for the foreseeable future!)

all's quiet on the home front. one interesting thing that i've learned: if you have PARADIGM ECONOMY through social engineering you can divert all your energy to research without any penalty.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

heads up for the hive and drones -- you may meet some mind worms very soon. sorry that my boats are so wimpy. (on the plus side, that ocean is all yours for the foreseeable future!)

well poo poo, if it took down your laser synthmetal ship it'll probably make mincemeat of the even crummier ship i'm building at that base there...

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
weapons dont matter when it comes to psi units-morale trumps all

building naval units at a base that has a naval yard/bioenhancement center would dramatically improve your chances against the isle of the deep

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

weapons dont matter when it comes to psi units-morale trumps all

building naval units at a base that has a naval yard/bioenhancement center would dramatically improve your chances against the isle of the deep

i have neither of those so i think i may dodge that isle for the time being. i've made sure to up the morale of all my base defence units at local monoliths so i should be safe when the worms start coming ashore. also i'm hive so free perimeter defence, word.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i have neither of those so i think i may dodge that isle for the time being. i've made sure to up the morale of all my base defence units at local monoliths so i should be safe when the worms start coming ashore. also i'm hive so free perimeter defence, word.

I’m pretty sure perimeter defense doesn’t matter either

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Pile Of Garbage posted:

word up

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

welp, that Isle of the Deep off the coast of Severe Punishment managed to destroy my first naval unit which sucks lol. the odds were 4:5 and i managed to damage it to 50% but it still blew me up.

i did kill that Mindworm that came ashore though which is good i guess...

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

welp, that Isle of the Deep off the coast of Severe Punishment managed to destroy my first naval unit which sucks lol. the odds were 4:5 and i managed to damage it to 50% but it still blew me up.

:brainworms: :toot:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

diplomacy! :woop:

this is mostly for the progress bar chart and graph, though some things that i did recently include:
- built a recon rover
- built a sensor array (to spy on the worms)
- started building a mine
- working on leveling a rocky square

hopefully i will discover a new tech next turn!

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

also i was on my phone when i first saw this and i missed the 1st paragraph somehow. lol that does suck. it's like the Moby Dick of isles of the deep.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Glorgnole posted:

hopefully i will discover a new tech next turn!

Something that really bothers me about your base placements is that you are totally wasting the extra minerals of the Garland Crater. I thnk only Ligma Falls is getting like 2 squares with +1 minerals.

Whereas this guy is getting 9 squares (not sure if the base square counts, maybe) of +1 energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Something that really bothers me about your base placements is that you are totally wasting the extra minerals of the Garland Crater. I thnk only Ligma Falls is getting like 2 squares with +1 minerals.

Whereas this guy is getting 9 squares (not sure if the base square counts, maybe) of +1 energy.

picture yourself as a weary colonist on a hardscrabble-rear end planet. the last group of folks you sent out in a colony convoy had their brains eaten by the locals. the most current survey data shows that your little peninsula looks like this:
where are you going to send your buddies to take another crack at building a new base? will it be Wormburg Crater, population 60 million? not likely.

it's mostly a "haven't gotten around to it yet" thing. i'd need to clear out the crater to maximize usefulness (7/9ths of the area with the bonus is covered by fungus and worms!), which would be expensive both in terms of former actions to clear the fungus and in losses to (wimpy gaian pacifist) military units to get rid of the spore tower. also i prioritized establishing coastal bases to open up access to more unity pods and sea bases because it's very lame to be stuck on a little continent, and there isn't a way to place a coastal base that snags a currently-accessible portion of the crater's mineral bonus. Ligma Falls is sited to maximize access to energy, since rivers provide an energy bonus which stacks with base tile production and forests.

Glorgnole fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 2, 2019