Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As hard as Morrowind was to run on computer, how the hell did Xbox run it? Was the game set to the lowest draw distance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

yes and for any further questions on the matter let me answer with yes

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

chaosapiant posted:

As hard as Morrowind was to run on computer, how the hell did Xbox run it? Was the game set to the lowest draw distance?

compared with a contemporaneous computer of the time, the only real difference was the load times. which, in fairness, were fuckin insane on xbox.

the aforementioned save file bloating was also a huge problem on xbox and even things like leaving too many doors opened added a lot to save file size, hence my nervous habit of closing every single door when i play morrowind even today on my modern gaming pc lol

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

someone i know told me recently she only prefers to play morrowind on the xbox and i was just like man that's so hosed up

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

hence my nervous habit of closing every single door when i play morrowind even today on my modern gaming pc lol

You and me both brother

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

compared with a contemporaneous computer of the time, the only real difference was the load times. which, in fairness, were fuckin insane on xbox.

The Xbox version was actual reinstalling the entire game to memory every time you booted it up which is why the initial load was loving heinous.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

kazr posted:

This is all men want and it makes me SICK

*cracks knuckles* :getin:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lightningproof posted:

First time I beat Morrowind was last year, on a sofa in front of a big TV, with a Steam controller (it's the best I could do). It was: fantastic.

same except I never beat it

mostly xbox controls but I rigged up the same trigger that stabs so by tapping it you could pull ur weapon out or put it away. Also have autorun and poo poo like that cause gently caress cranking the stick up till it breaks off before you get to balmora

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

dude i clocked like 700 hours on the xbox goty edition. i played it so much the save stopped being able to load because the file size got too big. didn't have the money for a decent pc for the time and my pc itself was a lovely emachines, no choice.

and these days my right wrist sucks so bad that i have literally switched to doing most things left handed, even writing, so yeah i vastly favor controllers on morrowind and most other pc games these days when possible.

extremely same

chaosapiant posted:

it was hosed. You better remember intervention cause there's no fixme lol
I remember getting damaged to 0 str and even though I killed the enemies I couldn't make it home because even taking my pants off and throwing them on the ground I was too weak to walk

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the aforementioned save file bloating was also a huge problem on xbox and even things like leaving too many doors opened added a lot to save file size, hence my nervous habit of closing every single door when i play morrowind even today on my modern gaming pc lol

:hmmyes:
last time I played I made sure to shut the doors and never touch anything placed in the world that I wasn't planning on using

Nohman posted:

The Xbox version was actual reinstalling the entire game to memory every time you booted it up which is why the initial load was loving heinous.

lmao no fuckin way

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Holy poo poo did I play a lot of non-GOTY Morrowind on the Xbox. And thankfully I was young enough that I didn't even notice the load times, but that might have been because we had a :filez: Xbox and had it installed on the hard drive?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Leal posted:

Any good business mods where I put in my wealth to acquire more wealth? I got the farm mod but want more businesses.

Businesses? Not sure. But there's a bank mod where you can just stash gold and come back later to find exponentially more gold.

edit: Another bank mod, one that I think is of more recent construction and may have a less insane APY.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 13, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Nohman posted:

Only if you'd launched three other titles, I assume, that's how the three cache partitions worked.

Oh who am I kidding, it's Bethesda. It probably did whatever the gently caress it wanted.

That said it still ran better there than my PC at the time did and if you were modded you could load some mods as long as you weren't gonna hit the RAM limit. Better bodies/heads worked well enough.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

There's a couple other business mods, look up the empirical guide to morrowind.

e:
And yes it's been last updated 12 years ago, what of it.

I'm not joking it's quite good.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 13, 2019

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

jit bull transpile posted:

It is heathen and sacrilege to play this game with a controller. Pervert.

i don’t even know how you would start on the pc version, since the UI is so tailored to mouse+keyboard. the newer games where they stopped bothering to make an optimised interface are absolutely better with a controller tho.

maybe it’s better with some ui mods to get it closer to the xbox version idk

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's very vintage internet.

I never did install those fonts, so no idea what they are meant to look like.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

weirdly enough the pc version has hardcoded analog control (moving distance based on how hard you press / how far you tilt the stick). many modern pc games don't even have that.

I don't know how to enable it in the ini but it's there, and you can joy2key it

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

While we're on this topic, I'd like to recommend AntiMicro for this purpose. It's what I use. I've never gotten Xpadder to work, but AntiMicro does and it's free.

Private Speech posted:

It's very vintage internet.

I never did install those fonts, so no idea what they are meant to look like.

Not quite as vintage as... *checks notes* Beanie Babies. :smug:

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 13, 2019

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

weirdly enough the pc version has hardcoded analog control (moving distance based on how hard you press / how far you tilt the stick). many modern pc games don't even have that.

I don't know how to enable it in the ini but it's there, and you can joy2key it

Background Keyboard=1
Use Joystick=1
Joystick X Turns=0
; X=1, Y = 2, Z = 3, XRot = 4, YRot = 5, ZRot = 6
Joystick Look Up/Down=0
Joystick Look Left/Right=0

That's right at the top of morrowind.ini, under [General]. The default settings are different but those are what I had to set it to to enable it. I had to do this to get my controller to work, without it my left thumbstick doesn't do anything.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46283

QuickLoot 1.1

1.1 update:
-Fixed bloat issue where containers viewed but not looted acted as though they were altered.
-Now hides container tooltips by default (configurable)
-Change hotkeys in game
-Container name and lock status now in quickloot box
-Fixed bug where the menu would still be visible if targetting item on container

major QOL added, major bugfixes

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I remember getting damaged to 0 str and even though I killed the enemies I couldn't make it home because even taking my pants off and throwing them on the ground I was too weak to walk

and some people say this game is unrealistic

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

it was hosed. You better remember intervention cause there's no fixme lol

To this day I just nope past greater bonewalkers because of this exact poo poo

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
At some point in playthroughs, I make an item (usually a shirt) with eight separate Restore Attribute spells on it, just for dealing with any attribute-damaging nonsense.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

kazr posted:

To this day I just nope past greater bonewalkers because of this exact poo poo

Vavrek posted:

At some point in playthroughs, I make an item (usually a shirt) with eight separate Restore Attribute spells on it, just for dealing with any attribute-damaging nonsense.

I used to devote a lot of attention very early to dealing with The Greater Bonewalker Problem until I realized I could just...carry around some Stoneflower petals.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
used to keep a pound of stoneflower petals on me at all times just in case. Relatively lightweight and you only need enough to crawl away, if you have decent alchemy you can get away with one petal as a last fallback. Keeps your game from being unrecoverable and it's free.

aren't the weight values in morrowind really weirdly small? Like that's not a 2 lb shirt. You can't hold 200lbs at level 1.

e: gently caress totally beat

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They're Tamrielic weight units, not pounds

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I have determined that one TWU is 160/3 grams. This assumes that the common sheet of paper is one square meter in size and the highest density not considered card stock. This means that a saber is 800 grams. A dwarven claymore is 1440 grams. Most noobs will be able to carry around 10666 grams or 23lbs before being crippled by the immense weight.

Honestly it sort of adds up

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Just cast a Restore Strength spell they don't require having a high restoration skill.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just don't get hit :smug:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
A s'wit don't have enough sujamma to walk he rear end to the temple, a shameful s'wit.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guildenstern Mother posted:

A s'wit don't have enough sujamma to walk he rear end to the temple, a shameful s'wit.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Who cares about getting their strength drained when it's so high from alchemy abuse that all weapons become one time use

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
So I know this isn't an oblivion thread, but I'm kind of thinking of starting an oblivion playthrough just to say that I've done it. What mods do I need to make it not terrible?

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

How about Morroblivion?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Why not demake Oblivion in the Morrowind engine

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Doctor Zaius posted:

So I know this isn't an oblivion thread, but I'm kind of thinking of starting an oblivion playthrough just to say that I've done it. What mods do I need to make it not terrible?

uninstall it and install two worlds instead, you'll have a better time because at least that game is interestingly terrible

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Doctor Zaius posted:

Maskars makes it playable. Nothing makes it interesting.

Openmw could extensibly support oblivion esps some day which would truly be wild

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Oblivion is a good game. It's just not nearly as unique as Morrowind, it started a lot of Bethesda's bad trends, and the stuff that was uniquely good at the time has appeared in many games since. It doesn't deserve the level of hate it gets.

That said, all you really need is the unofficial patches, a UI mod, and ENBoost. Yes, it uses ENB, but it uses that force of evil for good, to make Oblivion actually a mostly stable, alt-tab capable, borderless windowed game, rather than to take a giant poo poo on the graphics and make them look worse.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

K8.0 posted:

Oblivion is a good game. It's just not nearly as unique as Morrowind, it started a lot of Bethesda's bad trends, and the stuff that was uniquely good at the time has appeared in many games since. It doesn't deserve the level of hate it gets.

That said, all you really need is the unofficial patches, a UI mod, and ENBoost. Yes, it uses ENB, but it uses that force of evil for good, to make Oblivion actually a mostly stable, alt-tab capable, borderless windowed game, rather than to take a giant poo poo on the graphics and make them look worse.

it's worse than morrowind in every single way. in some cases, extremely worse, such as the level scaling which is one of the most poorly conceived and implemented things i have ever seen in a video game. oblivion is not good, full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Oblivion got rid of levitation.