Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Look Sir Droids posted:

+1 on kid liking the classics. My 5 yo likes at least half the games on the SNES classic.

I think you can put anyone of any age in front of Mario World or Yoshi's Island and they'll like it even now. baby, grandma, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I would be more interested in what games a 5 year old wouldn’t like.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Picross?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

We have a winner.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

a lot of NES games have indeed aged poorly but there's a good reason why shitloads of SNES games like Super Metroid/FF6/Chrono Trigger are still regarded extremely well, they're just really good. I mean gently caress, a lot of devs are still chasing the bar that Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid set in terms of "metroidvania" and JRPGs.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

NetHack

Renting The Uncanny X-Men for NES when I was 4-5 years old is my earliest memory of thinking a game was complete poo poo and not worth my time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DLC Inc posted:

a lot of NES games have indeed aged poorly but there's a good reason why shitloads of SNES games like Super Metroid/FF6/Chrono Trigger are still regarded extremely well, they're just really good. I mean gently caress, a lot of devs are still chasing the bar that Chrono Trigger and Super Metroid set in terms of "metroidvania" and JRPGs.

The best ones run really well and the game design for them is surprisingly modern. Chrono Trigger feels so well paced and not at all a slog, compared to even most modern RPGs.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Your all going crazy. Take a breath, regain you’re composure, and then go back to posting you are opinions about how the Virtual Boy is responsible for the death of millions and thus Nintendo should of been bought by Donald Trump to build the Great Wall of Nintendo so Mario can shoot illegals with his loving gun that he has now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gripweed posted:

I am not a Nintendo fanboy. NES and SNES games don't hold up at all, the N64 had one of the weakest libraries of any major video game console, the Wii had maybe a couple dozen good games and the Wii U even fewer than that. The Switch is literally the second good home console Nintendo has ever made.

Pointing out that the criticisms of Nintendo you are leveling are pure flights of fancy from your imagination isn't being overly defensive.
Imagining bad things that might happen in the future based on nothing and then complaining about them is being overly negative.

This is insane lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
3 of the top 5 selling consoles of all time were actually bad. It's pretty simple you guys.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

What if everything was bad :thunk:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Oh wait everything is bad, carry on.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SNES has one of the most highly regarded libraries of all time...

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
*hastily scribbles on clipboard*

This is fascinating: when it comes to GG, people just glossed over the creepy pedo anime stuff basically forever

but one terrible take on cherished retro games/consoles later...

E: vvvv :ck5:

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 14, 2019

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

loving lol at the guy comparing liking NES games to owning slaves.

Also my dude, your argument that no one would like that type of game if it were released today is pretty drat stupid considering most of the wildly successful switch library is indie games that approximate exactly that type of experience.

Holy poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I don’t keep an obsessive tab on other posters so I have no idea what your on about

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So any news on the new Fire Em:yikes:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

KingSlime posted:

*hastily scribbles on clipboard*

This is fascinating: when it comes to GG, people just glossed over the creepy pedo anime stuff basically forever, as well as his super recent comments about jerkin' it to that twitch streamer

but one terrible take on cherished retro games/consoles later...

E: vvvv :ck5:

What the gently caress is going on in this thread when I'm not here?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I'm baffled by the twitch streamer comment

Weedle
May 31, 2006

American McGay posted:

3 of the top 5 selling consoles of all time were actually bad. It's pretty simple you guys.

That was a dumb take but let’s not pretend that sales = quality. Avatar is the top-grossing movie of all time.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I'm baffled by the twitch streamer comment

Oh poo poo I might be getting my bad posters mixed up, I'll edit that out my dude

If you can't remember posting it, it was probably def not you

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

KingSlime posted:

Oh poo poo I might be getting my bad posters mixed up, I'll edit that out my dude

If you can't remember posting it, it was probably def not you

no worries. The other day somebody accused me of having been run out of FYAD, despite the fact that I've literally never posted in FYAD ever. I guess I just have one of those faces

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
To help un-poo poo the thread a bit as opposed to the opposite for once:

So is octopath one of those games that people just sort of forgot about? I didn't get much feedback on whether running a party of 4, finishing all their stories, and then completing the remaining 4 is a good odea.

I heard that just hopping around all 8 causes a weird difficulty curve/unfun grind. For now I'm barely doing Ch. 1 for everyone so I have time to figure out what I'll do I spose

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
There’s an Octopath thread that still gets posts. I basically had a party of 3 and swapped the fourth for whomever story I was doing. Your main character can get over leveled but never bothered me. Play it however you end up preferring.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Fair enough I'll check out the thread! Now I can't decide between playing MH World or Octopath for the night...I have a precious two hours of freedom before I have to hit the sack :smith:

I do this a lot, I daydream about getting to my free time nearly every waking hour, and once I do get there I agonize over how to "best spend it," often wasting it on scrolling through dumb poo poo online instead. I guess I'm just burned out in general

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Takoluka posted:

So Nintendo might be removing compatibility for certain third-party accessories (mostly USB controllers) in a future firmware update.

I know you're joking, but they (unintentionally) did this with Biogenik brand USB LAN adapters.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Over There posted:

This loving thread

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

HenryEx posted:

Instead of dumb arguments you could give me some advice on Into The Breach because i'm p sure i got it because of this thread.

Please recommend which Squads i should unlock, i unlocked the first two or three in order (rusties, zenith and blitzkrieg) and they all seem to loving suck compared to the starter squad. Hell, i'm playing on easy and even with the reduced reinforcements i'm stuggling keeping the enemies under control with 1-damage units, trading that off for even less squad damage seems stupid. The only time easy actually felt easy was when i tried a round of custom squads where all of my units had 3 damage lasers

Do you just wanna Murder Dudes Real Good or are you more into positioning/control as the main style of play for the squad. Also what pilots do you have unlocked.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Coxswain Balls posted:

I know you're joking, but they (unintentionally) did this with Biogenik brand USB LAN adapters.

Maybe "Biogenik" should get that coveted seal of quality to get back in the game.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So how we get Karnov in smash?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

KingSlime posted:

Fair enough I'll check out the thread! Now I can't decide between playing MH World or Octopath for the night...I have a precious two hours of freedom before I have to hit the sack :smith:

I did all the stories at once subbing out for in game conversations. Everyone ended up around 56 after all but the final final boss.

Can't speak for monster Hunter but octoparh is excellent for short bursts. Each chapter has the same format of cutscenes dungeon cutscenes all do able in about 60-90 minutes. Makes for easily accessible content.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

KingSlime posted:

So is octopath one of those games that people just sort of forgot about? I didn't get much feedback on whether running a party of 4, finishing all their stories, and then completing the remaining 4 is a good odea.

I heard that just hopping around all 8 causes a weird difficulty curve/unfun grind. For now I'm barely doing Ch. 1 for everyone so I have time to figure out what I'll do I spose

The game tries to introduce different battle mechanics to you slowly, there's some things you will only see in fights during one chapter, and then it slowly gets used more and more later on. If you start doing chapter 4s without having done all the chapter 2s and 3s you will get some surprises.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

trdn89 posted:

I did. Be aware that the adapter doesn’t seeAirPods as low-latency - that kind of playback requires headphones on the APTX-LL standard. That said, the lag on AirPods is probably minimal enough that you can definitely get plenty of use out of them.

If you have APTX-LL headphones it is a gigantic must-buy; I was able to get a decent-enough pair for cheap during holiday sales, and now I can play Lumines wirelessly with zero lag on the train. The adapter itself just works; you plug it in, pair your headphones, and go. It feels like something Nintendo themselves would sell.

Thanks for all this info!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

KingSlime posted:

I spent the first section of the game switching between all the characters as I got them so I could try them all out. Once I'd got them all, It turned out that everyone except my party leader was horribly underlevelled for any of the next areas I could do. When I realised I'd need to do a bunch of grinding before I could go any further I just stopped playing.

Having characters outside the active party not gain exp in a game made in 2018 is an unforgivable sin imo, especially coming after all the quality of life features the Bravely games had.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1084645686476365824

So bayonetta is gonna appear in the shin megami tensei mobile game.

I hope she appears in smt5.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It would only be so natural to get that a "Featuring Bayonetta from the Bayonetta series" sticker on the box.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

It would only be so natural to get that a "Featuring Bayonetta from the Bayonetta series" sticker on the box.

"Featuring Bayonetta" is the new "Funky Mode" sticker photoshop

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
It's Bayonetta from Bayonetta, as opposed to Bayonetta from Smash.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
In Dead Cells, where is the exit to the Ramparts when you get the invisible platform tower spawning at the far right? I backtracked to a few towers and I came across one that needed a rune to get through, and I couldn't find any doors in the other towers. Am I missing something? I saw a tiny passage looking thing on the map under a large indoor area but when I tried jumping to it I just saw a wall then I fell into the pit and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
*Dethany from The Bayonetta Series