Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Wizard Master posted:

By the way, you're probably like me and remembering how god-awful this episode was and the lovely cameos from Venus and Serene Williams and other tennis players. Just a reminder that this episode first aired in February 2001. Sweet dreams :twisted: :twisted:

Wasn’t this the first episode that used the lovely computer animation? I remember watching it and thinking how stiff and ugly it looked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:chloe:

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

:chloe:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I've lived too long

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Somebody in the other thread it was only a matter of time before Simpsons memes made their way into the show.

Welp. Time to die.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

someone remind me why draft dodging is bad again
In the case of Trump it's also a side of "rich enough to avoid service".

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Me when S10 came on the air.

https://twitter.com/chrisaug99/status/1084626240835936257

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's heartbreaking, if real

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

simpsons need to go back to their home planet

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I really wonder why Fox bothers anymore, aside from the fact they were maybe contractually renewed through 2020 or whatever.

I don't know a single person who still watches this poo poo. It has to be barely above background noise/timeslot filler, they can't be licensing the characters out for $$$ anymore, the VAs make bank. Why?

It's a shambling corpse of something that was culturally significant. Shake up the drat leadership or let it die.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It might still sell pretty well in foreign countries, and I'm sure there's just enough merchandising to justify keeping the show on the air a little bit longer.

Fox ought to hire Joss Whedon to be showrunner so they have an excuse to cancel it.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

At least they're aware of how they used to be good.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

timing on that is all hosed up

like he instantly replies when lisa sends the text

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
Now we just need a steamed hams episode, and we're done

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Steamed Hams, except animated by the modern Simpsons animators

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
The joke is there is a Nc Donalds there because is parody and we didn't get in troble with Mc Donalds

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Captain Quack posted:

The joke is there is a Nc Donalds there because is parody and we didn't get in troble with Mc Donalds

it would 100% be called McMonalds

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
Monalds is a very good suggestion; might read a little less funny at table

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
They could use Krusty Burger, a known establishment in the Simpsons universe.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
That would imply that they care

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
I recall the Homer becomes an inventor episode, where he invents a whore-gun to apply make-up with a shotgun blast. The gun was funny, but there is a part where he jumps up to his window at night and shouts, "I'm going to become an inventor!", and a guy down on the street says, "Why don't you invent yourself some pants?" Cut to commercial. It was the first time they had ever gone to a commercial without an uproarious joke. Both me and my friend noticed it right away, since it was such a big clash with every show that had come before.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Phyzzle posted:

I recall the Homer becomes an inventor episode, where he invents a whore-gun to apply make-up with a shotgun blast. The gun was funny, but there is a part where he jumps up to his window at night and shouts, "I'm going to become an inventor!", and a guy down on the street says, "Why don't you invent yourself some pants?" Cut to commercial. It was the first time they had ever gone to a commercial without an uproarious joke. Both me and my friend noticed it right away, since it was such a big clash with every show that had come before.

Nah, Rover Hendrix is a bad enough joke even the commentary cops to it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I watched Wizard of Evergreen Terrace and 30 Minutes Over Tokyo last night. Wizard more or less holds up but suffers from being season 10 in general whereas 30 Minutes has some really solid gags and one liners but is overall very problematic.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I watched "$pringfield (or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Legalized Gambling)" last night and i still claim that this is a top five simpsons quote of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaXsQpSJ0Ik

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The animation and voice acting and scriptwriting in general when he says "I call him gamblor" is the kind of perfection that the people who poo poo out Simpsons episodes these days couldn't even imagine writing or drawing in their wildest dreams. The entire joke that Homer either had in his mind the concept of "Gamblor" or instantly made it up at that moment is so god drat golden it comes off like it wasn't written as a joke at all. That's what made the show so loving good.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

The animation and voice acting and scriptwriting in general when he says "I call him gamblor" is the kind of perfection that the people who poo poo out Simpsons episodes these days couldn't even imagine writing or drawing in their wildest dreams. The entire joke that Homer either had in his mind the concept of "Gamblor" or instantly made it up at that moment is so god drat golden it comes off like it wasn't written as a joke at all. That's what made the show so loving good.

The whole scene lasts maybe a minute and they pack in some great writing ("I'm not a state! I'm a monster!") and character too - notice how Homer wipes away a tear in sympathy for poor Lisa, knowing all too well his shortcomings, immediately turning his anger towards Marge's gambling addiction. It's sandwiched between jokes but it's a sincere moment of self-awareness and emotion that's subtle and understated.

The thing I started noticing in newer episodes is that they wouldn't let a background joke stay in the background - characters started literally reading the wacky signage out loud to the audience. Old simpsons had a bunch of background, even freeze-frame required jokes they'd pack in, so you'd always be catching something new on a rewatch. The writing feels really insecure now, like they don't have the confidence to just let a joke stand on its own, they have to really hammer it home to make sure everybody gets it, spell it out for the audience, keep doing call backs to squeeze all the life out of it.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

dracky posted:

It's sandwiched between jokes but it's a sincere moment of self-awareness and emotion that's subtle and understated.
They'd sell genuine emotional beats, and then instantly shift to glorious silliness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI49aTGvXUQ

The Simpsons was a good show!!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Chuck's gently caress n suck

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Chuck's gently caress n suck

Formerly Sneed's

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I think more people would have gotten it if it was Creed's, but "more people" would probably include the censors

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dracky posted:

The whole scene lasts maybe a minute and they pack in some great writing ("I'm not a state! I'm a monster!") and character too - notice how Homer wipes away a tear in sympathy for poor Lisa, knowing all too well his shortcomings, immediately turning his anger towards Marge's gambling addiction. It's sandwiched between jokes but it's a sincere moment of self-awareness and emotion that's subtle and understated.

The thing I started noticing in newer episodes is that they wouldn't let a background joke stay in the background - characters started literally reading the wacky signage out loud to the audience. Old simpsons had a bunch of background, even freeze-frame required jokes they'd pack in, so you'd always be catching something new on a rewatch. The writing feels really insecure now, like they don't have the confidence to just let a joke stand on its own, they have to really hammer it home to make sure everybody gets it, spell it out for the audience, keep doing call backs to squeeze all the life out of it.

You can't just have a Mapple store, Lisa has to mention it's Mapple!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Lard of the Dance still basically holds up. The A and B plots don't appear to have anything to do with one another, but they come together at the end brilliantly, which should have been obvious from the title. The celebrity guest star is just a random character and only makes a single reference to what they're actually famous for. Most of the gags and jokes are funny enough and nothing stands out as particularly egregious. But it's definitely on the downturn. Later in the season, opening acts and the A and B plots would have nothing to do with each other and celebrity guest appearances would be way too in your face.

Which brings us to When You Dish Upon a Star. It starts with a pretty good Yogi the Bear bit and then it flounders for at the lake with the parasailing sequence going on forever. The celebrities playing themselves are actually pretty funny and it hadn't been done to death at that point. But they look weird. They don't fit the aesthetic at all. And Homer is a jerk for no real reason. If only they had enforced the "no celebrity living or dead within 500 miles" court ruling, this could have just remained a weird one off. It would probably be remembered quite fondly and not as another nail going into the coffin.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

dracky posted:

The saddest Simpsons-related thing I've ever seen was when Al Jean tweeted the N&N screenshot and said "can you spot the joke?" and when someone responded that W&W's would have been a funner gag he just sort of agreed and added "the joke is in the lower right corner," referring to Homer carrying the mascot while the rest of the family had barrels of candy. I couldn't even be annoyed; the whole twitter conversation was just so sad. The Simpsons are dead and even the writers know it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The saddest Simpsons-related thing I've ever seen was when Al Jean tweeted the N&N screenshot and said "can you spot the joke?" and when someone responded that W&W's would have been a funner gag he just sort of agreed and added "the joke is in the lower right corner," referring to Homer carrying the mascot while the rest of the family had barrels of candy. I couldn't even be annoyed; the whole twitter conversation was just so sad. The Simpsons are dead and even the writers know it.

I don't even know what they were barrels of. It was liquid. Shell coloring?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I was watching some of the first season of Duckman the other day and thought of this thread.

So much of that show’s humour came from quick sight gags or references to something that you really couldn’t get away with or accomplish on a traditionally shot sitcom that it made me wonder when the emphasis on using animation to accomplish something like that shifted to it now primarily being used because it’s cheaper than filming with live actors.

Is there even an animated show on TV now that’s praised for its animation? I don’t know when the transition happened but the simpsons looks like cheap garbage whenever I see a modern clip.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Maybe Archer? It's a pretty good-looking series.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bojack Horseman is beautiful and Rick & Morty is visually very engaging.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

1500quidpoocati posted:

I was watching some of the first season of Duckman the other day and thought of this thread.

So much of that show’s humour came from quick sight gags or references to something that you really couldn’t get away with or accomplish on a traditionally shot sitcom that it made me wonder when the emphasis on using animation to accomplish something like that shifted to it now primarily being used because it’s cheaper than filming with live actors.

Is there even an animated show on TV now that’s praised for its animation? I don’t know when the transition happened but the simpsons looks like cheap garbage whenever I see a modern clip.

Venture Brothers? That gets better-looking every season and still manages to pull off the old-school cartoon look.

The weird/funny background details are all over the place, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Nah, Rover Hendrix is a bad enough joke even the commentary cops to it.

One thing that really says it all about the Golden Years is that a joke like Rover Hendrix is still kind of well known years later for being not up to scratch to their usual standards.

What other show has a joke be remembered because it was so average compared to everything else?