Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I cant wait for the anal bomber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Last year I got caught exiting Australia with a couple of razor blades still in their packet, airport security were most unhappy

I have no idea how people are just sailing on through with firearms in their carry on

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

There’s nothing wrong with metal detectors and verifying boarding passes, the issue is all the other bullshit they add in that adds time. Why limit liquids, make you take off your shoes, etc. I am old enough to have flown pre 9/11 and it wasn’t “no security” it was just common sense security that didn’t take hours.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm still kind of waiting for the point where Trump starts tweeting weird things one Friday night that confuses and freaks everyone out, The White House won't answer anything all weekend, and by Sunday night we just kind of figure out he's been alone binging Westworld or something.

nah. he doesn't watch any tv outside fox.

Same Great Paste posted:

This is an important point. It used to be that hijackings weren't "that bad" -- some jackass(es) would take the plane somewhere else, everyone on board would be terribly inconvenienced, and then it'd be solved on the ground.

Now that the stakes have been raised, they'll never ever ever get a passive plane again. Ever.

yeah. before that 9/11 most terrorist hijacking "we will take the plane to Cuba if you don't give us money/political poo poo".

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CelestialScribe posted:

Cool, let's get rid of all security screening tomorrow. No bag screening, no X-rays, all checked baggage goes straight on the plane without being checked.

You’re being dumb, it’s not a binary and calling for pre-9/11 security levels is not “no security.”

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
"Often referred to as Pocahontas by me" is an unusual turn of phrase for him, he usually leaves out the "by me" part as if everyone else shared his enthusiasm for his stupid rear end insults.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

CelestialScribe posted:

The argument being made in this thread is that even that is too much security.

That has not been even close to the argument made and you are being needlessly hyperbolic

What has been said is that the multiple types of scans do very little to secure anything and it would be better served with a metal detector and the other improvements made: blastproof cockpit doors, air marshals, and passenger vigilance.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Lightning Knight posted:

You’re being dumb, it’s not a binary and calling for pre-9/11 security levels is not “no security.”

There are more than a few calls in the past page or two to get rid of security entirely.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

CelestialScribe posted:

You're literally the only one making that argument, and when we say we aren't you skip past our posts and say that to someone else. I guess troll successful? You got me.

hiddenmovement posted:

Last year I got caught exiting Australia with a couple of razor blades still in their packet, airport security were most unhappy

I have no idea how people are just sailing on through with firearms in their carry on

I have a friend who had this happen to him, he had packed a handgun for some other trip and didn't completely unpack his bag before flying and walked right onto the plane with it.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

It’s literally just having TSA precheck for everyone.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i think we pretty much knew this, but US intelligence agencies confirming it is new

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1084634668127928325

Lightning Knight posted:

this is a positively lucid take by celestial scribe's standards

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

New Coke posted:

"Often referred to as Pocahontas by me" is an unusual turn of phrase for him, he usually leaves out the "by me" part as if everyone else shared his enthusiasm for his stupid rear end insults.

Original slur, do not steal.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

that was a thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdullah_al-Asiri
he tried to blow up some Saudi guy but his anal cavity was too strong so he kinda just popped.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Soviet Union's last strategy was to use America's Greed and Capitalism to be its own undoing by way of infiltrating conservatives, like the NRA, and using the GOP to create legislation allowing Citizen's United and letting America have Oligarchs so like Trump they could blackmail and use to sell America out. Investigate the Koch's and McConnell.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ZypherIM posted:

This for real. I'm a white guy so I've never had problems, but I know a guy of middle east ancestry who gets pulled for extra screening every *single* time he goes through. I'm sure people of minority (or poo poo, probably just women in general) here can attest to what amounts to harassment through extra screening.

Think of it as sort of an extension of the way terrorism actually achieves its goals already. They don't cause the most harm from the attack itself, but from our response to the attack. We've created a system that is more or less immune to criticism that allows for systemic harassment and has marginal effectiveness. We also spend over 7 billion per year on it.

You realize that someone could bring a bomb into the pre-security area of an airport and kill as many or more people? Or do a truck bomb like OK city. Having a big fancy checkpoint doesn't actually make you safer.

Or, as we've seen in right wing domestic terrorism in the last few years, drive a vehicle into a crowd or attack concerts or clubs where people gather.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1084633230467309569

holy gently caress, he is um, saying poo poo tonight. also the warrens seem like a happy couple.

It's not like there's even a clever turn of phrase or irony here or anything. All she did was exist and do a thing, and that's enough for him to explode like that.

Good job being best, I suppose

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Easy Diff posted:

A locking cabin on the aircraft and air marshals liberally scattered around US flightpaths would be more than enough, and would cost a WHOLE lot less.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

eke out posted:

i think we pretty much knew this, but US intelligence agencies confirming it is new

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1084634668127928325

The next few months are going to be chock-full of news we all knew was true but is finally being recognized as such by the alphabet agencies (for good reason since we at least somewhat try to say that you're innocent until proven guilty in the US).

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that was a thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdullah_al-Asiri
he tried to blow up some Saudi guy but his anal cavity was too strong so he kinda just popped.

Shoving a bomb up your rear end with the intent of blowing yourself up is pretty loving hardcore, though.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

New Coke posted:

He just thinks he is super clever for coming up with a racial slur and this is his brainworms bragging lol

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

moostaffa posted:

uhm, are you unfamiliar with the concept of penetration tests? I seriously doubt anyone would hire random volunteers for it tho

Yeah, they solicited their volunteer pool from government and government adjacent workers. You meet the security dude in the TSA offices that are in the front facing portion of the airport and they give you a bag and instruct you to take it back to the parking lot and back in. After you successfully get through, the agent is waiting for you on the other side and leads you back into an internal conference room to debrief the stricken looking workers who waived you through.

They only let you do it so many times, which is probably for the best. After my third time doing it I was "randomly" selected for extra screening every time I flew out for the next two years.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Do you... not know what an Air Marshal is?

Like that’s not “no security.”

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Liquid Communism posted:

Or, as we've seen in right wing domestic terrorism in the last few years, drive a vehicle into a crowd or attack concerts or clubs where people gather.

Yea for sure, I'm just glad they're too stupid or inept or cowardly to use explosives. If you remember anything about the Timothy Mcveigh and the OK city bombing, something like that would be a huge tragedy (not that the attacks aren't, just in terms of what could have been).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

CelestialScribe posted:

You are the only one making that argument.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

CelestialScribe posted:

Cool, now instead of obsessing over one dude's post maybe you can respond to the multiple people who just want to return to pre 9/11 screening.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

an AOL chatroom posted:

It's not like there's even a clever turn of phrase or irony here or anything. All she did was exist and do a thing, and that's enough for him to explode like that.

Good job being best, I suppose

well he hates native Americans(not her but any chance he can do to poo poo on them, he takes, plus she is strong woman.)

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Lol CelestialScribe is brining his pants on head brand of stupid into the thread again.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
He could have posted that cringey Warren video on its own without comment and it would have been an own (some of these forced 'i'm a normal human' attempts are awful and never work) but hey let's throw in some wild racism

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

Yea for sure, I'm just glad they're too stupid or inept or cowardly to use explosives. If you remember anything about the Timothy Mcveigh and the OK city bombing, something like that would be a huge tragedy (not that the attacks aren't, just in terms of what could have been).

Also explosives are reaaaaally difficult to build without losing a few extremities. Lol why do you think so many bombmakers are missing fingers?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Lightning Knight posted:

You're totally fine with absolutely no luggage/personal items being checked before getting on a flight, then?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CelestialScribe posted:

...surely the answer is to create better security, not to say "ah gently caress it" and just let anyone on a plane.

Or maybe you could actually read what other people have posted in response to you.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

CelestialScribe posted:

You're totally fine with absolutely no luggage/personal items being checked before getting on a flight, then?

Yes. That is exactly what everyone is saying. You win Gish Gallop.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ZypherIM posted:

I think that's actually the result of real security. It is a lot harder to get ahold of bulk explosive materials without the Feds noticing now than it was in McVeigh's day precisely because of the regulatory changes made to how they're tracked after OKC.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

CelestialScribe posted:

Yes? The TSA has demonstrated that luggage checks don’t actually stop people from bringing bad poo poo onto the plane lmao, meanwhile the security theater results in aggressive racial profiling and sexual harassment.

The best defense against people who want to hijack a plane is the other passengers pushing their teeth down their throat.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Wilhelm posted:

He could have posted that cringey Warren video on its own without comment and it would have been an own (some of these forced 'i'm a normal human' attempts are awful and never work) but hey let's throw in some wild racism

The racism is the point.

If Trump was a goon shitposter, he'd have to be told "ironic racism is still racism."

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

CelestialScribe posted:

Have you been outside the United States? Other countries do airport security well and have a different model than TSA.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

CelestialScribe posted:

NO! No one loving is! Stop making GBS threads up the goddamn thread with your pointless loving non-arguments.

God drat you morons meltdown over the stupidest loving poo poo.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
This is the problem. You are all saying "no one is actually saying that" when actually yes, there are people saying that, and I've pointed to evidence of that in this thread.

It's like when people say, "getting rid of ICE doesn't mean getting rid of border security" despite the fact there absolutely people on the left saying, "yes, we want to get rid of border security".

Simiain posted:
NO! No one loving is! Stop making GBS threads up the goddamn thread with your pointless loving non-arguments.

God drat you morons meltdown over the stupidest loving poo poo.

I literally posted someone saying this on this page.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Edit.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CelestialScribe posted:

Those things were always checked.
Source: I've been flying since 1970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Keep your kinks to yourself.