Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

blastron posted:

Alright, so I’ve been blitzing through this and have hit chapter 260, where they’re all in the Hell Train and running through a bunch of pipes, but I’m really confused about something.

What exactly is Rachel’s motivation supposed to be? As far as I can tell the only thing she wants is to see the real stars outside the tower, so why does this necessitate being a huge rear end in a top hat to everyone? Is it some just dumb ego thing about wanting to be the heroine? She isn’t making a ton of sense and it’s really distracting.

Rachel knows some super drat important poo poo from her time before entering the Tower that is still a mystery. We've gotten a couple more hints about what that is and what she knows from after the point you're reading that I don't want to spoil for you.

There are a lot of guesses. One is that she just didn't want Baam to fulfill the prophecy because of her own vanity or hatred of Baam. Some think she did it to spare Baam -- a sweet boy who only wants to have friends -- from an awful life of non stop fighting though that one has lost traction the past couple years. Regardless, she's really dang important because of stuff SIU can't quite reveal yet and her motivation and pettiness might have more to it than we know.

I've commented on it a few times how it's been so long with so little insight that she's kind of grown tiresome as a character. I hope SIU gets onto her whole deal in the next "season," as season 2 is ending in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I mean the "Die during it" part seems to be what they'd go for.

It's hard to do this without risking killing all the regulars as well. Sticking powerful regulars in isn't going to work anymore. Importantly baam wasn't named by the kill order unlike the other 2 options

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jose posted:

It's hard to do this without risking killing all the regulars as well. Sticking powerful regulars in isn't going to work anymore. Importantly baam wasn't named by the kill order unlike the other 2 options

Yeah but Zahard knows it's Baam and Kallavan, one of the tip toppest dudes in the entire Zahard regime, has seen him personally and can send the word down to all test administrators. They certainly don't care about testing collateral if it means killing Baam. Doubly so because most likely any regulars taking the test with him would be people they want to eliminate anyhow.

Baam was named by the kill order twice. He's both FUG (A known Slayer Candidate, as they figured out what Hansung did) and was on the Hell Train. He's as named as any Po Bidau family member in that sense, even more so with recent occurrences.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he might just start going by Baam again and it could be enough to get around the FUG aspect of the order. I also got the impression that the kill orders specifically refer to the Jahad army/enforcement divison and that floor administrators have quite a lot of freedom so they could decide its not worth the hassle. Look at how this fight has gone. The person in charge of the floor only eventually turned up because Evankhell was causing so much destruction. Basically though I just don't see them completely destroying the regular system to kill Baam which is what would currently happen every time they fail at it

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Instead of all these orders and crap they should have just paid off the test admins on the next couple floors and just had one of them assassinate Bam.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm in the minority that still likes Rachel. She's an rear end in a top hat, but so are most other people in the Tower, including many of Baam's friends. I do think, though, that if she's going to keep showing up, SIU needs to get on with revealing whatever her deal is. Like, either have her disappear for a while and show up again when it's relevant, or go ahead and reveal what the relevant part is.

One of the reasons I like her is that she's in one of the more precarious positions of the characters we know. Baam may have a lot working against him, but he's ludicrously powerful (and constantly becoming even more powerful, so his enemies are kinda working with a time limit before Baam's power becomes too much) and also has a prophecy working in his favor. But Rachel doesn't have any personal combat-related talents (that we're aware of, anyways) and relies upon her relationship with others for protection. She is also an antagonistic figure who isn't working for the more obvious Big Bad (Jahad and his forces), which is interesting.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ytlaya posted:

I'm in the minority that still likes Rachel. She's an rear end in a top hat, but so are most other people in the Tower, including many of Baam's friends. I do think, though, that if she's going to keep showing up, SIU needs to get on with revealing whatever her deal is. Like, either have her disappear for a while and show up again when it's relevant, or go ahead and reveal what the relevant part is.

One of the reasons I like her is that she's in one of the more precarious positions of the characters we know. Baam may have a lot working against him, but he's ludicrously powerful (and constantly becoming even more powerful, so his enemies are kinda working with a time limit before Baam's power becomes too much) and also has a prophecy working in his favor. But Rachel doesn't have any personal combat-related talents (that we're aware of, anyways) and relies upon her relationship with others for protection. She is also an antagonistic figure who isn't working for the more obvious Big Bad (Jahad and his forces), which is interesting.

I don't hate her but until she actually reveals her motivations more she's just kind of frustrating

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Shugojin posted:

I don't hate her but until she actually reveals her motivations more she's just kind of frustrating

I agree with this. We've received the barest inkling of why she can conjure these otherwise untenable powerful allies, but every on-screen appearance shes just an rear end in a top hat.

I appreciate the fact that she juxtaposes well against Baam, but it's definitely not enough anymore.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
I just realized that we've been forgetting something big. Jahad's going to war with both FUG and the Pau Bidau family... and we're essentially wondering about what school's going to be like for our protagonists. (That's imagining the inner tower as a school for regulars while being a ranker is like being a graduate/adult in the real world). I don't know that their testing system will even stay active in what would be a war zone. This could signal a whole new shift in how the story is told or looked at, just like how we thought things would keep on going the way there were in season 1 until Rachel pushed Bam. Kids don't get to continue on their lives like normal in war zones in real life, poo poo goes crazy.

SIU could be setting us up for a massive left hook.

Hirethor fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 5, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They only have to fulfill one of the orders. It's why they went for the regulars first

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Hirethor posted:

I just realized that we've been forgetting something big. Jahad's going to war with both FUG and the Pau Bidau family... and we're essentially wondering about what school's going to be like for our protagonists. (That's imagining the inner tower as a school for regulars while being a ranker is like being a graduate/adult in the real world). I don't know that their testing system will even stay active in what would be a war zone. This could signal a whole new shift in how the story is told or looked at, just like how we thought things would keep on going the way there were in season 1 until Rachel pushed Bam. Kids don't get to continue on their lives like normal in war zones in real life, poo poo goes crazy.

SIU could be setting us up for a massive left hook.

The running idea is that the third season is going to be all about the Princess War that was hinted at back during the Name Hunt Station, how there's these multiple factions of princesses snatching up every princess, ranker and non ranker alike, they can find. I bet Maschenny's gonna win her bet with Yuri and the caveat is Yuri joining her side.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Jose posted:

They only have to fulfill one of the orders. It's why they went for the regulars first

Adori Jahad (head of the Royal Guard) wants to do all 3, and besides, we know our hero is gonna survive right? So they'll have to go forward with at least one of the other 2.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It would be easier for the governmental structure of the tower to just declare all out war on FUG than it would be to destroy the Po Bidau. One is something you could, at least on paper, rally all the families behind, and the other is something with the potential to shatter any alliances and cause mass havoc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the wiki has it all as well if you'd rather read about it that way https://towerofgod.fandom.com/wiki/Tower_of_God_Wiki

and the new blog posts get translated on the reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/towerofgod

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Gologle posted:

It would be easier for the governmental structure of the tower to just declare all out war on FUG than it would be to destroy the Po Bidau. One is something you could, at least on paper, rally all the families behind, and the other is something with the potential to shatter any alliances and cause mass havoc.

Not to mention it is literally impossible for them to kill Gustang himself thanks to his immortality.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Not to mention it is literally impossible for them to kill Gustang himself thanks to his immortality.

He might still object to his whole family being wiped out. He didn't seem too keen on upsetting urek even if urek could kill him too

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Jose posted:

(more than me((Hirethor)))

How could you do this to me Jose? I thought you were my Brose.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Holy poo poo, first time seeing my name on one of those "top posters for thread" lists. I bet like half those posts are in the context of Rachel discussions.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Climbing up the ranks fast. I was a late comer to the thread despite reading this thing since 2011.

edit-- poo poo actually I need to stay where I'm at, I get to be Urek instead of Zahard.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 7, 2019

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

We are just as bad as Jahad if we begin creating post "Rankers"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm starting thread FUG, join now to be a SLAYER :rock:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I doubt that The Holy Queef has been selecting individuals to post in this thread and sending them to the OP, so I'm guessing everyone posting here is in fact an irregular.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm not even on that list, so for all I know I could be Rak Wraithraiser, the scourge of turtles and Objective Best Character.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AtomikKrab posted:

We are just as bad as Jahad if we begin creating post "Rankers"

I am Jahad according to the ranks.

edit: and Two Tone Shoes is Mazino, so he should be happy with his current rank

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
Since you're all having so much fun with it, I made a shortcut. For the original pic I did the cutoff at 100+ posts btw.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I assume when we meet bark Ryun he's going to be a native to the tower and Rak will get a big power up

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hirethor posted:

Since you're all having so much fun with it, I made a shortcut. For the original pic I did the cutoff at 100+ posts btw.

Oh great my large adult son is a psycho

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Translators took a week off for the holidays, but we're back on track!

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-335/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=416

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

And the poo poo continues to go down apparently.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
More authors need to draw little maps showing where everyone is in relation to each other like Oda does when One Piece gets complicated.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!
Yeah, today's comic was pretty confusing. I'm just going to roll with it under the pretense of it being a chaotic battlefield.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I didn't have any issues following what was going on here. This isn't me trying to brag but I'm wondering what parts you guys are confused on.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

All of it. Most of the panels are just jumbled color, a comic shouldn't be that convoluted.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
HELL YEAH Kaiser's back!

I couldn't tell a drat thing that was going on but the sheer amount of color made feel like I was tripping so I can't complain

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
That ending is ominous as gently caress, I love it.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Elaine/Kaiser is back!! And holy poo poo, that ending quote was baneful as gently caress!

Ubiquitus posted:

All of it. Most of the panels are just jumbled color, a comic shouldn't be that convoluted.

Not too convoluted imo, and the effects/move of each character fighting is also color-coded and directional (partly for convenience I wager). I don't know man, imo SIU has done a fabulous job depicting both shinsu manipulation (if you think about how this thing works) and power creep in general. I mean, is this not a depiction of a chaotic battlefield with high rankers exchanging ridiculous shinsu attacks? The time when we used to count bangs is long gone now..

It is true though that you have to pay more attention at each panel, and that may mess with speed-readers or people racing for the speech bubbles.

ps: cool avatar/comment combo right there...XD

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 14, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it was pretty hard to follow on my phone but reading it on a proper monitor its easy enough

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I've been reading on my phone lot lately, that may be part of the problem.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
When if the last time SIU broke the 3rd wall to narrate to the audience like that? The only one that come to mind is during the prologue, and I'm not sure if that counts.

Edit: Actually it doesn't seem like that narration is coming from SIU, so I wonder if it's coming from someone specific like The Tower's Axis User?, or Headon?, Arlene?, Enryu?

Also, looking at some older stuff, here's something from Season 1 Chapter 56:

Maybe we're finally going to get that Tsunami that Hansung Yu predicted in 2014.

Hirethor fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Edit: this is from a chapter we havne't seen?

Jose fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 14, 2019