Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
HOPE, YOUR NAME IS HOPE

doesn't she literally say those exact words at some point in 13-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Final Fantasy XIII is the only FF where I hate every single character.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

How can you hate Sazh?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yeah Sazh is great

But I agree with every one else.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm torn on Sazh because at times he has fairly humane moments but on the other hand its pretty hosed up that the sole black party member in FF13 has a pet chicken living in his hair.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

trying to beat a time of 0.0 in the Chocobo Race is horrible.

edit: asidoafioaf I did it right after posting this and it took me under half an hour to get it

Getting 0.0 and learning you actually need -0.1 to get the sword is infuriating

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAoF-GgJZHo

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Booourns posted:

Getting 0.0 and learning you actually need -0.1 to get the sword is infuriating

You don't though. You just need to win to get the sword; your time is irrelevant.

You need sub-zero to get the sigil.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

HOPE, YOUR NAME IS HOPE

doesn't she literally say those exact words at some point in 13-1

Yes. I was wondering if it was somehow more profound in Japanese, like his name is the English word Hope so in Japanese it might sound a bit less dumb.

Sort of like if, I dunno, you pointed at the hypothetical Latin origins of somebody's name and said "this perfectly fits who you are."

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

everyone whose name is also a word understands this pain

I know I do

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

What's wrong with Fang

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
She isn't in your party enough and doesn't punch Snow in the face. Also her eidolon cutscene is loving stupid since they had to shoehorn it in somewhere.

Otherwise she's pretty badass and can take a slap in the face like a loving champ.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A lot of problems with FF13's pacing and characters could have been addressed by making Fang playable way earlier in the story.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

A lot of problems with FF13's pacing and characters could have been addressed by making Fang playable way earlier in the story.

the game actually desperately needed an Adventures of Snow And Fang segment instead of having Snow go for hours and hours without any playable segments, where we could have gotten introduced to Fang and been given a reason to actually care about the Cavalry(or like, learn what it is), and maybe she could have punched Snow in the face and gotten some character development that would make her eidolon stuff come less out of loving nowhere

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm replaying FFX right now and that's the one thing i refuse to do.

Lulu isn't nearly useful enough for me to make myself do this. another dumbass thing I did is after all that chocobo racing, I apparently left the Sun Crest in Yunalesca's chamber and now I can't get it without facing Dark Bahamut, which kind of defeats that purpose

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Lulu isn't nearly useful enough for me to make myself do this. another dumbass thing I did is after all that chocobo racing, I apparently left the Sun Crest in Yunalesca's chamber and now I can't get it without facing Dark Bahamut, which kind of defeats that purpose

You could always just Yojimbo him!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yojimbo, my friend.

In fact, the only thing in the game Yojimbo can't solve, amusingly enough, is Dark-Yojimbo.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Nah, he can. He can solve him five times over, even.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

UnderFreddy posted:

You could always just Yojimbo him!

I GUESS, but I would have rather I just knew to collect the Sun Crest while I was there!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

Nah, he can. He can solve him five times over, even.

I guess to clarify, easily. Its a lot of reloading to get five consecutive Yojimbo kills whereas everybody else only needs one.

I GUESS, but I would have rather I just knew to collect the Sun Crest while I was there!

The Dark Aeons were a deeply stupid addition to the game and the fact the remaster did nothing to change this is one of its bigger flaws.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cock hero flux posted:

I know I do

Understands this... Paine?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Yes. Split the party into Lightning/Hope/Fang and Sazh/Snow/Vanille. Makes things better for both gameplay AND story. I've said this like five or six times but I don't care, it's a great idea, SE WHERES MY PAYCHECK

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I DEFINITELY thought I got the Besaid Destruction Sphere at the beginning of the game, but guess what! I didn't! Guess who's waiting for me when I go back!!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
sazh/vanille is loving miserable every time you have to deal with it. ff13 lovers are insane

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

corn in the bible posted:

sazh/vanille is loving miserable every time you have to deal with it. ff13 lovers are insane

The section with them on the airship is awful

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

cock hero flux posted:

I know I do

COCK! YOUR NAME IS COCK!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
And now that we're finally speaking of cocks, I was reminded that the year of the rooster was a good year in FFXIV.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 15, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kanfy posted:

And now that we're finally speaking of cocks, I was reminded that the year of the rooster was a good year in FFXIV.

Didn't he start that by wandering around Limsa asking people if they'd like to see his, er, rooster hat?

Didn't that event have you go do a FATE that involved a cyclops pounding mochi while birds cast an AOE named "Incubus"?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Didn't he start that by wandering around Limsa asking people if they'd like to see his, er, rooster hat?

Didn't that event have you go do a FATE that involved a cyclops pounding mochi while birds cast an AOE named "Incubus"?

Yeah, the poor guy couldn't understand why people weren't enthusiastic to see and especially touch his lovely yellow cock.

A good year.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I don't know if you guys have ever had mochi, but it's really not that good.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Hey a whole lot of words about Final Fantasy I incoming, please feel free to skip if you don't care.

As someone who would, if asked, say they were a Final Fantasy fan, I’ve actually not finished a lot of the series. Played, certainly, but rarely finished. Most of the time, this is just due to my attention wandering – I try and play a lot of different games but I’m also an adult with responsibilities and poo poo so I’m not finishing 40 hour mega games as often as I used to as a no-life teenager. Sometimes it’s because the game does something that pisses me off to no end and I no longer want to play it again. I died to Cloud of Darkness in FF3 DS and would have had to go through the hell of the entire final dungeon again to beat the game. I just called it complete and moved on. gently caress that dungeon. gently caress that dungeon entirely.

So out of all the Final Fantasy games I’ve only ever finished (In order of most to least favourite):

Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy XIV (as far as you can say “finished” for an MMO)
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy III (gently caress it close enough)
Final Fantasy XIII (I didn’t finish it. I don’t have any desire to, either.)

Which when I write it out seems kind of tiny. As many people often do I’ve decided to go through the rest of the series and try and fil in the gaps in my knowledge and update this ranking as I go. As you can guess there’ll be caveats here and there as to what I attempt or exclude (I don’t think I have the stomach to play Final Fantasy XIII again) but it’s my list so I’ll do whatever the gently caress I please.
So without further ado, some rambling thoughts:

I started with Final Fantasy I, specifically the Final Fantasy Origins remake on PS1, though using the original difficulty settings to get closer to the original intended experience, and man this was an interesting start. There’s so much clear inspiration from 80s fantasy stuff like Dungeons & Dragons in here. The classes all map to pretty standard D&D archetypes – you have your Fighter (Warrior), Thief (Rogue), Black Mage (Wizard), White Mage (Cleric), Black Belt (Monk), Red Mage (Bard) and go and adventure in dungeons. And you better be prepared for those dungeons, because they will kick your rear end if you get greedy and delve too deep. As a note, I played through with a relatively standard party of Fighter, Black Belt, Black Mage, White Mage so my experiences with the game spring from that viewpoint.

The game’s difficulty level is clearly structured around the idea of running dungeons a few times, each time using the EXP, Gil and treasure that you recover to get stronger and make it down a little further. Unfortunately, the game never quite nails down the balance of this – many dungeons (the infamous Marsh Cave and even more infamous Ice Cave in particular) can be extremely lethal with very few ways to mitigate it. This leads to a few spots where grinding is required (before fighting the Dark Elf being the most notable one) but honestly probably not as much grinding as a lot of people on the internet would have you believe. With clever play, careful conservation of resources, and an understanding of when to bail out of a dangerous situation, it’s possible to progress.There’s also an interesting element of exploration in the game that is much more prominent here than in many later entries in the series, though this comes mostly from very terse NPCs giving very vague directions as to where you should be going and what you should be doing. The game does have some non-linear elements – with some bravery and luck it’s possible to finish the Ice Cave before Mt. Gulg for example (or do what I did and go to Castle of Ordeals to get better equipment before tackling either) - and dungeons are full of nooks and crannies off the main path that reward with treasure. Unfortunately, because of the sort of source material this game draws from, sometimes these paths are gigantic wastes of time and resources, rewarding you with nothing but a dead end or so little that it might as well be nothing.

This does give the game a very different feeling to many of the other titles in the series, and the constant feeling of getting stronger as you get more equipment/spells and start demolishing enemies that once used to torment you can be very satisfying. That said, I had to get up and walk away from the game for a while when I walked into a dungeon, entered a random encounter with a group of Medusa (Medusae?) who got to act first as a surprise attack. They proceeded to petrify my entire party and cause a game over. What could I have done to prevent this from happening? At this stage in the game – absolutely nothing. Game Over. gently caress you, try again. The difficulty swings the other way, too. After the giant wall that is the Ice Cave, nothing from there until the final dungeon will really challenge you in any way. You’ll pick up gear that casts spells for free and from there you can pretty much steamroll the next few dungeons/bosses bar the requisite one or two super deadly encounters in any dungeon where you’ll still want to be on your guard.

This all culminates in the Temple of Chaos, the game’s final dungeon featuring an absolute slog through rematches with the four major bosses amidst constant random encounters with some of the more powerful monsters in the game. This entire area feels like a very slow war of attrition where careful rationing of your curatives and cautious fleeing from most battles (with a little luck) is necessary if you want to see the next floor, let along the final boss. The final dungeon was probably where I was stuck at longest in the game, and the fact that it was uncomfortably reminding me of Final Fantasy 3 DS probably didn’t help my enthusiasm, but I pushed through and found by the end of it that Chaos, the final boss, was kind of an underwhelming fight in comparison to the slow oppressive grind through the dungeon to get to him.

The other thing I find interesting about Final Fantasy I is how much of the leitmotifs of the series are already here, fully formed, in the series first outing. We have The Prelude, crystals, Warriors of Light, airships, Bahamut, a number of Jobs that will continue to appear through the series, an ambitious (for the time) plot involving time travel, the status effects (poison, blind, stone, haste, stop etc.), and some absolutely kickass music. It’s also interesting the things that appear here that will vanish almost immediately from the series – things like the concept of resurrecting at churches, ala Dragon Quest, or Vancian spellcasting as opposed to the MP system that will come to be the standard. All in all, I really enjoyed my time with Final Fantasy I and would absolutely recommend it. If you’re going to be doing it on the original difficulty like I did, I recommend a walkthrough unless you have a lot more time to dedicate to this than I did. If you’re still hesitant, play the lowered difficulty setting on FF1 Origins and use a walkthrough and you’ll probably have a fairly pleasant time of it.

Series Rankings post-FFI:

FFVI
FFXIV
FFVII
FFI
FFIII
FFXIII

Next Up: I jump from the oldest FF to the newest - I finished FFXV yesterday and will write up my thoughts after I digest that charming - but utter mess of - a game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cock hero flux posted:

I know I do

everyone's name is also a word, or even a phrase

not gonna lie i read half the first sentence and my eyes glazed over because it says nothing

ff14 localization sent through the drier dlc when

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Gologle posted:

I don't know if you guys have ever had mochi, but it's really not that good.

It smells kinda nice but it's not very pleasant to eat.

My friend really likes mochi ice cream, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
blasphemy mochi in kinako powder is a top tier dessert

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

kirbysuperstar posted:

Your friend has good taste.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Mochi ice cream is the loving best. One thing I miss the most in moving to where I live now is the lack of Trader Joe's. Thats all I got there, chocolate mochi ice cream.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

kirbysuperstar posted:

It definitely has an interesting texture, but I wouldn't call it unpleasant. I had a bunch of mochi when I was in Japan last month and it was a bit weird at first, then I got used to it. I stayed at a ryokan for a couple nights and they served some mochi with hot green tea and it was delicious.

I also visited the Square Enix Cafe in Osaka and their entire menu was based on FFXV dishes. The shop was focused mostly on Dragon Quest XI, SINoALICE, and TWEWY merchandise at the time, but had a good selection of various Final Fantasy items, too.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Not gonna lie, that FFXV menu sounds delicious.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Shoren posted:

It definitely has an interesting texture, but I wouldn't call it unpleasant.

To be be fair it's mostly a texture thing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Shoren posted:

It definitely has an interesting texture, but I wouldn't call it unpleasant. I had a bunch of mochi when I was in Japan last month and it was a bit weird at first, then I got used to it. I stayed at a ryokan for a couple nights and they served some mochi with hot green tea and it was delicious.

I also visited the Square Enix Cafe in Osaka and their entire menu was based on FFXV dishes. The shop was focused mostly on Dragon Quest XI, SINoALICE, and TWEWY merchandise at the time, but had a good selection of various Final Fantasy items, too.

Last year they had the FF Exhibit (which was very cool) in Roppongi and the bar was serving dumb poo poo like Potions, which are bad drinks they charge you extra for because they are called Potions

https://macg.roppongihills.com/en/exhibitions/612/