Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
True Detective s3 is off to a loving great start, holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

precision posted:

:yeah:

"We were working cases..." *cuts to them drinking in an abandoned lot*

Fuckin' McNulty...

But then he got me when he silently poured one out for Steve McQueen. :five:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A better song than Creep from that same album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-MxcjP9eec

And yeah, if True Detective S3 keeps up this momentum, it's gonna be truly special

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

But then he got me when he silently poured one out for Steve McQueen. :five:
Mahershala Ali does so much wonderful nonverbal acting and I love it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"What's a black sabbath?"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

"What's a black sabbath?"
".................I think it's just their name :sweatdrop: "

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Vanderdeath posted:

Not even my crush on Haley can mitigate the fact that she's really overdoing it on this song. She sounds like a non-lucid Amy Winehouse (RIP) with this one.

I love it being so extra lmbo

Habits is prob her best PMJ jam tho, and Black Hole Sun.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

and on the subject of creep, clearly amanda palmer's version is the top

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

".................I think it's just their name :sweatdrop: "

Also T Bone Burnett continues to be a god when it comes to picking/making soundtracks

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hahaha holy poo poo, Netflix paid influencers to start the Birdbox challenge.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MiddleOne posted:

That doesn't surprise me in the least.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Not that it isn't extremely believable, but source? Google turns nothing up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah lay a link on us.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"The CW Can't Do Justice to Batman Characters"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OozrxKWSVIM

So accurate

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Don't have an english source, Swedish investigative journalists Medierna (of Swedish Radio) reported on it last friday.

EDIT: Jump to 26:00ish, parts of it are in English.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why wasn't the Daredevil challenge a thing. I don't think anyone gives a gently caress about the Birdbox movie.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Mu Zeta posted:

Why wasn't the Daredevil challenge a thing. I don't think anyone gives a gently caress about the Birdbox movie.

Birdbox was trending for several days on Twitter in December.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Literally one of the most viewed movies of last year.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All the reviews I see including critics and audience are very lukewarm about it. The only articles about the movie are either those reviews or talking about the bird box challenge. I believe that journalist or whatever that says Netflix paid for a viral trend.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MiddleOne posted:

Literally one of the most viewed movies of last year.

ehhhhhh, according to them. Netflix has a pretty big financial motivation making sure they not only have the BIGGEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR but also proving to bigger names that its not shameful to do direct to streaming movies now

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

ehhhhhh, according to them. Netflix has a pretty big financial motivation making sure they not only have the BIGGEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR but also proving to bigger names that its not shameful to do direct to streaming movies now

I suspect even some pretty dog-poo poo movies could get high numbers if they weren't attached to ticket-fees/piracy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It has both so-so critic and viewer numbers on Rotten Tomatoes. No one's pitching for awards, but yes, a lot of people watched it and liked it okay.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

All the reviews I see including critics and audience are very lukewarm about it.

I would imagine that a substantial percentage of Netflix's subscribers don't want anything that they feel more than lukewarm about.

It's shows and movies to binge and pay 70% attention to.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bring back old gbs posted:

Though at the same time, don't they have that Alfonso Cuaron movie that's getting raves and could potentially be the first Netflix movie to be nominated for Best Picture? it seems to me that they could be leaning into that rather than encouraging dangerous behaviour which is only going to get them bad press.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

esperterra posted:

It's soooo good. All of the PMJ stuff featuring her rips(and so does 90% of the stuff w/ diff vocaliats)! Her solo album is also aces.

Vanderdeath posted:

my crush on Haley

My wife and I just went on a Haley Reinhart binge on YouTube after her recent collaborations with Jeff Goldblum's jazz group, The Mildred Snitzer Orchestra. (Two sexy tracks on the album; check them out!)

I introduced her to "Creep" and "Black Hole Sun," and she was knocked on her rear end by how good those covers were, and how great Haley is. We've skipped PMJ a few times when they've come here on tour,only because my wife doesn't share my love of jazz, but now I wish I had made a case for taking her.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 14, 2019

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

precision posted:

Article about last night TD s3

https://www.thedailybeast.com/true-detective-season-3-premiere-what-the-hell-just-happened?ref=home

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

MiddleOne posted:

Everything related to brands is paid for. Marketing tries to be as invisible as possible these days and it’s everywhere. Reddit is especially a hive for it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife and I just went on a Haley Reinhart binge on YouTube after her recent collaborations with Jeff Goldblum's jazz group, The Mildred Snitzer Orchestra. (Two sexy tracks on the album; check them out!)

I introduced her to "Creep" and "Black Hole Sun," and she was knocked on her rear end by how good those covers were, and how great Haley is. We've skipped PMJ a few times when they've come here on tour,only because my wife doesn't share my love of jazz, but now I wish I had made a case for taking her.

Nice, I hope you guys go! They're in my city in March and you bet your rear end that'll be my birthday gift to myself.

e: and I'll peep that album/those tracks for sure

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Just wanted to say I watched bird box and thought it was good but then again apparently I have poo poo taste so take that as you may. I might as well begin watching Adam Sandler movies and CBS primetime. Ok no I won't do that yuck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bird Box is perfectly fine and if you have problems with brands trying to manufacture viral content, well I'm with you but that's how it is everywhere.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

zoux posted:

Bird Box is perfectly fine and if you have problems with brands trying to manufacture viral content, well I'm with you but that's how it is everywhere.

Normally brands are intelligent enough to not put their consumers in mortal danger.

I'll be watching the courts to see if any lawsuits result...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Normally brands are intelligent enough to not put their consumers in mortal danger.

Oh yeah, that aspect of it is cool as hell

https://mobile.twitter.com/MuseBuff/status/1084584082137378819

I mean, it's Gaga here, no brainer imo

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Hasn't Angelina Jolie been attached to a Cleopatra movie for like 15 years by this point?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Chairman Capone posted:

Hasn't Angelina Jolie been attached to a Cleopatra movie for like 15 years by this point?

Yep!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Agreed on both counts. Malkovich is a great rear end in a top hat in Bird Box

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
By the way y'all should check out The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs. They should have done it as a Coen Brothers Western anthology series which I never knew I wanted until I watched that. It basically is one but no credits between the different stories.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

Oh yeah, that aspect of it is cool as hell

https://mobile.twitter.com/MuseBuff/status/1084584082137378819

I mean, it's Gaga here, no brainer imo

https://twitter.com/MuseBuff/status/1084589375986507776

cool guy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
How about neither?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Logan Paul video posted earlier explicitly said that it was staged and not to attempt it, in continuing with you all crumbling into dust before our eyes you have literally become the people you used to roll your eyes at for blaming Beavis and Butthead and Jackass and wrestling for having imitators.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh jesus, Jackass copycats. We have one of those here in town and he somehow got famous and has an MTV show in the works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

NBCU is launching their own streaming service in 2020.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...eedName=topNews

Insert CBS All-Access jokes here.

In all seriousness though, the idea of possibly getting access to first run USA and Syfy shows commercial free is a hell of a lot more enticing than anything CBS has.