Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Takuan posted:

Now that Stardom is way cheaper than I thought it was, is there a good article or YouTube video I can read/watch to explain who everyone is and what's going on?

I made a big effortpost over the summer for Stardom's 5 Star Grand Prix, that was a quick rundown of a good chunk of the roster and their relationships. It's about six months out of date now, but the basics are all pretty much the same.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864696

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Go RV! posted:

I made a big effortpost over the summer for Stardom's 5 Star Grand Prix, that was a quick rundown of a good chunk of the roster and their relationships. It's about six months out of date now, but the basics are all pretty much the same.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864696

This post helped me a crazy amount when I started watching and the pre-/post-match promos add even more. They do a great job of making the wrestlers and their characters accessible.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

coconono(?) where can I find that tam special?

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

coconono(?) where can I find that tam special?

http://www.stardom-world.com/tams-life/

You ask too many questions about watching wrestling. Just watch wrestling.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

It's a good article but is there a reason he only interviewed the male heads of women's promotions? There was an interview with Meiko today that touched on similar issues wrt drawing a female audience.
I preemptively addressed this on Twitter, actually:

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1083054629213097984

If this was a longer term deep dive type of article, I certainly would have made an attempt to get in touch with Meiko through an intermediary, see if someone could translate, etc. But since I didn't really have that time, I worked with what I had available. (And even then, Takagi's English is such that while I got some useful information out of him, I couldn't really go deeper or directly quote him.) Also: Stardom being the biggest of the women's groups, DDT being an example of a group with both male and female rosters, and Rossy being by far the longest tenured promoter/office staff figure meant that, for the purposes of this specific article, they had specific roles that they fit into that made sense with the specific "what about NJPW bringing in women?" topic.

But yes, if I do a bigger project with longer lead time on this, or something else related to Japanese women's wrestling, I will absolutely make an effort to get in touch with Meiko, Chigusa, etc. Both for the reasons we already discussed and to ask about GAEA BOYZ, the planned "cute boys" division in GAEA that would have included CM Punk and Chuck E. Smooth:

https://twitter.com/wordsbig80s/status/675366527856590850

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
My take on this whole thing is that if I could trust New Japan to book women properly and give them somewhat equal treatment then I wouldn't object but I don't so I wouldn't want them to do it. I'd worry that either it'd end up like Women of Honor or CMLL's women's division and just be a total afterthought that no one cared about or go about it the wrong way - its not New Japan but TV Asahi had a Joshi special a few years ago that was very idol driven and while I don't object to an element of that (that's basically the whole shtick of Maki Ito and I rate her very highly; not the best in ring but really good at everything else) I think that the people who argue for a New Japan women's division thinking that it'd be like their Heavyweight mens division would be disappointed with what they ended up with. Its the old thing of being against tokenism since Tokenistic efforts are going to be very poo poo 99% of the time. Joshi would not be helped by New Japan raiding the scene to put on heatless six-women tags on occasional big cards...

DDT is really the model of how to do it I think - have a satellite Joshi promotion and then incorporate the people there onto your main cards. Gives you the best of both worlds as a fan and also for them: you have women's only shows (well mainly women only; TJP does have some men on their cards every so often but honestly so does Stardom: Minoru Suzuki and KAI were on a show this time last year) giving talent a chance in front of crowds in a lot more prominent positions than they would likely get on mixed cards and then take most likely the top of those cards and feature them on your cards. DDT aren't perfect or anything but I think that they are the closest to the best route that New Japan would take to get a quality Women's division.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
A delayed/overdue Britt Baker UK/Europe debut

https://twitter.com/divadirt/status/1084243254948843520

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Is AEW going to have some kind of partnership with EVE? They don't seem like the kind of company who would have a relationship with WWE.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

IceAgeComing posted:

its not New Japan but TV Asahi had a Joshi special a few years ago that was very idol driven

If it’s fairly recently I think that may have been an AKB48-related drama? Not so much a real promotion.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

davidbix posted:

I preemptively addressed this on Twitter, actually:

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1083054629213097984

Fair enough, I kinda figured it was something to do with them being two of the three that are relatively well known in the rest. I think Meiko must have access to some kind of translator giving her working relations with British promotions and Sendai having English subtitles on their otherwise pretty bad streaming service.

IceAgeComing posted:

its not New Japan but TV Asahi had a Joshi special a few years ago that was very idol driven and while I don't object to an element of that

New Japan had women on the cards in the early-mid 2000s but it was just big 5vs5 tags like you suggested it would probably end up in modern NJPW.

Wrestle-1 is probably the biggest promotion with an actual women's division as opposed to a separate promotion like DDT has and it's just Hana Kimura and Reika Saiki. (Though ASUKA shows up all the time to tag with Hana and quit WAVE so might end up as the third member of their women's roster)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Utami Hayashishita vs. Starlight Kid from the Stardom 1/3 show is very good if you're like me and usually only watch the big shows, you might have missed this.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm just gonna support women's wrestling rather than worry about what NJPW's gonna do with women.

Although I am morbidly curious what a Brandi Rhodes vs Pieter match would look like.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1-lmpkSn94

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Does Stardom World just not work with AirPlay?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Utami Hayashishita now has four belts

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Good Gravy.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Utami Hayashishita

it was right there in front of us all along

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

A lot of people are very mad and threatening to cancel Stardom over this.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Just like they all canceled when they announced the """deathmatch""" last year, I'm sure

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's like nick gage always said

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Something tells me that Stardom is loving how mad some of their western fans are

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1084690956954173440

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1084713197544697856

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1084721103723884544

https://twitter.com/we_are_stardom/status/1084723571157422080

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

So is she actually that good?

Are people mad that there’s a rookie with 4 belts, or are they mad that this particular rookie has 4 belts?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

She's already one of the best on the Stardom roster

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

She's rookie Angle level. I have no problem with a rocket being strapped to her.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
2018 Rookie of the Year by far in all of wrestling. Sure they’ve protected her a little (but isn’t that the job of a wrestling company?) but I struggle to think of many people who’re as good as she is now six months into it.

I mean the titles in question don’t really mean much other than the Tag Titles - the Future of Stardom Title is meant to be for the kids or rookies so it makes sense that she’d win that one (plus they’re setting up Starlight Kid for a push of her own); the SWA Title hasn’t really been relevant since the whole global alliance thing died and Viper hadn’t defended it for over six months and the EVE International Title is EVEs secondary belt, only created in October and this was the first defence of it. Giving them all to Utami makes her look like a big deal and I don’t think that it hurts the company at all.

Indeed who has really lost out from this push? Starlight Kid is probably getting elevated from the Future of Stardom division so long term I think that she benefits from this, Viper is on the way out and so should lose to people and it’s not like she’s won one of the top two singles belts. The people who’ve perhaps lost out are those who might compete for the Future of Stardom title but who aren’t going to be beating Utami but what I think happens there is that she holds it until whenever she’s not eligible for it anymore (October?) and they do a tournament. Besides, would AZM or whoever really benefit from being the Champion - she’d still be the QQ pin eater much like today, just that she’d be a champion of a rather thin division.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Utami winning the Future title is doubly good because Starlight Kid needed to be elevated away from that belt anyway. Putting an EVE title on Utami also works well with the EVE x STARDOM show coming this summer.

Also, Utami fuckin rules.

Trying to avoid any more spoilers from 1/14 as those matches slowly come online. Dying to see Kagetsu/Kyona murder each other.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Do you think its possible the Yakuza have threatened Rossy to push Utami and thats why shes got so many belts

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

People are continuing to take the news very normally

Midnightghoul posted:

Do you think its possible the Yakuza have threatened Rossy to push Utami and thats why shes got so many belts

hmmm her dad is called "Big Daddy" Hayashishita

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WrestleYard/status/1084731525260816384

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I haven't followed Stardom since the last Five Star and Utami was coming super quickly then. I'm glad she's making nerds online super mad.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/rossystardom/status/1085447503787417602

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

That's an odd title for an autobiography.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Finally got around to watching that Hyper Misao / Jun Kasai match thanks to this handy Tokyo Women's Wrestling Best Bout 2018 playlist and holy smokes that was hilarious.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Misao just went on sabbatical and a very large part of me expected she'd be back at the very next event with a different mask. I hope she comes back soon.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SCsirens/status/1086332663370199040

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Anyone planning on watching the TJPW event tonight (8 PM PST / 11 EST)?

code:
Miyu Yamashita, Miyu Watanabe & Raku VS Mizuki, Yuna Manase, & YUMI

Yuka Sakazaki & Yuki Aino VS Reika Saiki & Marika Kobashi

Shoko Nakajima & Mina Shirakawa VS Natsumi Maki & Hikari Noa

Yuki Kamifuku VS Himawari Unagi

Triple threat match - Tenma Nodoka VS Pipipipi Pinano VS Neko Haruna

Maki Itoh VS Harajuku Pom

J-Ro fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 19, 2019

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
WOW is really fun and worth a watch. Kinda reminds me of a female version of Wrestling Society X. Over the top and campy as hell, but great characters and makes you care about everything.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DM Punk posted:

WOW is really fun and worth a watch. Kinda reminds me of a female version of Wrestling Society X. Over the top and campy as hell, but great characters and makes you care about everything.

The video packages are really well done. Absolutely worth track down the show for the Kiera Hogan segment alone.

Major thing I ding the show on and this, sadly, is something I see in almost every US wrestling show is they used way too many camera cuts during the matches. That’s a great thing to do if you’ve got absolute poo poo matches happening but these matches were all pretty well put together. The constant cuts really took away from the action.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

coconono posted:

The video packages are really well done. Absolutely worth track down the show for the Kiera Hogan segment alone.

Major thing I ding the show on and this, sadly, is something I see in almost every US wrestling show is they used way too many camera cuts during the matches. That’s a great thing to do if you’ve got absolute poo poo matches happening but these matches were all pretty well put together. The constant cuts really took away from the action.

The way the matches are edited and filmed makes it feel more like a scene from a movie and less like a wrestling show. No long hard cam shots like on SD or RAW. Totally different style. Everything feels so much more fast paced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I didn’t like it. The matches were fast paced enough without the constant jumping around.

That constant jumping really worked for the final moments of the show with Tessa, Jungle, Kenny G and Beast tho.