Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

At Chernobyl the control rods, which were the only mechanism in the entire process capable of acting as a nuclear de-ccellerant, were inexplicably* capped with graphite, which is an extremely flammable nuclear accellerant.

This is the equivalent of a building's fire-sprinkler system having the spray nozzles made out of very small sticks of gasoline-coated dynamite.

11 reactors currently operating in Russia still use this system.

*Actually, there is a reason, but it's not a great one.

Yes, let's build a water displacer into the end of our rods. We can't have that pesky water slowing down the reaction during regular operation, can we? Oh, there will be a little spike when we insert the rods, but I'm sure it will be fine. And I suppose we'll have to keep the graphite cool, so we'll just put another water circuit on them. I'm sure the tight fit required for cooling won't slow down the only part of the reactor which is absolutely required to move into position with maximum speed and confidence.

Every time I think about the reeeealy old-fashioned reactors I get this chill up my spine and resolve to stay as far away as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Benagain posted:

Yeah I'm gonna second that recommendation for the entire thread, if you like KSBD you will like the craft sequence.
Craft is good, tho new readers please be aware, you are going to get extremely sick of the overdone "lmao what if contracts and other legal/economic constructs were actually black magic?!" schtick. At least, if you binge the series like I did.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Counterpoint: you won’t ever get tired of the magic contract law/financial instruments because they are great fun and a joy to read.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Petal Knights: Be Gay, Do Crimes

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
me a few minutes ago, foolish, naive, unjaded by this world: boy i cant wait to see what people have to say about the update

me now: juggernaut star was right

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this craft sequence sounds neat tho. is that the one where theres a computer made of demons who drool or dont drool as 1s and 0s

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

pseudorandom name posted:

Counterpoint: you won’t ever get tired of the magic contract law/financial instruments because they are great fun and a joy to read.
I absolutely loved them the first couple times, but there's a few specific turns of phrase in such scenes that Gladstone returns to a bit too often, and it went from inventive to eye-rolling relatively quickly for me :shrug:

Tollymain posted:

this craft sequence sounds neat tho. is that the one where theres a computer made of demons who drool or dont drool as 1s and 0s
I read the entire Sequence mid/late last year and don't remember that, but I'm fallible. Definitely do remember things like undead mind-controlled messenger rats being used in lieu of computer networking or pneumatic tubes; duct-entrapped wind elementals in lieu of air conditioning; and magically synchronized-to-somebody's-heart metronomes replacing ECGs.

One of my biggest complaints with the worldbuilding is it felt inconsistent re: what modern urban things are reinvented for this necromantic-fantasy setting, and which are played completely straight. For example, there are hospital room descriptions containing those metronomes (fantasy) alongside straight up plastic ventilator/oxygen tubing (non-fantasy); and cargo "trucks" pulled along by magically animated golems instead of having engines...yet still emit the scent of motor oil? etc.

But honestly I could leverage the same complaint about Throne and yet I don't feel compelled to, so I dunno. Maybe the mixture works better in a visual medium or something.

vvvv That's how those things came across to me, yea. Him writing the modern world, layering his "leverage souls as collateral lol" stuff on top, and then neglecting to consider some of the minor details that jump out to anal-retentive nerds like me.

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 12, 2019

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the motor oil thing sounds like the author mucked up tbh

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This is the only thread on these dead forums that can explode into 6 pages of replies over a couple of days and yet I'm never disappointed with what I read

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Perhaps golems also need lubrication?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone drinks magical safe-to-drink motor oil instead of coffee, which is completely unknown.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Tollymain posted:

me a few minutes ago, foolish, naive, unjaded by this world: boy i cant wait to see what people have to say about the update

me now: juggernaut star was right

Same. The update is great, I'm hoping for more of Allison's internal monologue over the next few pages.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Same. The update is great, I'm hoping for more of Allison's internal monologue over the next few pages.
:yeah:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

bitprophet posted:

For example, there are hospital room descriptions containing those metronomes (fantasy) alongside straight up plastic ventilator/oxygen tubing (non-fantasy); and cargo "trucks" pulled along by magically animated golems instead of having engines...yet still emit the scent of motor oil? etc.

Golems need to be properly lubricated if they're going to be in continuous operation for that long, and what also would they use in lieu of hygenic plastic tubing, daemon intestines?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Please, just focus on the idea of a skeleton wearing sunglasses and (red) swim trunks and sitting on the sand drinking something fruity out of a coconut.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Please, just focus on the idea of a skeleton wearing sunglasses and (red) swim trunks and sitting on the sand drinking something fruity out of a coconut.
Legitimately the best character. Perhaps not coincidentally, also one of the characters who would probably fit right into the K6BD universe as-is.

Though thinking of him reminds me of one of those Craft references that gets repeated so often it annoys me - "pre-mortem exercises" :rolleyes: (again, I think my problem may have been binging the series, that stuff is surely more amusing and less irritating if you're only reading one such book every few years.)

To be on topic, I want to add my 2c to the pile of "getting some internal monologue from Allison is nice and I hope we get more". Kung fu demon hijinx and angel drama is great but I like how Operant never loses sight of the "our protagonist is still just human" core.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Calling it now, the house is in a god skull

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Yes, let's build a water displacer into the end of our rods. We can't have that pesky water slowing down the reaction during regular operation, can we? Oh, there will be a little spike when we insert the rods, but I'm sure it will be fine. And I suppose we'll have to keep the graphite cool, so we'll just put another water circuit on them. I'm sure the tight fit required for cooling won't slow down the only part of the reactor which is absolutely required to move into position with maximum speed and confidence.

Every time I think about the reeeealy old-fashioned reactors I get this chill up my spine and resolve to stay as far away as possible.

It still would have been ok if the operators hadn't done precisely 100% the wrong thing at every step of the way.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

NO CHUNKY PEANUT BUTTER!!! ~Admin

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Super Waffle posted:

Calling it now, the house is in a god skull prime angel armor

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

NO CHUNKY PEANUT BUTTER!!! ~Admin

Admin is too kind and depressed to be a Deathless King, there’s no way he’d murder the gods and topple their thrones because his priest boyfriend voluntarily became a human sacrifice.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I'm disappointed she's already fallen off the self-acceptance wagon she hopped on last chapter.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm disappointed she's already fallen off the self-acceptance wagon she hopped on last chapter.
It's almost like self-esteem isn't a linear path and people should be allowed to have ups and downs.

Also, nobody likes you.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Normal people do, but normal people don't Voltron all aspects of their personality together into a single self-actualized mind in order to wrest control via self-love from the personified Id controlling their body.

Fortunately, my self esteem isn't tied to my posting.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
She accepted herself, and then herself changed

everybody changes, sometimes with timeskips and bad rear end training regimens (but not usually)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

the real problem is that she hasnt been using her persona

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
One of the aspects of her personality that she voltroned into the mix was "Body Image Issues", so she keeps having body image issues. Makes sense to me.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I wonder if Swolemon David has body issues...

e: Also, at the rate Al-YISUN is collecting scars, she's gonna look like the Nameless One by the time she takes her throne.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 14, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

habeasdorkus posted:

Oh, you better believe it.

If he gains five pounds the entire universe will notice, and Incubus will say some really mean things.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh, you better believe it.

If he gains five pounds the entire universe will notice, and Incubus will say some really mean things.

He spends 45m on his beard every morning. He refused to let attendants do it; they'll just mess it up.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

habeasdorkus posted:

e: Also, at the rate Al-YISUN is collecting scars, she's gonna look like the Nameless One by the time she takes her throne.

To the first point, get to know a body builder and erase all doubt.

To the second point, she's already seduced a powerful magic using fiend and has power that could bend the multiverse, all she needs is some anxiety about her mortality to drive her to make some (more) really bad decisions.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

habeasdorkus posted:

*KSBD updates*

Allison:...
"I have updated my journal."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Mr. Lobe posted:

To the first point, get to know a body builder and erase all doubt.

That's true, my sister-in-law and I did agree at one point that my brother could never watch Magic Mike because it would exacerbate his existential angst that he's not swole enough.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 14, 2019

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The Lastnameless One.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Lastnameless One.

Her last name is Ruth, though?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Her last name is Ruth, though?

Part of achieving royalty is accepting that she must be Ruth-less

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Part of achieving royalty is accepting that she must be Ruth-less

:golfclap:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

She must cut Ruth from herself.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

God dammit, Operant. Was that intentional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SardonicTyrant posted:

The Lastnameless One.

Wrong webcomic.