Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tom Gorman posted:

I never post pictures of anything because (1) my phone camera is lousy and (2) I'm a terrible photographer and my house has zero good lighting. But I wanted to share this recipe because of just how good it was. I went to the farmers market today and there was a stand selling fowl and other meats from raised animals that are really hard to come by unless you're a hunter yourself.

So I bought 2 partridges and made a partridge pie.

I really enjoy the Townsends youtube channel and historic recipes from the 17th-19th century. I tried to follow this as closely as I could. Honestly, just reading the recipe was the hardest part of the whole thing. These old-timey recipes have no measurements and most instructions are a sentence long at best.

Filling:
Pluck and butcher 2 partridges
2 carrots
1 sweet onion
1/2 a large turnip
2 celery stalks

Simmer in a pot. Add a few tbs of flour and butter to make your roux. How much exactly? I dunno, doesn't say. I went with 3. Then 1/2c water and let it simmer while you make the crust. it should be a very thick stew. Add thyme and ground nutmeg to taste. Be very generous with the nutmeg.

Crust:
"Add flour and butter to water until a dough is formed."

That's the recipe. I did 3tbs cold butter in 1 1/4c flour, cut the butter in with my hands, and just added water until the dough came together.

"Bake until finished."

Ok. I did 425F for about 35mins. I didn't have the confidence to do this in the cast iron over the fire for the first time. I used a glass dish and a conventional oven. And yeah, a pie shield. I shouldn't have used it but eh whatever.

edit:

I told you I'm bad at taking pictures. But I couldn't even get a cross section or photo of it plated because it was gone that quickly. The recipe had no salt or pepper, no garlic, no other spices and it somehow didn't need them. There are tons of ways to build on what is essentially a pot pie. But it was so simple and good just the way it is.

You could be Masaokis pt2.

Pie looks solid though 👌

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Yellow mung bean soup with lime; recipe from Hari Ghotra's The Easy Indian Slow Cooker Cookbook.

(I've noticed the slow cooker doesn't do a drat thing for most of the bean or vegetable based recipes, so I just use a pressure cooker and everything comes out exactly right in like a tenth of the time.)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Crossposting from the general questions thread.

I made Ruhlman's red wine garlic sausages, a runny French-style raw milk cheese, nutmeg sweet potato puree and red cabbage braised in apple cider vinegar and brown sugar with toasted caraway seeds.

It's as ridiculously decadent as it looks. sausage is tart, garlicky, porky, with the velvety, funky, salty cheese. God drat was that good.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Yo that’s some great food. You made that cheese? Holy crap.

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Where do you get raw milk for that masterpiece? Is it un-pasteurized?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks folks. Yup, made the cheese, and yep, unpasteurized. There's a great regional dairy here in Texas called Mill King. If you go to their retail location on the farm, they'll sell you raw milk. It's about 90 minutes from me. I actually don't love drinking it, but damned if it doesn't make better cheese so I make the trip with a bigass cooler whenever I am making a batch.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
loving Waco? That's tempting but too much driving for me.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Doom Rooster posted:

Crossposting from the general questions thread.

I made Ruhlman's red wine garlic sausages, a runny French-style raw milk cheese, nutmeg sweet potato puree and red cabbage braised in apple cider vinegar and brown sugar with toasted caraway seeds.

It's as ridiculously decadent as it looks. sausage is tart, garlicky, porky, with the velvety, funky, salty cheese. God drat was that good.

Making your own cheese is a masterpiece and that looks so good it's unreal.

Nothing nearly as good as that, but here's a few recent foods, more towards the comfort food end of things than anything fine dining:

Thick omelette with chives (nice and gooey in the middle, browned on the outside) on a bed of lightly wilted rocketed, with grana padano, cress and english mustard mayonnaise, in a scotch roll. A nice late brunch meal.

Butternut squash and sage risotto (with a hint of smoked paprika and chipotle for extra depth), topped with roasted squash seeds and grana padano.

Barbecue marinated breaded chicken breast burger, hash brown (just potato and shallot, seasoned - hard to beat a classic sometimes), shredded iceberg lettuce, onion, aged gouda, and mayonnaise in a scotch roll.

I may have had some scotch rolls to use up.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Noslo posted:

Where do you get raw milk for that masterpiece? Is it un-pasteurized?

afaik in the US it's super illegal to transfer raw milk to anyone, but if it's your cow it's fine, so the usual way to do this is to buy a share of a cow

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it's state by state

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

it's state by state

This, and people get around it in most by selling it as "pet milk" in a wink-wink transaction.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Casu Marzu posted:

It's cold out

Lazy empty the fridge doenjang jjigae

I wanna date that dish.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Framboise posted:

I'm not as amazing as you guys but my girlfriend got me a big, red, glossy cast iron dutch oven for Christmas this year, and I decided to take it on its maiden voyage with a pot of zuppa toscana.

It's delicious.

Wololo

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

drat you even inverted the color of the stovetop! :v:

man I need to make another batch of that stuff, wasn't it great?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

These are fun posts

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Framboise posted:

drat you even inverted the color of the stovetop! :v:

man I need to make another batch of that stuff, wasn't it great?

I actually really didn't care for it, but I think that's because of the sausage I used. As soon as I smelled it as it started to brown I thought "oh dear, I hope something is going to mask this flavor." Tasted like McDonalds breakfast sausage. The rest of it was great though, especially dipped in garlic bread.

Another soup I made in my dutch oven (which was also a christmas gift) was this tomato soup. Nothing fancy but I was pretty happy with how it looked, especially since I'm just starting to care about plating thanks to this thread.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Friend posted:

I actually really didn't care for it, but I think that's because of the sausage I used. As soon as I smelled it as it started to brown I thought "oh dear, I hope something is going to mask this flavor." Tasted like McDonalds breakfast sausage. The rest of it was great though, especially dipped in garlic bread.

Another soup I made in my dutch oven (which was also a christmas gift) was this tomato soup. Nothing fancy but I was pretty happy with how it looked, especially since I'm just starting to care about plating thanks to this thread.

I love wide-brim bowls like that. I gotta get a few.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Friend posted:

Ah, that's unfortunate. It likely is the sausage, because the Italian sausage I used really added a lot of spice and herb flavors to the broth.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Sous vide akaushi bavette (4hrs @ 132F) with sauteed mushrooms and green beans sitting on top of a simple pan sauce.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008

Random Hero posted:

Sous vide akaushi bavette (4hrs @ 132F) with sauteed mushrooms and green beans sitting on top of a simple pan sauce.

Jesus Mary and Joseph man! That looks incredible.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's so RED :O

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Random Hero posted:

Oh...

...I gotta sit down for a spell.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Random Hero posted:

Great googly-moogly.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Salmon, cucumber, avocado, green onion, salmon skin chips, and fried mahi nuggets with spicy mayo and toasted sesame seeds over sticky rice

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I laughed.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Doom Rooster posted:

Experimental Bananas Foster pizza. Made the sauce by itself, let it cool, used it to sauce the pie, brushed on the bananas then into the oven. Was good, but too soupy. Will use less sauce next time, and instead of just melted ice cream, will make a thicker creme anglaise. Will also precook the bananas a little and then fire in a hotter oven. I cooked it at around 650 so the bananas could cook through, but by that time, the crust had gotten too chewy. It has promise, but needs work.

Ok I'm reading through this read and what the gently caress is this. How did no one comment on this. What in the god drat hell.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
Pasta night tonight! Orecchiete with kale and shrooms in a porcini cream sauce with a duck skin cracklin’ and black truffle pangrattato cuz I dunno, why the hell not?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Steak

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Roasted Donut posted:

Ok I'm reading through this read and what the gently caress is this. How did no one comment on this. What in the god drat hell.

I saw the post, remembered the episode of Doug where they accidentally made banana pizza, laughed... and kept scrolling.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Merkin Muffley posted:

Pasta night tonight! Orecchiete with kale and shrooms in a porcini cream sauce with a duck skin cracklin’ and black truffle pangrattato cuz I dunno, why the hell not?

Decadent as all get out!

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Hi. My cooking repertoire is very thin. I've started looking up recipes for meals I enjoy when eating out or getting takeaway to see if I can do this myself. First attempt this weekend was a Chicken Tikka. Aside from burning the onions a bit, it turned out pretty good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hot drat that looks good.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Before and after pizza pie:

Smoked mozz, spicy pepperoni, pickled jalapenos, everything bagel seasoning

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
White wine sauce, crispy chicken thighs with vegetable medley. Garlic, mushrooms, carrots, red potatoes, spinach.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Random Hero posted:

Quotin' this again.

Beautiful presentation and some seriously good looking food, nice!

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I made Flour & Water's bolognese and tagliatelle from scratch last night and it was ridiculously good and pretty easy if you have the time. I highly recommend their book.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Leftover texas red chile stuffed in an avocado half and covered with cheese and roasted then placed on a bed of rice. Black beans on the side, alongside with the avocado I roasted some golden cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices dusted with a little chili powder which were tossed with some mint and feta.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

That Works posted:

Leftover texas red chile stuffed in an avocado half and covered with cheese and roasted then placed on a bed of rice. Black beans on the side, alongside with the avocado I roasted some golden cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices dusted with a little chili powder which were tossed with some mint and feta.

I'm strictly in the 'don't cook avocados' camp, but holy hell that looks like a fantastic meal.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

angor posted:

I'm strictly in the 'don't cook avocados' camp, but holy hell that looks like a fantastic meal.

They don't really cook, just the cheese on top gets browned and the avocado is just a bit warm.

also thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Decided to do some BudgetBytes stuff this week. Pork and peanut dragon noodles and a thai cucumber salad.