Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Remember, if the Hunter's explosive-immune, that doesn't mean that his armor or the building around him is. You can still shred him and expose him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

also if you blast away the floor under him, the nerd does still take falling damage.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
SEQUEL WHEN.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Fuzz posted:

SEQUEL WHEN.

no sequel until they add a heavy weapon using Chosen!!!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There is a mod that randomizes the Chosen weapon you get from them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Bogart posted:

There is a mod that randomizes the Chosen weapon you get from them.

I want a fourth Chosen weapon, an alien cannon and grenade launcher. It's unfair Grenadiers were left out.

NuttO
Oct 22, 2001

sold fifty gold sixty platinum
a grenadier chosen with the ability to launch grenades across the entire map

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

NuttO posted:

a grenadier chosen with the ability to launch grenades across the entire map

:gizz:

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

Node posted:

I want a fourth Chosen weapon, an alien cannon and grenade launcher. It's unfair Grenadiers were left out.

That’s the mod they’re talking about. I’m phone posting or I’d link it. Chosen Reward Variety, or something similar. I believe it’s one of the featured mods on the workshop page currently.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hello xcom thread. I've been playing through WotC and am curious: am I going to get an upgrade to make Reapers not rear end? My normal snipers can beat their damage with their pistols, never mind how much they do with their snipers.

I've killed all the chosen and two rulers (snake and archon), though I'm not super far in the main story I think (need to skulljack a codex brain). I even ended up with a second Reaper through a covert action but they seem like an extremely distant third among the faction classes.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Hello xcom thread. I've been playing through WotC and am curious: am I going to get an upgrade to make Reapers not rear end? My normal snipers can beat their damage with their pistols, never mind how much they do with their snipers.

I've killed all the chosen and two rulers (snake and archon), though I'm not super far in the main story I think (need to skulljack a codex brain). I even ended up with a second Reaper through a covert action but they seem like an extremely distant third among the faction classes.

Remote Start. Upgrade their weapons. Claymores.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

IcePhoenix posted:

Mobility and stealth, combined with their explosives. Claymores can be setup without revealing the Reaper, and can be detonated by other explosives, or simply shot by other squadmates.

Reapers make unparalleled scouts due to their virtually free movement around enemies, and their increased mobility while in Shadow. They can also mark enemies so that you can see their location even after they leave your line of sight, so you never lose track of them.

Reapers, appropriately enough, can become *excellent* at securing kills - with a skill that gives them increased damage if the target's already been damaged this turn, as well as several skills that allow them to remain in Shadow even after shooting, in one case requiring it to be a kill-shot.

If your Reapers are acting like frontline soldiers and getting into straight shootouts, you're using them wrong.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Reapers are really just extremely stealthy grenadiers

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

IcePhoenix posted:

Oh god yes, Reapers are awesome. Get the perk where there's no increase on reveal chance on a kill - it's not clear from the description, but the base chance is 0%. With that perk taking shots from shadow never reveals as long as all your shots kill. Then just keep the Reaper hidden ahead of your squad and pick off wounded enemies with flank shots; you end up with essentially free flanks + you'll never accidentally activate a pod again. Claymores and remote start are also incredible.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 14, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Most important thing to make reapers work is squad size upgrades.

At a certain point, individual pods stop being threatening - the only way you're going to be in trouble is if you stumble into another pod in the middle of fighting the first one. The reaper lets you be as aggressive as necessary to kill the first pod without any risk of further activations.

Yes, the reaper themselves is a little anemic damage-wise (unless you can make Remote Start work for you, which is glorious when it does but is unreliable), but the scouting information is like a party-wide buff that makes all your other soldiers way more effective.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Also, for gods sake, get Banish on your reaper as soon as possible and slap the best extended magazine mod you have on their weapon. Dumping a full reaper clip is likely to kill anything you're targeting immediately, even Chosen or Sectopods (at least if you've stripped their armor already, or lucked out and rolled Shred as an XCOM talent on reaper)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Also, if you have Tactical Rigging or whatever, the item slot skill, give your Reaper special ammo. A well-placed Banish with an extended mag will basically 100% guaranteed obliterate a Sectopod if your Reaper has Bluescreen rounds, while viper/dragon ammo gives a flat +1 damage against everything, and the other ammo types are all useful in their own ways. Talon rounds are deceptively lethal since Reapers get a ton of flanking crits and have a comparatively high critical damage bonus already.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

And dont forget repeater + expanded mag. With superior quality on both you have good odds on just instantly killing any target and who cares about it's hp or armor.

If you can get lucky enough to get all the parts it's something like an 80% execution chance.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

And dont forget repeater + expanded mag. With superior quality on both you have good odds on just instantly killing any target and who cares about it's hp or armor.

If you can get lucky enough to get all the parts it's something like an 80% execution chance.

Yeah with superior repeater + superior expanded magazine you can just straight up kill Chosen in one action a majority of the time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
My first playthrough of War of the Chosen I scored a resistance order, 'Between the Eyes', that meant any Lost would die on any hit and I've been unable to generate that order since, it's driving me crazy.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

That's a Reapers order IIRC. If you really want to try to grind for it, improve your relationship with the Reapers and do whatever Resistance Order ops they come up with, I guess.

(It really is a crazy convenient order sometimes, I always wish I had it when I don't)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks for the Reaper responses! Some things I wanted to respond to and hopefully get clarity on.

Definitely not using them as frontline soldiers, which also sort of limits how good claymore can be. I love tossing claymores into a pack and then hitting it with a grenadier, though. Will try using them as a more scout-y role with the advice from the thread but I feel like that's gonna get them killed.

I've upgraded their weapons as far as I can (my only research available is data caches and my Shadow Chamber list is empty) but they do...I think 6-7? Might be 7-8. Meanwhile my regular snipers do I think 10-12 or 11-13 + whatever special ammo I give them (which I can't do with Reapers).

Remote start is hilarious and good but the opportunity to use it has been pretty rare.

I keep forgetting to use weapon augments and the expanded mag + banish is definitely something that seems good.

Oh and as far as squad size upgrades go...of course I have both of them, but while I could use it to "make a Reaper work" I've instead been using it to "use better soldiers" which is surprisingly more effective!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

IcePhoenix posted:

Definitely not using them as frontline soldiers, which also sort of limits how good claymore can be. I love tossing claymores into a pack and then hitting it with a grenadier, though. Will try using them as a more scout-y role with the advice from the thread but I feel like that's gonna get them killed.

It's only gonna get them killed if they get revealed, and that won't happen if you don't reveal them by taking non-kill shots or have an enemy run right into them (which shouldn't happen because you'll be keeping them off to the side).

The thing about Reapers is that they let you potentially erase an entire pod, or possibly even multiple if you're lucky, without your squad ever losing concealment. And even after that, their stealthiness lets you scout ahead and have the rest of your squad engage the remaining enemies on their own terms, without surprises lurking in the fog. These are both immensely powerful advantages.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dan Didio posted:

My first playthrough of War of the Chosen I scored a resistance order, 'Between the Eyes', that meant any Lost would die on any hit and I've been unable to generate that order since, it's driving me crazy.

I've never seen it :argh:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Thanks for the Reaper responses! Some things I wanted to respond to and hopefully get clarity on.

I've upgraded their weapons as far as I can (my only research available is data caches and my Shadow Chamber list is empty) but they do...I think 6-7? Might be 7-8. Meanwhile my regular snipers do I think 10-12 or 11-13 + whatever special ammo I give them (which I can't do with Reapers).

Remote start is hilarious and good but the opportunity to use it has been pretty rare.

I keep forgetting to use weapon augments and the expanded mag + banish is definitely something that seems good.

Oh and as far as squad size upgrades go...of course I have both of them, but while I could use it to "make a Reaper work" I've instead been using it to "use better soldiers" which is surprisingly more effective!

Once you get the Silent Killer perk your Reapers should basically never get revealed and can kill pretty much at will. They do low damage, but should basically always be flanking the enemy since they give you near-perfect battlefield vision.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I used to put AP rounds with my Reapers, but this thread opened my eyes to the utter comedy of giving them Talon rounds. Give the, those and their damage output is on par with snipers.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

IcePhoenix posted:

Reapers don't get spotted by the enemy unless they're close enough to have a tickle fight. If you think that makes scouting dangerous that's on you.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

IcePhoenix posted:

This is why I like the Remote Start Purifiers mod. gently caress if it's OP or not, it's fun!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

dyzzy posted:

Reapers don't get spotted by the enemy unless they're close enough to have a tickle fight. If you think that makes scouting dangerous that's on you.

People keep talking about an ability that let's them shoot without being revealed but the only ones I've seen that are like that (that I can remember) is sting (which is either one shot or has a long cooldown) or an ability that does't increase the chance to reveal but still checks to reveal after every shot, so as soon as I lose my coinflip they gon' die.

marshmallow creep posted:

This is why I like the Remote Start Purifiers mod. gently caress if it's OP or not, it's fun!

I have recently discovered the joy of using ignitefuse on Purifiers so this speaks to me.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

IcePhoenix posted:

People keep talking about an ability that let's them shoot without being revealed but the only ones I've seen that are like that (that I can remember) is sting (which is either one shot or has a long cooldown) or an ability that does't increase the chance to reveal but still checks to reveal after every shot, so as soon as I lose my coinflip they gon' die.

I have recently discovered the joy of using ignitefuse on Purifiers so this speaks to me.

The chance to reveal starts at 0%, gets increased after a shot, and then gets rolled.

So if you only land killshots, you will literally never reveal with that skill.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FoolyCharged posted:

The chance to reveal starts at 0%, gets increased after a shot, and then gets rolled.

So if you only land killshots, you will literally never reveal with that skill.

It starts at 50%

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't really get a lot of use out of the shoot without being observed skill. Given you can re-enter stealth twice and have two claymores, that's about as much participation as I need out of my reapers in a normal mission. I barely even remember to use Sting.

Using reapers for scouting is 100% the right call anyway. Someone has to do the scouting and reapers are a lot better at it than other classes. And scouting is massively important in XCOM 2.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

IcePhoenix posted:

It starts at 50%

Only without that ability. With it as long as you get killshots it starts at 0.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

IcePhoenix posted:

It starts at 50%

Fooly is right- the base chance is 0%. But when you shoot, it bumps it up to 50% and then immediately rolls for breaking stealth, then to 80/90% (I forget) after the next shot.

So the 'kills don't raise chance to lose stealth' skill means it will stay at 0% all the time, unless you miss or don't kill while shooting.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That would have been really cool if the ability mentioned that instead of just saying the chance to reveal doesn't increase, since there's no way to know otherwise that the chance doesn't start at 50% by default.

That does still leave me with the problem of doing enough damage for killshots with their pea shooters though :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

See, the part that the game does a loving terrible job of telling you is that you start with a 0 percent chance to reveal and the reveal chance only increases after it checks to see if the target is killed. Normal behavior is 0 -> 50 -> 80 -> (I can't remember). Without Silent Killer, it automatically increments to 50, because there's no reason to check if the target was killed or not. With it, it only increments if the target is not killed. Similarly, with Silent Killer, if you don't make a killshot, but make the "stay in concealment" roll, any subsequent killshots will be at 50% to reveal, and any subsequent non-fatal shots will be at 80%. Etc.

Also, you act like putting a Reaper in a flanking position means they're going to get gibbed instantly. They're no more fragile than any other soldier, except they can basically always get some combination of flanking, high ground, and high cover.

IcePhoenix posted:

That does still leave me with the problem of doing enough damage for killshots with their pea shooters though :v:
They're still flanking shots. Slap a laser sight and talon rounds on those bad boys and you've got a near-guaranteed crit on harder targets, plus an inherent 2 AP when attacking from stealth and probably a +1 damage against already damaged targets. They'll never be outright murderers outside of some clutch Banishes or Claymores, but their ability to scout and safely clean up weakened targets is really great too. Guaranteed damage, even if its low, is nothing to sneeze at, and they should really never miss given their speed.

e: Forgot about Soul Harvester too, so yeah, they can get up to 100% crit rates with some doing, which makes their damage skyrocket.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 14, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ravenfood posted:

Also, you act like putting a Reaper in a flanking position means they're going to get gibbed instantly. They're no more fragile than any other soldier, except they can basically always get some combination of flanking, high ground, and high cover.

"Using them as a scout" to me means that they are ahead of the group and therefore more likely to be targeted. That's generally where I have my rangers/templar because between their melee and passives they tend to kill things and then ignore damage from the first attack against them.

Obviously I can have the reapers and rangers on the front lines, so to speak, but the Reaper lacks the survivability that the Rangers have in that regard.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

IcePhoenix posted:

That would have been really cool if the ability mentioned that instead of just saying the chance to reveal doesn't increase, since there's no way to know otherwise that the chance doesn't start at 50% by default.

So Reapers have natively more crit damage than almost anyone else. Its 3,4,5 based on tier which means when they crit on tier 3 it does 11-12 damage.

This is boosted further with blood trail as a +1 so long as the target was damaged that turn.

They can also have ridiculous crit rates, second only to Rangers. Soul Harvester can add up to a 20% crit buff, you can basically always get the 50/40 base crit for having them flank an enemy and you can add on laser sights for an additional +20 and talon rounds for another +20 and +1 crit damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

IcePhoenix posted:

They likely wont one shot an enemy, even with flanking. But they're great at finishing off opponents who your other soldiers already hit; I practically always end up with some guy with 1-4 hp remaining, and instead of having another soldier take the shot I can have the reaper off to the right or left of the enemies taking ~100% accurate flanking shots at the wounded, no chance of reveal, and they don't have to worry about getting shot at since they stay in shadow.