Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Gervasius posted:

From top to bottom:

- General public mobilization

- Air raid warning

- Nuclear - biological - chemical alert

- Fire alert

- Natural disaster warning

- All clear

The more literal impression of the last one to me is "Get back to work"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AceRimmer posted:

OK how about people's experiences with Cold War civil defense stuff in Eastern Europe, instead of Clancy chat?

As a kid I remember seeing a similar chart of what different air raid siren tones meant in my tower block in Yugoslavia.

They still do siren tests here every first Wednesday of the month so you get used to that. But then overt the Christmas holidays I'm pretty sure they went off on Saturday or something, it took me a while to realize that something was off and at that point it was too late to do anything so I just sat and waited for the missiles to arrive, but they never did :(

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

They still do siren tests here every first Wednesday of the month so you get used to that. But then overt the Christmas holidays I'm pretty sure they went off on Saturday or something, it took me a while to realize that something was off and at that point it was too late to do anything so I just sat and waited for the missiles to arrive, but they never did :(

Wasn't it to commemorate the dead miners?

I wonder what tourists must think when all the sirens in the city start seemingly randomly blaring off in the middle of the day.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

I wonder what tourists must think when all the sirens in the city start seemingly randomly blaring off in the middle of the day.

Sirens being tested every first Wednesday of the month happens in other countries too.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
[quote="jhonnypeh"]
That includes big government spending to the tune of 5 billion EUR divided between four years. Some of the reasoning being that the people will not have to go hungry for the sake of keeping state budget in balance. 
[\quote]

*A European Commission bureaucrat glances towards Estonia*

- No.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

There have been large protests in Bosnia that I was completely unaware of

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah. And it was communicated really badly; most people around me were seriously freaked out by it.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Hehe, Lukashenko is like, "welp, you guys want to lose you only ally in the west? Alas, what can we do, not our decision"

and then even dares speak belarusian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2oQhTDuRHQ

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Would Belarus make a good bear trap for Russia's army if they went guerilla? Or would they be overrun quickly?
I've never thought Russia to be weak since it has many nukes, but how strong is it's army anyway?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Would Belarus make a good bear trap for Russia's army if they went guerilla? Or would they be overrun quickly?
I've never thought Russia to be weak since it has many nukes, but how strong is it's army anyway?

Our army is a loving joke. Conscription and we are part of their doctrine, which noone knows we we probably loving surrender immediately. Our military capability is no the the question here, the important thing is that we are an ally from hell. Russia invaded Georgia in 2008, did we as their best friend and ally recongnize those new republics? nope. When they invaded ukrane and occupied crimea, did we as obedient lackeys recognize Crimea as part of Russia? Nope again! We are the worst ally you can hope for. Also we cost a lot, Belarusians are used to a certain standard of living, you better provide or we'll make you look bad.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Why would Belarus fight Russia?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Because they are awful?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I guess our esteemed goons here are thinking of the whole Russia-Belarus unification going VERY sour?

I dont think Russia would invade tho. That's Clancychat.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

As long as our tyrant draws breaths there will be no unification

E: no, I don't think Russians will invade their only ally. Poles will probasbly go nuts

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sekenr posted:

As long as our tyrant draws breaths there will be no unification

And, I'm guessing, even after that, his sons would keep that from happening.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Young Freud posted:

we will see

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Young Freud posted:

Quite the contrary. Once Joffrey comes of age he will knock off his older siblings, then successfully conquer Russia.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I'll just post this. Its not anything particular, just our complicated relatrionship with germans. Thank loving god its over

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHwbUx7SGbs

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Dawncloack posted:

I guess our esteemed goons here are thinking of the whole Russia-Belarus unification going VERY sour?

I dont think Russia would invade tho. That's Clancychat.

Russia doesn't need to invade, they just shut off the oil and gas.

Meanwhile, Poland has decided to copy the Chinese in Kaliningrad Bay.

https://24-my.info/poland-is-buildi...-its-territory/

quote:

Poland is building a channel through the Baltic spit, to put an end to the “Russian dictatorship” and to expand its territory

Poland intends to create an artificial island in the Kaliningrad (Vistula) Bay is in the process of construction of a ship canal across the Baltic spit, according to the Polish cultural center in Kaliningrad. This channel will allow you to develop navigation bypassing the Russian territories on the Baltic. Stated even that the canal will put an end to the “Russian dictatorship”.

“Under the project of artificial island should have an area of approximately 181 hectares and must be localized in the Vistula Bay. There is collected material that is extracted from the bottom of the Bay when digging (and building a shipping channel through the Baltic spit). Thus, the area of Poland will be more”, – stated in the message. The new island will be visible from space, claims Gazeta Wyborcza.

It is planned that the island will have a height of 2-3 meters above sea level. Currently, Poland does not use this sushi for tourism.

The construction of the canal through the Baltic spit, which will link the Vistula lagoon from Gdansk Bay, is a political project of the former Prime Minister and Chairman of ruling conservative party “law and justice” (PiS) Jaroslaw Kaczynski. The cost of works is estimated at PLN 880 million (236 million 476 thousand dollars), but most likely it will grow.

Additionally, in November 2018, work began on a canal through the Baltic spit. It will be built in the settlement of the New World, where is the narrowest place of the sandy Peninsula. Length of navigable channel will be 1 kilometer, and the depth is 5 meters. It will connect the Baltic sea with Kaliningrad Bay and to the port of Elblag could go larger vessels up to 100 meters and a width of 20 meters.

In Poland declare that the canal, whose construction will be completed in 2022, will allow the intensification of shipping under flags of EU countries in the Gulf, bypassing the territorial waters of Russia. Currently, the pass into the Bay is possible only through the Russian port of Baltiysk (the main naval base of the Baltic fleet), which is very problematic due to lengthy approval procedures.

In the EU there were fears that the channel will have a negative impact on the ecological situation in the region. The Ministry of natural resources in the fall of 2017 also expressed concern about the plans of Poland to construct a canal in the vicinity of the Kaliningrad region, writes The Insider.

Polish media noted that the construction of the canal will put an end to the “Russian dictatorship”. As explained Jaroslaw Kaczynski, this channel is not only economically important for the city and for part of the Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship, but it also demonstrates Polish sovereignty.

The project demonstrates that “the days when the Russians told us what we can and cannot do in our territory is over,” said the brother who was killed in 2010 plane crash near Smolensk Polish President Lech Kaczynski.

Commenting on the statement “various forces” at the potential environmental damage from the project, the politician reminded about the “Nord stream 1 and Nord stream-2”. “The pipeline is a violation of ecological safety in the Baltic sea, and in the construction of the canal there are no threats,” he said.

In 2017, the Minister of natural resources of Russia Sergey Donskoy wrote to the Minister of the environment of Poland Jan Szyszko letter, which noted that the nature of the Baltic spit is extremely vulnerable to human impacts. As noted by Russian experts, the construction of the canal will require coast protection works in order to avoid skidding of the fairway sand. In addition, the experts pointed out, because of melkovodnoe Kaliningrad lagoon will need to conduct extensive dredging for the transaction of large vessels.

The Ministry pointed out that Russia relies on the responsible approach of the Polish authorities to preserve the unique environment and biodiversity of the area, and will also provide information on the project to all the countries of the Baltic region before deciding on the construction.

So build a fake island to assert Polish dominance over Russia while everyone's screaming don't do this it will be an ecological disaster.

Found a video. Always impressed with the Polish tendency to pair informational videos with dramatic music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYwFVYxXWV4

Lukashenko was the one who suggested the Union State with Yeltsin in the 90's, then Putin took control and Batka doesn't seem as interested in unification with Russia now.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 13, 2019

szary
Mar 12, 2014
They've been talking about building that channel for the past 10 years, I'll believe it when I see it.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Currently, Poland does not use this sushi for tourism. 

This is one of the best sentences I've read in a long time

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
For context:

This is the lagoon in which Poland wants to dig a channel. As you can see, there's just one opening communicating with the Baltic Sea, and it's on the eastern end of the lagoon -- deep in the Kaliningrad half. So Polish boats wanting to reach the Baltic from the Vistula Lagoon have to pass through Russian waters, and that gives Russia a way to control Polish naval traffic. A channel makes sense in these conditions.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 13, 2019

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

You just need one man, a shovel and a lot of free time.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Oh look what fun news. President of Gdansk has just been stabbed in the chest during celebrations related to the biggest yearly charity drive in Poland. They're operating on him now.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

For context:

This is the lagoon in which Poland wants to dig a channel. As you can see, there's just one opening communicating with the Baltic Sea, and it's on the eastern end of the lagoon -- deep in the Kaliningrad half. So Polish boats wanting to reach the Baltic from the Vistula Lagoon have to pass through Russian waters, and that gives Russia a way to control Polish naval traffic. A channel makes sense in these conditions.

I noticed all of the news sources screaming about an ecological disaster if Poland goes through with it are Russian. I'm sure they can talk about it for another 10 years.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Oh look what fun news. President of Gdansk has just been stabbed in the chest during celebrations related to the biggest yearly charity drive in Poland. They're operating on him now.

What's the context on this - where does he stand politically and what will the likely fallout be?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

He shouted from the scene of the event that he was wrongfully imprisoned because of PO. He also gave his name, though it was a bit unclear. People speculate that he is a notorious bank robber who got put in jail some years ago. If so, nothing political apart from "judge sentenced me when PO was in power, therefore..."

Although, as the charity drive is immensely criticized by PiS and some church officials (basically because it's secular AND successful), and since the victim is from PO, yes it's going to be politicized if it isn't already.

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 13, 2019

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1084537918088245249
https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1084589399252353025

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 14, 2019

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

For context:

After what happen in Sea of Azov a couple months ago, you can see why the Polish want their own access to the lagoon.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cat Mattress posted:

For context:

Where does the artificial island fit into this?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LeoMarr posted:

Comedy option: in the Russian gap.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LeoMarr posted:

Canal dirt's gotta go somewhere.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

Ahh so that's what it was! It did freak me out a bit, mostly because I realized I had no idea what you're even supposed to do in case it goes off for real one day.

Cat Mattress posted:

Sirens being tested every first Wednesday of the month happens in other countries too.
Maybe, but I don't recall ever hearing them anywhere else though maybe it's selective memory or something.

A stabbing involving Danzig, the least surprising news ever.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Anne Frank Funk posted:

The stabbing was near fatal (it damaged aorta). He had to be reanimated several times (including during the operation) and he lost copious amount of blood. Not sure what are his chances of survival now, but they seem to be pretty low.

Edit: Plenty of unofficial sources say he's dead - at this point they are only waiting for his wife to get her consent to pull the plug.

Gantolandon fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 14, 2019

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Official news just now. And the police even apprehended one internet hyena for his facebook comments on how he'd like for a couple other mayors to be next. One out of thousands, so that's something.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Official news just now. And the police even apprehended one internet hyena for his facebook comments on how he'd like for a couple other mayors to be next. One out of thousands, so that's something.

Was it an actual threat of violence or just someone hyperbolically voicing their dislike of politicians? Can guillotine jokes land you in prison?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what do you mean, jokes?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Apparently it was a direct result of this exchange of tweets:

https://twitter.com/jbrudzinski/status/1084560921001947141

So basically, a right wing internet user (in Poland called just "an internet user"), expressed hope that presidents of Poznan and Wroclaw will be next.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I can't imagine the Russians ever accidentally letting a ship sink in Poland's new ditch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Gdansk guy nie żiyje.

In more:laffo: news,

quote:

A Czech pensioner has been jailed for four years for terrorism offences which he tried to stage as jihadist attacks.

Jaromir Balda, 71, felled trees to block railway lines and left messages at the scene proclaiming "Allahu Akbar" - or "God is great" in Arabic.

Two passenger trains hit the trees, but nobody was injured.

On top of his conviction, the court ordered psychiatric treatment for the far-right sympathiser. He said he hoped to spread fear of Muslim migrants.

"I did not want to commit terror, I wanted to resist it," he reportedly told the regional court in Prague.

The retired electrician left the trees on tracks near the city of Mlada Boleslav, about 30 miles (50km) north of Prague in 2017.

Nine passengers were on board the first train, while the second - with six passengers and three staff - hit the tree at 80km/h.

An expert reportedly said it was lucky the trains did not derail.

The notes he left at the scene of the crime suggested future attacks on Czech soil and called for violence against "Czech unbelieving dogs", news website Novinky.cz reports.

Local media pointed out the irony of an elderly Czech man seemingly radicalised by anti-migrant rhetoric being among the first in the country to be convicted of terror offences.

An elderly local man tries to pull off a false flag terror operation and is one of the first terrorists to be convicted :discourse: