Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bump_fn posted:

more👏women👏billionaires👏

no👏more👏billionaires👏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

akadajet posted:

no👏more👏billionaires👏

wooosh

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/vikkasahaj/status/1084514027173232642

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/01/13/landlord-rents-1500-studio-to-two-cats-hits-peak-silicon-valley/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

“It’s just a weird thing that happened, that’s all,” said Callisch, who works in marketing for Palo Alto-based analytics software company Nyansa.

hmmmmmmmm

:thunk:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
reveal yourself coward

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

jesus christ this paragraph

quote:

“They definitely have the nicest cat apartment in Silicon Valley,” said Good, a custom furniture designer. He recently started his own business designing and selling phone booths for offices with open floor plans, to give workers a quiet, private space to take calls.

they have the nicest cat apartment in silicon valley says man who designs shame boxes for open floor plan hell

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
techbubb.le 4.6: nicest catte apartment in silicon valley

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

love too have my safety critical vehicle partially dependent on entertainment grade software and computer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

prisoner of waffles posted:

love too have my safety critical vehicle partially dependent on entertainment grade software and computer

i'm the replies telling him to just reboot his MCU with this 15 second three button hold sequence if he wants to control anything in his vehicle while traveling at 70MPH down the highway.

i mean, presumably both the steering wheel and the pedals still work, and the MCU is just feedback and control for the actual cruise control system, but still.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

techbubb.le 4.6: nicest catte apartment in silicon valley

the best ever catte apartment in silicon valley,
with a couple of cattes, that'd been friends since kittens,
one was named Tina, and the other was Louise,
and they snuggled every day in their cat bed :3:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
actually, wait, no, i'll be the guy who upon discovering that my autonomously controlled car is no longer responding to control input decides to take out my phone and record myself repeatedly tapping the screen while hurtling down the highway at 70MPH

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

infernal machines posted:

actually, wait, no, i'll be the guy who upon discovering that my autonomously controlled car is no longer responding to control input decides to take out my phone and record myself repeatedly tapping the screen while hurtling down the highway at 70MPH

i assume that $TSLA autopilot is not fail-catastrophic (not fail-safe either) and that it still responds to driver inputs when the autopilot crashes

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Shame Boy posted:

hail satan

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i too would assume that. that said, you'd have to be fundamentally loving stupid to see it happening and whip out your phone to record yourself loving with it rather than try to immediately take control of the vehicle.

in a sense it's unsurprising that the people who use autopilot choose to use autopilot, and the reason they die/get injured as often as they do in the way they do is pretty obvious

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Shame Boy posted:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

*slapping non-responsive car tablet, narrowly misses pedestrian*

“did you see that guy jump in front of my car?? boy I tell ya once they perfect this auto driving, drivers will be a lot safer”

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

elon "safety third" musk

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy posted:

jesus christ this paragraph

they have the nicest cat apartment in silicon valley says man who designs shame boxes for open floor plan hell

when i was looking for a place to board my doggo i ran across this operation in santa clara

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
okay but i wanna know about the cat ultra suite

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

way back in like 2001 my boss had some fancy $50 doggy daycare with webcams for his precious purebred retriever puppy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what's a dog supposed to do with a TV

ComradeCosmobot posted:

okay but i wanna know about the cat ultra suite

nothing but laptops and live birds

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

quote:

“We accommodate almost all requests,” Wag Hotels Director of Marketing Kemoa Frederickson tells SF Weekly. “One recent request that stands out is a client who booked their dog in one of our Ultra Suites and requested that we play episodes of Law & Order on TV. It was their dog’s favorite show.”
http://www.sfweekly.com/culture/feature-culture/pets-lap-up-luxury-at-wag-hotels/

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

haveblue posted:

nothing but laptops and live birds

i watched blade runner 2049 with my dog, and her interest level exploded the minute Harrison Ford and his pooch showed up

so dogs for sure will watch either dogs or silver foxes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you think this is bad wait until you see daycare prices

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

qirex posted:

if you think this is bad wait until you see daycare prices
will there be an article when I quarantine two children in a kitchenless grandmother unit

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

you never left a radio on for your dog? its supposed to give the illusion of someone being there so they don't howl trying to find our where everyone went or something.

i could absolutely believe a dog "loves" law and order - really its just a quiet-ish show for background noise

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

you never left a radio on for your dog? its supposed to give the illusion of someone being there so they don't howl trying to find our where everyone went or something.

i could absolutely believe a dog "loves" law and order - really its just a quiet-ish show for background noise

huge fan of dick wolf

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i was going to write big dick wolf fan, but that's just needlessly ambiguous

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hobbesmaster posted:

nah we had cats, they never care if anyone is there or not until they get hungry

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

huge fan of dick wolf

dsyp

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

haveblue posted:

how does a dog order room service

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

bark until someone feeds them

seems more like a cat thing to do though

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
At the University I work at Bird showed up and dropped off several hundred scooters without ever talking to the University or campus police or the city

The students loved them off course since this is a stem University with a huge campus but they were basically dumping them everywhere the instant they were done riding, including in trees, inside buildings, etc

The University police contacted Bird and told them to pick their poo poo up, got no response so they impounded hundreds of the scooters

Bird's response was to dump off hundreds more scooters on campus

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

very carefully

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fabricated posted:

At the University I work at Bird showed up and dropped off several hundred scooters without ever talking to the University or campus police or the city

The students loved them off course since this is a stem University with a huge campus but they were basically dumping them everywhere the instant they were done riding, including in trees, inside buildings, etc

The University police contacted Bird and told them to pick their poo poo up, got no response so they impounded hundreds of the scooters

Bird's response was to dump off hundreds more scooters on campus

pretty sure they're run by one of those captain planet villains who is all like "muahahaha I love trash!"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I wonder what those things cost given they've basically been treating them as dispoasble. Those things cant be that cheap, batteries and everything they're probably even still OEM cheap af from china like at least $100 to 200 i'd have guessed? Especially isn't their payment model like $1 an hr or something? You'd have to get a shitload of use out of each one to even be worth it, not including pickup/chjarging costs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how to burn though hundreds of millions in vc buying capital assets and never see any value from them

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Xaris posted:

I wonder what those things cost given they've basically been treating them as dispoasble. Those things cant be that cheap, batteries and everything they're probably even still OEM cheap af from china like at least $100 to 200 i'd have guessed? Especially isn't their payment model like $1 an hr or something? You'd have to get a shitload of use out of each one to even be worth it, not including pickup/chjarging costs.

to a vc-backed place, $100-200 is basically disposable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

isn't the thinking that theres some sort of money laundering going on there?