Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Also, most places that do framing have occasional sales that offer pretty big discounts. Worth watching out for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Dunno about Hobby Lobby, but places like Michael's and AC Moore will also periodically run sales on their custom framing up to as much as 50-60% off, so you can always keep an eye out for that. It can still be pricey, though: I had one of my great-aunt's oil paintings framed for my mom and even though it's a small piece (not bigger than 11x14, but an oddball size), it still ended up costing me about $200 even with the sale price. A large part of that was the framing i picked out, though. There were a few that I liked, but the one that was absolutely perfect and looked best with the painting was the most expensive one, because of course it was.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hobby Lobby is a chud superstore and if you shop there your money will go to incredibly regressive causes. The owner also literally bought a ton of Sumerian artifacts from ISIS and smuggled them into the US

Not that this has anything to do with the quality of their framing services, I just think people should be aware

They don't use barcode scanners because UPCs might be the mark of the beast lmao

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The Bloop posted:

Hobby Lobby is a chud superstore and if you shop there your money will go to incredibly regressive causes. The owner also literally bought a ton of Sumerian artifacts from ISIS and smuggled them into the US

Not that this has anything to do with the quality of their framing services, I just think people should be aware

They don't use barcode scanners because UPCs might be the mark of the beast lmao

Yeah, my suggestion of Hobby Lobby was to be taken with the implied “if you’re willing to shop there.” Same story as Walmart, it’s a super fuckin nasty corporation (for different reasons) but sometimes you go anyhow.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Bloop posted:

... The owner also literally bought a ton of Sumerian artifacts from ISIS and smuggled them into the US

I, uh, hadn't heard about this. :staredog: That's a box not many companies tick.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Thanks all for the continuing tips!

BigFactory posted:

Custom framing is expensive, but if art pieces are standard dimensions or can fit into off the shelf frames with a custom matte, that’s not super expensive. I don’t know about hobby lobby but michaels frames are fairly cheap and I’m sure it’s the same stuff. Or you can order a frame from amazon and have a piece of glass cut for it.

Oh, can I go to a Joann's or Michael's (sounds like I ought to avoid Hobby Lobby) and just pay them a reduced amount to matte the artwork? I would probably be less nervous about taking artwork that's already set like that and just sticking it inside a frame.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

surf rock posted:

Thanks all for the continuing tips!

Oh, can I go to a Joann's or Michael's (sounds like I ought to avoid Hobby Lobby) and just pay them a reduced amount to matte the artwork? I would probably be less nervous about taking artwork that's already set like that and just sticking it inside a frame.

Having a matte cut is like $5. It’s custom built frames that get very expensive. If you have valuable artwork, you may not want to slap it in a $40 frame/mate from michaels. If it’s odd sized, you might not have the option. If it’s just a print and it fits in a standard frame, might be a good choice.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I, uh, hadn't heard about this. :staredog: That's a box not many companies tick.

gently caress Hobby Lobby. Through Burwell v Hobby Lobbby Stores, Inc, they are the ratfuckers who managed to get the SCOTUS to agree that "closely held for-profit corporations" may be exempt from regulation that their owners object religiously to.

They went all the way to the SCOTUS because they didn't want to pay for birth control because they find it sinful, and the conservative Justices decided that it was A-OK for a for-profit secular corporation to have 'sincerely held religious beliefs' that could be compromised by being forced to follow the law.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Liquid Communism posted:

gently caress Hobby Lobby. Through Burwell v Hobby Lobbby Stores, Inc, they are the ratfuckers who managed to get the SCOTUS to agree that "closely held for-profit corporations" may be exempt from regulation that their owners object religiously to.

They went all the way to the SCOTUS because they didn't want to pay for birth control because they find it sinful, and the conservative Justices decided that it was A-OK for a for-profit secular corporation to have 'sincerely held religious beliefs' that could be compromised by being forced to follow the law.

It also found that deeply held beliefs don't need to comport with facts. It was a really hosed up ruling.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The artifact smuggling was the owner's personal money to make the new Museum of the Bible in DC (featured in a recent issue of National Geographic!)
He did get in trouble and paid a big cash in addition to permanent object seizure.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
The best thing about that museum is that almost all of the books and artifacts on displays are replicas.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"the owner's personal money" is literally the profits from shopping there in this case, so while it wasn't technically the company itself doing the thing, giving them money still supports that poo poo directly

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Bad Munki posted:

Bummer, it was close. If you were in Iowa, I would offer my shop. My glass and mat cutting isn't up and running yet (although they're on the short list) but I have a pneumatic v-nailer that works great, and that would have gotten you a big chunk of the way there on the cheap.

I live in Louisville and was curious what you'd charge for an odd size poster? I got two mid-century vintage travel posters that I've been wanting to frame. I'm more looking for quotes to get a sense of what I need to save. Both are from the 50s/60s so they'll need an archival treatment. I need to get them out of the shipping roll they came in. :( One of the frame stores I called quoted me $150 each but that seemed too low!

for the curious. Examples from google

David Klein for TWA, 25"x40"

and McKnight Kauffer for American Airlines, 30"x40"

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
If any of y'all are thrift store shoppers--always check the picture section. Antique/hardwood frames for less than $10 if your lucky. My framer has no problem re-purposing the old frames and it saves hundreds.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Yea, that's my plan for a hybrid DIY setup: get a mat cutter and do the mats/assembly myself with repurposed frames.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Nosre posted:

Yea, that's my plan for a hybrid DIY setup: get a mat cutter and do the mats/assembly myself with repurposed frames.

Good plan. Tip: watch a couple videos on mat cutting, and have some spares. Usually mats are cut bevelled, and it's super easy to either cut the bevel so the hole is larger or smaller than you anticipated due to the direction of the bevel. I used to cut mats for my artwork back in school and it always took me a couple tries when I started to remember the direction the bevels went.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It bugs me when I see someone cut too far on the mat.

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
One really lovely thing about frames is that they don't hold any value. Fortunately you can use this to your advantage. If you're not too picky about sizes and looks, start scouring your local Craigs/Offer Up/FB Marketplace and do a search for art, or framed art, or even wall mirrors and you will find hundreds of listings. Ask the seller to confirm the size of the frame opening to make sure it fits your intended art then just cut a matte to make it perfect. You can pick up "used" framed art VERY cheap. I bought a large framed mirror, popped out the mirror and repainted the frame to look like a fancy $300 frame and it cost me about $40.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
LG decided to cater to people hiding their televisions: a 65" rollout OLED is slated for later this year.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/lg-rollable-oled-tv-r,review-6070.html

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Nice all it takes is a dumb fuckin box sitting out when not in use

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

2029:

"We figured out a way to roll up the box!"

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

gently caress your office watermelons

From https://www.thespruce.com/mid-century-design-chicago-apartment-4098388

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

PRADA SLUT posted:

Nice all it takes is a dumb fuckin box sitting out when not in use

I personally wouldn't put a television anywhere that I felt the need to hide it when not in use, but if people are gonna hide their screens the dumb fuckin box probably looks better than whatever they're doing now. (Besides, you just know people are probably going to put the box on a rising shelf.)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

People are going to put the big box on their fireplace mantles.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can’t wait for the shelf mounted to drywall

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Your TV room is already going to be clearly oriented around the TV, so it's gonna look kinda weird when the centerpiece of the room isn't visible.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Your TV room is already going to be clearly oriented around the TV, so it's gonna look kinda weird when the centerpiece of the room isn't visible.

That's why, when I'm not using my tv, I just have it display a picture of a box. Best of both worlds!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Someone's gonna buy it because they think it'll be the perfect kitchen TV.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bad Munki posted:

That's why, when I'm not using my tv, I just have it display a picture of a box. Best of both worlds!

I've always liked how when you have an idle Chromecast it just shows pretty pictures.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

It bugs me there aren't Chromecast "channels" I can subscribe to, like I want to show classy art this week but pictures of monster trucks next week.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

bEatmstrJ posted:

One really lovely thing about frames is that they don't hold any value. Fortunately you can use this to your advantage. If you're not too picky about sizes and looks, start scouring your local Craigs/Offer Up/FB Marketplace and do a search for art, or framed art, or even wall mirrors and you will find hundreds of listings. Ask the seller to confirm the size of the frame opening to make sure it fits your intended art then just cut a matte to make it perfect. You can pick up "used" framed art VERY cheap. I bought a large framed mirror, popped out the mirror and repainted the frame to look like a fancy $300 frame and it cost me about $40.

Hope it wasn't an engineered mirror

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

cakesmith handyman posted:

It bugs me there aren't Chromecast "channels" I can subscribe to, like I want to show classy art this week but pictures of monster trucks next week.

What's the diff

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

LG decided to cater to people hiding their televisions: a 65" rollout OLED is slated for later this year.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/lg-rollable-oled-tv-r,review-6070.html

Most living rooms have windows. You generally want to use the window or the TV, and when you watch TV you don't want window glare. Now you can put the TV on the wall with the window, and have better furniture placement options.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

What's the diff

Hey buddy there's a huge difference between photos of naked ladies and impressionist paintings of monster trucks :colbert:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Nosre posted:

But then source the frames and do final assembly yourself. Frame quality is less important if the art is insulated and only touching the acid-free mat, so frame be where I would (and plan to) cut costs.

Can't overstate this enough. A big reason framing is so expensive is the material cost is high. Improper matting will discolor or damage artwork and cutting it requires some special tools and a very steady hand. It's definitely possible and I can answer some questions if you chose to DIY it but I wouldn't expect an order of magnitude in savings or anything.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

That wall is waaay too cluttered. The prints or that sculpture would be ok (I hate metal wall sculptures but whatever) but why both??

And the watermelons are clearly for the melonfeast they're having after they finish talking pictures.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I wish there were more good interior design blogs that don’t feature meticulously staged photos. Like, sure people can and should neaten up their rooms before posting, but I feel like it would be easier for me to pull ideas and inspiration from a place that actually looks lived in.

I’m not looking for pictures of cluttered houses or anything, more examples of integrating a nice, consistent style in a busy home. Unfortunately, searching for this kind of thing leads to a lot of DIY/HGTVesque momblogs rather than actual decorating advice.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Three prints in a line or four in a square would work, but the four as is doesn't. They look too crammed and the one on the end is presumably the one they don't really like and are trying to hide...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BadSamaritan posted:

I’m not looking for pictures of cluttered houses or anything, more examples of integrating a nice, consistent style in a busy home. Unfortunately, searching for this kind of thing leads to a lot of DIY/HGTVesque momblogs rather than actual decorating advice.

IIRC peanut posted a bunch of such things earlier in the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

BadSamaritan posted:

I wish there were more good interior design blogs that don’t feature meticulously staged photos. Like, sure people can and should neaten up their rooms before posting, but I feel like it would be easier for me to pull ideas and inspiration from a place that actually looks lived in.

I agree. I'm trying to find photos of homes similar to my own for color schemes, and a lot of the design blogs are super staged. As in, every item in the picture is decorative and there's no practical items in view anywhere. I'm going to have a TV and various consoles in my living room, what do I do with the wires? What about a clothes hamper in the bedrooms, or toiletries in the bath? Of course I will be keeping the ugliest necessaries out of view, but it would be nice to find a blog that didn't require hiding everything you actually use and then filling the empty space with sculptural vases full of lemons.

I've been moving my kitchen more and more towards a "every tool within reach" functional aesthetic and I've gotten complements on the design. As things break or get lost I've been replacing them with pieces that are more attractive, but usefulness is always going to be my overriding focus.