Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Chinese bicycle graveyards, but with scooters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

if you think this is bad wait until you see daycare prices

we pay just under $2k for one unit of babby

works out to like $90/day

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

isn't the thinking that theres some sort of money laundering going on there?

iirc at least some of the scooter schemes were purported to be a way of getting money out of china, at least

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

qirex posted:

pretty sure they're run by one of those captain planet villains who is all like "muahahaha I love trash!"
They only recently removed most of their scooters from campus when lawyers started getting called

I think it was more likely because some of our more enterprising electrical engineering and computer science students started making, using, and selling kits for turning their scooters into YOUR scooters

One of my student workers has like 4 ex-Bird scooters in his apartment he converted

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

iirc at least some of the scooter schemes were purported to be a way of getting money out of china, at least

a few months back there was a big article about how a company that makes the scooters for most of these companies is basically dumping them to the rental places to get volume up in anticipation of their ipo in china

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i kinda wanna get a Bird scooter to make into my own. do any of the police auctions around the bay area regularly have them for sale?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Xaris posted:

not including pickup/chjarging costs.

this is handled by incentivizing gig industry serfs to do it for you

Sagebrush posted:

i kinda wanna get a Bird scooter to make into my own. do any of the police auctions around the bay area regularly have them for sale?

grab one off the street and snip it

I visited baltimore recently and these things were everywhere. I wanted to get one to yell at me about how it was calling the cops but apparently poking the buttons and briefly standing on it isn't enough, didn't dare to try more

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
This is my scooter. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My scooter is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My scooter, without me, is useless. Without my scooter, I am useless.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we pay just under $2k for one unit of babby

works out to like $90/day

who dat

who dat gonna pay for the babby

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sagebrush posted:

Here they were almost literally in gigantic piles and no one would bat an eye at you throwing one in your car or truck and driving off because no one cares and also there's a weird bounty system they use to get people to charge them

Students would grab a bunch of dead scooters and store them somewhere because the amount of money you get for charging them and dropping them back off went up the longer they went uncharged

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fabricated posted:

Students would grab a bunch of dead scooters and store them somewhere because the amount of money you get for charging them and dropping them back off went up the longer they went uncharged

haha seriously? they're encouraging people to stockpile scooters and keep them off the street for as long as possible?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

the smooth, resistive touch, of coby kyros

graph fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 14, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well it was supposed to encourage people to go and get the ones left in hard-to-reach locations by paying more the longer they go unattended

but of course if you make a box that says "press this button to get money," people will find the quickest and easiest way of pressing that button

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I assume someone is working on how to discharge them without having to put them back on the street

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

haveblue posted:

haha seriously? they're encouraging people to stockpile scooters and keep them off the street for as long as possible?

yah it's a sliding scale based on state of charge and location. the mythical "12.80 per Lime scooter charge payout" actually works out to be like 1-3 bucks most of the time.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

must be a pretty sweet deal for dorm kids that don't pay their own electricity

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

yeah i'm sure dorm kids are out there hustling to earn three bucks

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

dorms are like $8000 a semester here with a meal plan

But there are people who can just barely afford to go here and people on scholarship money

The kids doing the hustling are the ones renting an apartment or house with like 6 other people to afford it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

when i was looking for a place to board my doggo i ran across this operation in santa clara

is this wag hotels? our dogges stay at one of their locations (it's a national chain) and we like it because they let our dogs share a larger room and they have specialized handlers for our anxiety boy.

they showed us the luxury suites and it's some guillotine poo poo though. it legit looks like a nice room at an above average holiday in. for a dog. our boys just stay in a largish room with two dog beds and a petcam.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

if only these things were just sitting all over the place waiting to be picked up.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

it only becomes remotely profitable if you're ambling around all night in a full sized ford pickup. Lime scooters are literally gasoline fueled

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

a few months back there was a big article about how a company that makes the scooters for most of these companies is basically dumping them to the rental places to get volume up in anticipation of their ipo in china

yeah its this -- i think a lot of the scooter rental companies that are popping up are actually financed by the manufacturers, with a few layers of separation

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://twitter.com/jonny290/status/1084899739143888896

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Saw ones of those where they encased the scooter into the trash with a roll of packaging with an embedded note telling bird to gently caress off

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jonny 290 posted:

it only becomes remotely profitable if you're ambling around all night in a full sized ford pickup. Lime scooters are literally gasoline fueled
The kids here would just find a bunch of them, throw them in their dorm or apartment or something until the bounties maxed out, then charge them somewhere they didn't pay for the electricity which is pretty easy to do here.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
it's 3-6 cents of electricity to fully charge one, the only real cost is labor/transport

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dylan16807 posted:

it's 3-6 cents of electricity to fully charge one, the only real cost is labor/transport

yeah I'm saying find a way to eliminate the labor/transport cost. charge the scooter. get paid. immediately discharge it. let it mark itself as needing a charge. charge it again. get paid. permanent scooter farm in your basement

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

haveblue posted:

what's a dog supposed to do with a TV
comcast has an entire dog channel

messed up colors that are more 'real' to a dog, content that follows a cycle of calm, activity, alertness (e.g. vacuum cleaning or w/e) that quickly goes away

like... are you not monetizing your #content cross-species? leavin money on the table

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

JawnV6 posted:

comcast has an entire dog channel

messed up colors that are more 'real' to a dog, content that follows a cycle of calm, activity, alertness (e.g. vacuum cleaning or w/e) that quickly goes away

like... are you not monetizing your #content cross-species? leavin money on the table

so its animal fox news

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

haveblue posted:

yeah I'm saying find a way to eliminate the labor/transport cost. charge the scooter. get paid. immediately discharge it. let it mark itself as needing a charge. charge it again. get paid. permanent scooter farm in your basement

Capitalism working as intended

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

haveblue posted:

p. sure you have to deposit the scooters at a drop off point

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
dropoff point is probably a rpi you can steal and reverse engineer in an afternoon :v:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
or find a way to mess with their GPS

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think they require you take a picture too

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
3rd party site that coordinates people that want to scam scooter charge gigs and distributes payout, all while taking a 15% cut

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
scooter charge deepfake is your 2019 catchphrase

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
of all the moving parts in the business model "offload scooter hardware from china" i'd think the gig economy parts would have the screws on the tightest

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

They don't actually care if the business succeeds, it's a VC grift like everything else

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

there was a kid on bestoflegaladvice who had gathered up a mess of them and was charging them in a music practice room in his midwestern dorm basement

parking enforcement heard about this and got the dorm manager to let them in and confiscated them

but the app still thought they were in his possession so he was on the hook for them

he wanted to sue the U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

So... Is the speedometer also locked up, or is it correctly holding speed at 72?