Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Google Maps and the GPS Status app definitely have my location correct and precise. So weird. Definitely seems like things got stuck in a bad state somehow.

Maybe clear out all the Google app caches you can find in settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Crossposting from the Fi thread for the very few phones that use it:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/01/14/google-fi-announces-rcs-support-rolls-out-4g-lte-coverage-in-33-more-countries/

Fi now has carrier wide RCS.

However, this means nothing considering that only the Pixel 3 on Verizon can use RCS and I think T-Mobile....about it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/01/14/google-fi-announces-rcs-support-rolls-out-4g-lte-coverage-in-33-more-countries/

However, this means nothing considering that only the Pixel 3 on Verizon can use RCS and I think T-Mobile....about it.

Sprint supports some version of RCS but I don't know if it's interoperable.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
In non-completely stupid smartphone camera news, Oppo just announced a 10x optical zoom module for upcoming smartphones that uses a prismatic lens system. The prism bends the light at 90 degrees, so that the optical elements run the length of the phone and not the depth.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/5618578510/oppo-to-announce-10x-lossless-smartphone-zoom-camera

This is actually kinda cool. Compact camera makers used the same sort of lens assembly in super-thin compact cameras, like Sony in their T-series. It will make the phone a bit thicker as the sensor has to be oriented perpendicular, but not significantly.

It also means Oppo's not putting like, 50 camera modules on the back and using software tricks to create zoomed images.

grack fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 14, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If T-Mobile mobile rolls out RCS to the Pixel, I'm probably going to disable it in Messenger options since SMS Backup and Restore doesn't work with RCS messages.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

grack posted:

In non-completely stupid smartphone camera news, Oppo just announced a 10x optical zoom module for upcoming smartphones that uses a prismatic lens system. The prism bends the light at 90 degrees, so that the optical elements run the length of the phone and not the depth.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/5618578510/oppo-to-announce-10x-lossless-smartphone-zoom-camera

This is actually kinda cool. Compact camera makers used the same sort of lens assembly in super-thin compact cameras, like Sony in their T-series. It will make the phone a bit thicker as the sensor has to be oriented perpendicular, but not significantly.

It also means Oppo's not putting like, 50 camera modules on the back and using software tricks to create zoomed images.

It's a neat trick and will likely have some decent applications, but it's also going to cause a pretty sizable camera hump. It can't not with the sensor for that lens being in the opposite orientation.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ThermoPhysical posted:

Galaxy phones support RCS as well.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Desk Lamp posted:

So is RCS support not standard in Android? AT&T is supposed to support it, but I don't have that option on my Nokia 6.1. On the the other hand, I don't seem to have a visual voicemail option either.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

If the blog post is to be believed, they don't count data from RCS on Fi. That's super cool.

Unfortunately, it's not turned on for me yet.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like missing the weather in the widget is a bit of a more widespread:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/01/14/missing-the-weather-in-your-at-a-glance-widget-latest-google-beta-v-9-0-broke-it/

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
God damnit, why does the Motorola One only have a 720p screen? 1080p and I'd buy it in immediately to replace my G4 Plus.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I was going to comment how I used a 720p phone on a trip last year and it was OK, but goddamn, $400?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Welp. Serves me right for being on the beta channel! Thank you for linking that, appreciate it, glad I'm not insane.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Charles posted:

So is RCS support not standard in Android? AT&T is supposed to support it, but I don't have that option on my Nokia 6.1. On the the other hand, I don't seem to have a visual voicemail option either.

Theoretically, any Android phone using either Google or Samsung's messaging apps should support RCS as long as the carrier they're used on does.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

bull3964 posted:

If T-Mobile mobile rolls out RCS to the Pixel, I'm probably going to disable it in Messenger options since SMS Backup and Restore doesn't work with RCS messages.

If T-Mobile enables RCS, do I get it on Mint?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think the mvno's run their own text gateways.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

Only if you're on T-Mobile.

Verizon only supports RCS on the Pixel 3, T-Mobile on Galaxy phones, and any Android phone on Sprint.

So...yeah. Fi users are network wide as long as your phone is supported by Fi like the Pixels, Motos, LGs, and the Nexii.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

ThermoPhysical posted:

Only if you're on T-Mobile.

Verizon only supports RCS on the Pixel 3, T-Mobile on Galaxy phones, and any Android phone on Sprint.

So...yeah. Fi users are network wide as long as your phone is supported by Fi like the Pixels, Motos, LGs, and the Nexii.

They support carrier specific versions of RCS on all major carriers. They've got built in support for the new universal profile but only T-Mobile has rolled out support for it. You still get RCS features when messaging between Galaxy phones on the same network though.

E: some cursory googling tells me Verizon is the exception, they currently only support RCS on the Pixel 3.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 15, 2019

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I'm curious if RCS is some type of concession Google is trying to make to phone companies?

It seems painfully obvious at this point that a universal encrypted message service for Android would be far more beneficial than letting cell services keep your data so they can give it up to the first warrant/FBI/CIA/NSA request that comes their way.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Does anybody know if the Nokia 8.1 is out in Europe yet? It's on the Czech, Belgian, and UK sites that I've checked so far but it doesn't have a release date or any buying info. Nokia is really bad about publicizing their release dates.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Tetrabor posted:

I'm curious if RCS is some type of concession Google is trying to make to phone companies?

It seems painfully obvious at this point that a universal encrypted message service for Android would be far more beneficial than letting cell services keep your data so they can give it up to the first warrant/FBI/CIA/NSA request that comes their way.

I just kinda got the sense that this was a “well we tried like 7 things so you guys just figure it out now” move on Googles part

Also vaguely possible that Apple will eventually support RCS, but they’re not ever going to support gMessage.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 15, 2019

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tetrabor posted:

It is, and they were pretty explicit about it though I'm having trouble finding the blog post about it now. The long and short of it is on the one hand, the carriers are their customers and you're not, so they weren't about to make an iMessage clone that reduced carriers' role in providing messaging. On the other hand, it probably would've been difficult to say the least trying to force OEMs to use their iMessage clone even if they built it.

There's also the point that the carriers are very much in favor of turning over your data to anyone who asks for it. They aren't fans of encrypted communications on their network and as they're the customer they get what they want.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I got my S8+ back from repair after sitting around for months unused. Ugh, the screen is so nice. I think I'm gonna ditch the 2XL for the S8+ again (at least for the time being). Sucks to lose a conveniently placed fingerprint scanner, but that's that.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Huh, screens have all kind of converged for me. More or less. Got an LG G7 with IPS display and it seems roughly as good as the OLEDs of my previous Samsungs. I suppose Google is gimping the screen though.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

redeyes posted:

I suppose Google is gimping the screen though.

The 2XL was pretty heavily panned for having a kinda poo poo screen for a flagship phone. The 3XL is much better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The screen on my 6T would be nice if the auto brightness was worth a drat. I think the notch puts the ambient sensor too close to the screen because what's actually displaying influences the brightness way too much.

If I'm in the dark, I don't want a predominantly dark screen dimming further and then have an all white screen ramp up brightness and sear my retinas.

I used it for the majority of last week as my primary phone, but I was back to the P3 by the end of the week. Don't get me wrong, the 6T is a nice phone, but I pretty much had the feeling of "I'm home" after I went back to the P3. I basically got my 6T for free through so I'm not complaining.

The perception of size followed a weird curve. For the first day and a half I was doubting my choice of the P3 over the P3 XL, but by the end of the week I was happy to go back to a smaller and lighter phone.

The battery life is epic on the 6T due to the sheer size of it. It didn't actually consume less battery than my P3 from a mah perspective (slightly more actually) but the huge size of the battery meant I ended the day 20% higher than the P3.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, the panel on the 2xl is legitimately not good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The 3XL is night and day better, it was amazing switching.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

There's also the point that the carriers are very much in favor of turning over your data to anyone who asks for it. They aren't fans of encrypted communications on their network and as they're the customer they get what they want.

Counterpoint, they have towers and cable buried everywhere, so they're up to their eyeballs in government compliance, permits, right of ways, negotiations, etc. Fighting for your SMS privacy makes all that way more difficult for what upside?

Now, some how Apple was able to spin that into their problem and not the carriers, so I don't know why Google couldn't do something similar.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

FunOne posted:

Now, some how Apple was able to spin that into their problem and not the carriers, so I don't know why Google couldn't do something similar.

Apple makes money by selling you very expensive hardware. Google makes money by owning/selling your data. That gives them rather different perspectives on a lot of this.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

redeyes posted:

Huh, screens have all kind of converged for me. More or less. Got an LG G7 with IPS display and it seems roughly as good as the OLEDs of my previous Samsungs. I suppose Google is gimping the screen though.

It's certified for HDR on Netflix, along with the G6. Their current mobile lcd panels are legit.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FunOne posted:

Counterpoint, they have towers and cable buried everywhere, so they're up to their eyeballs in government compliance, permits, right of ways, negotiations, etc. Fighting for your SMS privacy makes all that way more difficult for what upside?

You are looking at it from exactly the opposite perspective from the carriers. They are enthusiastic partners with the government in surveiling you.

Apple can tell carriers to gently caress off because what are they going to do? Not offer the iPhone? Google cannot because even if they wanted to (they don't, see DrDork's post), their OEMs want to sell phones.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
meanwhile I just got a call saying I can pick up my P2XL tomorrow from the place that sent it away to repair the USB C port and I'm so excited about it. I can finally ditch this piece of poo poo Oppo

honestly I don't even care if the USB C port is still hosed at least I'll have normal notifications again

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Does anyone have experience replacing batteries on Galaxies (specifically S7)? Mine is pretty poo poo now after 2.5 years, and i'm not really in a position to upgrade the phone. I looked on Amazon for a new one but all the ones I looked at said they didn't support wireless charging or fast charging.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Replacing batteries on sealed, water-proofed phones is an epic pain in the rear end.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mastajake posted:

Does anyone have experience replacing batteries on Galaxies (specifically S7)? Mine is pretty poo poo now after 2.5 years, and i'm not really in a position to upgrade the phone. I looked on Amazon for a new one but all the ones I looked at said they didn't support wireless charging or fast charging.

Given grack's post above and the fact the S7 is pretty dated, is it reasonable to look for a way to apply the battery replacement cost to a new budget phone?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mastajake posted:

I haven't replaced one in the S7, but here's how you'd do it. Double glass with lots of glue looks like a bit of a pain.
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+S7+Battery+Replacement/90299

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

grack posted:

Replacing batteries on sealed, water-proofed phones is an epic pain in the rear end.

The Galaxy S5 was IP67 rated and had a headphone jack, microSD slot, and user replaceable battery in 2014.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

The Galaxy S5 was IP67 rated and had a headphone jack, microSD slot, and user replaceable battery in 2014.

...so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Does anyone have the Mi Mix 3? Got great reviews and might be my next phone.

Also I miss replaceable batteries, I don't need my phone to be wafer thin. In fact I used to love buying those huge Zero Lemon batteries that were 3 times capacity and not charging my phone for 3 days . But ah well