Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
If sprite edits are on the table, then sod it, let's be the Bizarro-Raven, Nevar.

Like in that one kids' TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Quantum Toast posted:

quote:

I was blown away by the quality, the story, and the characters.
To be fair, so were we.

To be fair, so was the train.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

PoptartsNinja posted:

To be fair, so was the train.

:golfclap:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Dead mom on the altar, I know, I know
It's serious
It's really serious

And I know my dad's cult
Just murdered her
(but you know, I was not
Remotely invested in her)
No, I don't really know her

Did you really think
This plot through?
Did you really think
This plot through?
Do...

It's serious

My, my, my, my, my, my, Mommy, goodbye...

Maybe you could have told
Us about her
('cause you know, I was not
Remotely invested in her)
Could you characterize her?

Did you really think
This plot through?
Did you really think
This plot through?
Do...

That dumb intro scene barely tries, I know
It's serious

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
So, wait, did that lady chuck a piano at a bunch of deoxys to kill them and save us? Before getting killed herself? :psyduck: Change our name to PianoMan to carry on her legacy.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
whoooo boy, here we go again

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...damnit EclecticTastes not again! :argh: Might as well start archiving straight away and save myself time later.

:siren: POKEMON REJUVENATION: THE MUSICAL :siren:

Girlfriend In A Coma by The Smiths - EclecticTastes
https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&threadid=3879037#post491581448

All aboard the new train :toot: (let's hope this one doesn't explode)

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 12, 2019

GoldGeno
Dec 26, 2018

I have to wonder, how is "Rejuvenation" gonna play into the plot of this game? That's at least something fangames are alright with. Uranium? Game's got nuclear dinosaurs. Reborn? That's the name of the league you're attempting to challenge in between bouts of really bad roleplay fanfiction. What does "Rejuvenation" have in store for us?

...I mean, aside from obviously trying to just ape the name "Reborn" without seeming to understand that there is actually context to that name but whatever

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender

GoldGeno posted:

I have to wonder, how is "Rejuvenation" gonna play into the plot of this game? [/s]

The game's icon is Xerneas' head, so the plot probably involves it at some point.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Oh dear, another lovely pokemon fangame. This will be fun. Godspeed and god bless, Doggie.

Also, how long will it take for the opening to become relevant again? Because I'm legitimately curious* as to what the gently caress that edgelord business was about.

*morbidly curious as to what it was about, at any rate

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

If I had to guess? Sacrifice your loved ones to Poke-Satan to rejuvenate yourself and live forever or something.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Oh no.

Why am I bookmarking this, i have problems

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

FPzero posted:

Oh no.

Why am I bookmarking this, i have problems

A cruel fascination with something dark and terrible.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

Pugnacious Doggie posted:

So this is the prompt for the character selection in the game and we are greeted by this face. I genuinely can't put my finger on it, but there is something deeply unsettling about this portrait.

Yeah, the art in this game is really terrible. Every character has broken spines and weirdly shaped faces, but the anatomy is just so that you can tell it's wrong, but not be able to tell specifically whats wrong with it. Which I normally wouldn't have a problem with that because yeah art is hard but the artist (Zumi) has had a few years to improve working on this game but it consistently shows the same mistakes and its the most annoying thing ever. The portrait's eyes aren't the same size, and the hairline makes the face seem like it ends with the strand of her hair that goes straight down from the under the fringe. Still much, much better than the old portrait...

Edit: actually it looks like she used copy/paste/transform and it ended up smooshed

Some of the worst is in the cover art too, so every time you open the game you have a chance to see a couple different works (all with similar mistakes).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H6o8sKiDqSjZTDC3qarc0CsfTU8bDkOZ

A few things first, their anatomy is wrong: Blondie's face is nearly doing a 180 to look to the side and only her hair is blowing in the wind dramatically. Purple wouldn't actually be looking up if she's looking at Blondie because she's standing behind her, so her line of sight actually ends up going too high. Cause I don't wanna type up an essay on every detail of every single drawing in the game, I sketched something to compare the two. Now I'm not a professional artist, so there are mistakes in mine too. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ISDk4CpcsmdaJOBILCwbWRGKKzcxU7h9

Lyumia fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 12, 2019

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Shoot me! Shoot me now! Someone linked to this thread in the Reborn LP one and that means it's now bookmarked by yours truly.

Let's see if it's better or worse than Reborn then.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Its Not mY AGe To Do AnY woRk,no luv No joB I Am fRee Now.

Kitfox88 posted:

So, wait, did that lady chuck a piano at a bunch of deoxys to kill them and save us? Before getting killed herself? :psyduck: Change our name to PianoMan to carry on her legacy.

We already established that we don't like PianoLady, she only perpetuated our meaningless and painful existence. :colbert:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Did the game just skip over the part where the bombs explode? A bunch of people show up and say “hey we have bombs on the ship, do what we say” and then you teleport and the bombs have already exploded and evil Pokémon are, uh, abducting people or whatever.

It sounds like they just planned to set off the bombs either way but then why pretend to be hijackers?

Oh, whatever, who needs consistency.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Oh no, another one of these.

Oh no, people are doing songs already.

Oh no.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Haifisch posted:

Oh no, another one of these.

Oh no, people are doing songs already.

Oh no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHQ6ba-n12E

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Mamma mia, here we go again.

I sure am, uh, glad that we can have the Reborn(s) in Stereo now. One for each half of my brain to suffer through.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly, there's something to be said about how badly Reborn hurt us that not only is the "The End. No moral." crew here, but also up to the exact same things we were in the Reborn thread (meaning, wondering why we keep doing this to ourselves, while EclecticTastes gives us some drat good music parody, Lyumia comes in with interesting info, etc.). Not only is Rejuvenation following the steps of Reborn, so are we following our own.

It's an impressive contrast with the other fangame thread spawned from OFS' Reborn, where we go to purify ourselves from this evil and actually enjoy something for things that should be enjoyed in the first place.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

These two look stoned as gently caress

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

These two look stoned as gently caress

Those beautiful thousand yard stares :allears:

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

:cripes: The first time I saw this I legitimately thought the red lines were blood and the girl on the left had her throat cut.

The worst thing is that didn't seem out of the ordinary at all for this game.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

TheKirbs posted:

:cripes: The first time I saw this I legitimately thought the red lines were blood and the girl on the left had her throat cut.

The worst thing is that didn't seem out of the ordinary at all for this game.

Haha, I traced over it to show how narrow the face looked bc it's hard to see with all the hair but honestly yeah it really wouldn't be out of the ordinary because there's definitely a lot of blood in this game. Really saturated blood that makes it look like food coloring rather than blood, but blood none the less.

Edit: E11 came out with new cover art and it's marginally better so I guess Zumi pulled it together some.

Lyumia fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 14, 2019

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Shoot me! Shoot me now! Someone linked to this thread in the Reborn LP one and that means it's now bookmarked by yours truly.

Let's see if it's better or worse than Reborn then.

Does it really matter if it's better or worse than Reborn?
Either way we'll all be wanting a quick end to our miserable existence before we reach the first gym.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

This one at least is supposedly made by someone who actually likes Pokemon games, as opposed to someone who hates the series doing it for the :10bux:

And there are hopefully fewer real-life tragedies incorporated into the game.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Commander Keene posted:

This one at least is supposedly made by someone who actually likes Pokemon games, as opposed to someone who hates the series doing it for the :10bux:

From what I've played, it makes a pretty big difference. It doesn't even come close to fixing the game, but it helps.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Look, we have an insatiable hunger for terrible things to complain about.
It's a pretty bad flaw in the human condition if I'm being perfectly honest.

(Also Pokemon Dark Rising can kinda go screw. but that's another thing)

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

Welcome back to Arceus' Adventures in AeviumTM! If you haven't been following, we've witnessed three live sacrifices to Arceus by a religious extremist, learned that they player character's mother may not actually be their mother, or even alive and our alleged mother in question was just kidnapped by the evil villain team who use Deoxys. Our cruise ship sank and we only escaped because of a falling piano and a stranger's Talonflame. In short, it's been a pretty miserable day for Arceus, but it's going to get worse.

Just quickly, I mentioned before that my LP footage was from an outdated version, so I had to sit through the entire intro sequence again to see if anything was different. Needless to say, it's 10 minutes of my life I won't ever get back.

Anyway, this isn't new, but there was foreshadowing in the intro which wasn't included in Chapter 1.

aaaaaa

Crescent now has a shiny Gothitelle. Here's a better looking image.

Yes, it's that unfortunate.

There are now mini cinematics marking each chapter, which is a nice touch.
Unfortunately, there is no need for the old bootleg Raven sprite, but there are still vestigial signs of Raven

Unfortunately, the existence of multiple player characters has caused a paradox to occur, and it's up to us to fix it! We don't have our starter yet, but we are at least given a rental team. We can initiate the fight by entering in here.

As you can see, the world is tearing itself apart.

Rejuvenation follows the trend of putting the fish in an unreachable area. What makes this really insulting is that there is even code for it to be added to your party if you interact with it, but I never found a way of doing it. :(

Oh god it's bootleg Raven. she wasn't needed anymore after I found the original trainer 5, but the programming and sprite still exists. I'm absolutely positive I'm going to be drawn into a pointless battle. I decided that I would record the battle because it is reasonably important in helping give Arceus more motivation to explore the region.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1DfiS299nQ

It's a pretty hard fight, but Arceus manages to win. Anyone who recognises the final Pokemon has a big brain! I find the ending to be really distressing because in the end, we do forget bootleg Raven, almost immediately. She never existed. This is the bad ending of Pokemon Rejuvenation, and we got it because I disregarded the relationship point system. In Pokemon Rejuvenation, absolutely no-one is safe. It's a mature storyline, and we will lose characters who are really important to us. I know everyone wanted the LP to use Bootleg Raven, which makes her demise even more painful in the end. Her image files don't even exist anymore, so she is unrecoverable. This ending shows us how far people are willing to go for self preservation, and she realises the devastating effects of this all too late. Rejuvenation poses complex moral questions which we feel uncomfortable being confronted with. Was it really in our authority to commit uninstall on bootleg Raven, whose only goal was to lead a happy and fulfilling life? The end. Didactic moral. :(

Finally, Rejuvenation gives a choice from all 21 starters. Which one should I pick and what nickname do we want for when I actually begin, you know, playing the game? To be honest this entire chapter was just me putting off actually having to play the game, sorry if you didn't want Bootleg Raven's tragic backstory.

Pugnacious Doggie fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 26, 2019

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

We should use a Litten.

Called Stan, Hansen, or both.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Rowlet named Owlfred or Owlivia

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Draxion posted:

We should use a Litten.

Called Stan, Hansen, or both.

Stan Hansen the Litten

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Leraika posted:

Rowlet named Owlfred or Owlivia

This. Birb must be always.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I'll be honest I completely lost track of what is going on.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
Popplio named Pagliacci, please

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I also lost track, and it doesn't help that the video link is broken. There is a video to be watched, but the embed is wrong. Here's the vid:

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

I say try to go for one of the ULTRA SECRET STARTERS.

Pugnacious Doggie
Dec 18, 2018

FPzero posted:

I also lost track, and it doesn't help that the video link is broken. There is a video to be watched, but the embed is wrong. Here's the vid:

Jesus Christ of course it was. Thank you for fixing this! The link should work now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Pugnacious Doggie posted:

Jesus Christ of course it was. Thank you for fixing this! The link should work now.

No problem! I wasn't sure at first whether or not the broken video was on my end or part of the whole joke or what since no one had mentioned it yet, but then I saw it just appeared to be a bad embed.